Canoe question

Author
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
  • Reward points: 0
2018/06/05 10:05:43 (permalink)

Canoe question

Was looking at a new sundophin canoe can pick it up for a pretty cheap price. Planning on mounting a trolling motor on it. So I can take people out on it.

But my question is how stable are they without me mounting stabilizers on it. Going to be mostly using it on smaller lakes with the biggest being Shawnee, most boating experience I have is with kayaks but a nice fishing tandem cost as much as a decked out canoe lol

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...

3 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Canoe question 2018/06/05 10:18:35 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    Was looking at a new sundophin canoe can pick it up for a pretty cheap price. Planning on mounting a trolling motor on it. So I can take people out on it.

But my question is how stable are they without me mounting stabilizers on it. Going to be mostly using it on smaller lakes with the biggest being Shawnee, most boating experience I have is with kayaks but a nice fishing tandem cost as much as a decked out canoe lol

I've fished out of canoes a good bit, don't like them at all these days.  My legs get real cramped up because there isn't much room to move around, you're kind of stuck in one position all day. 

If you're spin fishing from them, they aren't too bad, fly casting suckz.  Canoes that I've used are not at all stable.  Forget about standing up to cast unless you have stabilizers. 

Now, if there is no other boat to use, or if I wanted to go somewhere with limited to no access, a canoe is a good choice because you can carry it. Other than that, no thanks.  Some people really like them, I'm just not one of those people.  I owned a canoe for over 10 years & used to fish High Point regularly with it.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Canoe question 2018/06/05 12:42:12 (permalink)
    Spent many hours fishing from a 17' Coleman Scanoe with square stern using a 30 lb thrust electric on the Allegheny and area lakes.  Square stern being the key, allowing for accessories like one man loaders and dolly's which went by the wayside when we bought a trailer.   
    We never had an issue as far as "dumping" and that canoe would be loaded, leaving just enough room for two people, with everything but the kitchen sink when we went for three day excursions on the Allegheny.  Like anything else, it pays to follow the rules and heed the safety warnings.  Also, until you build the necessary stamina, it pays to take frequent breaks which helps to prevent that sudden urge to stretch by squirming around or standing in the canoe..... not good.

Electric motor is the cats meow for the plastic tubs as we learned, the plastic creates far more drag than the aluminium or fiberglass canoes.  While that not may seem like "a big whoop", if ya gotta paddle one of them things into a headwind your gonna sleep well at bed time.

Being of plastic, there is a definite difference in the rigidness of the bottom of the tub but we overcame that by adding a piece of plywood which of course, increased the weight and must be removed (if not attached) before use of a dolly or one man loader.

Anyhow, now that I'm done "floating my boat" MountainMan, may I suggest (if not already done) you search the internet for reviews, on the canoe of your choice, including searching Youtube.

Good times and tight lines..... there's no place like good memories on the water.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/06/05 12:53:44

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Canoe question 2018/06/07 08:26:08 (permalink)
    Roundabout 2 seater:  https://roundaboutwatercrafts.com/product/boat-two-seat-motor/  :D

Now I'm too fat to share mine, but if you are thinking of getting in a canoe chances are you're smaller than me.  You won't tip this thing over.  
    Jump to: