Helpful ReplyZACKS

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
  • Reward points: 0
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/02 03:46:18 (permalink)
Kokanee Killer
long time elk creek vet here....... anyway heres the deal   walleye numbers are thru the roof this year....... what that means is simple....there eatin alot of the steel smolt  plus steel being stocked  in fewer numbers = less returns   jus deal with it   n  go fishing and enjoy   ........ hey i said 20 yrs ago  this is not normal and enjoy what we have now........ you cant  have   both   big walleye numbers and big steelhead numbers at the same time   when the walleye numbers were low we had great steel numbers.......now with less steel being stocked plus huge  walleye  numbers now and increased pressure on the streams = fewer fish   is what it is   

Exactly my conclusions too.  The smolts are stocked as a buffet for the walleye.  Maybe they should be stocked earlier, or later, if possible, not when the walleye are sitting at  the mouths of all the creeks waiting to binge eat.  I've also heard that a great early season bass lure is a rainbow trout Rapala.  Wonder why?  Add that to less stocking, and you end up with what we got.  I hope Donny Beaver is losing money on his leased water anyway. 
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/02 05:42:39 (permalink)
Just keep flappin your jaws and posting your vids on the FishErie reports page then b***h about the crowd sizes.  "oooh, look at my video of me and my boys catching 30+ fish on 20 mile", then wonder why the parking lot is full for the next week.  Lake reports are one thing, streams that hold a finite number of fish and fishermen comfortably, is another.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/02 06:32:57 (permalink)
pikepredator2
Just keep flappin your jaws and posting your vids on the FishErie reports page then b***h about the crowd sizes.  "oooh, look at my video of me and my boys catching 30+ fish on 20 mile", then wonder why the parking lot is full for the next week.  Lake reports are one thing, streams that hold a finite number of fish and fishermen comfortably, is another.

Who?! Lol... i love shutting them people up.

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/02 07:59:45 (permalink)
Now wait just one darn minute here

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Trapsh00ter25
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/02 11:53:58 (permalink)
FiveMilePete
ZACKS
Not really new but the last 5-6 years we came out the fishing has gotten worse & worse. heard they do not even stock the mile streams anymore & lots of stories of snagging & netting fish. any clue what going on out there ??? Last year even Elk which was beautiful had  very few fish this was 1st week of november

In the 14 years since I moved back to Erie, last season was the absolute worst for steelhead.   I actually had a few days in October that I was the only one on 20 Mile Creek, because there were so few steelhead in it.  Could be the weather, who knows.  If you are only planning one trip, wait until November, unless you see some solid reports that the streams and steelies are cooperating.

I guess it's different for everyone, we had one of our best seasons ever on 20 mile last year. Every trip made produced fish and the pressure was non existent, we had days we were the only ones as well and had many hookups. Granted the numbers weren't there that used to be there were still decent pools with fish and it was good times.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 11:54:09 (permalink)
I think i've read this argument before....

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 13:00:51 (permalink)
Steelhead fishing in Erie is a perception thing, it seems. 

Take a typical pool with, say, 10 fish. One person may say "no fish," another may say "a few fish," and yet another may say "lots of fish."

Pro Staff:

Trapsh00ter25
New Angler
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 13:11:22 (permalink)
johnthefisherman

Take a typical pool with, say, 10 fish. One person may say "no fish," another may say "a few fish," and yet another may say "lots of fish."

I would agree with that. I've had guys come off of the water as we are going in and tell us tons of fish down there and when you get there it's one long hole with 10-12 in it and all the other stretches are nothing but water and rocks.
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 13:21:26 (permalink)
Trapsh00ter25
johnthefisherman

I would agree with that. I've had guys come off of the water as we are going in and tell us tons of fish down there and when you get there it's one long hole with 10-12 in it and all the other stretches are nothing but water and rocks.

Very true. Also the flip side, I've had reports on here saying "no fish, don't come mup," or "only a few fish, it's not worth it," only to go up and slay them. 

Pro Staff:

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 13:47:25 (permalink)
johnthefisherman
Trapsh00ter25
johnthefisherman

Very true. Also the flip side, I've had reports on here saying "no fish, don't come mup," or "only a few fish, it's not worth it," only to go up and slay them. 

i think most guys are lookin for captn obvious   lots of fish in plain view sticking out like sore thumbs lpl      i can tell you alot of times i have hooked steel in those dark craggy seams in the stream bottoms only to see several more dart about from that little seam   gotta learn to read the water   like anything else keep on learning  NO ONE OF US KNOWS MORE THAN ALL OF US   just when you think you got alot figured out somebody  shows you a new twist i have been humbled many times/// and i hope i showed alot of newbies a good start

I have become comfortably numb
Trapsh00ter25
New Angler
Re: ZACKS 2017/09/05 14:33:40 (permalink)
Kokanee Killer
johnthefisherman
Trapsh00ter25
johnthefisherman

i think most guys are lookin for captn obvious   lots of fish in plain view sticking out like sore thumbs lpl      i can tell you alot of times i have hooked steel in those dark craggy seams in the stream bottoms only to see several more dart about from that little seam   gotta learn to read the water   like anything else keep on learning  NO ONE OF US KNOWS MORE THAN ALL OF US   just when you think you got alot figured out somebody  shows you a new twist i have been humbled many times/// and i hope i showed alot of newbies a good start

The captain obvious approach gets squashed with experience as many of us know that the best conditions are those when the water is up and stained. The clearer and lower it becomes the harder it gets. I LOVE finding a stream in a moderate flow and not being able to see down more than 6" in the water because I know that I have no idea what awaits me under the surface but I know it's gonna be a great day ahead😁
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: