Helpful ReplyBow season .... let the fun begin

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15
Author
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 18:41:17 (permalink)
DarDys.... I enjoy the bow hunting more now then rifle season. Have been using crossbow now for about 6 years. Usually turning into a horn hunter..use rifle only if I need meat in rifle season. Like you I have gotten my share of deer and being 66 now sometimes I just enjoy being out in the woods.... good luck this season ๐Ÿ‘....Iโ€™m also out of the hunt right now getting a new scope on my bow today but will be back at it soon

STEVE.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 18:46:17 (permalink)
BTDT .... new scope being mounted today dropped bow off the morning at the local outpost shop , going to sight it in also will be back in woods soon.... youโ€™re making great progress on your project ..... I mean OUR PROJECT ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿบ

STEVE.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 19:10:24 (permalink)
DadDy's,there's nothing like the rut. I kill just about all my Pa. bucks the last week of the season,it even better the following week in Ohio. The week before Thanksgiving has been good for me in Ohio. When I was younger,I swacked plenty of bucks in their bachelor group the first week of the season,but then I made plenty of time for scouting and had little responsibility. lol
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 19:23:03 (permalink)
Dar, 

If you quest is for a better buck, and you have no burning desire to just go hunting, then you have a sound plan to wait till Halloween to hit it hard. Once the switch is flipped, the action can be steady all day long. My best days are usually between the 3rd and 8 of November for buck movement. For the biggest deer, it is tough to beat the last few days of the season. 

My rifle is a black rifle
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 22:42:46 (permalink)
MoPars don't keep us in suspense...... TELL US ABOUT THE NEW SCOPE. ๐Ÿ”ญ?๐Ÿ”ฌ?

Wish I could put a sound recording on the thread. No pics possible, not nearly enough light in the night sky as the geese were returning to the bayou from area fields.

I thought the first wave was noisy, that is until the next gaggle came in for it's landing. Just overwhelming to watch and hear the birds as they splashed down.

Anyway, finished leveling the platform and laying out the decking. Blind and swivel chair install scheduled for tomorrow than stay out of the area, for a few months, to let those darling little devils get use to the new addition, now sitting in their living room.

Stay tuned. ๐ŸŽƒ
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/02 22:44:52

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/02 23:34:24 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
MoPars don't keep us in suspense...... TELL US ABOUT THE NEW SCOPE. ๐Ÿ”ญ?๐Ÿ”ฌ?

I will let ya know as soon as I get bow back , just told them to call me when itโ€™s done , told him what ever it takes just want it to be right ! .... SENECA OUTPOST doing it
post edited by mopars0 - 2017/10/02 23:35:49

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/03 06:38:41 (permalink)
Copy the "Seneca Outpost"...so I do.

I have the same problem plus the "hairs" in the scope super suck. Forget about using the scope in the woods, unless ya got minutes to sight the target, which must have a large orange finger (โ˜) pointing to... "shoot here"

That's the problem, I guess, with buying package deals.

Tha again, those deals do bring together those of us who wait till the last minute, of the third year, before we do something about it.๐Ÿ˜•

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/03 15:17:57 (permalink)
BTDT ... ok got bow back today , just put another TruGlo scope on it, shots good ... the other truglo was good until it wasnโ€™t ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘. Got 6 yrs out of it ...$75 Iโ€™m Happy ... back at it tomorrow morning . Checked cameras today big boy was still on it... with 2 more smaller bucks and a doe and actually in the daylight ... big boy is a night owl though ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿบ

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/03 18:59:24 (permalink)
That certainly is a big boy Steve, and I have a BTDT original. The time on your camera says 3:31 AM so reset the time 12 hours to PM and that stupid deer will think it's AM when it's PM and come out for his photo op. Priceless.... ๐Ÿ‘†I think.

Congrats on your new scope, we'll keep our "fingers crossed" you get to put the "cross hairs" on that big boy. TrueGlow is what I need on my crossbow. One them type that has the fiber optics that uses batteries and cast that green dot onto the target.

On another note, I'm so happy.

please stand-by we are having technical difficulties.

There.... stupid difficulties!๐Ÿ˜ก

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/03 19:05:44

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/04 17:49:15 (permalink)
BTDT ... well 5 doe ...no horns today , daybreak until 11:00 .... didnโ€™t go this afternoon to warm for me ... changing AM to PM hours on my camera might be a good idea buddy ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿบ ...

STEVE.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/06 20:23:30 (permalink)
Dar Dys
Just got back from Salmon River for a few days and saw your fawn post.
Take the Fawn without regret.
The best eating venison you will ever find.
Take the whole back leg and put it in a croc pot.
Cut around the bone top and bottom and use a fillet knife to cut around and pull out the femur.
Even that football shaped piece of back leg muscle thats hard as a rock on a mature buck will tender out nicely on a croc potted fawn.
post edited by r3g3 - 2017/10/06 20:28:47
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 06:57:40 (permalink)
BTDT,your platform looks a little weak to me.lol Looks like you could hold a herd of buffalo on that structure. lol
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 07:13:44 (permalink)
Big Tuna
BTDT,your platform looks a little weak to me.lol Looks like you could hold a herd of buffalo on that structure. lol

Two Amish family's.... and their English van driver.๐Ÿ˜

You know them dutchman when they find a treestand.๐Ÿ˜•

To boot, my platform is constructed from the finest deck scrap wood to be found, right here in NW PennsWoods.๐ŸŽƒ

Good luck out there today fellas.๐Ÿ‘
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/07 07:19:51

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 08:04:09 (permalink)
Busted hump all week at work and took yesterday off. Morning sit produced a 1pt half rack spike that seemed to like giving me broadside looks for about 10 min. No deer seen on the afternoon sit. Slept thru the alarm this morning and its supposed to be hot this afternoon, so I probably won't be out today.

As a side note, this year I decided to pick up some earth cover scent disks to try out. As the name says they smell pretty much like a huge pile of dirt, and its pretty strong. Can't say I put a ton of effort into scent control other than washing my clothes in the dead down wind detergent, and trying not to sweat too much on the way in. Normally I just try to play the wind. Well yesterday that little buck played right along and came in from up wind where I figured he would. Went right across the path I walked in on without showing any alert, but once he got in behind me in line with the wind it was over. Now I've been blown at by deer that have winded me, but this guy blew at me almost a dozen times before he finally took off. After the commotion he caused I didn't really figure I'd see anything else. Maybe it was just my normal scent that threw him into a tizzy, but I don't think ill be using the heavily scented disks anymore. Just seemed like an extreme reaction for the first time trying out the scent disks.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 10:36:07 (permalink)
Oh, I prefer to eat the short snout, blue eyed ones too.

But for me, itโ€™s a little different since I have watched these ones grow up since they were born. Iโ€™m not sure I could kill one.

Now, I donโ€™t โ€œknowโ€ any of the transient bucks, so no issue.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 13:32:08 (permalink)
Them blue eyed little bugger's is just so damed cute. I just can't release, standing at full draw, if I see those big blue eyes looking back at me.๐Ÿ‘€

Crappy_Slayer those disc would have likely worked had they simulated the dirt you were hunting over.

A very wise Hunter told me once-upon-a-time, always remember hunting deer is like walking into your own living room. If a piece of furniture has been added, removed or, relocated you will know it. If a scent from a burning candle or air freshener is in use or been changed, you will know it. Deer know their living room too.

Back in those good old days, unless you wanted to smell like a bottle of deer pee, we made our own cover scents. Clothing hung in the barn, clothing stored in bags with pine branches and yes, with dirt|leaves|etc, from the area we hunted.

But that was merely "masking" (so we thought) and served no purpose to draw the deer to us.

A universal cover scent is that of deer food. One food, it is said, that drives deer crazy is "white acorns". Not always available, for a couple of reasons, but Will "draw" deer when they pick-up the scent.

Store bought scents are available or one can make his own scent, with a couple hand fulls of white acorns.

A close substitution that will make the little rascals take a step in your direction is "Vanilla Extract". (not imitation Vanilla)

Keeping in mind, those darling little cuties know and become weary when something has changed in the living room but who can ignore, the smells coming from the kitchen?

As for those disc that didn't perform as expected, it's still more fun being over the dirt VS under the dirt....10-4?

Be well and Hunt safe.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/07 13:36:13

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 14:30:57 (permalink)
Appreciate the cover scent info BTDT, but ill be staying away from the food scented things so I can avoid being hassled by the man for baiting. The spot I was hunting is a nice oak flat, so the deer tend to show up anyway. Was just trying something to mask my scent some.

Wasn't planning on hunting this afternoon due to the heat, but in my ventures today I came across a 7pt feeding on the side of the dirt road I was driving down, and saw a lone doe in a field shortly after. All of this in the middle of the day. Might just have to sneek out for a few, although I still have reservations about shooting one when its this warm out.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 15:31:39 (permalink)
Copy the seven Crappy_Slayer, go get that critter and whatever ya do, don't look em in the eye. I think the sons-O-guns have the power of hypnotism. lol

As for the scent, it's legal to smell like food, just not be the food.

Can't imagine the story's we be hearing about Doe-n-Heat!!

Good luck!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/07 15:34:36

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 16:17:38 (permalink)
The best excuse or explanation I've heard on those dirt scent is that a young buck will mistake the fresh dirt smell to mean he's entered  a big bucks territory and thinks it's a fresh scape. I've used them in a tote with my hunting stuff between seasons so the clothes don't smell like plastic. My grandfather use to look for fresh deer poo and step in it and rub it on his pant legs and hang it in those little cloth bags his tobacco came in around where he was sitting but that was the old days, you know 30-30 lever action with 3 shells!
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 17:29:02 (permalink)
Good info jigs. I could see how it might be mistaken for a fresh scrape smell. Maybe that little guy thought he was gonna get his azz kicked again seeing as he was already missing one spike ๐Ÿ˜œ
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/07 18:44:33 (permalink)
Jigs,Careful with the old days remarks,I still use a Marlin 30-30 that I only use 3 shells in.I don't think any of the many deer that I got with it knew the difference. lol btw the best theory that I have heard was to think of when you come up to the house at Thanksgiving as you get closer you smell that delicious turkey,then you notice the aroma of fresh coffee,then the pumpkin pie etc.If you can do that, how much better do you think that a wild animal can differentiate between human scent & a cover scent? I have shot almost all of my deer at close range by staying downwind as much as possible,if I can't ,then I change position. I think that also is true when using food scents,I don't think that if a deer smells apples when he knows there is no apple trees for miles around that he will come trotting in drooling. sam
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/08 08:52:06 (permalink)
I know but the old days are my favorite! Didn't have to dress up in a pumpkin suit and if you got a deer, regardless of points or size for that matter, it was something to be proud of! By the way I just sold my 30-30 about three years ago. 
   Someone needs to run out to BTs new condo! I think he fell asleep waiting for the Comcast guy to show up.

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/08 11:20:20 (permalink)
Drew another blank last night. Sigh.........

My rifle is a black rifle
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/08 13:51:20 (permalink)
Walleye jigs
ย 
ย  ย Someone needs to run out to BTs new condo! I think he fell asleep waiting for the Comcast guy to show up

YEAH C'MON ya got BTDT..10-4!!

Just enjoying the game on my new wide screen. How-'bout-er?? ๐ŸŽƒ

Good one Jigs.. ๐Ÿ‘

Attachment(s)

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 07:29:44 (permalink)
Hey! Where'd everybody go? How am I supposed to hunt thru you guys if you leave me hanging? No reports! Wake BT up he'll get this going again. Need my fix!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 09:29:50 (permalink)
Sorry old buddy, but Comcast finally showed up and I've been kicking back taking it easy.

The install was costly, but it only hurts when I laugh!!!

๐Ÿ˜‚..... ๐Ÿ˜ฎUCH!!!
Happy now?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/10/11 09:31:55

anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 09:45:18 (permalink)
I hunted every night from opening Saturday to the next Saturday (minus Sunday) maybe 25-30 hours total. Seen over 40 doe (didn't keep a great count), 6 different bucks, some bucks multiple times. 4 of those bucks were legal and I passed all of them, every buck came into bow range. All were 1.5 YO and decided to take my chances at a better buck with a lot of time left in the season. 

5 of the 7 "good" shooters that i watched this summer are still around regularly (couple times a week on camera). That is above average for the amount of 2.5+ YO bucks to hang out after velvet. So we will see...
Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 11:30:35 (permalink)
Now I'm good for the day! Time for a nap!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 11:33:59 (permalink)
Take a nap... HEYYY JIGS WAKE UP AND PIZS THE WORLDS ON FIRE!!!!

just kidding... he hee, ouch!! Dam it!

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Bow season .... let the fun begin 2017/10/11 11:39:06 (permalink)
Been kinda slow for me only been doing morning hunts so far usually leaving stand around 10:30 , saw a few doe no bucks just looking for a buck so far .. Foggy as hack yesterday morning saw nothing . Checked cameras only had my cousin waving at the camera also a guy on a tractor going down the pipeline path looking at the other camera .... he wasnโ€™t Waving ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘ ... to wet today for me ..havenโ€™t had deer on cameras since last Thursday..oh well we will see !!! Good luck guys

STEVE.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 15
Jump to: