Loss of the Big Dog

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
2018/01/03 14:55:38 (permalink)

Loss of the Big Dog

Today, Dyson decided that he could no longer hunt in this world with his arthritis, so he went to hunt with Darty (his father and the other dog in my avatar) across the Rainbow Bridge.

I did get to hunt him the first week of pheasant season. He basically walked along with me and we took a break about every 75 yards. I knew his hunting career was over then. But he was always a good dog, just as a dog, so we looked forward to walks to the creek on our property when he wanted to and hung out on the lanai while my wife played bubbles with Daphne (our female Pointer that, unfortunately, Dyson never bred, so our line of State Pheasant Hunting Champions ends here).

A week or so ago, he stopped wanting to eat. A trip to the vet did not show what that issue was, but it did reveal that his arthritis had spread to his back and even his ribs, making it difficult for him to breath. We secured some meds and in a few days he was not only eating, but wanted to make the trek to the creek at a pace that I could not keep up with.

He gave it a good go for the last few days, but this morning it was clear that he was not long for this world and he begged me to take him to the vet for a final visit. I could not deny his gentle soul.

Please raise a glass of your preferred adult beverage.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

14 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/03 15:27:25 (permalink)
    Dardys,
    My condolences to you and yours for the loss of your friend. I'll toast a tumbler of Wild turkey to him  when I get out of this thing called work.

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/03 15:41:20 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that Shawn.  Glad you got to enjoy some quality time in the last few months.  

I've had one great hunting dog - a black lab named Hank - that I had to put down at 7 due to Lyme Disease.  I cried harder doing that than I did when my mom passed away.  

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/03 16:01:31 (permalink)
    Very sorry to hear that!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/03 17:49:51 (permalink)
    I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and hunting buddy...they certainly leave much deeper footprints than many folks could ever understand.
    I also have to believe that our friends will be there to greet us when we ourselves pass, that thought and the good memories of times spent with them help get through this hard time.
    Thank you for all of the posts over the years sharing him with all of us.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/03 19:19:57 (permalink)
    The Mrs. and I send our condolences Dardys.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/04 10:53:02 (permalink)
    The most sincerest of condolences.  I know the feeling all to well of losing a "pet" that was so much more than that.  Maybe yours and mine will get together, your guys can point them up and he will retrieve.  Again, my heartfelt condolences for your loss(literally with tears in my eyes).
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/04 11:30:30 (permalink)
    Sorry Dardys. I feel your pain brother. It always fun to get that new pup,but somewhere down the line you know that dreaded day coming. I'm sure you have fond memories of your special boy. 
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/22 09:54:45 (permalink)
    DarDys, I have not been following this site lately, and just now read your post. My sympathy for a sad time. Dogs short lives let us know many however acquaint us with the grief of loss more often. 
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/22 10:46:01 (permalink)
    I thank you all for your sentiments. It is coming up on three weeks soon and we miss the grumpy, old fart.

Our concern was that his kennel mate, Daphne would have a difficult transition since she has never been alone without other dogs around. She spent the first week looking and smelling for Dyson, but has slowly stopped that, realizing he isn’t coming back.

In the past, we have had dogs get down right depressed at the loss of their kennel mate, and the never really pulled out of it, even when a new dog came on board. Others kind of welcomed the independence and when another dog was added, they, by default of being there first, assumed an alpha role. Daphne seems to be trending toward being and independent dog.

One thing that we have noticed that happens in this situation is that the remaining dog grows, sometimes by a lot. And not fat, but taller, longer, and more muscular. The food intake is the same, but they seem to need to grow into their new stature.

We want to add to our kennel (the original plan was to breed Daphne and Dyson, but that didn’t work out), so hopefully we can breed our female to a fellow hunter’s male. His Pointer is from grouse trial stock, while ours have all been from quail trials.

I have hunted over his dog and he has the potential to match his pedigree. It would be a good match with her skills and look forward to a litter. The plan is to keep two puppies for me to train. Hopefully all works out.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/22 13:15:49 (permalink)
    Good luck my friend,hard to replace and old hunting buddy.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/22 21:02:56 (permalink)
    Very sorry to hear, Shawn.
    I feel your pain...I lost both of my boys in last 6 months.
    Man I miss them!

-Ken

Blacktop Charters
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9679
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/22 21:34:17 (permalink)
    Condolences both. I don't usually check the hunting forums. Just happened to see this now. Pets are a part of the family. The worst feeling taking them to meet their maker, but better than watching them suffer.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/23 10:04:40 (permalink)
    Ironhed
    Very sorry to hear, Shawn.
    I feel your pain...I lost both of my boys in last 6 months.
    Man I miss them!

-Ken

Wow, really sorry to hear that. I cannot imagine losing two that close together.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: Loss of the Big Dog 2018/01/23 16:41:02 (permalink)
    Glass recently raised to Dyson. Sorry for your loss. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jump to: