Helpful ReplyArthur!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Author
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/05 08:57:24 (permalink)
Hit it the night bite on Tuesday. Strange night. Lots of heat lightning and rain threatened but a dry warm muggy night otherwise with a yellow cast to the fading day that equals tornados where I'm from.

Had the next day off so I pulled an all-nighter. Fished the coves and lily pads until dark but couldn't buy a bite if I had wanted.
Anchored up on a shallow ledge. Lots of boats anchored up in the shallows. Threw bombers and live-lined alewives all night but didn't see or hear of a wiper. End result was a big fat zero. Not even a catfish which is unheard of!

One of locals said it was a slow night so that made me feel a little better. Heading up late tonight to see if I can improve my luck.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/05 10:18:04 (permalink)
Old Dog - I'll take the oppressive heat over snow any day.  Granted, it does make the simplest tasks, like mowing the lawn, a real chore.  Just got to get things done early, and have AC working!  No doubt, half way between is my choice, and I guess why we live around here.

SEB - I've had similar days.  It is just strange how they react from one day to the next.  I'd bet with this heat wave, many are finding more comfort in the deeper cooler water.  If they are finding food there, then likely filling up there and not pounding the shallows as much in the hot water.  I think the lake has been getting some rain, so might have those shallows a bit cooler than Tuesday evening.  Hopefully you get redemption.  Those all night skunkings really make you second guess if it is worth it!

SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/05 10:19:40 (permalink)
If it happens again tonight I'm just going to start throwing grenades in the water.
startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/05 22:27:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2018/07/05 23:30:31
We got seven eyes and a huge catfish wednesday morning early, then they went back to lockjaw pretty quick and for the rest of the morning. Just tiny spinners with crawlers.
BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/10 05:15:02 (permalink)
What up Guy's  Was up the lake last week and of coarse had to throw the BIG lure at many boats trying to CHEESE in on me . I don't understand what these people think ? They hear the monster lure slapping the water within a foot of them and still keep coming ?? Started with some cats till dark, Then threw anchor and sat for a bit and that's when simpletons started to come in. I wasn't even fishing for the stripers yet. Did alright few cats and few stripers fair in size.  Oh Yeah almost ran over a yack at 3 am out in the middle of the lake with NO FREAKING nav lights what so ever.  This SCHMUCK started yelling at me ????  Had to laugh and move on, Hell maybe he'll become cat fish bait some day LOL  

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/10 07:07:48 (permalink)
lol......Yea those yack guys must love dangerous fishing conditions . Watch them on Shenango bobbing like drift wood when those high powered boats blow by at 50 MPH and throwing a 4 foot wake. It's an unlimited HP lake dummy !
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/10 08:27:50 (permalink)
Pulled another all-nighter on Saturday. Little chilly and windy. Found a nice spot tucked away from the wind and anchored up at dark.

Tossed bombers and ran alewives all night long. No luck on the bombers but the alewives were hot. Caught more catfish than I could count and a half dozen undersized wipers. Hooked what felt like a big wiper but he spat the hook-- the circle hooks I was using were too small because Field and Stream was out of stock of large circle hooks. I was more than a little annoyed. A good night all together though and called it a night at 2AM.

Ditto on the yakkers Bighead. I was fishing the creek behind the dam and two yaks were in the channel at dusk. No lights and one empty because a kid was swimming. Luckily I'm a good citizen and always watch my speed at night.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/10 09:49:00 (permalink)
Bighead you were your own worst enemy, slapping the water with a MONSTER LURE, the doorknobs thought it was hybrids.

Captain as you know, all power boat operators are responsible (in PA.) for any damage/injury caused from their wake. With the sudden influx of yaks, wind surfing, PWC, etc  I'm guessing it won't be much longer before we see more sections of Shenango River Lake designated "NO WAKE" areas.

Amazes me, all the safety the PFBC preaches yet, un-powered water craft are not required to, at minimum, display a 360 degree white light after sunset.  The last I read, only recommend their be a flashlight, whistle, etc.  However, aaand as usual, I shall stand corrected.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

PaYakr
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/10 16:32:38 (permalink)
All kayakers are required to have a whistle day or night. They are required to have a hand held light and required to shine that light overhead if approached by another vessel. A white 360 light is required when anchored during the hours of darkness. The regulations are written so that no boater should run up on a kayak with no lights at night. If that happens then the kayaker is in violation. Unfortunately, as Captain Hook pointed out, some people either think the regulations don’t apply to them or they never educated themselves in the first place.
BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/11 04:44:28 (permalink)
BTDT   LOL No Shiiiiiiiitttttt   Yeah well they did till I landed it in their BOAT   LOL  Good thing for them I took the trebles off Ehhh   Yaker's and the docks are quite the cluster Funk Man you just have to laugh at these people and wonder how the freak they have made it through life this FAR ????????   Captain as you know, all power boat operators are responsible (in PA.) for any damage/injury caused from their wake. With the sudden influx of yaks, wind surfing, PWC, etc  I'm guessing it won't be much longer before we see more sections of Shenango River Lake designated "NO WAKE" areas.  Well I can ALWAYS use extra cat bait Yeah   LOL 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/15 09:46:09 (permalink)
Know most don't care for them but these have really picked up in the last week...
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/15 14:45:52 (permalink)
Nice fish! Those things avoid me like the plague.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/17 10:00:32 (permalink)
SpreadEagleBeagle
Nice fish! Those things avoid me like the plague.

Yeah, it isn't like most of us don't care for them.  They just don't seem to care to bite my hooks..  Great fish though.
SlipperySmitt
  • Total Posts : 403
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 00:07:51 (permalink)
Too many yacks and such, certain places tough to fish at certain times..... Trips need to be planned a bit differently now! 

Smitty

Member since prior to Aug 2001. My profile on the side got messed up.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 10:26:21 (permalink)
There is a rule written somewhere, not sure if in PFBC handbook.  If kayak doesn't have a fishing rod visibly mounted or in hand, you are legally permitted to run the kayak over.  Will post when I find a link.

Subsection of this rule.  If kayak not displaying light after dusk, no matter if fishing or not, they are to be treated like any sort of passing wake.  I know you all try to get some air on passing wake, going 8mph on your 800lb boats too!  I'm still convinced after about 2000 fails, it will happen.

This could have been written in the Porta John in the parking lot of Cal's General Store.  
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1939
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 14:10:11 (permalink)
I dunno man, the kayakers arent the problem at arthur in my opinion. Every time I fish there, guys in powered boats will blast past me, within casting distance, full throttle, throwing wake, etc... guys trolling the road bed practically bump my hull because they can’t go around a guy who is clearly anchored up. No consideration for other boaters at all.
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 14:14:35 (permalink)
you anchor in a kayak?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 16:08:12 (permalink)
If boats are blasting past, it wasn’t me! You can probably paddle as fast as my boat. As long as you are fishing, you’re good in my book! I have no issues with 90% of kayakers. Same with no issues with 90% of shore anglers or 90% of power boat anglers. Some, no matter what they are doing are clueless.
Got to admit, I was out trolling about 3 weeks ago, and wasn’t paying attention, fumbling around with what I wasn’t going to catch anything with next. When I looked up, I saw a guy anchored, who I knew was there. Now there were 2 boats trolling at different speeds towards me, each taking a different side to him. Neither wanted to go wide. There was a good steady 10-15mph wind, that had controlling with an electric motor a challenge too. So had me stuck going straight at the anchored boat. I used my trolling motor to slow down and fight the wind and not tangle lines with the other guys trolling. Then passed the guys that were anchored, and gave me the “you are an idiot” look. Well deserved. I apologized for getting too close, which I am pretty sure they realized why.
When the winds are going and guys pass me tight trolling, I have no issues. I don’t expect guys to give me 30-50 yards of space then. When anchored fishing a shoreline, things are definitely different.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 17:58:01 (permalink)
MyWar
I dunno man, the kayakers arent the problem at arthur in my opinion. Every time I fish there, guys in powered boats will blast past me, within casting distance, full throttle, throwing wake, etc... guys trolling the road bed practically bump my hull because they can’t go around a guy who is clearly anchored up. No consideration for other boaters at all.

I havta agree with this. I don't know if it's ignorance or if some just don't know proper boater etiquette. I am one to "crawl " past another vessel within 50 yards. Also, I see zero respect for shore fishers. I guess the "gold rush" mentality that has hit Arthur this season is a giant reason also. Especially on that road. Oh well. Guess we just wait em out until every last walleye is boxed. Then maybe it can go back to being "The Dead Sea".
PAJAY
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 19:56:17 (permalink)

do this it works ! buzz them back then if then give you the finger tell them to pull to the dock and settle it . haven't found a man yet . I'm sorry guys I'm so tired of the white trash out there it has to stop now ! this is not the way I was raised but enough is enough . 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/25 23:04:34 (permalink)
Welllll I can guarantee, it ain't me buzzing around yinz guyz 'cause  I do not own a 'yak'. 

But yinz ain't alone, it happens on all the lakes whether they be little motor lakes or haul asz towing screaming kids on a rubber tube lakes.

Always gonna be "doorknobs".

Good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/26 00:03:17 (permalink)
GilliganJR
you anchor in a kayak?

I anchor in a 14' aluminum V hull. I don't kayak at Arthur.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/26 13:03:09 (permalink)
I anchor my big round fatguy kayak at Arthur.  And plenty of kayak guys have anchors.  The issue with kayakers isn't so much boat vs kayak but fishermen vs pleasure types.  99% of the idiots in kayaks aren't fishing.  Just paddling around and screaming at each other from 2 feet away like they own the lake.  Back in the day it was sailboaters.  Those jerks would run right at you with a grin, knowing you had to get out of their way.  Probably still happens, but I mostly stay out of their part of the lake.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/26 14:03:03 (permalink)
When I used my kayak (it has been sitting behind my shed for about 5 years untouched), I used an anchor.  Nothing more annoying than pulling up on a spot at Arthur, getting my paddle in the holder, getting my rod ready to cast, and the evil Arthur winds have me 30 yards from where I was!  I used a 1lb weight with a chain attached.  Worked well.  Now, I am too lazy to load that thing up and paddle around.  My back gets all out of whack if I am sitting still for more than an hour too.  I have to be standing when fishing.

Agree with Sam to an extent on the pleasure boaters.  There are definitely some idiot fishermen, but many more are pleasure boaters.  To an extent, that you are pretty much going to have a situation if you are fishing near the boat rental area on a weekend.  Some of those clowns must think, if paying that much to rent a pontoon, they instantly have the right of way...  Anchored, drifting, whatever, you better be ready for a close encounter if fishing near that area. 

I do my best to keep my distance from everyone.  I will definitely go slow if in a tight space with kayakers, and don't have the space to do a large half circle around them.  If they are going to venture into the open areas of the lake, they're going to have wake to deal with when on that lake, even if a boat passes 1/2 mile away.  Same thing with shore fishermen or anyone.  If you are going to Arthur, you should expect to deal with wake.  No doubt, some bozos will go top speed and come close enough that you smell their exhaust fumes.  Or, go between you and the shore line you are casting at...
Ironcityirish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/26 18:01:53 (permalink)
Hey guys long time viewer first time poster.  I had a near head on last year boat to boat. We were approaching each other shore to my right (starboard), 200 yards out i move to my right (starboard).... so does he, 100 yards I move to my right (starboard).... so does he at this point I just put my hand up to my right (starboard). 20-30 yards out he goes to my right (starboard) again and passes me probably 10-20ft off my gunnel and I get a friendly wave from the passenger.

This year up by the cabin docks had lady driving a pontoon full of people come so close to me I had to troll out of the way. Mind you this is a weekday (I think) late May so we are the only 2 boats I can see up there I'm 10 ft off the bank and she wasn't going anywhere that there was a reason to be there on top of me. 

I try to go during low traffic times but sometimes I end up there on a Saturday afternoon and its always a mess.

Cheers!
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/30 11:29:44 (permalink)
i think most pleasure kayakers are uneducated in general.  obviously not saying all kayakers are dopes.  but, from what ive seen this year is annoying.  the rental companies should do a better job at teaching the rentees.  one huge pet peeve is when people launch their kayaks at the boat ramp.  especially when theres a beach or grassy spot nearby that would suffice.  brought the trailer down twice to take the boat out, once right before a storm, only to have two unoccupied kayaks sitting their while the owners parked and walked down.  yo, put ur kayak in the grass or something until you're ready to launch.  this was a bear run where as we know the rental companies dump off their renters. and theres a great kayak slide area just to the left.  and right for that mater.  get your kayak the F away from boat launches.
PAJAY
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/30 12:12:08 (permalink)
I know this makes me look bad I give them sometime until they start BS ing to each other I just start back like I don't see them they move . But these are not rental junk kayaks very expensive ones I would think Move or whoops . I slow down for anyone that IS FISHING I DONT CARE WHAT YOU ARE IN ! Its called respect .
now I fished yough dam this weekend I expected water skiers jets flying by me hell some of them boats cost more then my house ! I would want to enjoy it  as much as I can on plain.  but seen 3 boats fishing one with plainer boards I gave them all the room in the lake .  
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/30 12:46:44 (permalink)
My son was fishing Pool 4 on the Allegheny Saturday, and he texted me to say he'd finally seen a Jet-Ski that he liked. It was bein' towed by a boat back to the dock!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
PAJAY
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/30 13:34:47 (permalink)
seen something odd at yough lake a jet ski on trailer no lock on trailer just one ski this was at day break so had to be there over night wonder if it was a sting operation ? 
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur! 2018/07/30 14:19:08 (permalink)
I really don’t get the hate for the kayakers in this thread. I easily see 10:1 motorized boats to kayaks at Arthur, and I have never had a single problematic encounter with a kayaker in the water. You think rental kayaks are bad? The absolute worst are the rented pontoons. I’m surprised that drownings and collisions don’t happen every weekend with the way some of those idiots behave.

I mainly stick to the area around the 528 launch so maybe it’s different in other parts of the lake. But it’s definitely the guys in other powered craft that have made me reluctant to fish Arthur these days, not the kayaks.
post edited by MyWar - 2018/07/30 14:22:16
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Jump to: