Gear review

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 10:24:31 (permalink)
Must be what happened to me, sitting out in the cold too long, no life in my battery.  

Dave I'm looking at the Otter Sled,  you are able to get all that gear of yours stowed away and there would be room for a power auger, I assume?  How do you think a loaded sled would fit on a hitch hauler with just a sled cover to keep things tidy and not falling out?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 11:38:11 (permalink)
I dont even keep mine loaded in the back of my truck. Flasher, rods, gear boxes ect. i put in my back seat only thing that rides in the back is my shanty and sled. If you have the travel bag for your auger it should fit fine next to the shanty then your gear could ride on top? Just make sure what ever sled you buy is long enough to accommodate the length of the shanty bag.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 17:53:38 (permalink)
First my complaint, if it's justifiable.
The mister heater ( buddy).
Mine is not working as it should or did about 10 years ago. The pilot flame is weak, pretty much have to turn it to high to run and it shuts off frequently.
Given that said, I bought it new for $40.00 on clearance in a hardware store winter clearance. I used and beat the crap out of it and at 1 time threw it out of the shanty on fire, lol. So my complaint might not be allowed.. It's actually been running for 10 mins now. Huh.
I'm just saying they are expensive to replace.
When it started acting up 2 seasons ago, I bought the little buddy heater that screws right to the top of a bottle and it's been working fine, really it's better for the flip over.

BTDT:
Gather youradvice and reviews. The choice is always yours to make and putting eyes and hands on things helps.
I'm partial to shappell and frabill. I have friends and family who have Clam, Eskimo and otter brands as well so I see them in use.
A jet sled by shappell has been a staple for many years with good reason. They are very durable, their design is great in which ive loaded 2 plus gear, 3 people in a Subaru and small suv. A regular jet sled will hold enough gear. No matter what brand id get the cover. Keeping your gear all together and under cover is great. Really helps if it's snowing out as once you set up your sled will fill with snow otherwise. Of course you could flip it over, but...

Good luck on your purchases.
Btw, my buddy heater just shut off again. Ugh

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 18:02:55 (permalink)
Hey Rich you can get a thermocouple kit and clean the jet for bout 12 $ and an hour of time. Brought 2 back from the dead like that, both garage sale $3 specials

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 19:50:21 (permalink)
Ok , i did a search and found a thermocouple with tip over switch for $13.00 to the door. Got all jazzed up and started tearing all those tiny screws and oh yea, the washers in the handle apart. Couldn't figure how to get the burn zone side off. Almost threw it out the door in a heap.
Plan abandoned, I read somewhere that try to jumper the tilt switch out so I did and put that sucker back togetheras fast as I could before losing parts.

It's been running.. I kicked it a few times and it's still running. Not the brightest flame or move but it may survive the dumpster awhile longer

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 23:14:43 (permalink)
Have you cleaned the pilot tube?
RichW
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Gear review 2018/01/11 19:57:26 (permalink)
Tuna, better late than never.  Sending you a thank you for referring the Fish USA  Frabill Ice Jacket in Dec of 2015!  Never had opportunity to use it last two years as there was very little ice in NJ.   Finally got out yesterday and today on a solid 10 inches on Tilcon Lake near Stanhope NJ.     The State has been doing a nice job of stocking Atlantics in holdover lakes the past few years,  Waywayanda, Areoflex, Swartswood and now Tilcon.   Got this lady this morning on a  silver Swedish Pimple.  Although she spit two shiners on the ice,  her belly had five herring and a large rubber worm inside.  
Going to hit 60 tomorrow, but right back into the 20's Saturday.
Friend of mine has a house on the Great Sacandaga so maybe we will be up your way before soon!

Great to be back on ice and retired!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 08:45:52 (permalink)
Very nice Rich. Glad you got out and like the jacket. I wear it in the spring as well.
That's a dandy of a catch too, congratulations 😀

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 09:22:59 (permalink)
I have the same jacket, it's a little light unless you layer up, but that makes it more versatile as I wear it as a wading jacket too.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 09:34:49 (permalink)
Yea Clint. I think that was in my original post way back . I wear a sweatshirt and wanted a lighter jacket to put over that I could take off in the shanty and would protect me outside.
I had heavy parkas that were just to heavy with a sweatshirt underneath and to hot in the shanty by themselves

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 13:37:00 (permalink)
  Just got word from FishUSA, my shanty is on it's way!!    Hope it comes with pontoons!!!!  Not really, I expect things should settle down in a day or two and the ice should be good to go.

HT and Outasync sure appreciate the help.   I'm soooo happy!!!  But right now I gotta make the better half happy, and go sit in my ground blind.  She enjoys the peace and quiet when I'm away.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 17:08:40 (permalink)
Nice ! I hope it serves you well !
You ended up with the Eskimo-3 insulated ?

Fish USA Is a place to shop . They are always my first choice because of their great service. So I guess I can throw them in as a gear review for their store and services. Never once in the many years and products have I had a complaint towards there.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 18:06:40 (permalink)
Not insulated HT, I looked at the weight difference then figured for the size, I should be able to keep the space heated if need be, using my Coleman radiant heater.

When I saw the item would be back ordered I sent a email asking a expected delivery date. Wasn't a few hours they returned with an answer of Jan 15.

Around 4:00 PM this date I received a delivery notice from UPS. I have a delivery on Jan 15. OHhh BOY!!!

Now, if all the area ice that is currently flooded refreezes, won't that be super?

I've done business with FishUSA for a couple years now and not had a problem so this year, my letter to Santa ask for FishUSA gift cards.

They price match for thirty days after your purchase plus if they put your item on sale (within 30 days) after your purchase they will issue you a credit to your account.

Returns and exchanges are hassle free but they do have rules.

Anytime I had a question, they have always gotten back to me within a reasonable time.

Thanks again for your input, hope someday I might return the same.

Keep the "Gear Review" thread open, you might be surprised how many people such as myself, enjoy the read.

Good times and tight lines......
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/12 18:10:52

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 18:29:06 (permalink)
Do yourself a favor and put it up and take it down several times in your garage or basement. Get proficient and it will make you life easier on those cold windy days. As far as keeping it warm I was fine down to 0 with my buddy heater. Not warm, but able to operate with no gloves easily.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 18:38:08 (permalink)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-Heater-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter/1151605.uts?productVariantId=1662921&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=03046991&rid=20&msclkid=f592a14e97941beb73fafb17d373d3d0&gclid=CMGowp3K09gCFRLQswodI9ENtg&gclsrc=ds

I will give my thumbs up to this.  You can refill your tanks at home for about 50 cents or so. There is a trick though.  Keep your small tanks outside or in the freezer ad you big tank indoors. I can 15 or 16 fills out of a 20# tank. Always test for leaks after I use a bucket of water. If they leak screw them on your heater then how away from empty. Some of the little last 15 plus fills, some only one. Saves some green for sure. You can usually find enough tanks on the ice that goons leave there to be set.
post edited by Clint S - 2018/01/12 18:40:10

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 18:59:36 (permalink)
I copy Clint and thanks. I have a hub style ground blind I use for hunting and that sucker can be a PITA to set up and tear down for sure.

I've refilled propane tanks myself and the adapter is worth the cost if you burn a lot of propane for sure. In the days before LED lanterns or fluorescent even, we used a lot of propane in our lanterns camping the shores of the Allegheny or feeding the mosquitoes night fishing our local lakes. Not to mention heating the shanty, lighting our way on the ice and perking a great cup of coffee on the Coleman propane stove.

When it comes to reviews, thumbs up to Coleman camping products. I have Coleman products thirty years old and can still find repair parts if needed.

Tight lines and becarful pushing this new snow around.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/12 19:42:34 (permalink)
The adaptor refill has saved me lots of $$ as I burn those 1 lb tanks every weekend and it seems I'm always the "Guy" with propane 🙄
Becarefull !! As Clint said, some tanks last , some are leakers from the get go. I'm very cautious with them and I test using dish soap and water but still find "stinkers " and label them for disposal.
I also weigh them and find the first 5-6come out heavy sometimes.
The last 12-16 usually not enough "juice " in the big tank left so they run about 0.75 to 0.50 lbs. Then the big tank goes on the grill.

Another interesting thing happened Sunday was I put a heavy tank on the cook stove. Wen finished cooking I put stove and tank outside of shanty and fished another 3 hrs. Upon leaving, I unscrewed tank and the tank valve didn't ( wouldn't) seat thus blowing a plume of propane at high pressure. It was like holding a garden hose at full blast. That thing took at least 5 mins to drain. It rode in bed of truck for 3 hrs and was still "stinky "

Becarefull !!
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/01/12 19:45:23

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/16 19:49:53 (permalink)
Now I'm looking for any gear reviewers. BTDT, shanty working out ?  It's going to be a stellar weekend to use it if not already, I hope.

My question is I'm always looking ahead. Believe it or not I'm working on getting my Striper and trout gear ready. Plan ahead is my goal . What's your thoughts on okuma reels. I have not had great results. Its the price point that always kicks my butt on the avenger series. I bought a series of baitfeeder 55's and they seemed to light. My only size  65 was huge in size  but  had a better line retrieve and handled 30 lb mono better.
I run 4 to 6 rods be it trolling or live bait, not including jigging for bait on stripers.
The bait runner reel is the key .  Is there a better quality bait runner for $100.00 each ? don't forget X 4 .
I have an awesome shimano from the early 90's that today is over $200.
Penns are great reels too but have not owned any or used any that were made prior to the 21st century .
 comments and thoughts welcomed . am I wasting my time with a reel I'm not satisfied with ?

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/16 21:04:05 (permalink)
I have an Okuma fly reel I beat the crap out of for a few years, but no others. It's turned into my loaner reel, but has yet to let anyone down.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/16 21:20:37 (permalink)

HT I was just talking about the hub shanty and unfortunately I have not had a chance to set the thing up.  UPS arrived late in the afternoon yesterday because of the snow and I spent the better part of this morning plowing that snow out of my driveway.  I was just telling Outasync I didn't want to get the shack outside for a trial because of all the snow still coming down.  I didn't want to get the shanty  wet in case something would be wrong and I would have to return it.  Plus, the better half said no way to setting it up in the living room cause I think she thought I might get overly excited and fire up the ice auger too. 

The real problem was trying to figure out how to get the shanty on the sled without chance of upsetting and dumping the works while moving.  I didn't want to unpack the thing until I was absolutely sure I could haul all the equipment in one trip by myself.  Usually not a problem taking someone along for a day of fishing on the ice, so help is usually available to carry the equipment out.  It's getting all the equipment back 'cause the help disappears, when the ice starts singing.

I did take a sneak peak and must say I am happy as the material is heavier, coming in at 300 denier, than I expected.  It's not insulated but the material is much thicker than the material that is on my present shanty and that thing is like me, beyond old. 

I hope to get out first thing tomorrow morning and try my luck at setting the shanty up for the first time but that will depend if I can turn my neck in the morning.  Spending an hour plowing snow wasn't bad except I was using a plow attached to the three point hitch on my tractor.  I been walking around looking backwards most of the day.

Hey, while we are on the subject of reviews and snow removal, I sure can attest to the Torro Power Shovel as I been putting one of those to the test the past week.   Stupid wind has been causing the snow to blow over my house dumping it right on my back sidewalk and deck.  If i would have had to shovel the piles of snow from those areas, there would be marks from tractor tires over the deck and across the sidewalk.  I don't use the power shovel every time but I am sure happy to have had it so far this winter.  I'll have to do a edit to post some pictures so bear with me.  Ummm, that's "bear" as in "bear" and not intended to sound like "bare".

a.jpg]

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/16 21:29:04

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/16 22:52:03 (permalink)
HT I am not a big owner of Okuma equipment but did purchase two trolling combinations using the Magda 20 DLX line counter level wind reels and two trolling combination Magda 30 DLXT line counter level winds.  The 20s are rigged for planner boarding and the 30s are rigged with lead core.  The cost of the rigs was my sole reason for their purchase as I didn't want to invest a lot of money for trolling equipment of which I would seldom use.  

Well one day I was playing with the outfits, trying to look like I knew what I was doing when I made a friction adjustment by turning the bearing cap on one of the thirties but, it wasn't until I placed the rig back in the rod holder that I watched the bearing cap sink out of sight into the depths of the lake I was fishing.  Well tah didn't ruin the day because the reel would continue to operate without problem which didn't matter in the long run because i wasn't catching any stupid fish anyway.

OK so long story short, I got home and dug out the parts diagram where I found the part numbers and learned I lost the washer too, so I sent Okuma an email with part numbers, cause I was ordering a spare, asking for a price and expected shipping date.  Minutes later I received a return asking for my full name and address.  Again minutes, after submitting the information I received yet another email thanking me for buying Okuma products and my parts would be on their way.  No charge and shipping was free.

I can't complain about the quality of the equipment purchased, but then again I have not used the rods and reels long enough, to form an opinion in that field, but I think my experience can speak for the quality of service.

FYI, I purchased all the equipment from FishUSA.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 10:58:03 (permalink)
First impression, "sets up in seconds".... my asz. lol At least not for this old guy, the first time. Can't wait to get my wind back to see how it all tears down and fits back in the bag. Stay tuned, more exciting news when we return.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 11:28:25 (permalink)
GOOD GRIEF I DID IT and all by myself!!

Note to Eskimo: add another two inches of material to the bag or better yet, make it funnel shape like the stupid tent when collapsed.😡

More news when I return... gonna read the included instruction now.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/17 11:30:01

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 16:48:43 (permalink)
That's cool. There certainly is a knack to opening and closing them. Sometimes the hubs and poles get tangled when opening and you must remain calm. As far as the bag goes. I have not found any manafacturs that give you an appropriate sized bag that makes it easy. I went to a surplus store and bought one .

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 19:43:21 (permalink)
It's overkill and cost $25.00 at surplus store but it holds shanty and a lot of gear. The zipper is nice and big too

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 19:52:37 (permalink)
When said and done. My heater, stove, pop up shanty, tip ups , vexliar, food and beverage are all under this cover right now, well not food and drink. This is my set up and it's pretty compact. I was a jet sked guy for years until I got this flip over that is dual purpose.
Some days we never set up home base pop up .

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 20:49:03 (permalink)
Warned you. I thought  I was a smart guy and fid not read or take directions with me the first time. I ended up freezing out in the wind. I am pretty good now. Can pop it up or take it down in two minutes. I only got the poles tanged once and that was a few days ago in the basement as I always set it up to dry it out. Took close to 30 minutes to figure it out. Hint,  zip the zipper before you close it. I had folded it through the unzipped door and user tension it was a bear to fix. Get one stake in before you pop it if you are setting up alone or you may be chasing it...... 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 21:11:44 (permalink)
Great idea on the bag.

I'm waiting on the sled 'cause I know darn well they will be on sale. Some are already on the internet but the shipping is terrible.

Got a little 'xperiment going and hope to test drive the idea tomorrow. Purchased 5/16 x 4 1/2" lag screws and 1 1/2" fender washers. JetWelded the washers to the screws just for the ease of keeping the things together when using as ice anchors. Also bought a el-cheapo 1/2 inch driver socket to use in a drill motor for installing and removing the anchors.

Included in this package will be a socket and el-cheapo ratchet in the event the drill dies or the driver socket poops the bed.

On stand-by will be a battery powered reciprocating saw with extra battery and metal cutting blades. Cutting torch had to be scraped, shanty mfg warns no open flames should be used in or near the hut.

Stay tuned.😝
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/17 21:14:10

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/17 22:28:17 (permalink)
Clint I have a hub ground blind I use for hunting and I swear every hunting season there's gonna be a fire and I think the thing hears me because suddenly, it sets up with ease. I swear the hubs and rods have a mind of their own.

Then tear the thing down and have to threaten to beat it into submission if it don't go back in the bag.

Seriously though, my first impression of the shanty is positive. I am happy with the quality of the material. Plenty of room for three people to fish. Two zippered doors big enough to permit easy entry/exiting while wearing insulated outerwear. Plenty of windows allowing plenty of light (daytime only). Several sizable pockets attached to the walls to stow gear like gloves n stuff. Tall enough for a guy to stand up and move around. Reinforced tabs with metal grommets to install ice anchors. Six anchors with sizable hand loops neatly stowed in a heavy storage pack. Can be set up by (a competent) one individual and likewise taken down. Light weight (mine is not insulated) and comes in a bag with padded shoulder straps for backpacking.

I hope to get on the ice tomorrow and give the shanty it's first field test. I'm sure getting on the ice and initial setup will be exciting. It will be tearing down while tired, cold and no stupid fish, that will be the real test.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/17 22:33:43

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/18 17:29:24 (permalink)
I hope everyone has a great weekend what ever days they may be. Mine are hitting laker waters hard for 2 days sat-Sun with a group of friends and family. Pictures to follow, I hope:)

Anyway back to my okuma question.
The reels I have seemed 2 light for chucking a 12 herring and up to 6 oz weight and hooking a 30 lb striper. The drags didn't seem adequate and construction was par-sub. To kick that series under the bus a little more, I also own them in smaller sizes for trout and bass as well as the larger level line trolling reels for salmon. That manafacturs reels have not impressed me at all and seem very disposable .

I been researching Penn again. It's seems they are trying to compete price point with a lower cost reel but still 20 above the disposable ones I seem to dislike.
I'm sure I'm answering my own question of you get what you pay for but geesh. $100.00 for a descent trout reel and $200 plus per to outfit a 4 rod specialty set up is tough.
If there are any loyal non disposable brand reels that people feel are worthy of the cost I'm very interested.
Fish USA Is waiting for my order, lol

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to: