Block Island trip

Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
2017/08/13 10:29:24 (permalink)

Block Island trip

Fished this past Friday off Block Island with my daughters on the Sakarak and Capt Mitch Chagnon out of Point Judith. The targeted species was sea bass because the striper/fluke fishing has been slow.

Once we started our drifts off the southwest side of the island we had immediate and steady action with both short and keeper size sea bass and Scup (porgy). Some of the scup were the size of a dinner plate. We called it the day once we had our legal limit of sea bass. The bass ranged from the 15" minimum to approximately 23".

After cleaning the fish dockside we said goodbye to the Sakarak as the good captain is selling her and retiring from the charter business. My girls and me have fished with Capt Mitch for nearly 25 years. We have had some memorable trips.

After leaving we drove up to Beantown to see James Taylor & Bonnie Raitt in concert at Fenway park . A nice show and night in Boston.

5 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Block Island trip 2017/08/13 12:31:14 (permalink)
    Quality time with family and friends is always a great time
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Block Island trip 2017/08/15 11:25:39 (permalink)
    Loooonnnnggg ago used to fish the Mijoy out of Point Judith for Cod.
    Never forget my last trip- did more chumming on rough seas than fishing lol.
    Recall it was about 20 or maybe 25 bucks for the day back then.
    They supplied all bait and tackle too.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Block Island trip 2017/08/20 08:23:55 (permalink)
    r3g3- years ago I was up Narragansett on summer vacation and had problems with one of my reels.  I stopped in a local bait shop off RT 108, Capt Andy's (Maridee), to see if he had a quick fix remedy.  I was wearing a NYPD cap that was given to me by a good friend who was on the job in the city.  The oldtimer behind the counter asked if I was a cop.  I told him that I was but not NYPD.  He proceeded to tell me he was a retired New Haven officer who got hurt during the Yale riots in the late 60's.  I made a new friend that day, even got my reel serviced free of charge.  If I'm not mistaken his son still runs the Maridee charter out of Point Judith.  Love the area and the people.       
    post edited by troutbum21 - 2017/08/20 08:45:31
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Block Island trip 2017/08/20 10:18:06 (permalink)
    New Haven riots were before my PD time but I recall them very well.
    Was stationed in Boston for a while when the riots were there.
    Those NH boys were a tight group- worked with some undercover for a time.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Block Island trip 2017/08/20 11:55:49 (permalink)
    I was living in Baltimore during the riots of the sixties. Not much difference between then and now. People being beat up, public property and business set ablaze.

Was working at a ARCO service station the night of when a State Trooper pulled in, got out of his car got in my face and stated "do not put gasoline in anything but passenger vehicles". Returned to his car and down the road he goes.

Maybe 10 minutes later the owner pulled in, we closed early that night and, down the road I go.

Second round of riots I was on a train, with my brother, sisters and mom. We were going from Baltimore to the Burgh. When we would pass through cities the Conductor would have all the shades pulled down and turned the lights off. Darkness made it easier seeing the glow of cities in flames, as we peaked out the windows.

Better memories about eating Rock Fish and Stewed Tomatoes or those delicious Maryland Crabcakes.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/08/20 12:04:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: