CraneLake

Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/08 11:50:31 (permalink)

CraneLake

Just wondering if anyone has any information on ice fishing Crane Lake.  Is it accessible and has anyone had any luck fishing it this year?  Heard it has lake trout and the DEC has lowered the size to 15", but you can't use live bait.  Any response would be helpful.

Eagle Ed

6 Replies Related Threads

dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/08 13:33:25 (permalink)
    I never heard of it Ed. Where is it located?

Dakota Man
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/08 17:04:29 (permalink)
    Hi Art:

It is supposedly just east of Schroon Lake.  Hope you have been doing OK on the Sacandaga.  I went up to Lake George and fished Huddle Bay this morning with no luck.  Spoke to guy from snow removal group and he said I didn't fish out far enough to find the perch.  He said you need to go out between the island and the shoreline or beyond.  Ice was thick enough, but bubblers on shore put water over the ice and made walking a little tough.
    Will be over your way on Monday to have my taxes done at 11:30am in Johnstown.  Let me know if you are up to ice fishing that day and I will join you in the afternoon.

Ed
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/08 18:10:07 (permalink)
    it's not only the internet buzz that puts pressure on locations but also the press such as NY outdoor news
    can't believe they ran that article
    it used to be a nice place......... and with the buzz , expect the road to be blocked again from the new traffic.
    i'ts a 3 mile hike if that will happen
    post edited by hot tuna - 2008/02/08 18:12:40

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/08 21:21:22 (permalink)
    Rich:

Thanks for the reply on Crane Lake.  3 miles is about our limit for me and Eagle Crg, but we plan on giving it a try.  Glad to hear it is such a nice place.  Hope all is well with you, but doubt many will be bothering us once we get there to ice fish.  Won't have to carry much, as we will be only jigging and taking in our hand auger.  Not too many will hike the three miles in and out just for good ice fishing.

Eagle Ed
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/09 06:11:46 (permalink)
    ed:
    it's a hike brother, and there is plenty of snow >bring shoes
    oh, don't forget about the crossing.
    a sled (snowmobile) is really the way to go. (atv's are not allowed)
                                                                                                      Good luck

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: CraneLake 2008/02/09 06:31:01 (permalink)
    Tuna, I understand where you're coming from. I've spent my life hunting and fishing the Cedar River Flow, Cedar Lakes, Moose River Plains. It's a vast remote wilderness, most remote in the state I would think. My Dad had me hunting & fishing there before the dam at the flow was built. In the late 80's Field & Stream done a story on the big remote Adirondack Bucks found there and the place has never been the same. A place where it was rare to run into another hunter or fisherman now has 40ft motor homes.

Dakota Man
    Jump to: