Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2018/02/06 18:08:46 (permalink)

Lake Whitefish

Has anyone here that fishes open water by boat ever caught a Lake Whitefish in Erie? I’ve never seen or heard of any being taken by recreational anglers, but apparently almost 56,000 pounds were harvested from the lake in 2016, mainly in the central and western basins in Ohio and Ontario. Wondering if they’re some of the thick clouds (20-50’ tall) of fish we see on the sonar far offshore during the summer that never bite. If so, I’d be interested in trying to get one or two this season, maybe try a long sabiki rig with a heavy lead to get down, or something along those lines. Thanks in advance.

PS, we’ve all heard the Ohio/Allegheny “Whitefish” jokes plenty as is lol.

54 Replies Related Threads

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/06 19:57:47 (permalink)
    Limited out on em today. Traded in at poor Richards for some Cajun whitefish
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/06 20:02:43 (permalink)
    There's plenty of Erie whitefish if you dumpster dive at teasers.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/06 21:14:09 (permalink)
    Dam it MountainMan..... NO! spotburning!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 10:28:41 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Dam it MountainMan..... NO! spotburning!

You might get some spotburning after being there.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 10:49:20 (permalink)
    I'll have you know there's no better place to find bait.  Nothing like a case of fresh lively KrotchKrikets when fishing for whitefish.  Just gotta git jiggy wit em.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 12:35:55 (permalink)
    Why not drop a Aqua-Vu down into those bait clouds and get a positive ID?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9684
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 14:02:47 (permalink)
    I did some work at the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, MI about 2 years ago.  Talking with one of the engineers up there, lake whitefish were one of the fish that they targeted.  I didn't get into much detail with him on techniques.  Maybe search some fishing reports in that area, and might be able to dig up some techniques they use.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 21:03:35 (permalink)
    OK enough of the WhiteFish jokes and back to the original question so here is what I found through WikipediA about the White Fish: A/K/A; Otsego bassSault whitefishgizzard fishcommon whitefish, eastern whitefish, Great Lakes whitefish, humpback whitefish, inland whitefish and whitefish. 

So maybe seeing a more common name, other anglers may weigh in on the subject.

Here's what else is interesting; they feed on on bottom-dwelling animals (snail, insect larvae, Zebra Mussels, and Fingernail clams) which they will consume for the remainder of their lives. In late June and July, some inland lake populations of ciscoes and lake whitefish leave the deep, cool waters to feast on emerging mayflies and midges. The lake whitefish's natural predators include burbot, lake trout, and northern pike. 

Fishing in the months of June, July and early August using A simple line and jig system is enough to catch the fish as they feast on mayflies and midges. In winter months, whitefish are caught through the ice. 

Lake whitefish is the prime commercial species because it is delicately flavored fresh fish........

Please keep this conversation quiet, we do not need more strange species stocked into our inland lakes, the PFBC is listening.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/02/07 21:07:21

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 23:45:31 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    Why not drop a Aqua-Vu down into those bait clouds and get a positive ID?

If I could afford one I would haha.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 23:49:10 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I did some work at the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, MI about 2 years ago.  Talking with one of the engineers up there, lake whitefish were one of the fish that they targeted.  I didn't get into much detail with him on techniques.  Maybe search some fishing reports in that area, and might be able to dig up some techniques they use.  

St. Mary’s is a great Whitefish fishery! I caught two or three in Sault Ste. Marie last June fishing in the discharge of the hydroplant, all of them on a little size 8 Caddis nymph. Great fighters for their size, too. I’d compare them to a small Carp or jack Steelhead the way they run and tear line, delicious as well!

That’s why I found it weird that no perch pack guys ever report any, they seem very likely to strike at a little Emerald or small jig. I’ll really have to put in some effort this year to find out if they’re what I’m finding out there.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/07 23:54:44 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    OK enough of the WhiteFish jokes and back to the original question so here is what I found through WikipediA about the White Fish: A/K/A; Otsego bassSault whitefishgizzard fishcommon whitefish, eastern whitefish, Great Lakes whitefish, humpback whitefish, inland whitefish and whitefish. 

So maybe seeing a more common name, other anglers may weigh in on the subject.

Here's what else is interesting; they feed on on bottom-dwelling animals (snail, insect larvae, Zebra Mussels, and Fingernail clams) which they will consume for the remainder of their lives. In late June and July, some inland lake populations of ciscoes and lake whitefish leave the deep, cool waters to feast on emerging mayflies and midges. The lake whitefish's natural predators include burbot, lake trout, and northern pike. 

Fishing in the months of June, July and early August using A simple line and jig system is enough to catch the fish as they feast on mayflies and midges. In winter months, whitefish are caught through the ice. 

Lake whitefish is the prime commercial species because it is delicately flavored fresh fish........

Please keep this conversation quiet, we do not need more strange species stocked into our inland lakes, the PFBC is listening.

In that case, if I can’t get any action with a microjig or a few nymphs this summer, then I’m not sure what they are. At the size I’m marking them on the sonar, whatever it is they have to have a mouth large enough to at least eat delicate presentations.

We have enough bass and panfish impoundments, Wilhelm could be the new Whitefish lake in PA! Haha, nah, they’d never survive in 99% of our inland waters. Need pretty cool water, below 70° for good survivability if I’m not mistaken.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 08:47:16 (permalink)
    NOOOOOooooo! Not Wilhelm..... not Lake White Fish!!!     Toothy critters  that feast on stupid shad, like Walleye or, some Walleye and maybe, more Walleye.   "BIG Walleye" that eat "BIG" stupid shad.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 09:37:02 (permalink)
    On lake Simco in Ontario they catch Lake Whitefish through the ice. I know of one rig they use. It has three short wire leaders with wicked sharp hooks on the end coming horizontally out from central weight. They are fairly heavy as they fish deep. They bait them up with three minnows and jig them up and down. The catch lake Trout on them also.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 09:50:21 (permalink)
    All kidding aside, seeing the adults feed heavily on Zebra Mussels and Fingernail Clams, if the inland small lakes become polluted with those pesky little critters, why not?   The fish is said to be heavily sought after for it's mild flavor and does well in cool waters.  To hell with them stupid trout!!!!

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 10:31:47 (permalink)
    treesparrow
    On lake Simco in Ontario they catch Lake Whitefish through the ice. I know of one rig they use. It has three short wire leaders with wicked sharp hooks on the end coming horizontally out from central weight. They are fairly heavy as they fish deep. They bait them up with three minnows and jig them up and down. The catch lake Trout on them also.

Seems like jigs are the way to go. Need to stock up on Swedish pimples for this season!
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 10:34:31 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    All kidding aside, seeing the adults feed heavily on Zebra Mussels and Fingernail Clams, if the inland small lakes become polluted with those pesky little critters, why not?   The fish is said to be heavily sought after for it's mild flavor and does well in cool waters.  To hell with them stupid trout!!!!

I’d be good with it, if they could survive year round and we didn’t have to rely on white fish trucks to stock them... (sorry, that was horrible lol). On another note, I’d love to see some serious cuts to the pellethead program to put more money towards self-sustaining cold and warmwater fisheries, habitat restoration, and oddball & listed species.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 10:50:31 (permalink)
    There was just an In-fisherman episode on about this with Doug Stange.  Lots of articles out there.

https://www.google.com/se...id=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 10:56:05 (permalink)
    I think we will see a reduction in the trout stocking programs until the throngs of the 'one day a year' trout fisherman invade the trout streams of the elite trout fisher.  Then the elite trout clubs will be screaming for more ponds and tail-waters to be stocked, to pull the commoner's away, from the elite's self-proclaimed private trout sanctuary's.

Anyway, here we have a fish (Lake White Fish) that would be worth table fare and appears not to feed heavily on the fry of other fishes; that will serve as a benefit to a body of water in many ways; that likely has a better survival rate and we get trout?   

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 15:21:40 (permalink)
    That would be pretty cool if you start catching fish in whatever depth of water, 10 miles out, on a nymph.  

Mysis shrimp fly, might be worth adding to your list of things to lower down in the depths?

https://www.sciencedaily....11/11/111122143358.htm
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 18:18:15 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    I think we will see a reduction in the trout stocking programs until the throngs of the 'one day a year' trout fisherman invade the trout streams of the elite trout fisher.  Then the elite trout clubs will be screaming for more ponds and tail-waters to be stocked, to pull the commoner's away, from the elite's self-proclaimed private trout sanctuary's.

Anyway, here we have a fish (Lake White Fish) that would be worth table fare and appears not to feed heavily on the fry of other fishes; that will serve as a benefit to a body of water in many ways; that likely has a better survival rate and we get trout?   

It sounds more and more appealing now that we’re actuslly discussing it. Since they’re not native in PA other than in Erie, I wouldn’t want to see them end up in natural lakes. But, it might be a cool/unique potential fishery for some of our deeper manmade waters.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 18:20:13 (permalink)
    Porktown
    That would be pretty cool if you start catching fish in whatever depth of water, 10 miles out, on a nymph.  

Mysis shrimp fly, might be worth adding to your list of things to lower down in the depths?

https://www.sciencedaily....11/11/111122143358.htm

Definitely. I was thinking Caddis, mayfly, and mysis shrimp would all be good bets. Maybe even one or two size 12-14 hooks with a little piece of worm. Run 5-6 hooks off dropper lines with a 2-3 ounce weight to get down and that should mean business if they’re feeding whatsoever.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 19:47:59 (permalink)
    Can you get zebra mussels easily? If you're thinking to do chunks of worm, why not some mussel guts? Sounds like what they eat. Not sure how easy that would be. Could use the black mussels that you buy in the grocery store. If they don't work, steam and eat!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/08 20:41:55 (permalink)
    Divemaster

It sounds more and more appealing now that we’re actuslly discussing it. Since they’re not native in PA other than in Erie, I wouldn’t want to see them end up in natural lakes. But, it might be a cool/unique potential fishery for some of our deeper manmade waters.

Not sure of the accuracy but this bit of info might turn some heads.

Also, not sure how smoked LakeWhitefish might taste???  But if it is mild flavored, there would be no need to smoke it so it could be palatable.

Excluding lake trout in Lake Erie, brook trout are the only trout native to Pennsylvania. Today, most brook troutcaught by anglers -- as well as non-native brown andrainbow trout -- are hatchery raised and stocked.Mar 31, 2013

www.post-gazette.com/sports/.../03/.../Pennsylvania...native...trout.../201303310190
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/02/08 20:45:18

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/09 09:09:47 (permalink)
    Whitefish would like very little chance of taking hold on inland lakes.

PFBC tried making KPD a 2-story fishery and it failed. Walleyes and Musky took hold, but the lake trout, brookies, browns and rainbows failed to take hold. Raystown and Kinzua and East Branch Clarion River Lake might be able to hold whitefish, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/09 09:28:27 (permalink)
    OMG, Can you imagine the shock wave across the elite trout and bass clubs if Lake Whitefish were to be stocked, or habitat changed, over trout and bass? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/09 09:48:31 (permalink)
    Smaller emeralds should work.  When I was a kid my dad took me up to a Canadian lodge to fish for a week.  We had great luck all week on eyes and pike and bass.  The older gentleman that owned the lodge told me he would take me fishing and we could catch anything I wanted.  Well, I heard there were whitefish in the lake and we hadn't caught any so I said that I wanted to go catch them.  He took me to the deepest hole in the lake and we used minnies on basically a perch rig.  He used a hand line though and he said they are such light biters that they are very difficult to detect on rod and reel/mono. They also have really fragile mouths, paper mouths, and the hand line helped him be extra gentle when bringing them in.   We caught em!  He outfished me by about 5-1. I remember missing LOTS of bites before I caught one.  Soooo, probably use a braid for sensitivity, but you will lose stretch and maybe rip their lips...gonna be a tough one but it would be pretty cool if you caught a couple. 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/10 01:35:40 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Can you get zebra mussels easily? If you're thinking to do chunks of worm, why not some mussel guts? Sounds like what they eat. Not sure how easy that would be. Could use the black mussels that you buy in the grocery store. If they don't work, steam and eat!

On a calm day, can always drive out to 6-8 FOW west of the peninsula, swim down and peel some off the rocks. We used to catch crayfish for bait that way back when we mainly drift fished.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/10 01:40:14 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Divemaster

Not sure of the accuracy but this bit of info might turn some heads.

Also, not sure how smoked LakeWhitefish might taste???  But if it is mild flavored, there would be no need to smoke it so it could be palatable.

Excluding lake trout in Lake Erie, brook trout are the only trout native to Pennsylvania. Today, most brook troutcaught by anglers -- as well as non-native brown andrainbow trout -- are hatchery raised and stocked.Mar 31, 2013

www.post-gazette.com/sports/.../03/.../Pennsylvania...native...trout.../201303310190

That’s correct. Lakers and Brookies are our only native “Trout”. Both of which are really Char so technically, PA has no native Trout. Whitefish are a Salmonid though. So them and Cisco along with Lake and Brook Char are all of our indigenous Salmonids.

Whitefish is excellent. I had it for a few meals in the UP last June during my trip. Very mild and I’d put it on par with Yellow Perch for flavor. No need to smoke it, but you can if you want to. One of the commercial fishermen on Lake Superior was selling freshly smoked Whitefish, Cisco, and Lake Char on the day we left.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lake Whitefish 2018/02/10 01:43:23 (permalink)
    psu_fish
    Whitefish would like very little chance of taking hold on inland lakes.

PFBC tried making KPD a 2-story fishery and it failed. Walleyes and Musky took hold, but the lake trout, brookies, browns and rainbows failed to take hold. Raystown and Kinzua and East Branch Clarion River Lake might be able to hold whitefish, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I don’t expect the PFBC to ever do anything with Whitefish outside of Erie (if that), just sort of tossing thoughts around. I do, however, wish we had more impoundments with fishable numbers of Lake Char. Keep meaning to check out Raystown for them but for an extra hour of driving to catch smaller fish, I think I’ll stick to Erie for now.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: