Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 56
Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 10:40:56 (permalink)
IMO no one needs an excuse to hunt groundhogs! Hate those things.  My mom had a coon hound who was a holy terror on the local whistle pig population, she averaged 50-55 a year.  Only problem I had was her wanting to show them off to me as 'gifts' when I stopped at the farm...I would be presented with her latest kill,  unfortunately it didn't matter to her if it was fresh or 3 days old, and sometimes dug up from wherever she had it buried. 
I knew it was an 'honor'....but I could have done without, lol
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 11:28:14 (permalink)
We had a bunch of geese on the pond where I hunt. They would drive me crazy with their noise but I don't think it actually affected the hunting unless they became startled in which gave warning to the entire woods.
If you think there's a problem then I'd definitely remove them. If you want to eat them then I don't see anything that's a detrimental. I'd just be very stealthy about it though given possible game laws.

In another sidebar:
Last week I cut my finger pretty bad using a hand grinder and cut off disc. Stupid me.
It was healing up pretty well.
Yesterday I was out working on some projects in the pig pen and trying to move some concrete pieces when one rolled onto my already hurt finger.
Excruciating pain doesn't even describe how it felt. We took a paper clip to my nail to release the pressure and man did that help but last night the pressure rebuilt so I went and had it checked out.
Go figure, it's broken.
I just can't win for trying right now.
Our Lukas Nelson tour has been postponed and the world is getting scary.
Be well folks
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/15 11:33:02

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 11:52:27 (permalink)
That is nasty HT, hoping it heals quickly now for you, but will be a pain (sometimes literally) to get through everyday tasks for a while.

I know growing up we had a bright, shiny and very tiny drill bit in the medicine cabinet...it's sole use was for drilling finger and toe nails to ease pressure when we missed with hammers or got stepped on by sheep or horses (dont ask me how I know, lol)
It actually didn't take much pressure to get it to spin through the nail...still hurt like heck but end result was worth it!
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 12:20:41 (permalink)
Careful, HT.  A mere broken finger won't slow the fishing down.  If you can't reel them in, I'll take the bullet and do it...... hehe,. I almost  forgot you fighting cohos one after another with a steel plate in your shoulder.  Agony and ecstasy.   Sorry to hear it happened. Heal well and  fast.   Off with the spinning rod after some crappies and perch in a pretty pond in Vermont.  Being about 75%  out of commission has changed my perspective on many things.  Simple is good. A few good friends are worth a crowd of  acquaintances.  I like duck  a l'orange. pretty simple to make.  I bet those ducks change their habits after a few culls.
post edited by fichy - 2020/03/15 12:24:21
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 15:33:55 (permalink)
We be okay here. No panic runs to the store to stock up . I'm pretty sure we could last things out till the next rotations of self harvested comes around. Doing a whole roasted chicken for dinner with picked veggies , canned peaches and homemade bread for dinner tonight. Nothing bought except the containers and feeds provided.
The word preppers seems so cliche now. We just been trying to become more self sufficient. Never more grateful.

Yes, I can't wait to go fishing again as those are such good memories. You get them crappie fichy. They taste so delicious. Once we get tired of chicken, venison, pork and pasta I will have to grab a rod and reel. My putrid ice season has left the freezer empty on that aspect

Attachment(s)

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/16 14:53:00 (permalink)
HT, sorry to hear of your recent troubles.  Give your finger time to heal properly but knowing you those are wasted words.  Lol
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/16 20:11:26 (permalink)
Rich If I could Id give ya a finger -- just for fishing of course.
Just read an article where a guy was saying what a good time for someone to  be self sufficient'
All I could think about was the lifestyle you now enjoy.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/16 20:15:25
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/17 17:40:51 (permalink)
Trev, as long as you don't cut yours off, you can give me the 1 finger salute without worries, lol.
We are actually grateful not just in this time but all year for the foods we put or labor into. I actually did an inventory on what's left in our freezers and canned goods. The goal last season was to sustain till the next harvests. We are right on track so there is no buying out of the normal shopping.
I make my own dough and breads . Dough we freeze. Unbleached flour has become difficult to find now.
No idea about the tp craze other than people can't figure out how else to wipe their butt ?
We be all good here until heck freezes over or utility gets halted , then I'll just have to adapt and improvise.
Our seeds for spring planting are thriving and every single 275 garlic cloves planted in October are up well. I doubt our pigs will be an issue picking up from our farm in 2 weeks. I hope our chick delivery will be on schedule.
The thing I do miss is live entertainment and social gathering. Yes the outdoors living is awesome and relaxing but hanging out with others and supporting our live music scene having fun is going to start to take a toll. We have our usual striper run coming and our restaurant/ marina may be affected. Our yearly fathers day weekend with family on the ausable may be.
Then who knows what's going to happen st the 900 campground in Rhode island for clams.
Months being semi isolation wears on people
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/17 20:17:48

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/17 20:44:34 (permalink)
Rich I am an active person and hanging around the past few days is making me Nuckin Futs.
In a few weeks I am more likely to go crazy than catch anything.
I gotta take a look into my youth and try and figure out whats biting - or just get off someplace and drown worms for the sake of being alone doing something till its time to prep the flower gardens of which I have many-- over 400 Iris alone.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/17 21:13:24 (permalink)
Well, my life has become to active at the homestead as well. Its put a lot of pressure on my recreational activities such as fishing. If I had less projects, I'd have more fishing. Is what it is lately.
Personally and a reversal of things I thought last week, I wouldn't frequent public lodging right now
Can I sleep in my tent, sure . WOULD I feel comfortable in a lodge ? Its not anyone's fault nor finger pointing but basically becoming self preservation measures and sadly at others expense. I hope this comes to pass quickly and I can visit my farmers market in spring.
Farmers are the most valuable people in the world. Homegrown is a good thing. Local grown supports community
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/17 21:14:38

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/18 17:00:19 (permalink)
Something to consider. Some vegetables like cabbage, califlower, jalapeno peppers and brussel sprouts I've been buying as already started plants. Who knows what's going to happen in 2 months let alone 2 hrs from now the way things are. By no means am I in panic mode but just throwing out that already started plants might become tough to get if one relies on that, especially at a chain supply.
I always buy from local garden growers but this might severely impact them.
So today I stopped and got these items in seed form and will be starting from scratch.
Meanwhile, my 72 tomato plants are rocking .
Stay safe

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/18 19:13:19 (permalink)
Securing seeds and safely storing are a practicality for someone as self reliant as you have become and adds another layer of sustainability which is always good.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/19 14:10:46 (permalink)
This has nothing to do with this subject,but the  virus has destroyed my plan to fish for Steel this year.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/19 14:46:49 (permalink)
Ditto- been wanting to get up in early April but having issues with it due to age and preexisting condition thingies.
Would rather live to fish again  lol
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 10:52:50 (permalink)
Yesterday me and my grandson Willie planted some peppers for peace.
I may end up turning 1/2 the man cave into a full blown indoor greenhouse the way things are heading.
Our farmer where I get my pigs just informed me no one is allowed on their property until the end of April or this virus thing chills out.
I'm worried my chickens will also be held up. At least they can't take my rods and rifles away.
Stay safe folks, we are not far from a shelter in place order coming.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/20 10:54:56

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 11:31:24 (permalink)
Well that didn't take long.
The governor shut us down. Shelter in place order just activated

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 11:33:32 (permalink)
HT, do you have incubating ability? If you do I can get you hatching eggs for some good barnyard birds.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 12:27:32 (permalink)
hot tuna
Well that didn't take long.
The governor shut us down. Shelter in place order just activated

Dang Cuomo must change his mind on a minute by minute bases.

Past two days he's been quoted as saying he would not issue such orders.

Right now the press is chewing on the asz of the POTUS about "national lockdown". President says he is not in favor of national lockdown.

I for one hope our nation will not be forced into such action by the news media created panic.

Be safe, follow your own instincts.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/03/20 12:34:59

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 13:05:18 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Right now the press is chewing on the asz of the POTUS about "national lockdown". President says he is not in favor of national lockdown.

I for one hope our nation will not be forced into such action by the news media created panic.

Be safe, follow your own instincts.

Lockdowns should be implemented on a state by state basis, or more ideally, a regional, or a county by county by county basis. Why should people in small towns in WY or MT be treated the same as Los Angeles or NYC?
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 13:46:24 (permalink)
Don’t be silly. Why that would have the country operating as it always was intended to do. 😀

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 14:15:24 (permalink)
The governor used a new word called PAUSE, which is exactly the same restrictions.
I think it should be state wide myself because we are seeing a huge migration of NYC exodus to their country second homes.
We have a long way to go folks before things get better. I really fear that when this comes to pass what the " new normal " will be ?

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 14:41:16 (permalink)
If  I still had my place in Pulaski woulda been there two weeks ago for a couple of months.- Less exposure to other folks.
Annnnnd fishing lol
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 14:46:12 (permalink)
HT politicians sure do have a way with words.

We have a 1060 +/- mile trip to return to our home. The weather there is ripe for flu viruses. The virus does not bother me nearly as much as the media panic does.

Right now enjoying 75 degrees with 75% humidity & sunny skies.

It is said warmer temps and high humidity decrease the spread of the virus.

Back home Crappie season will be firing up but where I'm at now, Pompano season is heating up.

Should I stay or should I go. 🤔

Stay well, be safe, & good time with your farming this season. Oh yeah... hope ya can find the time for tight lines.

Keep those reports coming, they bring back memories and I enjoy the read.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 15:41:59 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
HT, do you have incubating ability? If you do I can get you hatching eggs for some good barnyard birds.

I remember you mentioning in other places your medical background (forget exactly what it is) and I first read this as inTubating ability.  

And I was like, "Dang, she's gonna give us all a lesson on how to save our own lives or the lives of loved ones with eggs and chickens."  
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 18:01:46 (permalink)
rsquared
Fisherlady2

I remember you mentioning in other places your medical background (forget exactly what it is) and I first read this as inTubating ability.  

And I was like, "Dang, she's gonna give us all a lesson on how to save our own lives or the lives of loved ones with eggs and chickens."  

LOL.... nothing life saving, just good old fashioned farm sense most of the time.

Yes, I am in health care, I have been a paramedic for 32 years, still work full time ambulance. Every day is an adventure, this stuff is taking it to a whole new level.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 19:41:51 (permalink)
Thanks for serving your community in this time!
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 20:05:39 (permalink)
Thank you, I have worked in my area for 28 yrs, a lot of folks know me from when I cared for their parents or grandparents. Our area has a large population of elderly (by far my favorite patients) another segment of generational low income folks and then a substantial population of amish. So I am expecting a hard hit because I see all 3 groups as 'high risk', for different reasons. Our company is trying to stay on top of it, but there is just too much unknown yet. I just pray our employee group stays healthy enough to maintain the services our area needs. We will do what we have to, but may get rough for a while.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/20 20:39:04 (permalink)
That's the issue that can tip scales and make this thing get outa hand to some degree or another.
When Emergency workers are taken outa the equation for being outright sick or under quarantine things could get sticky.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 10:58:12 (permalink)
I am pretty sure the state is going to lockdown. My wife and daughter are both nurses at private offices. They may be pulled to work as public front line per Cuomo. Their offices were ordered to submit all working licensed medical staff information to the state yesterday.
I just went to my local sawmill ( who owns deer camp) and bought a bunch of lumber incase I'm home and they are shutdown. I also got 2 loads of topsoil delivered, again incase I can't get it for my garden needs.
Am I getting real about prepping ? Bet your azz because if my supply of livestock and gardening needs shut down we will still be able to function here.
On a sad ' er note, if a state lockdown is put will I still be allowed to tow my boat to the river and go striper fishing? Is that considered unnecessary travel ?

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/21 11:34:04 (permalink)
Here in CT it gets to a more serious lockdown than the one we have now on Monday.
Just took a ride around in my Truck and every grocery store-fast food place-- car dealership- tractor supply and many many many other stores have their parking lots packed to capacity.
Soooo many people packed into places close together-
-this thing is gonna really pop in  few weeks..IMHO
NYC is 90 miles away and has half he cases n the entire US. Thinking this is a danger zone and takin allthe precautions seriously.

Wifey and I read the tea leaves 2 weeks ago and stocked up, don't have to move for weeks.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/03/21 11:36:26
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 56
Jump to: