Helpful ReplyBow season .... let the fun begin

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 15
Author
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 10:21:55 (permalink)
I’ll be in my recliner this afternoon watching TV .... lol. Thought rain was moving in this morning so blew the morning hunt off .... my bad ... neighbor went but was back home about 9:30 so guess I didn’t miss anything 😜👍... be careful guys

STEVE.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 15:12:39 (permalink)
Went out Friday morning.  Not a deer.  Pulled my one cam and not a deer pic on it on a usually heavy traveled crossing of many trails.  Not a pile of poo to be found.  No rubs, no scrapes, no nada.  Did find three dead doe in the creek not far from my truck though after I took a little walk after my morning sit.  Moved my cam to a diff. spot but I think my prime area got hammered by EHD and it is time to move on and try some different spots.  

And to add insult to injury, had to take my dog to the vet last Thursday afternoon and have her put to sleep.  RIP Zoe....hope your trip across the rainbow bridge was a good one....
My kids (and my wife and I) were a mess.  

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 15:33:45 (permalink)
Sorry for your lost, Eyes. That's the one thing I don't like about having pets, but I still do.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 15:45:10 (permalink)
So sorry to hear about your pup. Dogs are hard to part with because they become such a part of you.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 15:45:10 (permalink)
So sorry to hear about your pup. Dogs are hard to part with because they become such a part of you.

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 15:53:44 (permalink)
Sorry to hear this Eyes , it’s never easy even though it is usually the right thing to do... RIP Zoe ....,

STEVE.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 16:50:48 (permalink)
I'm officially on vacation!!!! Can't wait so excited to hunt all the time lol now if I can choose the right stand to sit in the morning

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 17:23:36 (permalink)
Sorry Eyes it's one of the tougher things to do. Still look at the empty kennel where Bella greeted me daily. I hate to say it but deer are gone in my woods also. No rubs,scrapes,no poo,no tracks. If I do see a deer it's usually a fawn. Again sorry for loss.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 17:45:58 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that eyes. 

My rifle is a black rifle
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 18:40:04 (permalink)
Eyes from me and mine to you and yours, our condolences.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 19:30:22 (permalink)
Sorry for your loss eyes. RIP Zoe...
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 19:33:20 (permalink)
Good luck out there thunderpole. Have to wait till Friday, then my vacation starts. At least the fall weather is finally starting to show up. Hopefully it stays this time
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/23 20:50:26 (permalink)
So it quit raining and I took advantage of the situation to run (well not run but moved really really old guy fast) to the mailbox. Did some thinking during my trip about eyes, tuna and the other guys who have lost a pet, as I watched my 2 Bumpus hounds, run to the end of the 300' drive. What would I do if I lost these two I wondered when I noticed their behavior was now guarded. Both at point as if they are looking at the biggest bird they ever saw. Except it's dark so I know they're smelling and not likely seeing what has their attention. Now at the mailbox, dogs still at attention (only happens when I hold treats) I play the pocket LED light across the road, following the shoulder to my left where two reflectors return my light. Except there is no reflectors in that area only two, very large eyeballs, attached to a very large body. Not a good time to be using a dink light, I'm thinking so I grabbed the mail and, called for the hounds to return to the house. Of course, they didn't and wouldn't. All I need now, is for these two meatheads to see this animal and it's all over but the shouting and possible vet bills. Adding to the drama, the rains came and a once gusty swirling wind has changed to a straight line tree bending blow, right into the nostrils of now snarling Jack and Jerk, the off dogs.

More commands to return to the house fell on deaf ears and now two vehicles are coming down the road adding fear the hounds would dart, onto the road in persuit of this creature on the otherside.

Hoping the drivers would see and slow down, I began waving my poor excuse for a flashlight. Nope, both flew by probably thinking I was a dutchman walking the road but their headlights did reveal, the neighbors black angus calf, feeding on the shoulder of the road.

Last I saw my neighbor, he was chasing the calf back through the wooded area bordering his pasture.

Last I saw of the Bumpus hounds, they were safely nestled in their kennels with visions of doggy biscuits dancing in their heads.

Ya just gotta Luv em.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 09:10:54 (permalink)
Well time to hunt now...going out this afternoon for 1st hunt.
Cams were real slow this year as far as bucks go plenty of does and lil ones around but last 5 days I got some decent bucks on cam at night.
Good Luck everyone ENJOY...WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 09:15:44 (permalink)
Stick a big one WCW. I'm waitin for some wallhanger pics.

Beautiful morning in my piece of the "Pennsylvania Wilds". Cloudy sky's giving way to the sun. Wind SSE at 6.4 with the OAT touching 52° F.

After the rains the past night, I'm thinkin the big boyz should be working overtime, this morning, remarking their turf.

Hunt safely folks and good luck.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/24 09:27:41

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 09:20:10 (permalink)
Thanks fellers for the condolences.  Our other dog, who is only 4, is taking it hard too.  There were buddies and I miss both of them greeting me at the top of the stairs every night when I got home from work or hunting.

Might make it out tomorrow AM if it isn't raining or too windy.  
Kids have a dek hockey game tonight, flag football tomorrow and kids vs parents soccer scrimmage on Thursday evening.  My evenings are booked this week.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 20:32:00 (permalink)
Afternoon hunt produced nothing again ... did see 2 dogs and a white cat though 😜👍... had 2 new scrapes near the stand on the path by my one camera but must have went behind the tree cause nothing on camera and only 15 ft from it .....go figure seems to be the way my season is going hopefully things will pick up.... oh ya windy as all get out too ... wow !! That’s how my afternoon went ... good luck guys

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 20:56:50 (permalink)
If yinz got nothing better to do yinz might find something interesting here.  FAWN PREDATION STUDY.

https://youtu.be/AdhFUxgZk04?t=1

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/24 21:01:59

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/24 22:20:12 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
If yinz got nothing better to do yinz might find something interesting here.  FAWN PREDATION STUDY.

https://youtu.be/AdhFUxgZk04?t=1

interesting ..... thanks BTDT

STEVE.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 09:27:38 (permalink)
Seen 2 bucks yesterday morn scrubs rattled one in then seen a hitlister run out at 4pm heading the wrong way idk if he had a doe or was cruising? Then seen a small buck nudgeing a doe my plans to walk way around to slip in the beds didn't pan out ha it was rough getting up this week is gonna kick my****hunting 9hrs on stand yesterday looking forward to this evening....2 new bucks on that cam since Sunday

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 09:34:52 (permalink)
Finally feels like fall. Can't wait to get out this afternoon
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 17:27:26 (permalink)
Well Crappie hope ya have something to report this evening ..... for me my mind was saying ya can do this but my OLD body was saying are ya NUTS 😜👍.. been a little light drizzle off and on all day so we’ll give it a try tomorrow .. good luck guys !

STEVE.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 20:15:26 (permalink)
Fantastic evening on stand had deer on me from 230-730 6-7 does and another shooter I'm assuming it was 6:40pm 200 yards away and I seen antlers plan is set for morning evening hunt may change I might go after him with the climber undecided yet

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 22:24:01 (permalink)
Just had the hounds out for their nitety nite wee. OAT hanging at 36° F. and the fog is rolling in. My weather dude says to expect 34 for a low with additional showers and maybe even a sss... snnn... ooow.... white stuff tonight!!!

Good luck if yinz make it out in the morning and have a safe hunt.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/25 22:26:02

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/25 23:50:53 (permalink)
Saw a monster on the way home by the game lands close to orangeville. 8 point at least 8 inches wider than his ears on both sides! Not very tall though. Didn't have that rutted up look to him. I got a good look too as he was 3 ft from my hood and walked straight in front of my truck for 3 minutes
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/26 05:39:52 (permalink)
Had my most productive sit of the season. One sub legal buck and 3 doe between 445-530, and another small buck at 615. Was ready to take the one doe at 30yds, but she turned into the brush instead of coming into my shooting lane. Was happy to see some deer moving instead of watching the squirrels for hours again. Getting good now. Good luck out there!
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/26 05:42:16 (permalink)
2 afternoon sits seen a few does and lil 4 pt.
Lots of scrapes and rubs being made and cams have vids of bucks at night.
I like the conditions today heading out for 1st am hunt.
Good Luck to all...WCW
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/26 08:24:04 (permalink)
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” — Robert Burns

I have been patiently awaiting the right time to make my maiden quasi-archery hunt. It was difficult to not get all antsy with seeing does from my patio (I swear one of them stuck their tongue out at me) and just go and try to get one in order to test out the crossbow, but I did it.

Lack of scrapes and buck pics on trail cams, other than the few small residents, told me to bide my time and wait it out.

Finally, on 10/19, the first transient buck showed up on camera. It was a terrible picture because the camera auto focused on a closer licking branch, but it was clear enough that I could tell it was one of the ones I had pics of from last rut that caused me to gush enough about it that my wife bought me the crossbow for Christmas.

I walk this area every day with my Pointers, so the deer are accustomed to human scent (and dog scent), so it was no big deal to keep doing that and look for sign.

On 10/20, the first scrape appeared under a crabapple limb. On 10/21, two more appeared forming a line which put my treehouse right in the middle.

On 10/22, I pulled the camera cards and saw no bucks save of a little spike that would not be legal under the very old rules. Then it rained hard.

I stayed out of the area completely with the plan of being in the tree house well before light on Thursday, 10/26.

As I was getting dressed in the basement, my backpack bumped the crossbow which was setting on a table and sent it crashing to the floor. This was not how I wanted to start the day.

Luckily, my basement has room for a 20 yard range and three bolts into the bag proved the fall had caused no damage or loss of zero.

I made it to the treehouse without the use of light and got set up to watch an area where the camera showed the deer were using a travel route from the neighbor’s still standing sweet corn field, crossing a creek, the stopping 18 yards away at a licking branch.

In the still darn near dark, darn near light, I thought I could see movement at the edge of the corn, but passed it off as wishful thinking. But maybe not. Pics of does making that trek were consistent with what time it was. It didn’t matter, it was too dark anyhow. But the thought was perhaps the transient buck would be on their trail and trying to herd them a bit.

I had not seen my regular does for 2-3 evenings, so something was changing their pattern and I hoped it was a horny buck (pun intended).

As it got light enough to see, I raised the ire of a fox squirrel that wondered what was suddenly occupying his treehouse. It was fun to watch his antics as he tried to get me to move. Finally, frustrated, he scampered away.

As I watched him jump from limb to limb, something caught my eye. Something was not right looking in the corn. I saw it again and realized it was a set of fireplace worthy antlers. I wasn’t sure if it was THE buck, but just from what I saw, it was one I would take without hesitation.

The deer stepped out of the corn and into the high grass which runs along the creek on the neighbor’s side. I still had not seen anything except that glimpse of huge antlers and parts here and there of deer body. At this point, it was still on the neighbor’s side of the creek (he wouldn’t mind if I shot it there, but I would). The last place I saw it was 30 yards.

I took the opportunity while it was hidden to rest the crossbow on the treehouse rail, pointed where the deer would cross the creek and stop before needing to climb a slight bank.

All I needed to do was wait.

It seemed like quite a while, but I am sure it was only a minute or two, and I started to see movement in the high grass.

Then it stopped. I could see, couldn’t see it, but wondered what held it up. Scent? Movement? Deer just being deer?

Suddenly, it whirled around, made two giant, tail wagging leaps and was gone back into the corn from whence it came.

I got a good look at the antlers and it definitely was THE one. As Bill Murray said in “Stripes,” “Then, depression sets in.”

I had no idea what caused it to flee like that. Turn around and walk, sure, but not fly like the wind (which was in my favor).

I caught movement out of the corner of my eye in the corn field. Here was a red pickup truck backing through the rows. It stopped right across from my treehouse and two guys got out and started hacking corn stalks with machetes and tossing them in the bed of the truck, probably for use as Halloween decorations.

It was 7:20. Who gathers corn stalks at that time of the morning?

They never saw me (obviously the buck saw, heard, smelled them) and went about their work for 15 minutes and then left, not knowing what they did.

Bite me, Robert Burns, bite me.

At least I know the buck is in the area and I might get another chance at him in the coming days, but I had visions of the taxidermy man and spending the rest of archery season chasing the Pointers for pheasants.

Oh, the best laid plans.,.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/26 09:35:36 (permalink)
Sounds like an exciting morning. Hope you get another chance at THE one
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/26 10:17:14 (permalink)
It was more depressing than exciting.

On the way out, an autumn olive tree at the edge of the field was just shredded with whole branches tossed 10 yards away from the tree.

I suspect I’ll be out early this afternoon.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 15
Jump to: