Helpful ReplyBow season .... let the fun begin

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 15
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 14:46:22 (permalink)
The guy on the tractor wasn't haulin a platform, was he?

Heee he... ouch! Dam it!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/11 15:45:07

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 14:59:51 (permalink)
Lol ... 😜😜... no but he had a women riding with him on the fender, Showed the picture to my cousin and guess it is their neighbor and his wife , why they were back they riding around I don’t have a clue 😜👍... maybe they have some pot ( ya know them funny cigs ) plants ....oh crap did I just say that .... lol
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/10/11 15:06:08

STEVE.
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 17:16:53 (permalink)
Heard it will mask human scent! Just a rumor.
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/12 05:39:53 (permalink)
Was out Monday and yesterday afternoon and have seen zero out of the stands. Decided to leave a little early yesterday after getting fairly wet. As I was slowly sneaking back down the gas line to my truck I spotted what I thought was a doe 50yds out. Managed to creep my way to within 15yds of where I saw it go into the weeds when out trotted a small 4pt. Went about 25yds out, stopped for a few, then just slowly went about his business not caring I was there. I can't wait for the cooler temps to get here and stay. Saturday looks like another warm one.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/12 05:55:08 (permalink)
Been out 3 times,twice in Ohio and last night in Pa. One small 8pts and a doe and fawn in Ohio. Yesterday I sat from 3:45 till dark,nothing unless your counting a adult beaver.lol There was a big rub about 50 yards away from my spot that was not there a few days ago. This area all new to me, kind of different hunting in the suburbs,high rise buildings and constant highway traffic. lol This is the same woods my son killed his monster 8 pts last year. He was about a hundred yards away,no deer but a small flock of hens and young of the year. It was really hot and muggy last night,can't wait for cooler temps.
post edited by Big Tuna - 2017/10/12 05:56:17
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/12 08:45:24 (permalink)
Geez fella's your 'catching' sure wasn't bountiful but your experience certainly was interesting. Appreciate yinz taking the time to post and thanks for so many memories.

Not much happening at the hunting grounds of BTDT. I've not enjoyed the new "condo" as of yet but plan on back packing today, the 250 yds from my house out to the sight, where I hope to install two field cams. Probably could have placed the cameras during the initial construction phase but I thought it best, to not create tooooo much turmoil, at one time. Yinz know how I am about not creating turmoil. lol....'uch #"@!!😡
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/12 08:48:16

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/12 19:24:04 (permalink)
I hear ya on the highway traffic Tuna. Its not suburbia, but one property I hunt boarders 79. I find it amazing how many cars hit those rumble strips on the side of the road. Its actually odd to me when there is a slight lull in traffic and I can hear the woods come alive.

2 more weeks and I get a vacation from the madness at work. Can't wait to spend a whole week in a tree.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/13 15:09:18 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Copy the seven Crappy_Slayer, go get that critter and whatever ya do, don't look em in the eye. I think the sons-O-guns have the power of hypnotism. lol

As for the scent, it's legal to smell like food, just not be the food.

Can't imagine the story's we be hearing about Doe-n-Heat!!

Good luck!

BTDT, 
Food imitating cover scents or attractants are a no-no with the powers that be.  Me personally, couldn't give a rat's patooty but "the man" may not be so forgiving.  So, iksnay on the [link=mailto:vanilla....capice@]vanilla....capice[/link]!  :-)

I have only been out for two evening sits so far this season.  Too darn busy and when I am not, it is 85 degrees.  I ain't hunting in that nonsense....

Good luck fellers, and don't forget your orange this Saturday.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/13 17:25:13 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
BeenThereDoneThat.
Copy the seven Crappy_Slayer, go get that critter and whatever ya do, don't look em in the eye. I think the sons-O-guns have the power of hypnotism. lol

Good luck!

BTDT, 
Food imitating cover scents or attractants are a no-no with the powers that be.  Me personally, couldn't give a rat's patooty but "the man" may not be so forgiving.  So, iksnay on the [link=mailto:vanilla....capice@]vanilla....capice[/link]!  :-)

I have only been out for two evening sits so far this season.  Too darn busy and when I am not, it is 85 degrees.  I ain't hunting in that nonsense....

Uh-Ohhhh......

If that's true, BTDT gonna be eating some yummy 'nilla flavored crow. Owe big appology too! Is my face red... he hee? ouch (😡.. #@+!!)

Thanks Eyes.👍
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/13 17:28:09

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/13 17:36:02 (permalink)
Just pile up corn and apples and tell the warden your feeding squirrels. Funny in Ohio on private land you can bait. lol  Yet I seldom do. Years ago had some good luck with a product called VK by Dan Fitzgerald. It was a curiosity scent that had vanilla in it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/13 18:57:06 (permalink)
GEEEEEEEZ  I dare anyone to try and find information within the game code, using a smart phone.  It'll be three days before my eyes uncross.  Anyhow, this is all I can find for now so, I will play the safe side and say stay away from using any cover scent that replicates White Tail Deer cuisine.  However, in my own defense, I will just say this subject has been argued before the PGC with food enhanced cover scent being approved for use, at one time. 

(8)  Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue. Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Gonna be a lot of Vanilla flavored cookies, ice cream and, pumpkin pie at BTDT's this coming holiday season. he hee.. ouch

Once again thanks to Eyesandgillz for bringing this to my attention
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/13 18:59:18

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/13 23:21:25 (permalink)
Well another interesting read here guys ... never used vanilla but have a apple tree down the street from me that I’ve picked up a few and through around my hunting area ... but now i’m Not telling ya where I hunt ... lol usually just use some mock scrape spray , also use a dripper with doe -in -heat hanging from a few trees branches ... few other tricks but i’m Not telling 😜👍🍺....do have to agree we need some cooler weather soon though. Crazy warmer weather sucks , then not to mention the crazy rain got honey do things tomorrow so hoping next week .. did get my boat ready for winter storage today so that is done .well good luck if ya are out there tomorrow and like what has already been said .... DON’T FORGET THE ORANGE , ya know overlap with muzzleloader ...

BTDT .... be waiting for my Vanilla Cookies and Pumpkin Pie .... YUMMY
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/10/13 23:25:21

STEVE.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/14 05:39:42 (permalink)
Thursday morning I plan on doing the old man early rifle gun season. I hope we get a hard frost and cooler temps. Archery season slipping away,dam hot weather. 
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/14 19:55:28 (permalink)
Sat the past 2 afternoons in the heat not expecting to see much, and I wasn't disappointed. Saw a total of zero again. Didn't hear a single muzzy blast today either. 3 new scrapes near the stand I sat at today are telling me the little sob's are there, just not during daylight. On the plus side, I took the climber out to a new area yesterday that looks like it should be a great future spot. Nice funnel area that has numerous large oak trees. Problem in that woods this year is that the oaks are not producing many acorns. Oh well, keep on plugging away enjoying all that mother nature has to offer while I'm out there. Good luck out there fellas!
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/15 13:18:15 (permalink)
CRAPPIE .... I hear ya , heat sucks ... went and checked my 2 cameras this morning... nothing on either camera been 5 days since I checked things ... couple pictures on the one middle of the night not sure what set it off birds maybe ?? ... no new scrapes , pretty dead ..fact haven’t been working the 2 older scrapes ... come on cooler weather , all I got to report guys 😡..... good luck !!

STEVE.
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/15 14:34:45 (permalink)
Went Friday and Saturday night. Friday seen 6 deer. Two were bucks one small legal 7 point. Third time I passed him, his friend was a stub of a non legal 6 point. He towered over the 7. My guess 2.5yo standing next to a 1.5 yo. If he makes it he will be real good next year. Those two hit three scrapes in front of me before exiting. That sit I had bucks fighting harder in the woods, next level above sparing. Also other side of me buck grunts. This had the does feeling uneasy.

Saturday was the worst sit I had this season. See one doe very last light, but I had a really cool encounter with a young grey fox. He gave me a couple minute show at 5 yards.
post edited by anzomcik - 2017/10/15 14:35:49
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/15 15:00:45 (permalink)
Hunted Ohio this morning,very windy. Had a mature 7 pts at 16 yards,nice deer just not what I'm looking for. He could have been dead but I'm waiting for a certain deer that was on the camera last year. I may regret this,but that's hunting. Saw 3 fox squirrels and jumped a bunny on the way out.
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2130
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/15 21:01:39 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
BeenThereDoneThat.

Good luck!

BTDT, 

I smell like butterscotch when I hunt. Have a pocket full of butterscotch candy. Chew on em all day in da tree. I cant help that the deer come in on the curiosity. Never did hear about the " no eating candy " rule...jus sayin. Maybe dis helpas......

BH
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 10:39:16 (permalink)
BH thank you very much. Gives me an idea. I'll accidentally on purpose, spill extract on my camo clothing while making my vanilla pumpkin pie, before heading out in the morning.

PRICELESS!!!

Not hearing any gun fire so far but I'm getting great reports of the Amish filling their freezers for winter. Neighbor and his 6 sons have but a couple Doe tags remaining before they turn their thoughts to the buck. Plan is to take the younger sons out letting them take the sub-legal with the older boys going for the 3-up during fire-arms.

Be interesting, after this past Sunday, to hear how the rest of the clan is doing.

As for me I'm pleasantly pleased to see this morning, after the strong winds yesterday and into the night, my highrise camo ground blind remains intact.

Finally did get a few cams in place following construction but as yet, haven't checked for pictures.

Got all excited over the purchase of a SD card reader I bought for my phone. How wonderful being able to view my cam pics on sight. How wonderful that is, if my phone was OTG compatable..... stupid phone!

Stay tuned, better days are coming, so I'm told.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/16 10:45:02

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 14:46:10 (permalink)
Well guess No hunting this afternoon, it has been pouring for last hour or so . Was going , i winterized my boat the other day so today I was moving it from garage to under carport were I keep it in for winters.. so I had all my clothes hanging on side of the boat and I put them on the clothes line which I always do before I hit the woods , sprayed with scent killer stuff . Anyways while putting cover on boat it started pouring and yes I kept messing with the stupid ( as BTDT says) cover. After about 45 minutes of down pours I realized my clothes were still hanging on the line and soaked .... now I have them drying in basement .... oh well crap happens right ... but maybe I’m just getting old .... lol. BTW it’s still raining 😡😡.... ok BTDT let me have it buddy 😜
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/10/16 14:47:16

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 15:09:42 (permalink)
Steve I had no idea it was even raining, hell I was just outside checking my cams and the sun was shining, ummmm still is, in between big fluffy white and gray clouds.

Just do like we did in the good-ole-daz when we went swimmin in the criks,  clamp them wet duds in the car windows and go for a ride.  Be dry in no time.    Ahhh them good ole daz, let the fun begin!!!!

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/16 15:12:46

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 15:29:52 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Steve I had no idea it was even raining, hell I was just outside checking my cams and the sun was shining, ummmm still is, in between big fluffy white and gray clouds.

Just do like we did in the good-ole-daz when we went swimmin in the criks,  clamp them wet duds in the car windows and go for a ride.  Be dry in no time.    Ahhh them good ole daz, let the fun begin!!!!

. Good idea about the clothes there BTDT .... sun is out now but wife just said it is still raining .... I said that’s nice ... what we having for DINNER !!!! Ouch !!! Ok learnt that from you bud ..... lol

STEVE.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 15:49:06 (permalink)
Just some fawns and UFOs when I took a walk after my sat. AM sit.  
While I was at my truck after my hunt, neighbor stopped to chat and said he and one of the other neighbors have found over 20 dead deer in the immediate vicinity since the end of July.   Looks like EHD hit my main area pretty good.  Did see a 6 and 8 pt in the dark driving in trying to cross in front of me, not far from my hunting area.  Not ones I would shoot but promising, I guess.  Have a few new spots closer to home I can check out so maybe this is my sign I should....
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 19:50:49 (permalink)
Tonight's the night, weather dude calling for frost on the pumpkin but only, for a one night stand.

Is the rut up to my little piece of Penn's Woods....... yet?

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 20:14:53 (permalink)
Had a little spike in my apple trees  today--most all day.  
Eating as best as he could with a badly broken lower jaw.
Looks to have possibly healed the way it is all twisted and shortened or he was hungry and just toughing it out.
He will have a tough, if not impossible, time this winter with harder food supplies.
Was having tough enough time trying to eat the apples.
Figure he will stay on them as long as possible.
Looked to have just found them and kept coming back real quick whenever he got spooked off.
Bow tomorrow ??
Would rather have him around and just watch out back there- but not in that kind of shape.
post edited by r3g3 - 2017/10/17 08:15:50
fishin coyote
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 21:00:16 (permalink)
Got out after all the rain this afternoon. Had a nice 8 @ 12yds but couldn’t get in position to draw. The joys of ground hunting, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I saw 4 bucks(2 legal) and a couple of doe.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/16 22:14:02 (permalink)
👍 Eye to eye or nose to nose Yote, just don't get no better than that. Better luck next time. Thanks for the memories.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/17 05:35:12 (permalink)
Another uneventful afternoon in the stand for me. Climbed down just before 7 with enough light to walk out. Was creeping my way down the old logging trail when I thought I heard something. Stop...nothing....few more steps and I hear it again. Look over the large patch of multiflora rose to my right and just on the other side I can see hickory tree getting thrashed. Couldn't make out the rack on him through the brush. Wait...wait...wait hoping he continues down to where my path and his come together and I can get a look at him in the fading light. The beating of the hickory tree finally stops. Was calm for a little bit as I stood there in the pitch black woods. Time to go, so I took 3 more steps and 10 yds away where the 2 paths come together FFFFFFFFF....crash crash crash. Hopefully next time I'll get a look at his headgear. At least it added some excitement to a slow afternoon.

Good luck to those getting out this morning. Nice cold night should have them moving.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/17 08:47:51 (permalink)
A frosty morning in my back yard for sure but no sign, of elusive PA WhiteTailedDeer. I'll keep a watchful vigil hoping that will change. Meanwhile I remain snug-as-a-bug, in my favorite deerstand and enjoy what nature has to offer.
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/17 08:58:14

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/17 14:47:56 (permalink)
Took that spike this morning.
Lower jaw had been broken and fused so his teeth couldn't mesh.
Stuck out bout 2 inches in the front from the upper.
Full stomach though.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 15
Jump to: