Steelhead

Author
Justin176
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2017/12/19 20:24:49 (permalink)

Steelhead

I got up to erie this morning, and found out the streams are pretty high from the snow melt and the ice melt. Just looking for some tips on these types of conditions.

10 Replies Related Threads

Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/20 09:15:25 (permalink)
    Justin176
    I got up to erie this morning, and found out the streams are pretty high from the snow melt and the ice melt. Just looking for some tips on these types of conditions.

Not sure if you fly fish, but during the winter I only use size 18 nymphs and egg patterns. In high water conditions, I do good on mopflies, egg patterns, squirmy worms... I always use an indicator while fishing in high water. I prefer to use an indicator because euro nymphing seems to cause many foul hookings. Seen many dudes this year yanking everycast while euronymphing snagging a ton. If the water I blown, use chartreuse and blue colors (most visible colors to steelhead when very muddy)
    post edited by Erie_flyfishing - 2017/12/20 09:17:20
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/20 10:37:16 (permalink)
    It’s hindsight now but one look at the water gauges or even checking Facebook woulda told you it was blown. Also gotta watch the weather...it was frozen last week...now warmer temps and rain...naturally that would indicate high water. Next time you’ll know.

Use egg sacks and big streamers. Fish will hug the banks out of the fast water. You’ll get some snags on debris too but sometimes it’ll be a fish if u get enough weight on it to get it down to bottom. Fish will be “surprised” and might not even know they are hooked because of all the crap floating by.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/20 11:00:31 (permalink)
    fish as far upstream from the mouths the water clears quicker upstream

I have become comfortably numb
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 04:16:18 (permalink)
    Erie_flyfishing
    Justin176

I always use an indicator while fishing in high water. I prefer to use an indicator because euro nymphing seems to cause many foul hookings. Seen many dudes this year yanking everycast while euronymphing snagging a ton.

Elaborate... being that surface water drifts faster than sub surface... i presume this would cause a lot of complications on a “high water” drift?? For example... presentation not gettin down where it needs to be, at the speed it needs to be?
    post edited by fishfashfush - 2017/12/21 04:18:32

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 08:05:59 (permalink)
    I don’t no what yuro nimfing is. Is that like bit coyne ???

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 08:22:28 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    Erie_flyfishing
    Justin176

I always use an indicator while fishing in high water. I prefer to use an indicator because euro nymphing seems to cause many foul hookings. Seen many dudes this year yanking everycast while euronymphing snagging a ton.

Elaborate... being that surface water drifts faster than sub surface... i presume this would cause a lot of complications on a “high water” drift?? For example... presentation not gettin down where it needs to be, at the speed it needs to be?
    It's a real shame there's no way of adjusting the position of the line in relation to your fly when you're fly fishing...
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 09:31:05 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    fishfashfush
    Erie_flyfishing
    Justin176

It's a real shame there's no way of adjusting the position of the line in relation to your fly when you're fly fishing...

Mending can do Miracles
    Erie_flyfishing
    Expert Angler
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 09:41:33 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    I don’t no what yuro nimfing is. Is that like bit coyne ???

Obviously
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/21 23:07:48 (permalink)
    100 mph mending or 100 times wichever comes first i guess...

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Indiana_Bob
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Steelhead 2017/12/27 19:30:24 (permalink)
    fishfashfush
    Erie_flyfishing
    Justin176

Please don’t ask him confusing questions..
    Jump to: