2008/02/07 18:30:30 (permalink)

NATIVE BROOK TROUT

WHAT/WERE WOULD BE THE BEST WATER?

6 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/02/07 19:15:01 (permalink)
    not trying to be a smart **** but your question is pretty vague so as will be my response:
    what/where ? : waters which hold brookies would be a good start.
    i would and could help more if your really interested but of course i will not give specific locations over a public forum.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/02/07 21:19:34 (permalink)
    I worked in the cafeteria in college. My boss lived on a piece of property with a tiny pond fed by cold water springs. She invited me to fish on it, as long as I returned all fish unharmed. Never having caught a native brookie before, I jumped at the chance. To this day, they were the most beautiful fish I've ever caught. 
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/02/08 10:57:15 (permalink)
    Masterangler:  I'm not sure where you are located, but the New York DEC posts a list on their website of all the ponds that they stock and what species they are stocking.  It is a good starting point to look at that list, find out what ponds are in the vicinity where you would fish, and start there.  While there are some exceptions, you will have to plan on doing some hiking to reach the more productive ponds.  I also check the stocking list 3 or 4 years ago to insure the pond I am looking at holds some bigger fish--particluarly if it was reclaimed.  Be aware that in most of these ponds, using minnows for bait (dead or alive) is prohibited.  It usually takes a considerable amount of time to hike in to a bunch of these ponds & find out what ones are producers and what ones aren't.  They can also be fished out if unscrupulous fisherman catch and keep more than they are supposed to so most Brook Trout fisherman are really closed mouth about their favorite ponds.  That being said, most of the ponds on the stocking list will produce brookies in the early spring--you just have to hit it right.  Its also been my experience that Brook Trout are much better fished near the bottom as opposed to the surface unless there is a hatch on.  Alot of the fun of catching these fish is just getting back in the boonies and enjoying the solitude.  Some of the ponds are really beautiful and the mystique of not knowing what the pond will be like is part of the enjoyment/excitement of the trip.
    BassTrails
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/03/05 21:44:12 (permalink)
    Charlotteville Creek, which is south of Worcester on I-88.  Fish the upper sections, like right in Charlotteville, behind the General Store (if it's still there), and then all stops down stream through South Worcester and all the way to Rte 23.  I haven't fished it in probably 15 years, but that's only because I didn't trout fish much after I bought my bass boat.  Before that, I was down to Charlotteville almost every weekend for several years before that.  I've caught some really nice native brookies there.  Some in the 15" range, which is real nice for the size of the stream where I always fished.

Be sure to walk well up or down stream from typical parking areas.  I often fished waters that were rarely ever touched.

Good Luck if you go.  I doubt you'll be sorry you went.

Hell, after talking about it, maybe I'll have to visit the place for old times sake this Spring

-Scott
    post edited by BassTrails - 2008/03/05 21:48:49
    cuchef
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/03/25 01:09:23 (permalink)
    Great bodies of water in the adirondacks as well as finger lakes area. 

"Cheat me on the price not the product."
    cuchef
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: NATIVE BROOK TROUT 2008/03/25 01:10:00 (permalink)

"Cheat me on the price not the product."
    Jump to: