2017/08/23 16:07:38 (permalink)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

16 Replies Related Threads

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 16:11:53 (permalink)
    I'm shocked that this passed. They must of checked someone that has some pull. I've seen a lot of people get written up on Arthur night fishing. 
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3098
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 16:20:28 (permalink)
    Expect more license checks. Instead of using bino's from afar...expect them to pull right up to your starboard.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 17:22:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike but to read the article people have to subscribe to the Tribune.

I trust we will be seeing more enforcement on the water vs biology studies?

I guess they did get my email!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 20:55:31 (permalink)
    BT, clear your cookies then you should be able to read it.

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 20:56:16 (permalink)
    Gotcha Mike thanks.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/23 21:15:51 (permalink)
    Worked Mike. Darned pop-up wouldn't leave me alone.

Very interesting and doesn't surprise me. I can't remember the year the very thing happened to the PGC.

They raided a hunting camp in Clearfield County and busted some very prominent people for illegal procession of game. Took several years of court battles but the PGC lost their power. Unlike the PSP the PGC didn't need a search warrant. Even if they found other violations of the law, evidence could be confiscated and turned over to the local police.

This case with the PFBC will reveal Arway's capability as a Admin.

Truthfully, John would best accept the ruling and use the money he saves on his pet SOS project.

****⬅(dam) I was hoping to see more enforcement on the water. I'd love to see some "doorknobs" busted for their stupid antics while running their boats. Nuts!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post the link.

PS. Hows that boat of yours been handling?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/23 21:17:55

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/24 07:35:01 (permalink)
    I would expect the PFBC to appeal this. There must be lot more to this case then the article states on why they searched the boat. Most WCO's just ask if you have them and occasionally ask to see them(Life jackets).

BT as far as the boat the few times I've been able to get out she's run like a champ.

Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/24 08:20:22 (permalink)
    I am probably in the minority group here (can I say that ?), but I for one disagree with this. I applaud the job our PFBC does in term of the actual enforcers of the law. I can not say I always agree how they spend their money, but the guys out in the field are an outstanding bunch of guys. 

I have always welcomed a boat check, either on the dock or in the water. It is an inconvenience sometimes, but someone has to make sure people are safe, thus helping to keep the innocent people safe (ie....law abiding people). It also helps to keep me up to date on boating laws and regulation, and helps me stay safe. I don't consider them "big brother".....or a violation of my rights. It is a simple 5 minute check. 

I was boarded by the Coast Guard last weekend (Saturday) in Presque Isle bay. We tucked into the bay to get out of the very rough water. I saw the Coast Guard boat roaming around, so I drove to them. I gave them one short blow of the horn, giving them confirmation that I wanted then to board on the Starboard side. I let them know I was leaving it in gear and they could come along side of me. What an awesome bunch of guys (and gals). It took them 10 minutes to do the check, gave me my papers.....and off I went. I am never intimidated or afraid of the people sworn to protect us boaters and fisherman.

This will lead to more injuries, more drownings and more irresponsible boat owners. It also gives people more security to be over the limit with booze, and fish.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/24 08:49:02 (permalink)
    I don't know Mike, I see a big waste of money. I don't see this to be any different than police pulling over a vehicle or the PGC wanting to enter your home to search your freezer.

I think there's a better chance to get a law saying a person gives up certain rights in order to obtain a boating/hunting/fishing license. We sure lost our privacy regarding our SS info.

Commercial drivers also know about giving up certain rights.

I hear ya on getting out in the boat and I sure hope it's because your so busy enjoying other adventures.

I've been looking for something that will be easier handling yet comfortable and as yet, have found a boat worth the money their asking.

Haven't checked the Crestliner Canadian yet but after seeing the prices of some of the other boats I need to get to The Navagation in Conneuate Lake for a look see.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/24 08:52:01

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/25 04:26:09 (permalink)
    BTDT, since when can the PGC enter your home without a warrant?  You mean to tell me your 4th amendment rights cease with game wardens?  I don't think so.                                http://www.princelaw.com/practice-areas/firearms-lawgun-trusts/hunting-fishing-law/                                                                                                                                           http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0181&pn=1851

I read the appellate decision in full and what I gathered is they can no longer stop and board randomly without probable cause, just like they can't do that now while you're driving your car without probable cause.  This new ruling seems to just extend the probable cause rule to boats now too.  My guess is that they will take this to the Supremes based on the fact that safety and DUI checkpoints have been deemed constitutional so expect "checkpoints" at the marinas in the future.  The key here is standing up for your rights, take out that cell phone and record the encounter AND DO NOT STOP, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU (because they can't tell you to stop recording).  Also, if you don't want them on your boat, say "I don't give you permission to board or search".   They may anyway but they better be able to articulate to you a crime you have committed.  Here is the full decision.  http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions/Superior/out/Opinion%20-%20Reversed%20-%2010321625422911549.pdf?cb=1

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/25 06:09:18 (permalink)
    pikepredator2
    BTDT, since when can the PGC enter your home without a warrant?  You mean to tell me your 4th amendment rights cease with game wardens?  I don't think so.                                http://www.princelaw.com/practice-areas/firearms-lawgun-trusts/hunting-fishing-law/                                                                                                                                           [link=http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0181&pn=1851]http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0181&pn=1851[/linklink

Pike take a deeeeeep breath, back-up and regroup.

I believe I said I wasn't sure of the year and continued to talk about the situation that ignited the court hearings that changed the law and took that power away from the PGC. The reason I mentioned the situation was to point out that John Arway would be wasting money trying to fight the supreme court over this case with the PFBC. Money that could and should be used for other projects.

I also pointed out that other evidence of breaking the law found by the PGC at a sight they entered without warrant, could be held and reported to the local authorities for further action.

Up until the time of the law change, the PGC did infact have powers beyond the state police. BECAUSE THEY ARE ENFORCING GAME LAWS!!

I hope you do know the PGC does carry the same power as the PSP.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/25 06:52:23 (permalink)
    PA Game Laws and Enforcement.

For some interesting reading and to recommend having a lawyer who knows his poop in the event a lawyer may be needed.

http://www.pennlago.com/t...conservation-officers/

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/25 14:14:57 (permalink)
    WITHOUT DUE PROCESS OF LAW.  Nice of the PFBC to join the 18th century, even if it took them a little while.  

The PGC has always been fringe law enforcement with crazy unconstitutional powers to search and seize.  Well, always until 7 or 8 years ago.  They used some BS law that added "in pursuit of wildlife violations" wording to allow warrantless searches as decided by, and this is fabulous... them.  They got away with passing this garbage because people are stupid, because stupid people mad about "our deers" are willing to sacrifice liberty to punish "bad people" and because stupid people who trust government (which is redundant) think some of the most important amendments (4th and 5th at the top of the list) are only useful to criminals.
      !!! BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID !!!

I'll be happy to ask the PFBC guys what their reasonable suspicion is before they search my boat.  And when they say "because I want to" or "because you kept a fish" or any other nonsense is given I'll take their badge numbers and report them.  Which probably won't happen because they are too lazy to do their actual job on Arthur and that's pretty much the only place I fish these days.  Expecting law enforcement to respect your rights doesn't make you a bad guy.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/25 19:53:04 (permalink)
    PSSST the PGC can check your boat or person for fishing violation and vice versa.

WAIT...... wait let me get my fingers in my ears 'for you light the night sky.👮🚨

drawde
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/27 23:51:49 (permalink)
    Forget where I saw it, I believe the Post-Gazette,  fined someone for endangering wildlife.  Does setting a hook into a fish and pulling it out of it's habitat considered endangering wildlife?  We all could be fined.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Lake Erie Boaters 2017/08/29 22:06:39 (permalink)
    Down at walnut in the 80's we were safety checked 3 times in one month. I just took my business over to Conneaut, Ohio. Have had my license checked twice out on the Lake, and they wanted to see other items which we had. It wasn't like the deal in Pa. where he dug around looking for ? We hadn't even left the dock for the lake yet. Oh yeah the border patrol checked us twice out on the water also, the second time I asked them if they wanted to trade boats but they let me know how much fuel that thing burned so I changed my mind, pretty sure I made the right choice.  
    post edited by rmcmillen09 - 2017/08/29 22:07:47
    Jump to: