Tips on targeting Steelhead??

Author
Outdoor Conviction
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/15 10:49:07 (permalink)

Tips on targeting Steelhead??

Lookin to head out for some Steel on Sunday if the weather allows. The freezer can't and won't fit any more walleye lol. Anyone have any info that can help? Lookin to head out of North East and do some deep trolling. Any info here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

4 Replies Related Threads

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Tips on targeting Steelhead?? 2017/08/16 11:38:54 (permalink)
    If you're heading out of North East, concentrate on working 100-140 FOW. Fish will be anywhere from 10' below the surface to 10' off the bottom depending on where the food and/or cold water is. Bright colored spoons and stickbaits are what you want to be running the most of. Red and orange are easily my best colors, but I also take them on pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, and silver. I generally avoid copper and gold spoon blanks for chrome, silver is the way to go. Also, try some glowing stuff down deep and UV up high. And keep in mind, these fish aren't timid like Walleye. I've had Steelies eat baits when they were still in my view from the boat, so long leaders and light line are rarely necessary. Good luck!
    bassackwards
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Tips on targeting Steelhead?? 2017/08/17 06:14:21 (permalink)
    I have not been out in a couple weeks, but pretty much would state what Divemaster stated. I was out of NE 2 weeks ago just for a change of pace over the great walleye fishing, and only got 1 in and lost 2. A couple short walleye as well at the top of the mountain (around 50'). The steelie wasn't real big, maybe 20". I didn't see a lot of boat traffic out that way either. 

I keep thinking that as we progress through August the bite will pick up. When I am out of NE I usually run a spoon only program, two riggers with sliders, two dipsys, one lead-core off the chute, and sometimes 1-2 small boards off the front. This puts 8 or 9 spoons out in different areas of the column. I can't tell you how many I have got off the sliders. I have about 150 different spoons, every shape and size.....just keep changing baits and depths until you get them dialed in. Also don't be afraid to run big spinners/flashers, or even a cow-bell with a spin and glow. The Lakers are down there as well if you are hitting bottom in 100+ feet (although, don't get your hopes up).  

Also...pick your speed up. Two reasons, they like faster presentations, and you cover a lot more open water at 3-3.5 over the lake Erie traditional 1.8-2.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Tips on targeting Steelhead?? 2017/08/17 12:01:09 (permalink)
    Greasy Chicken Wing Spoon
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Tips on targeting Steelhead?? 2017/08/17 16:10:58 (permalink)
    Follow brad_porter on facebook

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Jump to: