Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/07 16:46:45 (permalink)

WOOO HOOO!!!

I just got this email attachment from a close friend. Though you guys would like to read it.

"For those of you who have been following the case of Pennsylvania's suit against parties who were claiming ownership of what the Commonwealth has established is a navigable river:

As you may recall, last year around this time the Huntingdon County Court decided strongly in favor of the Commonwealth plaintiffs. Judge Kurtz ruled that the Little Juniata River is navigable-in-fact, and therefore the Commonwealth is the owner of the river bed in trust for the benefit of the public. Consequently, the defendants Donny Beaver, Connie Espy, Spring Ridge Club, Paradise Outfitters, et al., lacked any basis for excluding the public from fishing in these waters, and the Court issued an injunction to that effect.

Since that time, Mr. Beaver and his co-defendants appealed the matter to the PA Commonwealth Court.  They filed their brief in November 2007.  In January, the Commonwealth filed its comprehensive brief in response.  On the day this week that Beaver et al. were to file their reply brief, they informed the other parties that they were instead withdrawing their appeal.  Thus ends this saga, and the Commonwealth remains victorious.

This was a cooperative effort among the PA Dept. of Environmental Protection, the Fish & Boat Commission, and the Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources. Also significantly involved for many years has been Allan Bright, owner of Spruce Creek Outfitters, as well as some stellar witnesses on behalf of the Commonwealth, most notably a professional historian who provided remarkable insight to a fascinating time in our nation's history."

post edited by thedrake - 2008/02/07 16:47:58

60 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 16:53:17 (permalink)

GAME OVER

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 16:58:38 (permalink)
    Now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 17:25:44 (permalink)
    You git him Skip.   The end result probably tears him up inside.  He would have bought all the little J he could if he would have won.  Here's the SRC losing its gem!!!
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/02/07 17:26:11
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 17:34:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

GAME OVER

Yes!!!
    Great news!!!
    One battle left.
    Skip,
    Give me the word.

Chris
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 19:36:52 (permalink)
    i fished his section a couple of weeks ago and it was nice picked up a few nice rainbows lol.. but this makes me wonder .... there are cameras mounted along stream, 2 for sure that i saw. wonder why he went thru the trouble of putting those up when he was just going to withdrawl from the case.. plus it was staked out where the high water mark was or so whoever put them there thinks the high water mark is... i am still unclear on high water mark.. how do you determine that? let alone the ordinary high water mark.... the stakes were in the water too.. so the water must of been up a bit.... i have talked to guys that do hydraulic reports and they said there are different high water marks, 100 year storm, 50 yr storm, 10 yr storm.. do you think the use those as high water marks? record high water? a little help on clearing this up would be nice.. thanks in advance..
    Phish_HBG
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 22:16:07 (permalink)
    I think "high water mark" can be best defined as "bank full". Think of a U-shaped stream channel. The high water mark would be at that tops of the "posts" on the U - where a straight line would create a 90 degree angle:

For example (sorry, I cant get it to line up right):

U

U
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 22:37:35 (permalink)
    Great news ill go down there and catch his trophys...
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/07 23:11:05 (permalink)
    High water mark is not defined.  Just stay in the water and they'll be no problems.  It's not as if the bank there is walker friendly.  Walking the yard with get you a fine.  With all the controversy this case has caused, placing cameras there one could argue it's border line harassment.  Depends on where they are focused. They won't last.  Give it up Beaver!!!! 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 00:23:52 (permalink)
    Maybe he's watching ang hopeful someone won't notice the camera and unzip in front of the camera for a squirt.
    Vouyer .
    I think someone stated a while back if you stay below the place where vegitation starts to grow along the stream you're safe. Sounds good to me.
    I may make a trip up there one day. Maybe wade through amidst a nice Sulpher hatch- if there's one left.

Lyrical
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 09:07:07 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
       There is one other interesting thing that is fact, and has not (to my knowledge) been brought up.  In the spring there used to be many loggers (early 1900's) who floated large rafts of logs down the Little "J" to market them and then came back up by boat or wagon.  If, (and I repeat IF) this is considered commercial use of a navigable river then the high water commercial use line is quite a bit higher than some would have you believe.  But like I said, to my knowledge, this hasn't even been brought up yet.  Not to mention that there used to be a horse/mule path that ran along the river for the tows and that was considered public right of way too.  But I digress.  That is probably for a future argument.
          There is a LOT of useful information in the Archives of the Tyrone Daily Herald.  Or so I've been told. LOL!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 09:49:54 (permalink)
    There's a useful picture in the Altoona Mirror stating one of Beaver's son's is the owner of Spruce Creek Fly Company.  I WISH I would have cut that out!!!!!!!  **** IT!!!!!

I even contacted them about it.   No avail.
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 12:40:39 (permalink)
    silverkype, the cameras that i saw looked like those ones that you could rotate around. if you ever there on is in front of the farm house in the oak or maple tree about 25' up... you mentioned the high water mark not being defined, which is my point exactly, so then how could he stake it out? my next question is if you cross the bridge by sco and walk along the wing wall of the abutment down to the stream do you think they could say anything for that? that wing wall has to be on state r/w.
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 12:52:49 (permalink)
    also if i remember right that tree is right on the bank over hanging the stream a bit... wonder if that tree then is state property. if so what is he doing placing anything on state property..  also not only is there cameras, i was fishing the end of his stretch and there is a little hut up on the hill, not the treestand that is over the field but the one right on the bend, its hard to see.. but guys came out of that and started askin me questions. just regular how you doing catching anything etc.. they did give me any problems but were watching from up there.. like silverkype said stay in the water.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 14:41:38 (permalink)
    The wall along the bridge is not his property on the sco side.  It's the houses right there.  The owner DOES allow access.  Thank him, he's outside a lot when it's warm.  However, I've never used it.  No need for me to stomp on his grass if I can go under the bridge.  I'm not sure about the other side.  Just use the church entrance.

I don't know about the high water mark exactly.  I know people have gotten arrested.  I don't know where they were exactly.  He'll cause a stink no matter what, so everyone should take our advice; stay in the water.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/02/08 14:42:51
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 19:32:54 (permalink)
    Speaking of the Spruce Creek Fly Company, word on the street is they are no longer owned by TCO.  Their website has changed back its original format and does not mention TCO.  Slappy is still associated though.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 19:51:21 (permalink)
    So is TCO in bed with Beaver?

Lyrical
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 22:24:17 (permalink)
    I talk to the guys at TCO State College weekly and I have been assured by them numerous times that they are in no way affiliated with Donnie Beaver.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 22:30:50 (permalink)
    Lawsuit over access to fish Little Juniata River resolved
    Friday, February 08, 2008
    By Deborah Weisberg, Special to the Post-Gazette
    Fishing preserve entrepreneur Donny Beaver has dropped his court case against state agencies, thus closing the book on a lengthy battle over the public's right to fish the Little Juniata River, one of the state's most coveted trout waters. In a letter to Commonwealth Court dated Monday, Mr. Beaver's attorneys indicated that he would drop his challenge to a ruling handed down a year ago by Huntingdon County Common Pleas Judge Stewart Kurtz, stating that the Little Juniata is navigable and open to the public. Mr. Beaver had claimed that a section of the river was private and could be fished only by members of his club. Mr. Beaver's appeal was tentatively scheduled to be heard in April. "This sets precedence on the [Little Juniata]," said Dennis Whitaker of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and lead attorney for the state. "It prevents Beaver from making future legal challenges on the Little J, and discourages anyone else from doing the same thing, since case law is pretty clear that if any part of the river is navigable, the whole river is navigable." Mr. Beaver's attorney, Douglas Y. Christian, did not return phone calls seeking comment. Discontinuing the appeal keeps Judge Kurtz's decision legally binding only on the Little Juniata, according to John D. Echeverria, executive director of the Georgetown Environmental Law and Policy Institute at Georgetown University. "Beaver has prevented the case from turning into legal precedent that would have binding effect across the state," he said, "although it nonetheless represents a persuasive authority with regard to other cases." In 2003, the DEP, the Fish and Boat Commission, the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and Spruce Creek fishing guide Allan Bright sued Mr. Beaver and his Spring Ridge Club for advertising a 1.3-mile section of the river as private, and chasing non-club members from the water. The state won its case in June 2006, by proving that the river was used historically as a public highway. Still unresolved is Mr. Bright's damage claim against Mr. Beaver and the club for lost business, although Mr. Bright's attorney, Stan Stein, said that case will now move forward. "One would have to assume that Beaver is more willing to settle than he would have been before," he said. "Regardless, we are going to pursue Allan's claim for damages." Deborah Weisberg is a freelance writer. First published on February 8, 2008 at 12:00 am

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/08 22:32:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishinpitt

I talk to the guys at TCO State College weekly and I have been assured by them numerous times that they are in no way affiliated with Donnie Beaver.

Thanks-I hope that's the case. There's one of those moving into my back yard. I'm looking forward to it, but will boycott if there is a connection.

Lyrical
    waxmybean
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 07:07:45 (permalink)
    Now what about the Elk amd 20 Mile leases  OH YEA Don;t forget about 6 mile

Rope-em and Smoke-em
    JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 08:13:27 (permalink)
    I have been in the TCO shop in State College, and no one directly admits to being affiliated with Spring Ridge.  I have been in the TCO shop at Spruce Creek, and no one directly admits being affiliated with Spring Ridge.  I suspect they are, and  have been for some time. C'mon, why show up as quick as they did if they didn't sniff $$$ (And it seems like it may have backfired a little bit on t hem....)  Just the same, strike up a conversation about Donny, Spring Ridge, or anything affiliated with those topics, and it sure seems like they want to change the topic.  (If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a............Beaver????)  

All I can think about is how "interesting" this fishing season is going to be on the Little J this year.  As for the cameras, seems to me someone is either trying to gather evidence, or is awfully paranoid...or both. 

Good Luck Everyone!

fishinpitt
    New Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 10:27:00 (permalink)
    JMFLYFISHER,
    You should have proof before you start making remarks rather than just speculating.  Posts like the ones you just made are what cause these nasty rumors.  I know all of the guys very well at TCO State College and they are not the kind to work with Beaver.  As for the other TCO shops I cannot speak for them. 
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 10:29:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

ORIGINAL: fishinpitt

Thanks-I hope that's the case. There's one of those moving into my back yard. I'm looking forward to it, but will boycott if there is a connection.

Give them a chance and make up your own mind about them.  Do not let others taint your views through the many rumors floating around on this site.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 10:43:34 (permalink)
    I did talk to Tony (the owner of all TCO) about it.  I told him that Eric guides for SRC but works for Spruce Creek Fly Co which is affliated with TCO, or was.  Drake, where's that article about slappy????  I sent him the article and Tony said it's wrong.  I told him about the newspaper clipping, he said it's wrong.  He said we are against private water.  I asked why they advertise private water of their own from NY state??  The converison ended there.  I guess all the SRC guys at the expo in New Jersey wearing TCO shirts are wrong too.  Why would someone do that then deny it??  What about lefty doing demos at Spruce Creek Fly Co?  He's a SRC member.  If they were in fact against it, he wouldn't be there.  I knew well in advance SRC was getting 20 mile.  How ?? Spruce Creek Fly Co.  Now how on earth would they know that. 

I could list countless other instances about this as well.  If you want to shop with them, fine.  If you don't, that's fine too. 

Whatever the case, and I did see TCO are not on SCFC website anymore, but TCO Spruce Creek is still on TCO main site.

It's unfortunate, two of their shops are only a few miles from my house, and I could use a new rio line or two.  I'll go out of my way not to.  It's too easy to go to shops that I trust and simply ignor the ones I don't.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2008/02/09 10:45:08
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 11:07:28 (permalink)
    Well I don't know this situation, but from what I've read, it sounds like this Donny Iris Beaver, needs a good smack in his mouth.
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. That is if it didnt.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 15:39:20 (permalink)
    Regardless of the TCO Donny Beaver thing, what you cant deny is that after they approached FFP wanting them to sell the shop to TCO and FFP told them to sh*t and slide that they moved right within a mile of the FFP shop. Thats enough for me to tell them they can bite me.

TCO is quickly becoming the walmart of fly fishing. Guess if you want your flies from Hong Kong you can buy them from TCO. If you prefer to keep your friends in the commerical tying, tell them to take a hike on that one too. Sure you can buy a fly from them for a dollar, its not tied in America, I can promise you that much.

Everyone talks about our economy, our housing market... little stuff like the outsourcing of fly tying adds up. Thats money leaving the country no matter how you slice it.
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 18:27:31 (permalink)
    jlh42581, this is sort of off topic now but i just read your phrase on the bottom.

"The flies used for so discriminating a fish as the trout should, first of all, have the appearance of life."

did you by chance get that from a fly tying book. i have been reading one that preaches "the appearance of life".

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 19:19:39 (permalink)
    I didn't know they were the ones who did that deal. Nice people. The flies- that's crap too.

Lyrical
    fishinpitt
    New Angler
    RE: WOOO HOOO!!! 2008/02/09 19:47:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Regardless of the TCO Donny Beaver thing, what you cant deny is that after they approached FFP wanting them to sell the shop to TCO and FFP told them to sh*t and slide that they moved right within a mile of the FFP shop. Thats enough for me to tell them they can bite me.

TCO is quickly becoming the walmart of fly fishing. Guess if you want your flies from Hong Kong you can buy them from TCO. If you prefer to keep your friends in the commerical tying, tell them to take a hike on that one too. Sure you can buy a fly from them for a dollar, its not tied in America, I can promise you that much.

Everyone talks about our economy, our housing market... little stuff like the outsourcing of fly tying adds up. Thats money leaving the country no matter how you slice it.

JLH,
    I cannot comment on TCO trying to buy out FFP.  This is the first I've heard of that.  However, saying that TCOs flies are tied in Hong Kong or anywhere else outside the country is a lie.  That statement shows how little you know about TCO.  I watch them tie a lot of their flies.  At TCO State College there is a large selection of the truform flies that were designed and invented by the shop manager, Paul Weamer.  Also there flies are not a dollar,haha they are actually quite expensive, more on the range of 2 dollars a fly.  I normally do not buy flies so that does not concern me.  I just wanted to stop another rumor from being spread.  But I will give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe the other TCO shops buy there flies from Hong Kong.  I will not speculate on the other shops though.  Got any proof :-)

-Pat
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: