Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sharpefly
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/05 17:37:57 (permalink)

New reg For Walnut

Just received update from Brook Tolbert that effective  immeadiately Walnut creek above Manchester Bridge is closed from Sept 2 to the first day of trout from 10pm to 5am. You may fish north of the bridge. Elk Creek has the same reg. South of rt 5. North of rt5 is open. All other trib are closed from 10pm to 5am.

37 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 17:41:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Jim. This may be an inconvenience for a few, but will do much to maintain landowner relations there, and elsewhere.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 17:45:11 (permalink)
    hope they have signs - not everybody reads the internet...or at least change it in the regs section.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 18:55:55 (permalink)
    That sounds like a good idea.

pax vobiscum +
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 19:34:15 (permalink)
    I'm not the brightest bunch on the vine.... but what is the reason for this?
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 19:38:52 (permalink)
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 19:48:05 (permalink)
    It states:

"The Executive Director has found that this action is necessary and appropriate to
    conserve and preserve fishing opportunities"

I'm just curious to hear your comments on the rationale behind this new regulation?

I admit that I am still not sure how to respond and how it benefits the fishery according to what is stated above.

SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:05:22 (permalink)
    This is totaly arseinine! NO other way to say it! What will be accomplished? A few poeple fishing after dark and perhaps on some posted land? This says that 99% of law enforcement will be at or near or below the bridge. What happens above if the landowner doesn't call, they could care less about! Ban certain sized hooks or trebbles above a bridge, even law enforcement can have an easier time. This is a true joke and will probably make the ilegals happier! Go back to times when clubs had people on top with ******* and I'm sure things would be different! Catching someone fishing above a bridge should not be a priority in PA!

I know one person who has been pushing for this for many years. He's a good guy (not according to these boards though), but this is wrong! Enjoy and remember that/this means for all!

Smitty
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:08:41 (permalink)
    The reason behind it is to keep fisherman off private land during the hours of 10pm to 5 a.m.   It's the same law that has been/is in place for most of the tribs, before it was from route 5 upstream(south) was closed during those hours, then just changed the regulation to include the land between Manchester bridge and route 5.   There were just too many people stomping around there in the middle of the night shining lights and causing dogs to bark.

post edited by Stillhead - 2008/02/05 20:10:18
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:30:30 (permalink)
    So why not just state the real reasoning for the change in regulations?   Rather than this rambling...
    "The Executive Director has found that this action is necessary and appropriate to
    conserve and preserve fishing opportunities"

SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:30:52 (permalink)
    Well, have to eat crow on this one, went off to quick! I knew people were trying to get something like this passed for years. Knew TR and GR was closed at 10 or so, but never realized about the others above the bridge (or rte 5.) My bad!

I still stand behind, why having "most" officers, if not all then at the access areas at night, which is what you know happens. When I was in the clubs and the times the local WCO's would speak about a bust, they were in camo at the access areas or if not, the bust came from a call, usually from something happening at an access area. Guess they can police an area as much as a regular cop with drugs on the corners?

Not busting on them, but come on! Where they gonna be? Yes, they bust some big deals at the major holes. But thats by the dumb ones! I'm sure more get netted above the bridges than at Elk, Walnut, TR or GF!

Smitty
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:34:42 (permalink)
    Smitty,

It has nothing to do with snaggers, or netters. Law enforcement was getting complaints from landowners about disturbances ( dogs barking, etc. ) due to night fisherman. THEY asked for it, and it was a reasonable request.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:38:42 (permalink)
    Very good move. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner. This may have been prompted by the land owners themselves. For their safety and peace of mind I like it. Wouldn't want people prowling around my property late at night causing my dog to be agitated and upsetting my family.

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:42:58 (permalink)
    Ha that's the best thing i have heard in years. Give the Manchester a break for Christ sakes, their are alot more areas to fish than Walnut anyways. I know for some people they are up in age and have a hard time getting around, they should have exclusive access to the Manchester. after the posted times But for us guys able to walk go explore you just might be surprised whats outside of Walnut ! I fish Walnut maybe 4 times a year anymore and it's not till late season. But that's great news now maybe Art can sleep at night and have his privacy. Plus the guys need to respect his property all he has to do is say no fishing and you'll really be crying. And for those who don't know Art he's the gent that lives across the the hole at the Manchester in the big Grey house right across  the creek. A really nice guy I think we should all say thank you to him for letting all of us fish his property!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/05 20:44:19 (permalink)
    I agree with you 100%, but why not be frank as to why the regulation change is essential?  How is the general angling population supposed to gain trust in their authorities when they just beat around the bush rather than coming right out and telling it the way it is.  Do they take us as fools?  I simply disagree with their "politically correct" approach if you will.

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 10:18:01 (permalink)
    It states that this has been put in place to conserve and preserve fishing opportunities !! 
    Those opportunities mean being alowed to fish on private land. If that makes the land owners happy its a small price to pay for those opportunties. It has nothing to do with the fish its all about working with the land owners!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 10:28:11 (permalink)
    I always believed the best regulation would be close all streams from sunset to sunrise.  Sort of takes all the misgivings about the regulation out of the equation.  I am hoping this will be considered in the future.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 11:35:12 (permalink)
    Grendel,
     what about the guys who night fish to get away from the crowds?I have not fished in the day light for over a year. I find it more peacefull at night. no crowds fish are not spooked.you cant beat the mudhole at night, some of the best fishing around.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 11:49:47 (permalink)
    I understand what you are saying Chasin, and I agree with the benefits of night fishing.  However, if the goal is to protect, enhance, and preserve, I just think it would be best to just keep fishing to daylight hours.  Just an opinion. 

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 12:17:08 (permalink)
    While I agree, simply because that area never gets a rest just think if we banned all night fishing on streams. That TRUELY wild brown Joe H caught back in the day was caught at 2-3am.. that would never have happened. Most people dont believe you can have trout that large in the stream it was caught simply because theyve never seen them in the day.

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 13:03:15 (permalink)
    night fishing can still be done till 10 pm, thats plenty of dark to fish in.  and other places you can still do it all night if you like.  i dont think this is unreasonable. 
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 15:48:17 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good compromise to me. What if the landowners would post it 24/7 instead? Asking for some quiet time after 10P.M. sounds reasonable to me.
    Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 15:51:02 (permalink)
    This is a great thing! Period.  Anything to keep landowners happy in my book is a win for us fishermen!
    Fishchile
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 16:21:10 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good plan to me.  Yep it does limit fishing for some.  I am wondering though how many folks whether it be travelers or locals actually ask land owners to park or use their land to access the water?  How many guys are actually courteous to the land owner?

One of the areas I like to fish on Elk, I have approached a land owner years ago.  He lets me park in his driveway.  He would let most anyone use his land for access all they have to do is ask.  Many a time I see folks just park their car and cross his land like it is public access.

Guys need to smarten up and treat the land owners with some respect or we will end up with a lot less areas with free access.   Take this new Reg as a warning we are headed down that path.
    post edited by Fishchile - 2008/02/06 16:23:21
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 20:34:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Grendel

I always believed the best regulation would be close all streams from sunset to sunrise.  Sort of takes all the misgivings about the regulation out of the equation.  I am hoping this will be considered in the future.

Doc

Agree 100%
    Chris 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 21:08:58 (permalink)
    I would not be in favor of closing Walnut creek from the Manchester bridge to the lake at night.  That area does not impact any landowners and would be easily policed by the Fish Commission.  I personally do not fish at night, but would like to see this area open to those who do like to fish at night.

pax vobiscum +
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 22:20:18 (permalink)
    I think the night fishing laws are now perfect with this recent change. The two areas open to fishing between 10pm and 5 am are on public property, there's no reason to close them off.  I'd be really bumbed if they closed off lower elk and walnut during those hours.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 22:53:26 (permalink)
    What if you were a landowner and wanted to fish your own property at night?

If it really is closed to everyone, it could put a WCO in a bad spot....I know it is a stretch, but picture a landowner fishing after dark, a disgruntled fisherman calling it in and a WCO in the middle.  Don't fine him and keep the property open, but risk problems.  Follow the law, fine him and see the property closed to access?   I wonder if this angle was discussed.
    post edited by MuskyMastr - 2008/02/06 22:56:02

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 23:13:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Grendel yes I can also see the effect. I dont really care if they close it or not,anymore even night time draws a crowd..

I understand what you are saying Chasin, and I agree with the benefits of night fishing.  However, if the goal is to protect, enhance, and preserve, I just think it would be best to just keep fishing to daylight hours.  Just an opinion. 

Doc
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: New reg For Walnut 2008/02/06 23:48:35 (permalink)
    Another law and another group of people sounding like FEMALE DOGS!

I dont know bout where you live but here in Somerset county its dark at 6 at the latest. so from 6-10 thats 4 hours of darkness to fish.

Why cry about the law? i kno if I have to get up at 5am im in bed by 9. my dog barks at the wind so i know what those people can go through.

why fish after 10pm? to get onto land they cant get on during daylight hours. WHY? the land they can fish 24 hours a day holds the same amount of fish and possibly BIGGER fish.

Respect the land owners wishes as well as what the STATE thinks is right. Cuz god forbid someone knockes at your door at 12am thats the same as disturbing those people as well!

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: