Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 56
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 13:17:10 (permalink)
☝ My two cents.

Field/Game cameras depend on "reset time". Some cams can take a picture every second while others require extended time to reset.

I've experienced plenty of "what (who) the hell was that" because the camera shutter fired before the subject was in full view and didn't refire untill the subject was out of view.

Video mode is best for cheaper cams but even those may have short burst time leaving ya wonder WTH was that.

I like the trip wire and bear trap method myself but knowing me... I'd step on the damed things my self.

I use the field cams around my summer home for 6 months at a time. "If" I remember to replace the the "card" and change dead batteries.

I live in the land that time has forgotten. WiFi sucks so the newer security cams are not reliable for me.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/04/12 14:01:20

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 13:41:11 (permalink)
Thanks guys, good info. Gerry, good to see you here, hope all is well and your getting out to the rivers a bit. This crap ever straightens out, let's hit the Delaware. I know your right in the mess, sending prayers for a turnaround your way. Happy Easter to all.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 13:46:52 (permalink)
My friend works for spectrum internet and cable service. I don't know the complete details and requirements ( I can find out) but in NY they are offering free 2 month nternet service without commitment due to coronavirus. It's for the children's school closures so having a child might be a requirement.
Anyway, my son has spectrum internet and I can say for fact that as long as you can get a satellite signal, you can get wifi that will power security cameras.
I've been in many places in NY and out of state I didn't think it would work but it actually does. We've used his account to watch live TV in the deep adirondacks
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/12 13:48:52

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 14:20:34 (permalink)
HT I'm not familiar with "Spectrum" but I'm certainly going to check it out.

In my "land that time forgot" cell phone is virtually useless without a signal booster. ("WeBoost" presently in use).

In addition our wifi is provided through the use of a Verizon Jetpack which must rely on cell phone signal.

I swear, a bird flying over the house causes a loss of signal.

I once used HughesNet, (at a prior address) which worked fine for general internet access but forrrrrget streaming at that time.

Our TV is provided with a King Pro (tailgator) antenna and a DishWally receiver. The darned thing works super great provided we're in the middle of a hay field and not within 50 yds of an obstacle like a simple tree or a flock of birds flying over. Did I mention Geese are PITA this time of year?

I'd be delighted if we could get everything by using Spectrum and super happy if the system can be mobile for a RV too.

Thanks again.

Be Safe, Stay Well, Happy Easter.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/04/12 14:28:59

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 15:47:36 (permalink)
Just remember cameras take pictures of in the act- therefore are too late-
A good barking dog and a 12 ga are better- or in my case a nice .45.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 16:06:53 (permalink)
r3 I agree "caught in the act". Since I bought my first field cam, I been the winner of every family Easter Egg hunt. They still can't figure out, how I know where all the eggs were hidden. 😋

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 16:24:09 (permalink)
Well I'm glad fichy has some ideas about security. Hope they work out.

Seriously folks, I do have weapons here. My weapons are solely for hunting, targeting and for personal protection in the most extreme of all cases of life vs death in my home.
I could never fathom using them otherwise.
I don't walk around feeling the need that I must self protect my life.
Violence is terrible and I avoid that at all costs .
I try to leave those matters to the people who are better equipped and prepared to handle those situations.
Remember, there are peaceful solutions to problems.

Time to get back to the garden

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 16:47:25 (permalink)
True dat Rich.

After 28 yrs working a small City in L/E however, am fully aware that to some criminals talking or reasoning just doesn't work -
Like the Scouts say- be prepared. 
Carrying is second nature after all that time not to mention reasonable use.
Besides have had a couple of guys from my past make it VERY clear they still hold grudges about getting caught way back when.
Different lives and different situations.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/04/12 16:56:51
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 18:54:44 (permalink)
My son is a police officer in a major crime city so I know the deal.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/12 19:55:22 (permalink)
That's great Rich - I wish him well.
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/13 05:15:15 (permalink)
To paraphrase "Field of Dreams", build it and they WON'T  come" . Just as the SOB's know what we have already, they know they'll be on candid camera soon as more cameras go up. That's why one camera and a light system has kept them out of our garages.  of course, I'm not  ruling out Claymores and various IED's.  I did smack the end of my axe  blade straight down into the concrete a bunch of times. Try to be prepared.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/17 18:09:26 (permalink)
It's Friday and what a long strange trip, basically daily to just make the weekend.
With the freezing temperatures, snow, wind and a muddy river already I'm not in any rush to hit the river for stripers.
If things play nice, hopefully Sunday
It's a garden and farm duties weekend.
Speaking of which, things I noticed happening :

Commercial farmers and food sources are hurting. As fichy said, milk is getting dumped. I also know the commercial,
regional fishermen and fish farms are getting hammered as well. Seafood that normally goes to restaurants and wholesalers are going to landfills because it has to be harvested, just like a cow needs to be milked. You will see huge increases in costs of supermarket foods for sure.

Now here is the flip side:
Local smaller farms and markets are getting more business than they can provide.
People are really hitting these small business up hard. People are trying to self sufficient or self preservation planning.
Where I buy my live meat chickens is completely sold out until September.
Our local larger scale produce and meats market are actually taking reservations on items like eggs , milk and live plants.
It's good in a way but I really have to plan ahead on things that came easy.

Thankfully we have family that these things are a way of life and support each other.
My nephew slaughtered 2 cows last weekend. I just filled a freezer with a quarter of beef.
I will kick the greenhouse project into overdrive this weekend. Got all materials here and lots of starter plants from seed ready to go.
Lastly, I'm not a mask kinda guy so my trips to stores for supplies are over.
Be safe folks. Hope to see you all on the other side

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/18 07:25:13 (permalink)
Nice observations, HT. I hope a more self-sufficient, yet co-operative society rises out of the ashes. We can hope. Speaking of noxious small critters, ticks are out in force at my house.  Lyme's is hell, take precautions!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/18 13:42:53 (permalink)
Snow, wtf. Rain that just made more mud.
Very difficult to work outside when woodstove is keeping house cozy.
Just went and visited my nephews farm and bought a whole cow to be slaughtered late may, early June. That meat as well as our hogs and chickens will be distributed between our families.
Going to be very little interaction with supermarkets for us in 2020.
Will still try to support our local markets but really starting to self seclude at least until there is a new beginning.
All I need now is some fresh ocean fish.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 13:03:44 (permalink)
Very frustrating day. I got the call my chickens were at post office 8am this morning. With nobody to pick them up I left work and a days pay to go get them. After getting home . 5 out of 40 were already dead in the box , there were no " extra " so I'm already down to 35 . Typically I lose another 2-5 .
So upon inspecting the shipping label, these birds were sent out on Monday morning and only listed as second day arrival which means that sat somewhere unattended for 2 days.
NOT HAPPY !!
With the supplier sold out until September, I freaked out about not getting our quota for the year. Obviously the hatchery will refund and dead loss up to 3 days upon arrival but that's not what we want. We want birds, not money back.
So I jumped in truck and went to tractor supply to see if they had any live meat birds available and they had 18 2 week old freedom rangers and kosher king mixed available they wanted to unload. I took them all for $1.25 each. We haven't tried this strain yet but we'll see.
I paid $1.98 each for day olds and got 5 dead birds in the mail.
We are going to keep our eyes out on tractor supply and buy all we can find in store that's available for next few weeks. It's going to mean extra work for me to have a bunch at once but it's better to have a bird in hand then 2 in the bush.

Btw, been snowing here all morning and this weather also SUCKS !!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 13:12:56 (permalink)
Hang in there HT better weather coming.

Tractor Supply says they offer 60 breeds of Chics on line. Free shipping to store and ya can pick em up on your way home from work.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 15:25:59 (permalink)
Our tractor supply store won't allow live animals ship to store from online orders. They will ship to my house and also keep livestock in store so go figure.. Defeats my purpose of hit and miss..
With 53 birds in hand and probably down to 50 before they go outside, we be ok right now. Typically we do 80 meat birds for my family a year. Works well..
The cow is a huge safety net and that's set in stone.

Record low for Albany new York on 4/23 was 26 degrees. They are talking very close tonight. My father's birthday was 4/23/42 I sure hope breaks a record tomorrow then puts a little soulshine down from above.

Ps:
Without any other heat source available in our house right now it's all woodstove.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/22 15:43:46

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 15:50:56 (permalink)
I'll be darned, each store must set their own policy. Definitely would be tricky if no one would be home to accept the delivery.

Well, sounds like you're pretty much set for this year. God willing and the crick don't rise, next year will go much smoother for you.

Here in NW PA, we're still seeing snow and last night we hit 28 F for a low. I swear, April is the new March and May showers will bring June flowers or in your case, mud. 😣

Stay safe, be well, tight lines.

BTW, my dad passed Feb. "67". I still miss him.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 18:05:09 (permalink)
We doing okay here. Just need something real in the forecast.
Sick of mud since 2019.
Last night I picked something real to remind me of the freshness we missed so far.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/22 18:20:39 (permalink)
hot tuna
We doing okay here. Just need something real in the forecast.
Sick of mud since 2019.
Last night I picked something real to remind me of the freshness we missed so far.

A welcome sight on a miserable day. 
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/24 09:03:59 (permalink)
Wow, our daffodils were done 2 weeks ago...our tulips are on their last legs right now....
Just hope I am able to get plants at my local greenhouse this year.

Have some carrots, spinach, lettuce and snow peas in.  One row of lettuce, the spinach and the snow peas are all up.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/24 10:23:20 (permalink)
All I got was Dandelion... 😩

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/24 18:40:48 (permalink)
Or daffodils just came out a week ago, no dandelions or tulips yet. Here is what I am looking at today

Attachment(s)

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/24 21:27:50 (permalink)
Snowed 3 out of 5 days this week with tomorrow night probably gonna make 4 .About the same last.
What's green is wet and soggy. My feed farmer cant till or plant.
The hunkered down things have been more weather related than anything for us. Currently I have 88 tomato plants ready to hit the grounds but not foolish enough. Mothers day was always a non cold hearty planting . Peas, a greens ok right now.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/26 13:27:15 (permalink)
I'm getting the same here,but no snow,my only problem is getting the lawn mowed,I'm not a home farmer.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/26 14:48:55 (permalink)
Got the lawn done this morning- then it started to rain again- with wind.
-'Its never gonna stop.
Its gonna be 40 rainy and windy forever---
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/04/26 18:59:06 (permalink)
I have to get the deck on , but grass is not ready yet. The gardens are prepared, but it it s too early to plant . I put in some peas 2 weeks ago they should start to come up soon. My garlic looks good and my started plants are doing well except for the brussel sprouts and cabbage which is spindly.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/03 13:37:47 (permalink)
Any thoughts on the best weed guard? I've read plastic mulch. I've also thought about landscaping fabric. Anyone use either, or have a better idea. I used grass clippings last year. It worked to a point, but the weeds took over regardless. I made the slave labor, my kids, go pull a couple times, but that only lasts so long too.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/03 14:14:03 (permalink)
pensfan1, I have used the landscape fabric for about 10 yrs now & think it works great,but I have a small garden. While my buds were pulling weeds I was fishing. lol  sam
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/03 18:08:23 (permalink)
We use landscaping fabric around our fruit trees. It works well.

The neighbor, who is a truck farmer, uses plastic — keeps the weeds out, plus gets earlier veggies.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 56
Jump to: