Helpful ReplyRod Holder Recommendations

Author
Dolores Malone
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2018/04/25 01:34:49 (permalink)

Rod Holder Recommendations

Now that I have figured out the degree of rod holder I need I am looking for input on brands. I need heavy duty as they will be used for deep dropping and daytime swording. These are flush mount with a backing plate. I want molded or welded pins, stainless steel. 
Your advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Rod Holder Recommendations 2018/04/25 11:04:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2018/04/25 15:04:21
Don't get plastic holders at all with those requirements.  Get someone to fabricate them out of aluminum.  I got my trees from the Great Lakes guys.  Let me see if I can find a link... https://store.greatlakesplaners.com/  Something like that isn't going to shatter when you have a couple hundred pounds of swordfish on the line.  And there are a lot of people doing that kind of fab. Just need to search around for the ones you like.  
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: Rod Holder Recommendations 2018/04/25 15:16:17 (permalink)
python73
Don't get plastic holders at all with those requirements.  Get someone to fabricate them out of aluminum.  I got my trees from the Great Lakes guys.  Let me see if I can find a link... https://store.greatlakesplaners.com/  Something like that isn't going to shatter when you have a couple hundred pounds of swordfish on the line.  And there are a lot of people doing that kind of fab. Just need to search around for the ones you like.  

X2 on Zelie's comment, it is expensive initially, but long term it is the best option if you are trolling for much beyond crappie or small walleye.  We have used the type you show (Though I admit it was 10+ years ago, so older generation plastics and gears) and they just didn't hold up, literally they began not holding the rods up at anything below about a 60 degree angle after a couple years of moderate use.  You would set the rod at 45 degrees and within a short while they would have dropped to the tip about dragging in the water. 

If they are the only option in your price range go for the heaviest rating you can and use a safety lanyard on your rod to avoid losing it to a heavy strike. 

Jump to: