• Reward points: 0
2017/11/30 14:22:11 (permalink)

Steelhead

What is your best memory while steelhead fishing in erie
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: Steelhead 2017/11/30 14:58:52 (permalink)
Breaking my yellow rope out of its packaging
Coalmole
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Steelhead 2017/11/30 15:09:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DubVGotM 2017/12/01 21:13:08
When you saw the same 12 fisherman all day
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead 2017/11/30 17:02:37 (permalink)
Arriving at Trout Run at 6 am. in mid October 1985 , no cars around nobody fishing , lake is flat as glass. Walking to the beach and see a few Steelhead rippling on the lake surface. Landed 4 Steelies before the first person showed up. One in a million..... only time I ever had all of Trout Run to myself for a few hours after daylight. 
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Steelhead 2017/11/30 20:01:02 (permalink)
Ahh so many:

Catching two citation browns in one afternoon in 2012.

The first time my dad and I went up back in 1995, we were fishing off Freeport beach, taking turns casting an egg sack on a little dinky ultralight rod with no clue what we were doing, suddenly the pole about got pulled into the water, and after a nice fight, we had our first steelhead ever. 

My GF catching her first steelhead earlier this year. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Steelhead 2017/11/30 20:15:52 (permalink)
Yes the alley has many great memories! John your gf was good at betting your fish this year. My favorite memory was hooking a king and a brown in the same day
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6351
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/02 11:59:59 (permalink)
Wayyy back when the program was just starting.  Being able to go upstream on Walnut or Elk, and finding a space where there were no other fishermen.  And being able to fish, catch and release numerous fish in a day.  Plus with the different species they were stocking you had a chance of hooking many different species. 2d to that was in about 86 when a friend of mine hooked what had to be a King on Elk and fought it for 20 minutes till it broke off.  It was his first big fish hook-up.  Plus helping soo many 1st timers hook their 1st steelhead.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
pheasant tail 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/02 21:57:53 (permalink)
Fishing with my buddies, good times.

PT2
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/02 23:00:21 (permalink)
Pigpen, no doubt. That place was like adventure land as a kid. What more could you want as a 12 year old kid? Big fish, snack bar, drunk/clumsy guys falling off of those narrow docks, watching fish jumping the waterfalls and stacked under the bridge when bored. Fishing from the back end of the pick pen in the lake. All it needed was those coin machines with the nudity pictures that some of the fishing piers in the OBX had back then... Maybe it had those, but forgot. If so, even better!!!

Forgot to mention, watching the guys at Troutrun back then too. Waders back then for half of the guys, was jeans and sneakers, garbage bags or bathing suits in 40 degree water and outside temps... Just about every steelheader had a small club to beat in the head of fish they caught, before tossing on a rope and marinating in Erie water for hours.
post edited by Porktown - 2017/12/02 23:13:38
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/03 10:51:11 (permalink)
Porktown
Pigpen, no doubt. That place was like adventure land as a kid. What more could you want as a 12 year old kid? Big fish, snack bar, drunk/clumsy guys falling off of those narrow docks, watching fish jumping the waterfalls and stacked under the bridge when bored. Fishing from the back end of the pick pen in the lake. All it needed was those coin machines with the nudity pictures that some of the fishing piers in the OBX had back then... Maybe it had those, but forgot. If so, even better!!!

Forgot to mention, watching the guys at Troutrun back then too. Waders back then for half of the guys, was jeans and sneakers, garbage bags or bathing suits in 40 degree water and outside temps... Just about every steelheader had a small club to beat in the head of fish they caught, before tossing on a rope and marinating in Erie water for hours.

Saw a kid this year at walnut that was just wearing jeans when it was 20 degrees out...
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/04 08:50:50 (permalink)
People falling into the lake with it in the 30's... Stand back up and continue fishing like nothing happened.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/04 10:10:07 (permalink)
catching cohos on a regular basis mixed with the steel it was exciting not knowin wich was on 

I have become comfortably numb
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/06 20:38:47 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Arriving at Trout Run at 6 am. in mid October 1985 , no cars around nobody fishing , lake is flat as glass. Walking to the beach and see a few Steelhead rippling on the lake surface. Landed 4 Steelies before the first person showed up. One in a million..... only time I ever had all of Trout Run to myself for a few hours after daylight. 

wow, you did that too huh? I quit that hope shortly after beaching my boat at trout run with the wife in tears as i went after a moron tossing egg sinkers on a noodle at my boat. And another "fisherman" refusing to reel in his line at walnut through the channel in my boat. I climbed out and chased the foul mouthed tough guy idiots while a kind older gent held my boat with his net, wish i knew who that guy was, he thanked me for my help, i thanked him for his. never again, you guys can have it, all of it, ill fish niagara for trout from a boat. Or a local stream or lake with no pressure or idiots to contend with for anything. A handful of morons ruin the experience for many, what a shame. The very same clowns i clean up after, as do many. Outdoorsman, hmm, sure. Pick out and say who is an**** that quality is gone. Doesnt anyone have balls anymore?

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/06 21:39:33 (permalink)
Meatball
CAPTAIN HOOK

wow, you did that too huh? I quit that hope shortly after beaching my boat at trout run with the wife in tears as i went after a moron tossing egg sinkers on a noodle at my boat. And another "fisherman" refusing to reel in his line at walnut through the channel in my boat. I climbed out and chased the foul mouthed tough guy idiots while a kind older gent held my boat with his net, wish i knew who that guy was, he thanked me for my help, i thanked him for his. never again, you guys can have it, all of it, ill fish niagara for trout from a boat. Or a local stream or lake with no pressure or idiots to contend with for anything. A handful of morons ruin the experience for many, what a shame. The very same clowns i clean up after, as do many. Outdoorsman, hmm, sure. Pick out and say who is an**** that quality is gone. Doesnt anyone have balls anymore?

walnut generates the best fishermen... Is it April 1st yet???
post edited by Erie_flyfishing - 2017/12/06 21:47:09
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/06 21:47:32 (permalink)
Trout Run and the Pig Pen were crazy once the heavy crowds showed up. I remember when they allowed people to clean their fish anywhere. Trout Run stunk so bad with fish carcasses everywhere you could hardly stand to fish. A few years later the Commish put a dumpster there. It will fill up in a week or less so bad you couldn't close the lid ! You were allowed 8 Trout limit or 3 Salmon. Mostly Coho salmon were caught back then, Trout were actually rare!

The Pig Pen was full of people daily, they allowed 50 persons in an 8 hour shift, yea shifts ! On the weekends they allowed 75 in per shift. And it sold out many a shift, so people waited in line till someone left to get in ! I seen as many as 15-20 people in line waiting to enter. What a sight , snaggers , drunks , kids , handicaps, guys , girls , locals , out of towers, all fishing in a marina about 4 ft. deep ! Never a dull moment, I seen it all there and so did the cops and wardens ! Didn't need boots, everyone just fished off the narrow docks or marina sidewalks. Had a restroom there and served coffee and small items . Open 24/7 all season long. A mini gold mine for the owner and his daughters that ran it.

It closed up because they were only allowed to dredge the marina mouth so many times a season by law. It will fill up with sand fairly fast during the windy Fall weather and actually block the entry and fish couldn't get in. Also they were diverting water into the marina from Trout Run tributary with out screening it proper and interfering with fish migrations. Basically there were in some violations that were overlooked for a few years I was told, plus it was totally out of control with parking and people. That and a few other things brought it to the end. It was an experience to behold in the Salmon /Steelhead era ! 
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/06 23:48:07 (permalink)
 Camp'n on beach yr. man first set foot on moon. Huge schools ov Coho cruis'n the surface just off shore with a moonlit night sky 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2017/12/06 23:51:15
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Steelhead 2017/12/07 00:42:19 (permalink)
 Back then just George Jetson & Mr. Spacely were the only ones doing it, now everyone has Skype  

Had the beach to myself those nights while the others slept in the cottage 

crappy
Jump to: