Noodle/Fly Rod

Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2672
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/05 22:23:21 (permalink)

Noodle/Fly Rod

I just built a 10'6" st croix wild river noodle blank into a fly rod, same thing Nagy sells in his book, if any of you have any experience/feedback with it please comment on what you have observed and what you did/didn't like about the rod.  I have my own presumptions but i'd just like to find out a more general opinion if anyone has used this setup.  Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noodle/Fly Rod 2008/02/07 10:00:16 (permalink)
    I guess nobody owns the rod.  well i got a chance to take it out a little bit yesterday, not to Erie, but just went to yellow creek to mess around.  The water was rolling pretty good, but maintined a green color.  I figured since the water was up and the temp was warm that some fish would be moving from the club on the top of the stretch, I was right.  I managed to land 2 rainbows on a suede juan worm (my creation) that were nice and round.  even a 14 inch trout put a nice bend in the rod, it felt good though.  It roll casts really good with a nice big loop which is a good thing for casting somtimes cantakerous rigs with weight and a float.  I liked the way the rod was able to handle the high sticking as well.  I was fishing close to the bank so i didnt get a chance to make a really long cast.  I need to hook up with a steelhead to get the true gyst of what the rod is all about, i think it could make my shoulder tired with a whole day of fishing but ill have to see. 
    post edited by Loomis - 2008/02/07 10:01:57
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Noodle/Fly Rod 2008/02/07 13:33:42 (permalink)
    If you built it like a switch rod with an 11" or so fore grip and a rear of 3-5" you wont get tired at all. With the correct reel it should balance well. If you built it like a reg fly rod you will probably not like it that much. Unless your reel balances it. Even if it does balance after a day of overhand casting you will get tired and sore. I just got done adding a rear grip to my buddies 10' Sage FLI and he loves it. If your reel doesnt balance it pull off the fighting butt and jam the correct weight of lead into the back end of the blank. I built a 10'8" 8wt with an 11" fore and a 4 3/8" rear. With my Lamson on it it balances in my hand very well. If you need any help/ideas with balancing it or adding a rear grip let me know.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Noodle/Fly Rod 2008/02/07 14:48:18 (permalink)
    swing.

Its balanced with the reel on it, i just need to drop down a weight in line, im currently using a 7 wt and I should be using a 6, i think its putting excess bend on the tip of the rod.  I dont like the big fighting butt i have one on there thats about 3 inches IMO I think it interferes with casting and Erie streams really dont call for such a huge setup.  Elsewhere like a big river/stream then by all means, but for fishing the east side which i usually do, its overkill.  Ill take into consideration adding the lead if the time arises, but ill have to see.  Thanks for the reply though.

BTW what kind of Lamson reel do you have?? I was looking at the Velocity and liked the design. 
    post edited by Loomis - 2008/02/07 14:50:04
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Noodle/Fly Rod 2008/02/07 18:22:14 (permalink)
    I find myself using 2 hands in casting even when I dont have to. Its all in what you feel comfortable with. I like having the option. The reel I got is the 3.5, in the old style. I like it just fine. Not the best but very far from the worst.
    Jump to: