Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/15 17:41:38 (permalink)

Disagreements while steelhead fishing

Since no thread has been posted in a few days, I figured I would break the streak. What is a disagreement/fight you have seen while steelhead fishing in years past
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/15 17:46:42 (permalink)
Where to start... lol

Guys not reeling in their lines when someone hooks up, but that same person flips out when no one else does.

Guy walking right in the middle of someones drift they were fishing. I thought they were gonna fight, had the phone ready! lol

Netting a fish, guy see's where you were fishing. and walked right on top of your stuff as you walk down to net the fish. This has happened several times. Best excuse, I have a licence, I'll fish where I want. What you going to do about it. And.. If there is an issue we can settle it now.

Did hear the one year a guy up the stop sign or battle wall pulled a gun on someone. I was down stream and heard the cops pulling in.
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/15 18:05:01 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Where to start... lol

Guys not reeling in their lines when someone hooks up, but that same person flips out when no one else does.

Guy walking right in the middle of someones drift they were fishing. I thought they were gonna fight, had the phone ready! lol

Netting a fish, guy see's where you were fishing. and walked right on top of your stuff as you walk down to net the fish. This has happened several times. Best excuse, I have a licence, I'll fish where I want. What you going to do about it. And.. If there is an issue we can settle it now.

Did hear the one year a guy up the stop sign or battle wall pulled a gun on someone. I was down stream and heard the cops pulling in.

I’ve seen almost all of these occur this year. Bound to happen with so manydooodes. I’ve had several people walk into my spot. I always carry a net so now I don’t have to leave the water. I’ve adapted to fish walnut haha
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/15 18:46:21 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Where to start... lol

I’ve seen almost all of these occur this year. Bound to happen with so manydooodes. I’ve had several people walk into my spot. I always carry a net so now I don’t have to leave the water. I’ve adapted to fish walnut haha
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/15 20:37:04 (permalink)
Pretty much everything H3Fisher said. I’ve also gotten into arguments with guys that I observed blatantly snagging and/or flossing fish trying to claim they’re legal and put them on the rope of death. Back in November while fishing Fourmile I hooked up and fought a fish downstream for a few minutes, when I finish up and head back to my spot there’s a guy standing there claiming he’d been there all day.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/15 22:11:20 (permalink)
Gave up fishing the tribs many moons ago. To many A holes,rift raft,thieves and thugs. Had more stuff stolen and vehicle break in that I care to mention. Don't fish trout run or Cascade  creek thug city. Had issues years ago just like you guys have,nobody taking their line out when you say fish on. Losing your spot when going down steam to land a fish. Confronting snaggers. Just saying not ALL people are jerks met some wonderful people and made a few friends..I get a few steelhead in the bay and release all but 3 or 4 for the smoker. I believe we caught 12 or 13 perch fishing and I kept 4. I miss the fun but not the crowd.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/16 06:09:35 (permalink)
People who stand in the middle of the creek on top of the fish in gin clear water

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/16 07:21:50 (permalink)
Some kid belittling green egg sacs

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
bassackwards
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/16 07:29:35 (permalink)
My biggest fight with the stream guys at Walnut, not reeling up your lines when I bring my boat into harbor. This October into early November was bad.....

I also seen a older dude get smacked in the head by a foreign guy about 15 years ago on a mile creek, for calling him a snagger. He was blatantly snagging, but as soon as the older guy started really pushing the issue, he got knocked on his rear end, and the foreign guy packed up his fish, smiled and left. We all tried to tell the old dude to let it go, but he just kept on talking. To this day when I see a snagger, I just smile and ask how the fishing is ! Maybe offer them a larger hook......not worth getting beat up over a stocked pellet-head. 
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/16 17:19:22 (permalink)
and yet you keeping hearing about the world class fishing, just to many people in to small an area for me
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 00:06:11 (permalink)

I'd like to shake the old guy's hand that made that decision to call out that piece of #hit ! 
Too bad a few guys didn't back him up, but I wasn't there so I won't judge. At least charged with an assault had someone got a plate number or something.

Amen Big T, had all the same stuff over the years , vehicle broke into, people with no respect and just plain idiots. I go now and then, but I make it a point and try and stay away from the masses.
Luckily I was able to correct a few disrespectful people over the years without incident, and when I go fishing the last thing I want is an argument, but I won't be disrespected and keep quite. They were wrong and knew it, but some people like to try and push it till challenged. 

bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 07:27:18 (permalink)
 My opinion, the guy was going to take his limit either honestly or by snagging, didn't matter to me which one. You start going off on a foreign guy, that is much larger than you....and looks like the guy you should just smile and say HI to.....there are consequences. There is a right way to tackle it, and a wrong way (again, this 15+ years ago). 

I don't condone it, but I certainly am not going to stand in the way. His snagging was not ruining my day, nor was it affecting me. Secondly, even if you call the fuzz, how can you prove he was snagging ? We all seen it, but that does not mean our "opinions" were facts when up against a judge. It is up to law enforcement to enforce the law, and provide the proof.  

This is the problem these days, every one thinks they should enforce the rules. Just like Hollywood.....as long as someone says it "happened".....it must have happened. Prosecuting them because of my opinion is foolish....is that what this world has come to ?  I saw a guy speeding on my way to work today, is it my place to pull him over and ticket him ? If anything, speeding is more of a risk to people that some dude snagging a trout. 

Charged with assault ? I must come from a different grain...... You start a fight, you are either walking away the winner, or the loser. Men used to be able to take it. Now you worry about getting shot, or jail time, because some guys butt is hurt. I would rather see a fist fight over a gun battle. 

The guys who have the right to confront someone are paid to do so, and have the gun to back it up.  Not self appointed part time weekend warrior auxiliary law enforcement dudes.   
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 09:11:28 (permalink)
See that does affect me when people feel they are above the law and blatantly flaunt it. No one has to enforce the rules, but calling out someone who is breaking the law isn't wrong. I hate to tell you that is an assault, when someone punches you first and there are consequences legally. I agree there are some nuts today that carry weapons and one should judge carefully before a confrontation of words or actions.  Maybe I wouldn't have pushed it to that limit with words if that's what the old guy did, but the other guy went way overboard punching that guy. What if that was your dad that just got popped ? Wrong is wrong and sometimes someone is bothered and has to step up as that older guy did. Was it worth it ? Probably not, but I'll give the old guy credit ....he spoke up to that foreign snagging bully! 

Like I say I wasn't there so I might not be judging this right.

Hope the old guy has some big sons that like to fish and fight !
Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 09:17:35 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
See that does affect me when people feel they are above the law and blatantly flaunt it. No one has to enforce the rules, but calling out someone who is breaking the law isn't wrong. I hate to tell you that is an assault, when someone punches you first and there are consequences legally. I agree there are some nuts today that carry weapons and one should judge carefully before a confrontation of words or actions.  Maybe I wouldn't have pushed it to that limit with words if that's what the old guy did, but the other guy went way overboard punching that guy. What if that was your dad that just got popped ? Wrong is wrong and sometimes someone is bothered and has to step up as that older guy did. Was it worth it ? Probably not, but I'll give the old guy credit ....he spoke up to that foreign snagging bully! 

I always Carry Captain.. never leave without my phone or 9mm..
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 11:48:41 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

Nope, you read it right. It was what it was. We were all a bit appalled by it, but I could see the point where the old man had it coming. However, none of us were going to step into the battle, and certainly no one was going to pull a gun out. That is where the real trouble would have began for everyone. It was two guys who disagreed (whether above the law or not), and one guy lost. I think most people on the stream that day were wishing the old man would shut-up. The snagger thought he was above the law, and the old man thought he was above the law by trying to enforce it (which is illegal as well).

It if was my old man, I would have ask him what he learned, just like he did to me when I was a kid. I also would have asked the age old question, "was it worth it" ? And just for fun.... On Christmas day, during dinner, I would ask him to tell the story about the day he got his a** kicked on the stream.  

It is a fish......not someone trying to kidnap your kid. There is a place to fight, and a place to not fight. However, once you start running your mouth, there are consequences as well. Being "right" does not always win. 

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 12:24:43 (permalink)
Was fishing walnut at the gap to the ramp north side ,fish were only 4' from wall and we were just flip dropping baits to them. A guy south side of gap started throwing like a #4 roostertail over our lines repeatedly crossed and tangled jerking hard just completely ignorant. Finally I walked back to my truck and got my heavy fiberglass musky rod with 20lb mono and set it down on the spot. He casted it right over my heavy outfit and I ripped it so hard his rod about came out of his hands reeled it in just as hard cut the roostertail off and told him to come see me for your lure. He never came over ?
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 13:53:27 (permalink)
rmcmillen09
Was fishing walnut at the gap to the ramp north side ,fish were only 4' from wall and we were just flip dropping baits to them. A guy south side of gap started throwing like a #4 roostertail over our lines repeatedly crossed and tangled jerking hard just completely ignorant. Finally I walked back to my truck and got my heavy fiberglass musky rod with 20lb mono and set it down on the spot. He casted it right over my heavy outfit and I ripped it so hard his rod about came out of his hands reeled it in just as hard cut the roostertail off and told him to come see me for your lure. He never came over ?

Give me my rooster tail back
bassackwards
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 14:48:14 (permalink)
 Man, Pellet-head chasers are some bad a** mo-fo's. A force to be reckoned with wearing their funny little waders and big snagging rods. I have pellet-head fished on and off for 20 years, and other than one or two incidents, really everyone stays quite and vents later to their buddies. I just can't do it anymore. Everyone is a snagger, everyone crowds everyone, everyone is beneath everyone. It kills me that everyone laughs about the guys on the opening day of normal trout season, yet you guys do that same crap everyday. 

I don't understand the pellet-head scene......why can't you just walk into the stream, pick out your favorite 3.....scoop them up and head home ? The way you have to fish in Erie, it really would be more of a sport to just pick em' up. You could toss 1 or 2 brown trout in and give a prize for the token brownie. The kiddo's would go crazy. Heck, slap numbers on the side of them and give prizes based on the number you get. 

However.....I still say, the worse thing about the concrete dock pellet-headers is the lack of respect to reel up your line when we come in to dock. Arguing with a fisherman over a spot is kinda stupid to me....same with arguing over snagging....but you get your line caught in my prop.....the cops do get called (not the fishy cops, the real cops). I have more in my motors than I have in both of my trucks, and car combined. The fish cops should be working that scene rather than worrying about stocked trout. 

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 14:58:22 (permalink)
bassackwards
 Man, Pellet-head chasers are some bad a** mo-fo's. A force to be reckoned with wearing their funny little waders and big snagging rods. I have pellet-head fished on and off for 20 years, and other than one or two incidents, really everyone stays quite and vents later to their buddies. I just can't do it anymore. Everyone is a snagger, everyone crowds everyone, everyone is beneath everyone. It kills me that everyone laughs about the guys on the opening day of normal trout season, yet you guys do that same crap everyday. 

I don't understand the pellet-head scene......why can't you just walk into the stream, pick out your favorite 3.....scoop them up and head home ? The way you have to fish in Erie, it really would be more of a sport to just pick em' up. You could toss 1 or 2 brown trout in and give a prize for the token brownie. The kiddo's would go crazy. Heck, slap numbers on the side of them and give prizes based on the number you get. 

However.....I still say, the worse thing about the concrete dock pellet-headers is the lack of respect to reel up your line when we come in to dock. Arguing with a fisherman over a spot is kinda stupid to me....same with arguing over snagging....but you get your line caught in my prop.....the cops do get called (not the fishy cops, the real cops). I have more in my motors than I have in both of my trucks, and car combined. The fish cops should be working that scene rather than worrying about stocked trout. 

Bud, you probably just can’t catch trout. Bass aren’t hard to catch. Sponsor hunter?
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 15:07:53 (permalink)
Not a bad combo Bob......

Your right probably best to just avoid the situation over a stupid fish.

If the old guy was over running his mouth and carrying on he should have known a little better with that low life. Still don't think he deserved a sucker punch!

Your a better and calmer man than me though. If somebody like that popped my dad, or son, or good friend ,for expressing his opinion against someone (as long as he's not screaming or carrying on crazy like, or threating that person )  who is snagging fish sorry to say I'm in that battle too! I'm not a passive type person, but at an older age I'm aware now of my physical limits. 15 years ago.....would not hesitate a second to retaliate on a scum bag like that if he sucker punched one of mine..... just my Italian temper. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 15:10:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2018/01/17 15:48:37
bassackwards

It if was my old man, I would have ask him what he learned, just like he did to me when I was a kid. I also would have asked the age old question, "was it worth it" ? And just for fun.... On Christmas day, during dinner, I would ask him to tell the story about the day he got his a** kicked on the stream.  

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 15:47:37 (permalink)
Mabee some of you snowflakes should just stay in your Safe Space....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 16:44:53 (permalink)
bassackwards

sounds like a guy that cant catch a trout..... lol..... interesting when people wanna knock it and call em "pellet heads"... sorry we don't live in the Pacific NW  ... whats the difference between a pellet head or a 3lb PA bass???

im with ya captain hook.... screw that guy that was snagging and someone called em out! (I guess joke was on him tho)
and the rest of the cowards stood by and did nothin......... thats whats wrong with the country now-a-days... whats wrong is right and whats right is wrong

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 19:03:52 (permalink)
jat1007
bassackwards

sounds like a guy that cant catch a trout..... lol..... interesting when people wanna knock it and call em "pellet heads"... sorry we don't live in the Pacific NW  ... whats the difference between a pellet head or a 3lb PA bass???

im with ya captain hook.... screw that guy that was snagging and someone called em out! (I guess joke was on him tho)
and the rest of the cowards stood by and did nothin......... thats whats wrong with the country now-a-days... whats wrong is right and whats right is wrong

(Spends 40,000 on a boat to catch a three pound bass)
Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 19:19:27 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Not a bad combo Bob......

Your right probably best to just avoid the situation over a stupid fish.

If the old guy was over running his mouth and carrying on he should have known a little better with that low life. Still don't think he deserved a sucker punch!

Your a better and calmer man than me though. If somebody like that popped my dad, or son, or good friend ,for expressing his opinion against someone (as long as he's not screaming or carrying on crazy like, or threating that person )  who is snagging fish sorry to say I'm in that battle too! I'm not a passive type person, but at an older age I'm aware now of my physical limits. 15 years ago.....would not hesitate a second to retaliate on a scum bag like that if he sucker punched one of mine..... just my Italian temper. 

I agree capt. the quality of fisherman has gone down with the fishing.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 21:36:29 (permalink)
The disagreement starts when one can't accept the fact that a ditch is a ditch is a ditch.
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/17 21:43:47 (permalink)
bassackwards
CAPTAIN HOOK

Nope, you read it right. It was what it was. We were all a bit appalled by it, but I could see the point where the old man had it coming. However, none of us were going to step into the battle, and certainly no one was going to pull a gun out. That is where the real trouble would have began for everyone. It was two guys who disagreed (whether above the law or not), and one guy lost. I think most people on the stream that day were wishing the old man would shut-up. The snagger thought he was above the law, and the old man thought he was above the law by trying to enforce it (which is illegal as well).

It is a fish......not someone trying to kidnap your kid. There is a place to fight, and a place to not fight. However, once you start running your mouth, there are consequences as well. Being "right" does not always win. 

Dude thanks for the laugh that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/18 05:35:52 (permalink)
Meatball
bassackwards
CAPTAIN HOOK

Dude thanks for the laugh that's the funniest thing I've seen all day!

👍🏼👍🏼
Indiana_Bob
Avid Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/18 06:12:35 (permalink)
bingsbaits

I run there when I see a Shady dude with a cigar hanging out of his mouth.
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Disagreements while steelhead fishing 2018/01/18 06:45:41 (permalink)
Indiana_Bob
bingsbaits

I run there when I see a Shady dude with a cigar hanging out of his mouth.

Dont assume genders pls
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to: