Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/15 21:40:55 (permalink)
Thanks folks for the interest and suggestions.
I've blanched and tried to vacuum seal which didn't work well. To much water for vacuum sealer. Possible operator error too by cutting bags to short.
Ziploc freezer bags done better on my beans and corn. My expected life span on freezer bags are 3 months tops. I may try and do both together this year. I'm trying to get into the 8 month preservation plan since harvest all seem to happen towards fall.
Still haven't did the kraut recipe yet.
It's on the hit list and I'd think we could cann a few quarts.
I don't have a good dedicated root cellar right now, to much moisture. If I get my act together, I could easily construct a place.
Retirement is only 5 more but seems light years away to play all day in the farm and garden.

My indoors seeds will hit dirt in about 30 days

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/16 09:53:21 (permalink)
I have a friend up on the shoulders of the Tug Hill who subsistence gardens.  He gets his peas through a year in ziplocs in the freezer.  He is ultra organized, when you open the freezer it looks like a file cabinet.  He also does about 40 quarts of kraut,  When I last visited, he cracked a quart, and I ate most of it, it was great (until the next AM, but it was only the other folks having problems with that!)
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/16 09:56:28 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Hey Lucky, I herd steamed Broccoli goes well with trout.

I'd have to catch one to find out!!! I'm pretty sure you can relate to that,  LOL!

Steamed Broccoli goes well with everything!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/16 10:49:55 (permalink)
Lucky13

I'd have to catch one to find out!!! I'm pretty sure you can relate to that,  LOL!

😞 It snot my fault..... stupid fish.😪

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/20 17:18:49 (permalink)
hot tuna
Thanks folks for the interest and suggestions.
I've blanched and tried to vacuum seal which didn't work well. To much water for vacuum sealer. Possible operator error too by cutting bags to short.
Ziploc freezer bags done better on my beans and corn. My expected life span on freezer bags are 3 months tops. I may try and do both together this year. I'm trying to get into the 8 month preservation plan since harvest all seem to happen towards fall.
Still haven't did the kraut recipe yet.
It's on the hit list and I'd think we could cann a few quarts.
I don't have a good dedicated root cellar right now, to much moisture. If I get my act together, I could easily construct a place.
Retirement is only 5 more but seems light years away to play all day in the farm and garden.

My indoors seeds will hit dirt in about 30 days

Blanch and put on a cookie sheet for 12 hrs. That freezes it and keeps it from sticking together. You can then use the sealer and it will not crush or draw the water out. With squash you can then cut the bags take out what you want and then reseal . That's what I do.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/26 17:20:09 (permalink)
Since the lake I was on yesterday only had 2" ice and rain didn't help, figured a good day to work on the future.
Cut 4 loads of free roadside firewood that's about 2 miles long for a new powerline going in.
They been cutting about 4 weeks and the free for all has been hitting it pretty hard.
I'm also going to start the indoors garden projects in next few weeks.
Rosemary has been a difficult herb for me to establish but I'll keep trying.
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels will also be started.
I'll do my tomatoes near end of February.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/01/29 18:37:29 (permalink)
Although I like to start stuff indoors. I always have trouble with it taking on the transplant. The seeds I throw in the ground do better. Guess I'll try again , but I still end up buying plants from the amish. This is an important year for us farm wise as we have to decide weather to invest in hay equipment or have someone come in and bake for us. The arrangement we had with my uncle just does not work anymore. I had the final test for my heart (mri) and that will play into the mix on what we will do. We may downsize alot . We usually run about 14 head including calves. We may downsize to 5 or 6 and just buy hay.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/01 11:28:25 (permalink)
We moved the last round bales in today and the loader broke on the last one. May have to farm the repair out as I need 1 in hole drilled through 1/4 steel. May try to weld it but my skills are sub par at best in that department. My final test came back good for the heart so it's now time to start rehabbing and get my endurance back

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/01 17:10:47 (permalink)
Hole saws won't do it , but you could step drill it. Go  1/4, 1/2,3/4 then your inch with a 1/2"  chuck, use cutting oil or spray it with PB Blaster as you go.  Be careful on the breakthrough. 
Sorry to hear about your health issues , Clint.  Beef prices are in the toilet here.  Maybe your areas better, people are lamenting feeding animals through the winter in my area.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/02 14:35:48 (permalink)
Clint, I'm glad to hear the medical problems seem to be under control and hopefully your feeling better. I'm struggling every day but can't slow down.
Fichy struck it. Keep stepping up with a drill size and it's not that bad to make a 1" hole through 1/4" steel. A can of cutting oil is recommended as well.

Yesterday we went out in search of Lakers. Plenty ice in north country with atvs and snowmobiles all over the lake. Unfortunately we got a big fat skunk. Seen plenty fish on vexliar and could see them through the hole just nosing the lures. They were not aggressive at all and yesterday the fish were smarter than us fishers.
Today I went back to the free roadside firewood pick. Right now I'm very close to next years needs. I still have about 3 cords covered for this years use.
I'm about ready to move on from winter, of what it's actually been. Basically a mud season here.
Time to start thinking about starting the garden.
We had excellent results starting our plants indoors from seed.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/07 20:01:41 (permalink)
Dad called me this am and one of our bulls up and died. No sickness no nothing. Fine at night and stiff this morning. Got it pulled out, but with the snow it will be tough to do anything with it. On a side note got the part for the tractor fixed for $84 good as new. The guy just built a new one. 5 minutes of welding 20 minutes to drill a few holes and 10 minutes to tap threads. Worth it as it is done right and strong. I can stick metal together , but cant weld all that well LOL

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/07 22:08:06 (permalink)
Sucks about the bull Clint along with the weather you're having.

Good to hear ya got the tractor fixed though. I'm really good at stick welding too. As soon as I strike an arc.... the electrode sticks. Even the 7018 or 6013 rods.😞
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/02/07 22:18:22

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/08 22:32:34 (permalink)
Sorry about the bull Clint, that has to hit hard...

Not much going here except that the birds don't care it is winter, they are all keeping up the broody thing right through the bad weather.
7 hens got chicks Friday, 6 in same coop are brooding together, so at least that is simpler for us! 

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/08 22:34:41 (permalink)
Incomplete link
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/02/08 22:41:40
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/08 22:38:35 (permalink)
https://m.youtube.com/wat...u.be&v=_0rSrye6QzI
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2020/02/08 22:43:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/09 00:00:49 (permalink)
Fisherlady that is super. 👍

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/09 13:22:46 (permalink)
I was going to let mine sit on eggs this spring b uh t the ol fox got my rooster. The deed is done and the coy dogs will eat good till spring. It was the smaller of the 2 about 500# . Me thinks a cow is in heat and the big bull kicked or headed this smaller one causing internal injuries

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/09 15:55:04 (permalink)
Clint,could n't you have saved the meat?The cold temps should have delayed decomposition?
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/09 17:43:43 (permalink)
Glad you were able to salvage for the dogs.. your supposition on the injuries is pretty likely given that you have a cow in heat and a bigger bull around. Mother nature doesnt play nice.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/02/09 19:34:12 (permalink)
Jack, not knowing exactly why it died is too much of a risk for me to take we have also butchered a few that broke legs or had a bad birth and the neat was just not the same. Just not worth the hassle in my book. Better to let the coyotes and foxs have some good eating and keep them from my chickens. LOL

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/07 19:46:21 (permalink)
30 chicks to arrive April 24th. 3 piglets about same time. Their pennings are set and secure.
72 tomato seeds sprouted.
Garlic looks great. 7 cords firewood for next season split.
60 degrees on Monday.

I'm ready...

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/08 09:45:32 (permalink)
I've never used that fuschia light spectrum, seems all the large grow houses use it now. Looks cool.  After my daily dose of med rounds, I'm going to throw some big crayfish and muddlers in my favorite muddy/dark  upper Hudson cove tomorrow.  Warmth. Dreaming of stripers. I'm ready, too. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/08 13:46:48 (permalink)
Those led lights are awesome and cheap .
I have quite the collection of pallets started with about 100 more on the way. Strangely, they come from Germany. Nice thing is they are all uniform and very solid. I'm planning on using them as an outdoor patio floor covered with plywood and in the pig pen covered with conveyor belting.
With the new roof installed no worries about interior damage so I'm trying to finish the man cave interior.
10' sheetrock is a pia by yourself but there is no help to be found so I just suck it up.

I hope you get some good fishing in this week. Wishin I was fishing but need to get projects done before mid April so we can play on the Daisy with striped bass 😀
Your welcome to visit anytime.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/08 20:09:31 (permalink)
Tapped some trees today and am putting together my chick order too. Will start some plants soon. Might dabble with hydroponics a little to have lettuce all yeat

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/09 05:05:50 (permalink)
HT, if you didn't get to the rock, I'd be more than glad to help hang it. Getting the sheets on the lift  by yourself and getting them started is a pain. I'll be down soon.  
post edited by fichy - 2020/03/09 05:43:46
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/09 13:39:39 (permalink)
Clint, while I haven't done this myself, it actually looks simple.
I know it says no soil but you do need soil plugs. Basically a a small pump on a timer to recirculate water. Of course plants also need photosynthesis to grow
Looks interesting

Attachment(s)

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/14 19:03:05 (permalink)
I didn’t know exactly where to ask this, so this is as good a place as any.

Two archery seasons ago, a flock of about a dozen domestic ducks moved onto the creek by my treehouse. The roust themselves are Dawn, right when deer are starting to move and return right before dark, again, right when deer are moving. This is quite annoying, as you can imagine.

They were there this deer season as well.

I was just down in the woods clearing winter tree damage and the ducks were there again.

I would really like to remove them, but don’t want to just whack them. So, my question is, are they good to eat?

They are mostly black, with white heads.

I have no idea where they cane from, but none of the neighbors are claiming them, so I don’t think they will be missed.

Any info would be helpful.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/14 20:32:38 (permalink)
DarDys

Two archery seasons ago, a flock of about a dozen domestic ducks moved onto the creek by my treehouse. The roust themselves are Dawn, right when deer are starting to move and return right before dark, again, right when deer are moving. This is quite annoying, as you can imagine.

I was just down in the woods clearing winter tree damage and the ducks were there again.

I would really like to remove them, but don’t want to just whack them. So, my question is, are they good to eat?

I have no idea where they cane from, but none of the neighbors are claiming them, so I don’t think they will be missed.

Cant help on this at all but others should chime in

I made a gallon of syrup today. It has been a bad year for sap so far with the temps staying too high or not the cold warm difference we need.

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/14 21:10:36 (permalink)
DarDys

I would imagine the meat would now be about the same as any wild fowl shot... most likely a bit strong and tough since they actually use the muscles and have much less fat through the meat layers. If it is a young duck it would be better but you are describing birds I wouldn't be choosing as roasting candidates unless I was hurting for meat.
Most of the meat birds we butcher are younger and fed a diet to promote rapid growth and activity isnt probably a quarter of the level wild birds do.

However, with that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to harvest them and pressure cook the breast meat if you like shredded bar-b-que for sandwiches and it can also be ground up, along with the pressure cooked bones to make an excellent protein treat/supplement for dogs.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The garden thread 2020/03/15 09:52:36 (permalink)
Thank all y’all for the information.

I was hoping they were good to eat in order to give me an excuse for taking them out other than they are a daily nuisance during deer season. Even my professional fly trying buddies don’t want the feathers.

At this point in my life, I’m not up for killing something I don’t have a use for afterward. Which is odd coming from someone that used to hunt groundhogs 4 days a week.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 56
Jump to: