Gear review

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 20:05:09 (permalink)
I like to take alot of crap with me so I am hoping to use my wheeler this year. I have an old otter 2 man and a pop up . The pop up weighs less but the flip is easier to set up by myself especially in the wind. Both are not bad to heat.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 21:00:05 (permalink)
Right on. I just can't drag or lift the big flip over very well. They are much more comfortable as is the pop up but I'm kinda mobile. When with friends we just toss up a home base pop up ( killzone) and branch off.
Now it's time to put the tip ups away and break out the silver bullet gear

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 21:53:06 (permalink)
If a guy was lookin to purchase say.......  a new ice fishing hut and this guy fishes mostly by one's self and must manually drag his equipment because his stupid state disallows any motorized vehicles on the ice.  What one hut would be the most likely recommended, keeping in mind the hut must be transported and set up by one little old guy unless, a couple of his friends convince him to take them fishing.  Therefore the hut should comfortably seat no less than two people, plus gear, at any given time?  Also keep in mind, these friends couldn't stack bales of hay in broad daylight on a mild summer day so absolutely no setup/tear down help can be expected.

I'll be researching ice huts on FishUSA for a bit, so please feel free to leave a suggestion or two but it keep it quiet as I think the wife may be listening.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 22:28:25 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
If a guy was lookin to purchase say.......  a new ice fishing hut and this guy fishes mostly by one's self and must manually drag his equipment because his stupid state disallows any motorized vehicles on the ice.  What one hut would be the most likely recommended, keeping in mind the hut must be transported and set up by one little old guy unless, a couple of his friends convince him to take them fishing.  Therefore the hut should comfortably seat no less than two people, plus gear, at any given time?  Also keep in mind, these friends couldn't stack bales of hay in broad daylight on a mild summer day so absolutely no setup/tear down help can be expected.

I'll be researching ice huts on FishUSA for a bit, so please feel free to leave a suggestion or two but it keep it quiet as I think the wife may be listening.

If going with another, I'd recommend a hub shelter. Cant give a specific product due to mine (killzone) is no longer available . I'm pretty sure all the other manufactures are reliable . I spent $99.00 on the smaller zone and $150.0 on the larger.  Larger is better, to a point.
Tips : would be height. My smaller 2-3 man hub is a 2 person shelter and standing up means hunching over.
The larger 3-4 man is a good 3 person that we can stand up straight. Personally, I'd keep my price in that range , give or take.
Any hub (pop up) pretty much requires 2 to set it up, especially in wind although I've done mine solo.
Mine have a single 2 zipper triangle door. 1 zipper means 1, less thing to malfunction. 2 doors are not necessary.

These days I rock my shappell rover (no longer available ) or the Shappell 1.0, an excellent shanty.
No way it will fit 2 people but its a great all in 1 sled @ $249.00 which has remained stable price .
I'm very mobile with that sled solo. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 23:06:24 (permalink)
Thanks HT, height is important when it comes to being comfortable.  Being able to stand and stretch while staying inside does make for a more pleasant long term experience.  I suppose two doors would be better if interior room is limited, just to make moving in and out a bit easier on the occupants. 

I was just looking at and watching videos of the ESKIMO 3 and it doesn't seem much different than setting up/tearing down a hub style ground blind except I'll be damed if I can ever get that blind back in the bag.  I'm looking at the non-insulated that only weighs 18 pounds.  I have a 30 year old 2-man hut that's not insulated so I don't think that would be a big issue, probably just as clumsy to set up and weighs 40 pounds and it folds up into a suitcase style base that measures 2 foot by 4 foot.  Mice have put a few extra ventilation holes in the walls over the years but the Gorilla Tape is holding up well, even in sub-zero temps.

Got a nice FishUSA gift card for Christmas and ya know how those dam things can burn a hole in your pocket and seeing hows the ice is upon us, wellll the rest is history.  I know we don't get the ice like yinz mupp north but it sure looks like we're getting some ice fishing time this year.

Thanks again for your advice and may the new year bring you and yours good times and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/30 23:19:34 (permalink)
I have a hub like this and I can set it by myself if it is not too windy.
http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/vista-link-6-x-6-hub-2-3-anglers.html
I ask have an older otter flip 2man I got for free, just had to patch it up from mice holes. Does not look pretty, but it functions perfectly. It is heavier, but more mobile and a snap to set up. Both will fish 2. Rule of thumb on hub style  is to take the number of people they say and take away one and that what it will fish comfortably. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Gear review 2017/12/31 13:30:50 (permalink)
My eskimo quickfish 2i is about what you need john. Small enough that its easy to transport and pull and sets up quick and easy. Just get a decent drill and adapter for the ice stakes. If windy put 1 or 2 in before you set up to make it alot easier. It was -3 when i set up and with my lantern and little buddy going my coat was off all morning.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/31 21:19:47 (permalink)
outasync
My eskimo quickfish 2i is about what you need john. Small enough that its easy to transport and pull and sets up quick and easy. Just get a decent drill and adapter for the ice stakes. If windy put 1 or 2 in before you set up to make it alot easier. It was -3 when i set up and with my lantern and little buddy going my coat was off all morning.

I'm liking the looks of the Eskimo 3 but not sure of the insulated as that about doubles the weight. Was wondering about the need for a drill motor to install and remove the anchors.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/31 21:51:53 (permalink)
I was comfortable in my hub today at -3 .  I would say my heater kept it in the high 40s maybe 50 I would  guess. Comfortable with no hat or gloves, but kept my coat on.  It also frosted on the ceiling and rained on me too.  An insulated hub would have been much warmer. Just depends on how cold you go out in and how warm you want to be.  A drill is a must to put the anchors in.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2017/12/31 23:42:01 (permalink)
Right now I am looking at -2.5F. with just a hint of a breeze. Fortunately I'm 'snug as a bug in a rug' sitting in my living room counting the minutes till I light up the new year sky. However, the weather dude is saying to expect more of the same through the coming week and I doubt any new fishing shack will arrive in the very near future. So it looks like any ice sitting will need be done in my trusty 30 year old 2 man uninsulated duct taped shanty (no standing). I can keep warm using a single mantle lantern but do have a propane radiant heater on standby.

Clint I remember a few times, over the years, getting rained on inside the shack. Them was some cold days on the ice, for sure. Thanks for the memories.

Having spoken with Outasync, I shall eagerly await (hopefully in the near future) FishUSA putting the Eskimo 3 on sale.

Gotta git, just enough time to lock and load the launch tubes.

May the new year bring all; good times and tight lines

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 09:33:41 (permalink)
I have 2 hub shelters , a 2-3 man killzone & a 3-4 man XL Killzone. Neither are insulated. I like the height of the XL because usually it gets the most company and people tend to stand up.  As far as insulated , I run a Mr. Buddy Heater . It does well in the 2-3 man , like no jacket on only a sweat shirt. The heater does not keep up enough in the XL in negative temps so we run 2 heaters , lol I don't like being cold when I have the equipment.

I see The eskimo Quick fish -3 is on backorder from Fish USA, I would start looking elsewhere as they usually don't keep a good restock for specialty gear and only go on sale if they have left overs at end of season. While they are a GREAT store, with super fast shipping , I find when that type of stuff is gone, its gone..
This place is near me and is geared towards ice fishers. I know their site says out of stock but they usually have many things in store that's not listed on their site and things in stock that say out of stock, I'd give them a call and see what they got. They probably got the QF-3. I will be in their store on Saturday and can let you know .
https://www.fish307.com/ice-shelters-accessories/

Or try here also.. This is a fantastic Adirondack store and they don't list anything on their site..
funny how those ADK people are outta touch with the www, lol
http://www.crossroadsoutdoors.com/index.asp

Good luck and happy new year . I'm resting the hurting foot so I can post some Lake trout pic's for ya'll this weekend.
Peace & Tuna

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 19:07:47 (permalink)
Ran the first 25 fish through the Lithium ion cordless Rapella knife without a hitch. Worked just as well as the corded without the hassles of the cord. Will post back on battery life towards the end of the season

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 19:36:47 (permalink)
Clint S
Ran the first 25 fish through the Lithium ion cordless Rapella knife without a hitch. Worked just as well as the corded without the hassles of the cord. Will post back on battery life towards the end of the season

I paid $11.00 for the angler knife on clearance so no complaints on their brand as I've put a hose to the electronics and it still starts.
That's my biggest concerns, can it get wet ?

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 19:39:46 (permalink)
Pretty sure this is close to 10 years going

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 20:30:15 (permalink)
HT thanks for the heads-up on the E-3 backorder.  I may have to place a back order on my order if that be the case.  If I buy a fish shelter I gotta use a gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket and it's from FishUSA.   Which is OK cause those guys have a whole lotta other  stuff I can have fun with til next Christmas when I get another gift card for Christmas plus the one I'll be wantin for my birfdey.  I love gift cards for presents so if any yinz are at a lost as to what to get me, just tell FishUSA to ship them gift cards my way!!!

Hope that foot is healing up and ya can get back at it, pedal to the metal.

To all yinz all,  good times and tight lines in the new year. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 20:47:35 (permalink)
That's cool.
I love fish USA gift cards. Mine lasted about 12 hrs. They are my online shop always. Only because I have not made it to their store.
Thanks fish USA

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/01 22:09:14 (permalink)
Clint S

I looked up that knife and got sticker shock.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/02 19:37:42 (permalink)
I got it for x mas so that's the only reason I got it.  Got the base model with only large blade , one battery and charger. I think it was $70 on sale. I have the small blade from my other one and who needs a case. Lets see how it holds up. Can't ever see needing 2 batteries unless I was camping or something   

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/03 19:26:10 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Got a review from a co worker today on the quick fish-3 insulated bought here for his son on Christmas. The review in his words were amazing and awesome. Plenty space , height and quality. They had 4 people in it a few times with 3 standing straight up at no problem. The insulated version was just bought , just because..
Only 1 time out but he felt it was worth the gift of giving.. geesh lucky kid, lol.

If your in need of something now, I'd start shopping but if it's an investment to the future it might pay off waiting.
Ps. Only negative as with any of those hubs no matter what is the bag is always to small

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/03 21:58:43 (permalink)
Ha haa, I hear ya on those darned bags shrinking once an item is removed.

If they haven't tried it, sometimes rolling the hub tent will compact it enough so it fits. But then, you may be packing snow along with the shelter.

I really appreciate you letting me know about the field tested review HT. Very kind of you but let's just keep that our little secrete, I'm going nuts checking inventory every few minutes hoping the shelters dont sell out before they go on sale. Lol.

Screwed up yesterday, FishUSA offered forum users a 10% discount which would have been $19.00 off the price. Stupid me!!!

Thanks again HT.

outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/04 08:52:35 (permalink)
I added a strap to cinch it up about a third of the way from the wider end so i can compress it and it goes in the bag easily. Just remember if your out for a long period its better to just fold it down throw it on your sled and go. Set it up at home to dry amd unfreeze. Youll need a bigger sled too John!
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/04 19:25:55 (permalink)
I like the 12v versions as I like to fillet on the boat sometimes. I have had my current one for 4 years with  issue. My previous one lasted about a decade before it gave up the magic smoke electronic have right before the go kaput. It was just the cords and plugs were a huge pain and got in the way. I hope this lasts as I really like it so far

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/05 18:35:06 (permalink)
3 product gear reviews I recommend.
1.cabelas guidewear gortex ice bibs.
I've had theses since 2009 . They are heavy duty bibs then and still going strong. The knee pads are massive, if I could see , even with glasses, I believe it's 150 gram thinsulation. Maybe more. The outside material has been bullet proof with only wear are on knees but that's no issue at all.
The legs double zip up to the hips.
Only complaints would be weight and to warm which are minor and cost. Mine were on sale at $150 in 2009

Next 2 reviews are frailbill 12 jacket and bibs. Both were bought here at clearance but I'd give them a full price worth the product.
The jacket is going on season 4. I wear that thing everywhere from trout to ice, even snowplowing on atv. Has a TON of great features.
Lastly I got the 12 bibs last spring.
They are much lighter then the other ones above but exactly what I wanted. Something in between. Been wearing them for stripers, ice in minus weather and snowplowing.
Good products at reasonable prices to me

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/07 21:10:27 (permalink)
HT I don't know if you saw the offer to Forum Members which is a 10% discount, then today there is an offer for 10% on any purchase over a set amount so I thought now's the time to buy. 

With gift card in hand along with discount code I rifled through the membership sign in, selected the item I wanted to buy, clicked on the the check out button, applied the discount code and just as I was set to enter my gift card numbers, there before my eyes,  those dreaded words..... "BACK ORDERED".    

Wellllll I am now eagerly awaiting an answer to my email asking for a expected delivery date.    In the mean time, I'm gone huntin!!!

Addendum;   

Wasn't but a couple hours and I got the answer back.....  should be available on the 01/15,  I'm going for it.

Thanks for the input and reviews and to all, 'good times and tight lines'

UPDATE:

It's on it's way.......
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/08 11:54:07

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/08 17:56:57 (permalink)
That's a bummer BTDT. I hate backorder stuff as it leaves you hanging.
You inquired about a shanty. Well we took the 2-3 man killzone out figuring it was only 2 of us and it would be easier to heat.
I'd recommend a 3-4 man size. It was tight in there with 2 of us jigging, gear and cooking. As you can see there is miscellaneous stuff scattered outside.

Ps. I did not put any anchors in as it was no wind.
I have never used or brought a drill for anchors as its just another thing to Cary and trash
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/01/08 18:04:15

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/08 20:08:30 (permalink)
Gotcha HT, and a 3 man it is. Big enough for two people yet easy for this old guy to set up and tear down.

As for the anchors, you saying no need for power driving as they screw in by hand, with ease? I didn't buy the anchor adapter for a drill motor but I been looking for a good buy on a reliable 3/8" drill motor and I would make the adapter.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/08 20:27:49 (permalink)
I won't say with ease but if you angle them so they bite better, it works. :
Note : the HT coated brand seemed to work better then my standard. They are about $5.00 or so for 2 and I have found, keeping some extras is handy. You'll figure out the users and spares.

Another gear review:
Buy, buy any of these you can at a reasonable price. Brand dont matter. This one had a hard liner i took out and used for another purpose. I use them for everything , I mean everything. Always 4 of these in my truck or shanty. I probably have 10 or so around the house

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/08 20:31:52 (permalink)
Forgot.
$6.00 investment. Keeps all my electronics dry .
Nice gasket seal and latch

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/08 21:41:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the info on the anchors. I've wondered about lag screws through fender washers but I definitely would want a power driver.

For storage I've been using totes which allow for stacking smaller units or other items on top. My problem, I take too much stuff.

Next question, I presently use a plastic toboggan that worked well for my old shanty, totes and manual auger. I think Outasync might be correct when he said I would be needing a bigger sled. This year I will have the new hub shanty (I hope), which I do not wish to back pack plus a power auger, purchased last year. What's the feelings on the sleds I see priced at around $50.00.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/01/08 21:43:24

outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Gear review 2018/01/09 09:06:06 (permalink)
Cant go wrong with an otter sled. I haven't put the runners on mine but i hear they are a great help.
I would recommend the power drill ice anchor adapter. The eskimo anchors are great and with the adapter it takes 5 minutes to put all 6 in on a windy day. I use the frabill sit and fish bucket to store my batteries, gps unit, and extra propane tank. The insulated part is great for that. The cold will zap the life from your batteries pretty quick.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to: