Helpful ReplySteelhead

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/21 19:47:12 (permalink)
The Great Erie local fly fishermen,no lining or lifting,that's not snagging.lol I still say the local pound the snot out of all Erie fish,from eyes,perch and yes steelhead. How can one consume all that fish? 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/21 20:13:00 (permalink)
They should pound them their local !

They surely ambush those Steelies at Walnut with this low clear water. Looked like a gauntlet of fishermen at the first water flow. Both sides of the creek shoulder to shoulder with a pile of Steelhead in about 3 foot of water. "Like catching fish in a barrel" I mean shooting ! What a show to watch.
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/21 21:38:47 (permalink)
Big Tuna
The Great Erie local fly fishermen,no lining or lifting,that's not snagging.lol I still say the local pound the snot out of all Erie fish,from eyes,perch and yes steelhead. How can one consume all that fish? 

Not big on eating fish. I'm in meadville btw so if you were referring to me I'm not a "local"
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 01:35:23 (permalink)
Not referring to anyone,but fished Erie three days a week for many years and know just how many fish some locals keep. Impossible to eat that many. I know of several locals that got in on the spring/ winter perch bite fishing 5-7 days a week,x 30 perch a day = a pile. Same guy's fishing eyes tell me they kept 200-300 eyes this year and are still crushing them now. I personally could care less what people keep,just don't say it's the Muppers doing the damage. I fish Erie and keep fish,I also spend plenty of money there food,lodging,ice,gas,bait,
tackle and whatever else I need to make a memorable trip. I love fishing Erie and yes I'll keep a legal limit of perch,eyes and steelhead if I choose.If I lived closer and fished as much as some of the locals I doubt if I would keep as many fish as some do. There's been a lot of keeping fish for years and years and the lake and tribs are doing fine. Rope and smoke and get out the grease and fry away. I really don't know what the fuss is about,steelhead the world's most stupid fish. If anybody can catch a pellet head,you can catch a steelhead.I really never thought about any fish being tough to catch. Perch and eye fishing about as easy as it gets. Get a spread of lure out and troll through the pack and drag em in. Get a minnow inches from the bottom and crank them in. Drift the choice bait or fly of the day and fish on. What can one say Erie, a fisherman's paradise it's just the crowd that gets in the way and people that **** about what others do. Same people **** about other but it's ok for them.I guess it's human nature.

PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 02:44:31 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Same people **** about other but it's ok for them.I guess it's human nature.

Right on the head hoss. A whole lot of hippocrisy goes on lol.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 06:27:41 (permalink)
Big Tuna
Not referring to anyone,but fished Erie three days a week for many years and know just how many fish some locals keep. Impossible to eat that many. I know of several locals that got in on the spring/ winter perch bite fishing 5-7 days a week,x 30 perch a day = a pile. Same guy's fishing eyes tell me they kept 200-300 eyes this year and are still crushing them now. I personally could care less what people keep,just don't say it's the Muppers doing the damage. I fish Erie and keep fish,I also spend plenty of money there food,lodging,ice,gas,bait,
tackle and whatever else I need to make a memorable trip. I love fishing Erie and yes I'll keep a legal limit of perch,eyes and steelhead if I choose.If I lived closer and fished as much as some of the locals I doubt if I would keep as many fish as some do. There's been a lot of keeping fish for years and years and the lake and tribs are doing fine. Rope and smoke and get out the grease and fry away. I really don't know what the fuss is about,steelhead the world's most stupid fish. If anybody can catch a pellet head,you can catch a steelhead.I really never thought about any fish being tough to catch. Perch and eye fishing about as easy as it gets. Get a spread of lure out and troll through the pack and drag em in. Get a minnow inches from the bottom and crank them in. Drift the choice bait or fly of the day and fish on. What can one say Erie, a fisherman's paradise it's just the crowd that gets in the way and people that **** about what others do. Same people **** about other but it's ok for them.I guess it's human nature.

They weren't easy to catch last week! Haha
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 07:56:19 (permalink)
If you see someone snagging or anything else they shouldn't be doing, TAKE A PIC!

I took a pic of 3 elite fly fisherman (I flyfish too, but these dudes were pro's with fish on stingers) fishing Crooked Creek nursery waters, after telling them to look at the tree behind them with the no fishing sign. They ignored a older local who was yelling at them, and me. Took a picture of them, told them have fun going to give these to the officers.

Then parked up near 3 cars, 2 from New Jersey and 1 from Massachusetts. Taking the picture scared them and they walked back, took another of them at the cars with the license plate numbers.

Went to Walnut, showed the officer the picture he took down all the info. They actually caught the same guys later that week doing the same thing!

Lets start a Wall-O-Shame! 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 09:02:55 (permalink)

I agree..... some days those dumb fish are very smart . 

Just saying.......Lets face facts when fish congregate or pack up for spawning or feeding they are much easier to catch. Especially in low water and small creeks were they are also seen. Try and catch a Steelhead in a large river or waterway and see how good or how easy it is to catch these dumb fish ?  I laugh when guys call Steelhead a dumb fish because they are easy pickings up on the Erie ditches (and they are), but go ahead down on the Niagara River shores and have at those dumb Steelhead. Different fishing game altogether, some how they're not as dumb or easy!
I never considered any fish dumb or stupid..... just the fact they are "easier to catch" when fishermen take the advantages of natural spawning and small water.

I'm not ashamed to say I've been skunked by (dumb ) fish many a day !....lol
jat1007
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 09:09:33 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
jat1007
can someone explain muphere?
assuming its someone from out of town?

imagine if there was no internet and everyone just stopped reporting about fishing.....

Yinzers from the Burgh....!!!!  Of course WE are the problem, not the poachers, the Russian snaggers who ive witnessed and reported keeping snagged fish.  BTW if YOU SEE IT HAPPENNING REPORT IT!  Complaining on here does nothing.  Same thing with slobs who litter.  If you see something say something.  Or clean it up as you walk back down the creek to your car.  Hopefully the people who post on here are proactive and do something about the problems they see. 

As for reporting your catch on the inturdnet, look no farther than this thread.  Gopros and youtube videos in frog water low clear conditions in a stocked man made fishery....its way beyond just spot burning now.  The "secret" has been ahht for a long time. 

the gopros and you tubers... lol

the facebook pages also   ....... I think there's a Pittsburgh steelhead page ... idk....  theres one down down my way (mercer county) that absolutely ruined and exploited a fishery... I wont name drop em bc then more idiots would show up .... you're right secrets out tho..

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 09:12:54 (permalink)
jat1007
fisherofmen376
jat1007
can someone explain muphere?
assuming its someone from out of town?

imagine if there was no internet and everyone just stopped reporting about fishing.....

Yinzers from the Burgh....!!!!  Of course WE are the problem, not the poachers, the Russian snaggers who ive witnessed and reported keeping snagged fish.  BTW if YOU SEE IT HAPPENNING REPORT IT!  Complaining on here does nothing.  Same thing with slobs who litter.  If you see something say something.  Or clean it up as you walk back down the creek to your car.  Hopefully the people who post on here are proactive and do something about the problems they see. 

As for reporting your catch on the inturdnet, look no farther than this thread.  Gopros and youtube videos in frog water low clear conditions in a stocked man made fishery....its way beyond just spot burning now.  The "secret" has been ahht for a long time. 

the gopros and you tubers... lol

the facebook pages also   ....... I think there's a Pittsburgh steelhead page ... idk....  theres one down down my way (mercer county) that absolutely ruined and exploited a fishery... I wont name drop em bc then more idiots would show up .... you're right secrets out tho..

Erie hasn't been a secret in years... most people are going to ny now. Reason why it seems more crowded is because of all the posted land. Fishermen cannot spread out
Hohbo_
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 10:52:13 (permalink)
All for a Snagger wall of shame? I like that idea! Is it illegal to share pics of license plates??

H3Fisher
If you see someone snagging or anything else they shouldn't be doing, TAKE A PIC!

I took a pic of 3 elite fly fisherman (I flyfish too, but these dudes were pro's with fish on stingers) fishing Crooked Creek nursery waters, after telling them to look at the tree behind them with the no fishing sign. They ignored a older local who was yelling at them, and me. Took a picture of them, told them have fun going to give these to the officers.

Then parked up near 3 cars, 2 from New Jersey and 1 from Massachusetts. Taking the picture scared them and they walked back, took another of them at the cars with the license plate numbers.

Went to Walnut, showed the officer the picture he took down all the info. They actually caught the same guys later that week doing the same thing!

Lets start a Wall-O-Shame! 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 10:53:38 (permalink)
You talkin trash about us youtubers? 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 11:22:30 (permalink)
johnthefisherman

basically

jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 11:24:55 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

I agree..... some days those dumb fish are very smart . 

Just saying.......Lets face facts when fish congregate or pack up for spawning or feeding they are much easier to catch. Especially in low water and small creeks were they are also seen. Try and catch a Steelhead in a large river or waterway and see how good or how easy it is to catch these dumb fish ?  I laugh when guys call Steelhead a dumb fish because they are easy pickings up on the Erie ditches (and they are), but go ahead down on the Niagara River shores and have at those dumb Steelhead. Different fishing game altogether, some how they're not as dumb or easy!
I never considered any fish dumb or stupid..... just the fact they are "easier to catch" when fishermen take the advantages of natural spawning and small water.

I'm not ashamed to say I've been skunked by (dumb ) fish many a day !....lol

think you hit the nail on the head.... any fish is easy to catch when theyre there........

ive struggled many times also.... doesnt help when you get the fly guys who dont know how to fly fish and they just rip and smack their flourescent line all over the water..... i just move on when they start with that crap.

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 11:28:52 (permalink)
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

Basically jealous of how awesome your videos are haha
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 11:56:47 (permalink)
The only difference(s) I can see fishing the Erie tribs today as compared when I fished Walnut. Time, lllllllots of time plus, I haven't been back since my first time.

Doesn't look or sound like anything different except, it "suppose" to be illegal to snag.

Captain there is too stupid fish! I know there is 'cause even I have, sum in the freezer. But keep that under your hat, I don't spot burn.😝

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 12:32:57 (permalink)
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

Insultin a mans videos be worse than insultin his mother. 

Pro Staff:

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 12:39:04 (permalink)
Erie_flyfishing
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

I like to watch fishing youtube videos sometimes.  But not ones that are boring.  With a large family I love and a job I enjoy, I don't get to fish very much anymore.  Johnthefisherman and others who video...you need to make BETTER videos.  Slapping a gopro on your head and talking slowly into the camera as you drive home is not fun to watch.  I'm not attacking you, you seem like a genuinely good duud who loves to fish and you give good advice on this forum.  I enjoy your posts.  My point was that your videos along with my facebook fotos (I'm guilty too) and a million other duuds....we are all at fault.  The secret is ahht.  We are broadcasting to everyone that the fish are here.  I still hope that people will show some restraint and not film and photo the smaller creeks and blow up the many spots that are on private property that owners permit us to fish on. 

As for your vids....you gotta get some edits going, and some good music.  Check out some of Jon B's stuff, or uncut angling and take some cues from them.  They have more expensive equipment but with a little bit of time and effort it can be much more interesting for the viewer.   

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 12:39:55 (permalink)
On a serious note, there most certainly are dumb feesh. Accidentally bounced one of my flies off a fish's back last weekend, and put it right in front of the same feesh the very next cast, only for him to hit it. 

Pro Staff:

jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 13:36:51 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Erie_flyfishing
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

I like to watch fishing youtube videos sometimes.  But not ones that are boring.  With a large family I love and a job I enjoy, I don't get to fish very much anymore.  Johnthefisherman and others who video...you need to make BETTER videos.  Slapping a gopro on your head and talking slowly into the camera as you drive home is not fun to watch.  I'm not attacking you, you seem like a genuinely good duud who loves to fish and you give good advice on this forum.  I enjoy your posts.  My point was that your videos along with my facebook fotos (I'm guilty too) and a million other duuds....we are all at fault.  The secret is ahht.  We are broadcasting to everyone that the fish are here.  I still hope that people will show some restraint and not film and photo the smaller creeks and blow up the many spots that are on private property that owners permit us to fish on. 

As for your vids....you gotta get some edits going, and some good music.  Check out some of Jon B's stuff, or uncut angling and take some cues from them.  They have more expensive equipment but with a little bit of time and effort it can be much more interesting for the viewer.   

We are broadcasting to everyone that the fish are here

RT!!!

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 13:58:09 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Erie_flyfishing
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

You can't fix stupidity . I recently met john on the streams this weekend and he is a good guy . You have no room to say his videos are boring if you clearly watched it.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 13:58:33 (permalink)
What: angRy Steelhead fishermens brawl with hulk hands n yella ropes

When: 9/30 at 5:00 pm.

Where: walnut parking lot (not tryin to spot burn) if you don’t know location look up on google maps or ask gramma.

Hot dogs will be on site. Drinks will be on hand.

Consolation prize for first place will be Quentin Tarantino edits ya go pro vidz to make them GnAR!!

Second and third place get years supply of power baits and a pair of 2nd hand neoprenz

Special guest judge; RIck FLaiR

This is a 4 round points match. Signups close at 3pm.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 14:00:14 (permalink)
fishfashfush

Where: walnut parking lot (not tryin to spot burn) if you don’t know location look up on google maps or ask gramma.

Consolation prize for first place will be Quentin Tarantino edits ya go pro vidz to make them GnAR!!

Second and third place get years supply of power baits and a pair of 2nd hand neoprenz

Your automatically disqualified if you have a GoPro... wouldn't want the Erie secret to ft out
jat1007
Avid Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 14:46:26 (permalink)

broadcast to everyone

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 14:57:00 (permalink)
I took no offense to fisherofmen's comments, and I would like to get some better equipment, and provide more commentary and maybe design an original intro for a more polished product. It's just that I began the channel with a very low budget, and just haven't really got around to upgrading much yet. I have no problem with people offering criticisms and suggestions. 

As for photos/ videos telling people that the fish are here, were going to have to agree to disagree on that. In 2015 I actually stopped mentioning any specific stream names because of these so called "spot burning" complaints were becoming a distraction from the subject matter of the video. But, let's be realistic. A) Every spot in my video from last weekend was a well known community hole on/ accessible by public property B) Go look at the Facebook pages for Poor Richard's, East End Angler, Uncle John's Campground, many of which have thousands and thousands of followers, and see that they have been posting reports about steelhead being in for the past two weeks, many of which have referenced specific spots. Add that to the people who call these places up and ask for reports, and it's a pretty sizable chunk. Goerie.com/ the Erie Times-News post a weekly fishing report that has been discussing steelhead since the beginning of the month. Even the Fish and Boat Commission posts weekly reports on their website, which have discussed steelhead the past two weeks, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are some fish around. None of us owns the water, and it's not like there is some sort of secret steelhead Illuminati.With all this out there, it's a bit ridiculous to act someone sharing a photo of a steelhead on facebook with a few hundred friends, in my case maybe 50 who actually know how to cast a fishing rod, and probably less than 20% of THAT that would have any idea of what's going on if I took them to a trib, is doing serious damage. 
post edited by johnthefisherman - 2017/09/22 15:00:06

Pro Staff:

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 15:01:13 (permalink)
fishfashfush

Give this guy two medals, in case he loses one. 

Pro Staff:

Erie_flyfishing
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 15:51:18 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Erie_flyfishing
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

John will have to bring a drone next time he comes to Erie to be compared to john b . I'm assuming john really doesn't care that his videos aren't as good as a kid that has all day to edit them.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 16:07:10 (permalink)
cant we all get along lol lol             john the fisherman if go pros  facebook  chat snap or whatever its called were around back in the early 90s i would  had epic footage of erie steelhead trips     but  i have tons of photos to look back on  even now with all the technology i dont feel a need to be really  broadcasting to the masses that i can catch fish  by having a you tube channel on erie steelhead    yes i have watched yours and others  you tube vids   ok once in a while  is ok   but   every  trip  and every fish  cmon  we can see you can fish......so you dont need to video every fish ..... ok heres a comparison  we  get on the guy who parades around with a stringer of fish   in some cases thats his way of saying i can fish lol heres proof      ....  but the guy who you tubes  EVEN THOUGH HE RELEASES ALL FISH he catches  is still bragging  jus he doesnt have the physical proof  he has it on film  either way todays age of instant gratification has changed the way we enjoy steelhead 

I have become comfortably numb
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 16:43:12 (permalink)
Erie_flyfishing
fisherofmen376
Erie_flyfishing
jat1007
johnthefisherman

basically

You can't fix stupidity . I recently met john on the streams this weekend and he is a good guy . You have no room to say his videos are boring if you clearly watched it.

Uhhh, actually you are wrong.  I DO have room to say that, BECAUSE I watched it and was less than excited!  As I SAID in my post-John seems like a good duud and his posts are good.  And he took the feedback like a good duud would....you on the other hand seem upset.  No need to be.  I'm glad you met the guy and like him.  My opinion of his videos (or anything else) isn't gonna shatter his world bro.  I ALSO STATED that other ppl have more expensive equipment and that's probably outside of what most folks are gonna commit to.  But anyone with an hour to spare can add a few edits, music, etc.  That's what I suggested.  No need to call anyone stupid and get butt hurt. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Steelhead 2017/09/22 17:02:47 (permalink)
Kokanne, I admire your honesty, and that you were able to be civil, but I do have to offer a few things in my defense. 

- My channel isn't just about steelhead, eventhough those videos are some of my most popular. If you look at all of them, I bass fish in tournaments, ice fish, fly fish for regular trout on larger creeks/ rivers where a majority of the trout are wild, so no, I don't just sit there catching dumb pellethead feesh. 

- I don't film every trip or every fish. In fact, this was the first video I've done since May. I had a stellar bass tournament season where I wish I would've had my camera with me, but what are you going to do. 

- This channel really isn't about "showing off," "proving that I caught fish," or "bragging." Everytime I'm on the water, no matter what I'm fishing for, I see it as an adventure, and I'm always trying to learn a lesson that day. I started my channel with the intent of sharing that with others.

Pro Staff:

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to: