Helpful ReplyBerkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line

Author
pghh_flytier
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2018/03/22 08:04:37 (permalink)

Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line

Probably have too much time on my hands waiting for the weather to warm up, but I have been online researching fishing line. Have been reading stories and watching videos about this new kind of fishing line called Nanofil. They say it will cast twice as far as standard monofilament. I'm ready to go out and buy some four pound test for the upcoming trout season. Because it is so expensive I'd like to hear if anybody else has used it and what their thoughts are. Originally I was planning on spooling flouro 4 pound. Anybody use these for trout, or should I just go with the old faithful trident?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/22 08:30:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby old dog 2018/03/22 20:36:16
No idea about the line, but do you really need to cast twice as far? If so, how often? Would that be primarily for lake use?

Not sure casting distance is an issue on most trout streams. I had a conversation with a prominent fly fishing instructor many years ago. He was demonstrating how to cast an entire fly line, about 90 feet, with just the top section of the rod. Then he did it with no rod at all, just superior timing. When I told him how impressive that was his response was interesting — “Yeah, it’s a cool parlor trick that can win a few bucks from your buddies, but if you are serious about catching a trout in a stream (he was talking about PA) you should never have to cast more than 30 feet. If you do, you can’t control the drift properly. Instead of learning to cast better, learn to wade better and get close enough to be effective.”

I recall when the metal, big head drivers first came out (I had quit golfing by then, but still liked to listen in on the latest) and claimed to add 50 yards to the average golfer’s drive. I mentioned this to a golfer friend of mine and his response was, “Great, now I can hit the ball 50 yards further into the woods.”

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/22 12:43:32 (permalink)
You can use Paracord for pelletheadz

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/22 12:59:47 (permalink)
Got to agree with Dardys if you are using in a stream.  If using in a lake, then why not go with a braid?  I would be shocked if anyone could cast further with Nanofil than braid of the same strength.  You'd need a leader on the braid, if fishing clear water.  But most PA lakes don't seem to be very clear water.  

It sounds like a good line for casting spoons/plugs into Lake Erie, as it is often rather clear and you are looking for distance.  If you are fishing something similar, than sounds like t would be worth a try.  If fishing the average stained water reservoirs that I fish in WPA, I wouldn't see the benefit over braid.  I will often take off the leader, and usually doesn't usually affect the bite too.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/22 14:34:46 (permalink)
I have a couple of friends that started to use it last year & you could not get it off of them with a crowbar. It does cast farther than any other line I have seen,but casting distance is also affected by using the right rod & reel. I don't like it because it is too supple for me & makes it tough to tie knots especially in a breeze. I don't use braid because of the noise that it makes while reeling. We did find that using line lube such as Reel Magic will ruin the nano.  It does seem to hold knots better than braid & it doesn't seem to matter if you use a leader or not. That said, I will stay with Trilene xl. Seldom have probs & 1/3 the cost. Also because the claim that it is 1/2 the diam. of mono. 4lb will be the diam. of 2# thus thinner & will darn near cut your finger off when you try to break it by hand.   jmo   sam
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/23 08:15:09 (permalink)
I have used nanofil in 3 4 and 6 lb test. It does cast very well. I wouldn't say twice as far, but in my case I can cast lighter offerings just as far as heavier ones with regular braid. Example, a small piece of bread on a hook with no weight or bobber easily makes it to the center of the small pond I fish for carp on top at. Probably get an extra 10 feet with the nanofil over the 6lb power pro braid. It is smooth and quiet through the guides. It will cut your fingers if you pull on it. It is slicker than braid and some knots will slip. There are knot recommendations with instructions right in the box. The closest thing I've used to it is fireline. It frays a bit like fireline, but I much prefer the nanofil. I always use a mono or flouro leader with it.
post edited by FishinGuy - 2018/03/23 09:07:34
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/23 19:23:19 (permalink)
So, is this stuff thinner than PowerPro for the same lb? I trusted the people on this site that PowerPro was the way to go. Disappointed, hate you all! Sounds like something to consider for my saltwater metal launcher. I hate taking off $20 of perfectly fine PowerPro though. But if you can get an extra 10’ with a peice of bread, I bet that is an extra 100’ or so, with an oz or two casting spoon.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/23 23:19:13 (permalink)
I'd say it's about the same diameter, but at 3 or 6lb thickness it's hard to judge. I think it's all about the smoothness of the line. It doesn't have the texture like braid. It does fray a but easier than power pro. For the record I love power pro and use it on most of my heavier rods.
PAJAY
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/24 18:30:24 (permalink)
i wanted to try it but I honestly have no use what so ever for Berkely line I have never had good luck with it myself . my thinking is why would i pay all that money for your top line when you can put a little more technology in your other lines . I have been using  yo zuri hybrid string  cheap and strong .  
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/24 23:01:10 (permalink)
The only other berkley lines I've used in the past decade or so have been vanish, vanish transition, and fireline. I'm not a fan of any of those fwiw. Nanofil does have some of the fraying issues like the fireline, but I like it better than that. I would definitely classify it as a braided line in terms of it's qualities. It floats, it's opaque, it has no stretch, it's slippery.
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/25 12:37:52 (permalink)
It does cast nice, but it's too slippery. forget about a double uni leader knot holding.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/25 14:12:38 (permalink)
ShenangoEyes
It does cast nice, but it's too slippery. forget about a double uni leader knot holding.
what pound test have you tried this with? Just curious. It does say right in the packaging to use their leader knot.
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/26 07:02:19 (permalink)
that's a double albright, a double uni is an easier knot to tie (for me, at least.) So, I can attest that the double uni will not hold well on nanofill. The double Albright is a p.i.a to tie on the water.
pghh_flytier
New Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/26 08:14:25 (permalink)
I'm hooked and am going to try either the 4 o 6 pound test. A lake close to home is great for trout early in the season, but could never put my spinners out where they seem to be hitting. I'll report the results(or lack of) after trying it out. Thanks for all the responses.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/26 09:20:00 (permalink)
Have you ever tried a triple or quadruple surgeon's knot?  That double Albright does look like a complete PIA if any sort of wind or cold hands.  Triple seems to work fine with Powerpro, maybe one more pass through for this Nanofil?  Heck, running it through 10 times, looks easier than that double Albright (although if using a long leader, it is a PIA in it's own right).
ShenangoEyes
Novice Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/26 10:24:21 (permalink)
I dunno if a surgeons knot would work. I've always used double unis with other braids, but that nanofil is slicker than frog snot.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/26 12:58:05 (permalink)
I've had lots of practice with the Albright on heavier line with my catfish rigs. It's a bit trickier with lighter leader. But I manage. The uni splice has worked for me with the nanofil, I just do about 10 wraps on the uni knot on the nanofil. But again, I'm using light line. Which is why I asked what lb test you're using, shenangoeyes. I've had a few regular Palomar knots slip, but leaving the tag a touch long and melting it with a lighter puts my mind at ease there. For spinner fishing I'd do a double or single melted Palomar to a swivel, then the leader, then the spinner. I think you'll really like it for spinner fishing. Like any braid, you have to be a bit careful reeling in the slack line when you're float fishing to avoid a big bird'snest on the next cast. Casting out with a loose loop on the spool can be real ugly.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/27 11:19:50 (permalink)
I always used an improved albright on my mono topshots on my saltwater geat (usually #50 or #80 power pro mainline) and never had a problem.  Wonder if it would work on the nanofil.
http://leadertec.com/tips...s/knots_imp_albrt.html
looch325
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/27 13:43:37 (permalink)
I used it the end of last year. I used the 14lb with some heavy lures(whopper plopper) trying to get my lure out to where I knew stripers were schooling casting from shore end of Beaver River. I definitely got some extra distance but not double. Caught quite a few pike and 1 muskie with it and no steel leader. I used John Collins knot to tie to line I had as backing on baitcaster and at end of year that knot got tested a bit as I ran low on line, it's a small knot and went through the reel's feeder and rod eyes well. For connections to terminal tackle I learned the nanofil knot and used it for a bit but then switched to palomar because it was easier and had no issues.

I have enough leftover to completely spool my reel once or do what I did last year 2-3 times.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/03/27 14:43:19 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
I always used an improved albright on my mono topshots on my saltwater geat (usually #50 or #80 power pro mainline) and never had a problem.  Wonder if it would work on the nanofil.
http://leadertec.com/tips...s/knots_imp_albrt.html
Yeah it works. That's what I normally use. I just make sure I used extra wraps 10+
pghh_flytier
New Angler
Re: Berkley Nanofil Unifiliment fishing line 2018/04/17 07:58:10 (permalink)
I got 4# Nanofil fromFish USA and spooled all 150 yards on my noodle rod. I can not believe how far it shot an 1/8 ounce Rooster tail. There were several places where I saw others catching fish, but could not reach. Now they are in range. On the down side, I didn't catch any fish with my "super casts". On my first snag I snapped the rod up and the line snapped. I have a terrible time trying to tie the required Palomar knot. I ended up going back to my five foot ultra light spooled with 4# trident XT. I'll keep trying with the Nanofil; I like to keep learning new things about fishing.
Jump to: