Retrailering vs trailer rebuild

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2017/09/12 09:00:31 (permalink)

Retrailering vs trailer rebuild

So my trailer needs a bunch of TLC.  Thinking that I'll buy a replacement in the spring, but my mechanic buddy was talking about saving a bunch of money by repairing it.  Anyone here gone through retrailering?  Or even a trailer rebuild?  If I buy a new one I don't have to deal with getting the boat off the trailer so I can work on the thing.  I'm not even sure how I'd accomplish that short of taking it to a boat yard that has a sling.  

Work that needs done:  
- replace pretty much all of the non-stainless hardware
- replace 3 damaged/broken rollers
- replace or resurface the bunks
- resurface or rebuild the guides and reinstall them
- address the bent/screwed up hub/axle, possibly replace entire axle
- flatten and weld the driver side axle hanger bracket

The good:
- trailer lights are new LEDs and work 100%
- trailer has a swing arm kit that I installed
- new tires around
- fits the boat!

Not sure which way I'm going to go.  Figured I'd see what people on here have done.  

7 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/12 09:54:03 (permalink)
    Let's see, having followed you through a complete boat rebuild including flotation and flooring, a trailer tongue swing arm install along with new lights and replacement of flat tires.

My recommendation is "Do not" buy anything unassembled!!!😯

Buy the new trailer now and later on, buy a new boat to fit it. PRICELESS!!! 😎
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/09/12 09:58:16

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/12 10:25:28 (permalink)
    Nice.  :)  My dad was like... sell this heap and get a new boat.  My response was that we spent all that time and effort and I LIKE my boat.  It is pert near to perfect, and will be after I dump that big motor into the ocean and watch it sink away.  Really fishes great.  

Gotta find a place to get me a trailer though.  I know there's a place in Ohio if I can get the boat clear out there.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/12 10:44:24 (permalink)
    There you go.... New Trailer first; new zoom zoom motor next and last but not least a new boater moat.

All on easy pay!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/13 07:37:55 (permalink)
    I didn't really follow your rebuild process...how big of a boat & trailer are you talking about?
    Single axle or dual trailer?

We just went through a re-trailer for our Shamrock, it was necessary since the old trailer just didn't fit the boat...a 26' boat doesn't sit well on a roller trailer for a 21' boat!

A new trailer is nice, you can spec it out as you see fit...but along with custom build comes custom cost...

Overhauling your old one gives you the benefit of knowing how it is put together and the quality of the materials you choose to install.
    One tip, if you do rebuild and re-axle...go with the next size larger axle than you think you need. 

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/13 08:04:36 (permalink)
    My boat is a 20' sea nymph (19'6" anyway).  Single axle EZloader galvanized trailer.  You can see it on the first pic here:  https://forums.fishusa.com/Message/576368-Boat-rebuild-Sea-Nymph-19FS-PART-4-Finished/ 

I hauled this boat to the OBX and back and also Delaware Bay this spring.  I think I bent the axle coming through DC on the way home but I'm not 100% certain.  The aftermath of that trip was my blowout coming home from Pymie, and that's when I really noticed trailer woes.  Re-shoeing it is good enough for my 12 mile hauls to Arthur, but I won't be taking it on any trips until I get this worked out.  

My grumman had an all roller trailer... those things are the bee's knees.  Bunks can suck it.  That might be worth considering for ease of use.  
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3097
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/13 09:02:30 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Retrailering vs trailer rebuild 2017/09/13 09:28:38 (permalink)
    Sam the suggestion on the axle is certainly one to think about. Talk to your mechanic buddy about shock absorbers too. Might make a difference on them long trips.

Jump to: