Arthur

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Arthur 2017/04/06 09:20:28 (permalink)
I posted a pic of one I snagged last year on this board.  It was a pig.  Here you go:  http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/556546-Gizzard-shad-in-Arthur/?high=gizzard+shad 
post edited by ZelieSam - 2017/04/06 09:22:21
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Arthur 2017/04/06 09:24:30 (permalink)
yep those.  dam, i didnt know they got that big.  well, thats what the muskies are getting fat on.
slabfinder
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Arthur 2017/04/24 05:22:32 (permalink)
While fishing shoreline structure my son, my wife and I managed a good time on the lake Sunday, April 23rd. Highlight was hooking into a big pike, but my 6# test was no match. Had him to the boat, as soon as he saw the boat he was gone! 4fow A few bluegill, bucketmouth, and said Pike all on minnows and worms. Still not an aggressive bite more a steady pull.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
Re: Arthur 2017/04/24 09:28:27 (permalink)
Good day considering what ZelieSam noted on the pretty strong cold front moving in (although brought us back to seasonal temps).  Sunday gave them some time to settle into it.  Should heat up this week, literally and figuratively.  Who knows though, the rapid warm up might shock them too?  Don't know until you try. 
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 08:04:19 (permalink)
Will be hitting it hard on Saturday.  Got my new trolling set up and hoping to get lucky dragging some crankbaits and harnesses on the roadbed.  Leaning towards fatheads for walleye and stripers--seems a little early for crawlers.  Any PM's with friendly advice greatly appreciated.

Will be the big guy in the green alumacraft jon.  Give us a wave if you see me!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 10:28:09 (permalink)
Did regulations regarding Walleye fishing on the mighty Lake Arthur change or, will you be practicing C /R?

Good luck Sat. maybe trying my luck on Arthur in a few days.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 10:29:38 (permalink)
Ugh...my enthusiam got the best of me.

Watch out catfish!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 11:06:22 (permalink)
I hear you on the ethusiasim neighbor and you can bet you are not alone.

Truthfully, the way the PBFC is anymore, I didn't know if Walleye regs had changed for Arthur.

Good luck to you on Sat. Catfish to Carp, (and in my case, stupid fish) fishing is fishing and we'll be waiting for a good story when you get back

Maybe see ya on the water someday soon.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2017/04/25 11:09:19

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 11:59:43 (permalink)
I did the same thing before we went on Good Friday.  Was all talking about drift fishing and Pork gave me the no_walleye smackdown.  SIGH.  Not that walleye were in any real danger from us.  We'll be on the lake Friday mid day till dark.  See if we can't bag a couple early season wipers and a cat or two.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 13:40:29 (permalink)
python73
I did the same thing before we went on Good Friday.  Was all talking about drift fishing and Pork gave me the no_walleye smackdown.  SIGH.  Not that walleye were in any real danger from us.  We'll be on the lake Friday mid day till dark.  See if we can't bag a couple early season wipers and a cat or two.  

Guess who did the same thing regarding "Pike"  and to think they are tasty and can be filleted.  Open year round now;  who knew?

Till the next time, tight lines.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 13:56:16 (permalink)
Yeah, the whole closed season for eyes is dumb on lakes with little to no reproduction.  I could definitely see it on the upper Allegheny, Erie or others with good natural reproduction rates, but other waters should be the same as Pymie.  Maybe it would relax some of the pressure from Pymie?  Make it a week after the trout opener, if they think it is going to mess with license sales.  It's not like they are bass, sitting on nests and able to get defensive strikes.  They have no desire to eat while spawning (at least what I have read).  It is just giving a few extra weeks during years like this when it is warm, to get them on the post spawn refill.  By the walleye opener this year, with the warm weather, I'd bet most are out of their post spawn locations and heading towards their summer hangouts.  

I'm lucky to get 2 walleye per year out of Arthur.  I know some guys do much better, but most that I talk to, rarely catch any eyes in Arthur.  Adding 3 weeks to the open season, likely does nothing to the overall population, but gives the average angler a little better chance at 1-2.  I'm sure it will never happen.
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 14:17:38 (permalink)
I agree--the rules do seem awfully arbitrary.

I'm dying to catch a pike (or walleye for that matter) at Arthur.  Something in my southern upbringing seem to preclude me catching either.  It's okay though--plenty of catfish and the occasional wiper are there to be had.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 14:52:53 (permalink)
Caught my first legal 'eye at Arthur last year.  I was very proud of myself.  I used the deadly technique of leaving a fathead out with no weight while I fiddled with my bobber rig and a walleye-tard ate him up.  This sort of thing is why I'm no fishing trainer/guide.  And he was even in season!  Ate his tasty walleyed butt the next day.  :)  

Still though, if it weren't for perch most of our Arthur trips wouldn't be worth talking about.  Bless those hungry yellow bastiches.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 18:40:58 (permalink)
Bastiches....?😝

I'm thinkin' Pymie Walleye regs would be different if Ohio did not own a sliver of the lake.

Rumor has it that some changes might be in the workings for the PA. side. But that's just a rumor.

Sam can't say I'll be at Arthur this Sat. but I am looking forward to trying the lake in the near future.

If I do, at what launch would you be shoving off.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 22:10:56 (permalink)
Decent channel cat bite for my boys and I a couple times in the last week. Just fishing from shore. Really fat fish, guessing they're putting on the pre spawn feed bag.

Talked to a guy launching his boat this evening who said he's been fillin up on slab crappies in the past week or so. Watched to see right where he went but it'd require a heck of a lot of bushwhackin and hiking without a boat 😂
searchn4walleye72
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Arthur 2017/04/25 22:34:49 (permalink)
Im headed to Arthur one night this week,like some pointers I usually fish 528 bridge area.I don't know the lake well is there an area that isbetter this time of year?Also casting nets for bait anyone use them for striper bait catching are the bait fish around all year?plan on putting some hours in from shore wading .any info to help me get to a productive spot would be greatly appreciated. 
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 08:19:34 (permalink)
There are cast net regulations and you need to purchase a permit.  Costs $11ish and you need one per lake you net in.  Bit of a racket but I fish Arthur pretty much exclusively so I just eat the fee each year.  Net can't be bigger than 10' radius and has to be 3/8" mesh.  If you can throw a 12' net you should be comm fishing anyway so that isn't much of an issue.  

Can't help you with spots.  Not my side of the lake and I don't wade.  Wading is what you do to get to shore after your boat sinks.  :)  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 08:32:34 (permalink)
python73

Wading is what you do to get to shore after your boat sinks.  :)  

Or launch a boat at Shenango.😜

Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 09:23:05 (permalink)
searchn4walleye72
Im headed to Arthur one night this week,like some pointers I usually fish 528 bridge area.I don't know the lake well is there an area that isbetter this time of year?Also casting nets for bait anyone use them for striper bait catching are the bait fish around all year?plan on putting some hours in from shore wading .any info to help me get to a productive spot would be greatly appreciated. 

I've been out till dark - like need a headlamp dark - twice in the past week and haven't seen/heard any alewife activity yet where I've been at.  But I would bet there is some, and with the warmup the next couple days, I would imagine netting 'em won't be much of a problem.  Water temps are about right for things to bust loose with alewives and stripers I'd imagine.  

If you're wading, being at the 528 bridge area puts you within hiking and wading distance of some pretty good spots for stripers, panfish, channel cats, pike and probably everything else that you could catch there.  90% of my fishing at Arthur is in that area of the lake, and like you I either wade or fish from shore, although I've found that the other end of the lake is usually better for wiper activity early on.  Being bound to shore or wading for stripers, I often find myself doing a bit of driving most nights I'm there.  Drive to a boat launch/parking area and fish and listen for awhile.  If not much happening after 1/2 hour or so, I move on.  Sometimes I pick the right spot, but usually have to make a couple of moves till I find some good activity.  

I'm far from an expert on Arthur, but in the last 5 years have figured a few things out.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 09:49:29 (permalink)
Best advice, go to O'Donnell's or Roger's Rod & Rifle or other local shop with $30-$40+ ready to spend.  Ask them what the best lures and techniques are for the fish you want to catch.  Buy those lures from them (usually about the same as online or large sporting goods stores) and ask questions.  When is best time to use, what is best way to retrieve, ask for a spot or two that you can wade.  Find out if they have a cast net and tips.  What is best way to fish them, oh you have that size hook/tackle, I WILL BUY FROM YOU.  You'll end up spending maybe 10% more, but end up with a wealth of information for that little extra.  Those guys are there more for a service to us.  With how little profit they make, they are lucky to keep their doors open.  They do it for the love of fishing (which they are all about guide status fishermen on the lake), and helping other anglers.  

I don't mean to be a jerk, and please don't take this as a personal attack.  This is a general statement to anyone new on this thread.  Years of this same question (which I was asking the same when starting to focus on Arthur), then answers, just ends up with more people.  There are about 10 or so of us, that will share good information.  There are about 200 that just lurk and take that information.  Unless you enjoy fishing with 10 other guys, where 1-2 guys would be comfortable fishing.  Usually, when you have 10 other guys, one of them is going to be a jerk, with no fishing etiquette.  Hears you hook up, and thinks fishing in your hip pocket is now just fine, as long as he sparks up small talk...  It is one thing for someone to show up, ask if they can fish 40'-50' down shore, and strike up small talk.  Often, it ends up being pretty fun.  Another when you are fishing in "their spot", and they do their best to annoy you out of it.  I do the majority of my fishing from my boat, so I just motor off, if an idiot shows up.  I know about 100 productive spots on the lake, so not that big of a deal.  Yes, there are just as many idiots on boats, that seem to think anchoring within casting distance is a good idea, or think everyone wants to listen to their radio.  And yes, there are at least 100 productive spots on the lake.  

One of the most annoying, are boaters that insist that the popular shore wading locations, are the only spots that hold fish...  Go up and anchor 20' off of shore, and take up the space that 4-5 guys wading would have.  It's bad, when they are there in the first place.  Even worse, when there are clearly guys wading, and they still pull up!!!  You have a boat, go find another area that guys wading have a hard time getting to!  Granted, if you are fishing from the boat where you have never seen a shore angler, and someone shows up after hiking 2 miles through the forest, sorry bud, I was there first.  But if it is one of the very limited, easy and popular shore access points, those shore anglers have all right to hook a big idiot fish, and pull him in the water.

SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 10:07:28 (permalink)
I agree.  I was guilty of that the first time or two that I fished Arthur because I simply figured that's where the fish were.  Turns out there are good spots for wipers all over the lake.  Shore anglers are awfully limited so I don't feel right anchoring up on top of them.  I have a handful of spots I fish at night--pretty far away from shore anglers unless they have a helicopter.  

Arthur is a challenging lake to fish (in my experience at least).  I hit the bait shops up but that advice only gets you so far--nothing beats time on the lake.  Still took me a few years before I really caught anything. As far as advice?  I'm happy to share what I know (probably little compared to most) with another fisherman putting in his time on the lake.  I'm a lifelong fisherman and we are all in it together.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/26 15:22:27 (permalink)
Pork is still mad because I pulled my pontoon into his wading spot and blasted Bananarama's greatest hits all night.  Let it go man!  :D  

Seriously though, he's spot on about courtesy and the lack thereof.  Shoulder to shoulder is for the birds.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/27 08:34:32 (permalink)
It was making me throw my cast net, like a banana...  That annoys me as much as the fellow angler with lack of courtesy!!!  Find a nice school of alewives, and the net goes flopping out in banana shape, missing all...

In all seriousness though, I am all about sharing info.  There are 20 or so guys on this board that would attest to that.  But I do it on PM, so the masses not willing to join in the discussion can't take it and crowd the rest of us out.  Again, anyone new or relatively new, feel free to PM me.  I'm just trying to keep specific info down.  That question asked, was a potential flood gate opening, and wanted to voice my opinion on it.  Not trying to be a jerk to that poster.  

My info, like many, is not be the best...  But is info that was either shared with me, from either this board, bait shop guys, guys that I met fishing or randomly met.  Or time spent figuring things out (which is about 50% at this point).  It will get you on some fish, and get you a start on this lake.  Which by no means is a world class or even remotely close lake.  It just happens to be a close by lake, that is very family friendly.  If Pymie were closer to me, I wouldn't even fish Arthur.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/27 10:26:55 (permalink)
On that note, I'd say the crappies are better on Shenango.  But that's a long drive for me when I can get in the water reliably at Arthur 30 mins after I decide to leave my house.  The only areas Arthur shines at is channel cats and maybe musky (though that's its own whole deal and I'm no musky guy).  The bass are meh, the panfish are meh, the wipers are meh, and I'm told there are a couple walleye in there.  Destination lake it is not.  But it is very local and has always been solid for the kind of fishing I do.    
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/27 12:01:52 (permalink)
python73
But it is very local and has always been solid for the kind of fishing I do.    

'bout sums it up there Sam.  

My closest options are farm ponds or trout ditches that probably shouldn't have trout anywhere near them, both of which my kids still enjoy.  

But they like catching big fish.  

For now, the good channel cat population scratches the itch for them to catch big fish.  Some years, I get to tangle with a handful of wipers, which are insanely fun fighters.  My youngest is still happy catching a zillion bluegills, and we cut those up and use 'em for cats anyway, and he can do that at Arthur on 1" gulp minnows.  

So from now through the end of the summer, we'll make the 1/2 hour drive to Arthur once or twice a week probably.  Sometimes less, sometimes more.  
searchn4walleye72
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Arthur 2017/04/27 19:29:26 (permalink)
my crappie spots are dead so far at shenango,which I am 5-6 miles from.warming up though. Thank you once again for the insight.One last thing can permit be bought anywhere or is it all online?I do have a few nets to throw

SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/28 08:00:17 (permalink)
Online or snail mail.  Don't think you can buy them retail.
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/28 08:02:26 (permalink)
And of course...thunderstorms!  On my weekend off.  

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/28 09:28:21 (permalink)
S_E_B has you right.  Online only.  You can print the form and send it if you for some reason look around and its 1950 and you don't have a credit card.  But really just buy it online.  

Yeah man, glad I'm sneaking out today.  Should be floating by 1pm.  Going to rain all weekend... stupid weather.  
SpreadEagleBeagle
Avid Angler
Re: Arthur 2017/04/29 14:32:02 (permalink)
How are conditions today? Would love to make it out but weather predictions keep changing. Anybody been on the lake?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to: