Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/12 19:43:15 (permalink)

LFZ access

As of now there is a fence right to the bridge to access North???? Side of the LFZ . You can no longer access by walking down the stone wall. There should be access Down by Shane' s place to walk around. New owners of the house have posted the property. You can still fish the river there, but will have to walk around and stay down on the PFR

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

50 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 20:32:55 (permalink)
    Clint, despite the pfr map, I have heard the contrary regarding that section of bank having pfr. I'm sure it will get hashed out. Big don who used to own allowed people to access it. But the access was not a public right
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 20:41:16 (permalink)
    Per the DEC tonight at the meeting is where my info came from.   You can access up by Shane's and walk around. They said you need to "stay on the bank'' to access that section to fish.  No more ''hanging out on the rocks.''.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 20:55:14 (permalink)
    that's crazy.. a map I see shows pfr from lot west side of bridge right up through the north bank .. Hanging on the rocks , lol ..  It's getting so screwy with boundary and such, everywhere there why bother.. Once the accident rates go up for trying to access public pfr's, maybe someone will get their head outta the sand.. AKA, nys.. I truly do respect peoples ownership but Unless there are clearly marked boundaries , it's a mess ..  

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 21:03:08 (permalink)
    Access down by Shane's was always there and secured long ago per the DEC because they knew of this. Big Don was just nice and let people access. What do you think is going to happen when some entitled a hole thinks its his right to go in there because he drove 6 hours..........     Maybe they will charge to go in there and to ''hang on the rocks''. LOL

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 21:17:02 (permalink)
    I think it's going to be a mess because for 20 years, people have been allowed to hang out on rocks .

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 21:21:13 (permalink)
    What I'm confused about is you can access above then walk to the bridge along the bank but can't access from the bridge ?

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/12 23:10:19 (permalink)
    I have not physically laid eyes on the fence, but they said it goes from the house , right to the bridge.  According to the tax map they only own a tiny chunck  of the bank right at the bridge corner. The DEC owns the river .
    http://rptsgisweb.oswegocounty.com/default.htm?sbl=08801900010041000000&swis=352000

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 09:49:38 (permalink)
    Here is where I'm confused. The pfr shows both sides of bridge on north bank

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 10:20:24 (permalink)
    The PFR maps are approximations, if you went by the scale you would think you had a huge width, too, but in fact, you only have 35 or so feet from the water.  The posted signs were there last year.  IF NYSDEC never bought the easement for that piece of bank, he is well within his rights to post it.  If people go in there because they feel entitled because of their drive, I am sure an Oswego County Mountie will be happy to issue them a ticket for trespass.  I do know one old timer from New Jersey who will not be happy, as he spent weeks there last year, but maybe he's the one who bought the house.

I have reached out to friends in the agency for clarification, and especially for reassurance on the easements downstream along School House and the wires, as that property is all for sale, but there are easements on all of it.  I am also concerned about the Left bank downstream of the 2a Bridge as the folks who won that have lots of posters, many on the same trees as the PFR signs.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 12:09:41 (permalink)
    That's where the confusion is I think. 35 feet from lets say 1k flow would put you in the guys house. So it would seem that the whole rock pile would be in the PFR. I wonder if it just in fact they want to limit the traffic that is pretty much through their ftont yard.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 12:29:45 (permalink)
    It will make the spey flingers on the left side happy as they will not have to contend with the depth charge fly guys (Oh, I am sorry, none of them ever exceed 1/8 ounce of shot! LOL!) that hover, eagle like, over the holding water.  Probably cut down on window replacement for the homeowner, too! 
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 13:45:55 (permalink)
    I have a serious question.
    Why don't people just use a weighted fly line?

wishin i was fishin
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 13:54:06 (permalink)
    I think people who like to swing flies are more and more getting into sink tips or the Rio Versitips as they get the fly down nicely and put a lot less strain on the caster than shot.  But the folks who are standing on the rocks to fish that part of the zone are basically right on top of the holding water, and are usually fishing nymph or egg baits more or less up and down, casting upstream mending for a dead drift through the holding water, then a short swing as the fly comes to the surface, and the sink tip systems don't cover that as well as a floating line and shot (bobber optional!)  As a person who likes to swing flies I never cared for the water on  the rocks although I did try fishing it a couple of times.  And you can swing flies there, but I always found it more enjoyable to swing them from the other side, the one or two times I could actually get in there!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 13:57:15 (permalink)
    A couple things. I tried before using 1. It's a nightmare to cast, at least for myself. Also in a current it gets a lot of drag.
    Some folks use a weighted tip leader such as T-11 or T-13. Again I didn't have much success with them as they are more suited for swinging the fly, which does work well in fall and spring but not so much a dead drift during winter.

I'm sure there will be a better answer then mine but this is my observation from my experience

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 14:08:06 (permalink)
    I've tried it a few times and had some luck, but never see anyone using them. so, I thought they might be against the regs.

wishin i was fishin
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 14:16:56 (permalink)
    One #7 lead split shot is all that I need in that spot,cast a little up stream and high stick it until line gets downstream,then cast again.But I hardly ever fish there anymore.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 15:00:12 (permalink)
    I don't fish the rocks but use the bridge as access to walk upstream. I have however fished right upstream where the rocks end and you can actually get into the water.
    I was just curious as to how the bridge point would not be considered pfr.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 15:52:35 (permalink)
    As Clint pointed out, he may own right to the water, and when the State was acquiring easements, the former owner(s) may have decided not to sell.  If there is a path available, you should be able to access most of what has been open in the past, just not the straight up and down spots along the rocks and wall.   I've seen situations where it looked like an owner sold all the access rights except where you could access from the road, and there is therefore no access except for the landowner, they always bothered me. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 18:10:40 (permalink)
    It's no worries to me personally. Just trying to figure out what was once is no more. We have had fences go up along bridge access on the mighty hudson tribs but they are always beyond a point from the bridge as that seems eminent domain for the counties. Kinda like owning road frontage until the county or town widens the road 7 feet on each side or a power supply pole goes in .

Again, no worries and I hope the new landowner got river frontage property if NYS failed . Not my choice.
    Oh yea. I know of plenty places in the adks that have pfr but no access points. That's kinda shady and someone's pork fund

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/13 20:22:22 (permalink)
    This could also be a case of someone who didn't understand "Caveat emptor" and bought thinking they could just restrict the access, but in fact the attorney or abstract and title co missed the easement, in which case I know the DEC has some heavy hitter lawyers on staff, who will clarify the issue.  We shall see. 
     It certainly bears watching!  Up to it, bear?  : )

Maybe Chartist bought the house!
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2017/09/13 20:25:50
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 06:47:54 (permalink)
    From what I understood they are well within their right to restrict access, but not keep people off the bank. Will keep all informed when I go by.

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 07:33:10 (permalink)
    Never actually fished there, but always up for watching the circus

wishin i was fishin
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 14:22:11 (permalink)
    From NYSDEC:

"That topic came up at the meeting on Tuesday night.

The parcel that is the former Da-La-Lodge is private property (and always has been) and the new owner has erected a fence to keep people from walking across his lawn. The previous owner allowed people free and open access to the property because it benefitted his business. That is no longer the case. But nothing has changed regarding any easements or public access.

There is a conservation easement along the river on that bank EXCEPT on that property. It runs along the side of his property (next to the old fish cleaning station) and then across the back to the river. Anglers may use that avenue to get to the river (although it is a bit overgrown and needs to be cleaned out by our Operations crew PDQ) or come under the bridge if the flow allows. Anglers may fish on the rocks below the top of the bank, but they cannot be up on the top of the bank or lawn. 

We have an Angler Survey going on with a Technician roaming around constantly, she can and will inform the anglers of the situation at that location."

So my take is there is no street level connectivity, but you walk down the street, walk around the lot, and you could pick your way up the rocks if you wanted to get up there, just not walk on the sidewalk along the house, the wall, or the lawn (And if you lived there, wouldn't you want at least that bit of privacy?).  I've always gone through there to get further upstream so I'll just walk around the lot.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 14:47:17 (permalink)
    I also requested clarification on Conservation easement vs PFR.

DEC responded:
    "There is not a Public Fishing Rights easement on that property either. No easements, none, zippo 
    A conservation easement differs a bit from PFR. One difference is a conservation easement has tax advantages rather than a simple one-time payment as with PFR. Plus a Conservation Easement can be anywhere and any size. While PFR obviously is immediately adjacent to a water body and generally 33 feet inland from the top of the bank. Some of the real old ones from the early 1900’s were 66 feet.

The reason that the rock bank is accessible is because that isn’t included in the Da-La-Lodge land parcel. The road right of way and the Conservation Easement do not meet on the river bank. They meet on the other side of the fish cleaning station where that property ends.

The take home message is that there are no PFR or Conservation easement on that property and never has been and the anglers need to respect that and stay out of his yard."

Please note my error in  saying 37 feet, where there are PFR's they are only really good 33 ft in.  This could be important as the parcels downstream sell and get developed.

post edited by Lucky13 - 2017/09/14 14:50:52
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 17:41:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update. It helps to have a clear understanding of access point and private ownership. If I lived in that spot, I wouldn't expect any privacy to really happen unless you built a tall fence only to get destroyed.

I like the north much better as far as the fishing allows you to walk .
    Thanks again

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/14 19:00:42 (permalink)
    Thanks L that's what I took from the meeting.  It's just to keep everyone off the yard.  The crews won't have to do much but wait until next Saturday and the easement access will be beaten down.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/15 11:35:25 (permalink)
    hot tuna
     If I lived in that spot, I wouldn't expect any privacy to really happen unless you built a tall fence only to get destroyed.

Not sayin' you are wrong, but that us the unfortunate fact that gives Fishheads from all over the stain of undesirability to many of the residents of the north country, and makes posted signs such a hot commodity in all the hardware stores up there.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/15 11:57:16 (permalink)
    Yup, as I said earlier, big don always let people cut through, but the access was technically private property. I'm glad to hear the pfr is defined though. The past few years quote a few rumors were going around saying that there was no pfr on that bank and was still eligible for a court hearing.

I can't tell you how many fish I've battled off of those rocks. For many years you used to be able to make your way under the bridge with a fish and land below. That ended about 12 or so years ago.
    The lie in that spot is not necessarily right against the rocks. One can stand on the bridge in thick of salmon season and see that fish will lie just about anywheres from edge of rocks to about 30+ feet out.
    High stick, dead drift, and swing are all great methods for that spot. You can actually attain all three methods in one drift. I always liked using bigger nymphs and doing a high stick to a dead drift, to finish with a swing.
    That bank used to change every few years or so until they closed off the north west diversion.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    Re: LFZ access 2017/09/15 12:11:48 (permalink)
    Sad but understandable why people deny access.

wishin i was fishin
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: