Helpful ReplyNew Sunday hunting push?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 13:40:46 (permalink)
DPMS FYI Raven cross bows shoot consistanty at 100 yds and never miss a bullseye.!!!Its easy to call somebody  ignorant when your not face to face. I just call a Spade a spade.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 14:43:09 (permalink)
Don't miss understand me I personally am not complaining about the cost of a hunting license, but the fact is all the changes over the years are mostly due to PGC micro management to get more fees from hunters. One year it's this , the next year it's that. One area can start on this date the other starts on that date. Come on quit playing the shuffle game on rules and laws. We all pay the same for our licenses so make it all one rule statewide...just like it was for many years previous .....and it worked fine !   
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 16:23:51 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
We all pay the same for our licenses so make it all one rule statewide...just like it was for many years previous .....and it worked fine !   

I definitely agree with this!  

When I lived in North Carolina, a Sportsmen's license was $40.  Hunt and fish for EVERYTHING in EVERY season in the entire state.  You got 6 deer tags (could shoot up to 4 bucks); 2 turkey tags; a bear tag; unlimited wild boar and small game.  Included stocked trout in the mountains to surf fishing on the beach.  That was awhile ago, and I believe it's now $50.  

But still, could you imagine just paying $50 to hunt and fish for everything in every season in PA?  
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 20:23:37 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Don't miss understand me I personally am not complaining about the cost of a hunting license, but the fact is all the changes over the years are mostly due to PGC micro management to get more fees from hunters. One year it's this , the next year it's that. One area can start on this date the other starts on that date. Come on quit playing the shuffle game on rules and laws. We all pay the same for our licenses so make it all one rule statewide...just like it was for many years previous .....and it worked fine !   

Should it be one set of regulations for fishing different parts of the state?
post edited by anzomcik - 2018/02/19 20:27:59
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 20:52:50 (permalink)

anzomcik

Should it be one set of regulations for fishing different parts of the state?

I'd have no problem with that..... basic Commonwealth freshwater seasons and limits would be fine with me statewide. I'd say most of the state follows that closely on most waters ....not all. I'd be fine if Pymy went to basic Commonwealth seasons probably make better fishing too.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 21:59:39 (permalink)
DarDys
This thread got me to thinking about the history, heritage, and traditions of hunting in PA. And while I like to think that there is such a thing, there is not. Please see below the changes I can think off of the top of my head, and tell me there is any heritage or tradition in PA.

Spikes were not legal bucks, but all others were (my Dad dealt with that one).

Had to start wearing orange while hunting.

Deer hunting was one and done, buck or doe and the season was over.

Two week buck season and two day doe season.

Two week buck season and three day doe season.

Doe season extended to Saturday if the weather or lack of harvest was deemed a factor by the Director.

Doe season starting on the first Saturday.

Doe season starting on the opening of buck season.

DMAP tags from landowners.

Green and Red tag areas.

CWD permits.

DMAP/ CWD area permits from PGC.

Doe tags by county.

Doe tags limited to the point that many that applied didn’t get one.

One buck and still he able to use a doe tag.

Bonus doe tags from left overs.

4 point per side restriction in the western counties

3 point per side restriction in the other counties

3 points up restriction in the western counties

SRA’s with shotguns only

Two week archery season with no archery license required

Archery license

Six week archery season

After Christmas flintlock season

Turn in doe application in order to buy flintlock license

Senior doe rifle season in October

Junior doe rifle season in October

Mentored deer hunters

Early muzzleloader season in October to include inlines with scopes

Crossbows allowed with handicap note from doctor

Crossbows permitted for all archery license buyers

No small game hunting during bear season

A bear license

Cubs not permitted to be shot

Saturday season opener

Bear hunting during deer season in parts of the state

Statewide quail hunting

Rooster pheasants only statewide

Hen pheasants permitted in certain areas of the state

Late, after Christmas small game season.

No late grouse season

Air guns permissible for small game

Semi autos permissible for small game

Falconry small game season

Bounty on hawks

Fox hunting durin deer season

Furtaker license

Spring turkey season

Two gobbler permits

Afternoon spring gobbler hunting permitted

Season on crows

Seasons and bag limits for skunks, porcupines, and possums.

Elk season

Permissible shot size restriction for turkey

Deer baiting permissible in parts of the state

State migratory permit

I’m sure there are many others that I didn’t list. But it seems like the only real tradition and heritage of PA hunting is change.

And thus is coming from someone who liked the separate buck and doe seasons; did not quasi archery hunt until last season; and was ( and still is) against AR/HR.

Just gotta love when they say we "haven't had a licence increase in yrs." Themzis think we r tupid oar what???
 Howle ov awl people could u foreget the Peasant permit?? Thar a few moar in thar u for got but u get the poynt
post edited by crappiefisher - 2018/02/19 22:22:31
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 22:29:40 (permalink)
I did forget the pheasant permit. And youth small game seasons. And WMUs. And semi shotguns for deer. And many others. The point was that the so-called traditions weren’t as static as thought. Adding a few more changes has no effect on that.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/19 22:43:54 (permalink)
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/20 09:48:32 (permalink)
lost sage rod sectio
DPMS FYI Raven cross bows shoot consistanty at 100 yds and never miss a bullseye.!!!Its easy to call somebody  ignorant when your not face to face. I just call a Spade a spade.

Actually, many modern compounds and crossbows are capable of exceptional 100 yards accuracy. Does that make either weapon equal to a rifle in hunting siutations? Nope!! That is the reality of the situation whether you are willing to accept it or not. It is either ignorance or an unwillingness to accept fact due to underlying bias. I would be more than happy to discuss the issue face to face as well with the facts on my side.

Not sure if you actually believe that a Ravin will "never miss a bullseye" or not, but the reality is missing the "bullseye" is a common occurrence in the hands of even the best shooter at 100 yards.

I just showed you are picture of the aiming point for a 440fps crossbow at 100 yards and you want to cling to your comment that bows these days are the same as rifles?

Just a few points to consider.
-an arrow kills by hemorrhage, not hemorrhage and shock like high velocity expanding projectiles
-an arrow takes much longer to get to the target than high velocity projectiles
-an arrow's trajectory has to be compensated for at ranges that high velocity does not have to be
-animals can react fast enough to change the impact of an arrow, unlike a rifle.

Do I need to state more factual differences between all bows and rifles?
post edited by dpms - 2018/02/20 10:57:54

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/20 17:04:52 (permalink)
Here is another illustration that shows the difference between bows of all speeds and a rifle at 100 yards. Rifles they are not. 

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/20 17:39:43 (permalink)
If I want to reach out and touch a deer,I'll take my 6.5 Creedmoor. If I want to get up close and personal,I'll use my Diamond box or Horton X bow. Farthest distance on a bow or X bow kill 32 yards,farthest distance with a gun 425 yards. I use to be into long distance gun,Potter county and Washington county doe hunting. 
post edited by Big Tuna - 2018/02/22 08:53:53
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/20 18:29:37 (permalink)
Potter County, now that there is some Pennsylvania Wilds.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/21 13:57:31 (permalink)
I am like big tuna i guess because I use a 2 by God seventy and they drop like a rock. The point I was making is Pa. has to cater to anybody who will just pay to keep the program afloat. My main point was to point out how the playing field isn't level,Its easy to feed deer all summer and when he comes for his treat on the fist day of archery season to stick him with a hi tech piece of equipment and brag that you have done something. Now I know they will never let the rifle hunter have first crack at the big bucks in rut because that would be fair. I also know by your comments that I can't fix Stupid.!!!!!!!! Just old school call it like I see it.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/21 18:23:21 (permalink)
lost sage rod sectio
 I also know by your comments that I can't fix Stupid.!!!!!!!! 

Hey man. We are all free to disagree. We are all hunters and/or sportsman here. There is no need for personal slights and attacks. If one has to resort to labeling others that they disagree with as stupid, it becomes hard for anyone to respect your opinions.  

My main point was to point out how the playing field isn't level,Its easy to feed deer all summer and when he comes for his treat on the fist day of archery season to stick him with a hi tech piece of equipment and brag that you have done something.

The playing field is as level now as it was before. Archery has been before rifle for many decades. Everyone is free to hunt whatever season they wish. Archery hunters take a very small percent of the total population of bucks. Due to herd reduction, there are less deer available to all hunters, not just rifle hunters. Sorry man, but those are just some more facts to add to the discussion. 
post edited by dpms - 2018/02/21 18:28:12

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/21 20:05:57 (permalink)
Less deer? Come on,there behind every tree according to some on this site they see over a hundred in gun season! I did the math on that, per hour hunting and it was 5 deer per hour. Now that's hunting.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/21 22:51:24 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Less deer? Come on,there behind every tree according to some on this site they see over a hundred in gun season! I did the math on that, per hour hunting and it was 5 deer per hour. Now that's hunting.

I saw 69(9 buck) on the first Saturday of rifle season this past season between 11am and 5pm.
They're not behind EVERY tree...

Blacktop Charters
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/21 23:42:31 (permalink)
Big Tuna

Whoa shots fired!

I think my average was closer to 6 per hour just in rifle season... sometimes hard to remember exactly in an average season
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 07:37:52 (permalink)
You guys are just the greatest hunters and Fisher in the land. Now I know why I don't see that many? I've start to early. I got to try that 11 am start. And long A bombers don't catch Erie walleye either. You guys are funny. Post, Kenny when the ice is off the bay. I only got 127 in 5 days ice fishing. See you soon.  Good fishing is a coming.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 08:26:20 (permalink)
Big Tuna
If I want to reach out and touch somebody,I'll take my 6.5 Creedmoor. If I want to get up close and personal,I'll use my Diamond box or Horton X bow. Farthest distance on a bow or X bow kill 32 yards,farthest distance with a gun 425 yards. I use to be into long distance gun,Potter county and Washington county doe hunting. 

Ironhed
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 09:29:02 (permalink)
Big Tuna
You guys are just the greatest hunters and Fisher in the land. Now I know why I don't see that many? I've start to early. I got to try that 11 am start. And long A bombers don't catch Erie walleye either. You guys are funny. Post, Kenny when the ice is off the bay. I only got 127 in 5 days ice fishing. See you soon.  Good fishing is a coming.

I started at daylight that day and didn't see anything. Made a move and whalla, deer all over the place!
The ice has been off the Bay since yesterday. 127!?!?!?? Cmon, you can do better than that!
Took a ride around Pymy yesterday...it's probably open today after what I saw. Huge shad die off happening right now.

Blacktop Charters
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 09:53:42 (permalink)
Thanks Ken. I'll be seeing you soon. You got Emeralds? 5x30 = 150 I was only 23 short of my limits. I'm a sportsmen, I only keep big ones. lol
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 10:42:19 (permalink)
Thank you for the kind words.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 11:01:35 (permalink)
Only you think so. lol Definitely sarcastic. Your a funny story teller.   lol 
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 11:45:45 (permalink)
It is easy to see I had an impact on your life because your still holding on to a discussion we had a month ago.

Here is why, you brought it up out of the clear blue in a completely different discussion. You could not let it go, you are thinking about me.

What greater compliment could a person get then finding out they have touched another’s life in such a way they think about you, and want to talk about you and talk to you.

I’ll say it again, thank you for the kind words. Even if they are all not spoken.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 13:55:11 (permalink)
How many you get last year? 0000000000000000000000 I know they were all to small for the great white hunter. Your about the funniest guy on the site. I always enjoy your ( stories) and start looking for the hip boots. Waiting for a 4 or 5 year old ,I know your a biologist and can age deer from a tree. No impact I my life,you may fool some but not me. Your  internet  BS' er.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 14:11:33 (permalink)
Looks like somebody took the hook,line and sinker :) You guys play nice now... 

Hi Kenny

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 14:52:16 (permalink)
I'm hooked,lol  On a side note on the first day of gun season  I met a leprechaun and he lead me to a pot of gold,after I saw a 100 deer,30 legal bucks,a herd of elk,a flock of turkey,and a so many bears I lost track. Now that's hunting internet style. Where my hip boots,I'm going fishing. Oh I forgot I did see a wild boar but it was in a fenced in area.  Keep posting those every believable tales,white hunters.
anzomcik
Expert Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 15:28:11 (permalink)
Oh geez your making me blush now. To hear you say I’m funny is a great compliment. Thank you again.

My degree is in engineering not biology thought. But the underlying statement is you want everyone to know I worked hard in college to get good grades and graduate. Again thank you!

Also I can’t express how much it means to me to put the brakes on a very active Sunday hunting thread to focus all yours and everyones attention on me, now my face is really red. You are really going above and beyond here.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 15:40:29 (permalink)
fishin coyote
Looks like somebody took the hook,line and sinker :) You guys play nice now... 

Hi Kenny

Mike

Hi Mike!

Blacktop Charters
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: New Sunday hunting push? 2018/02/22 19:45:29 (permalink)
Big T ....I hunt with a drone ...seen over 50 deer each day! Never seen one posted sign either .
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: