Help....

Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2016/12/03 18:00:43 (permalink)

Help....

Hey guys not much of a rifle hunter but had to break it out this year. Tonight 90 yards I took a shot at a buck. Broadside. Shooting a 270. So heads behind tree I put cross hairs behind shoulder and pow i shoot. It bucks hard up in the air spins and goes into the thicket. Sweet dead deer. I walk up... no blood nothing hair no nothing.. ok check my spot where I shot everything is good... So get to talk with some buddies ... they say well a gut shot won't bleed.. my thing is a .270 150gr bullet isn't going to make that deer bleed ? Possible gut shot to you guys? Needle in a hay stack I'm in Anf Marienville but I'm curious to see what opinions everyone has so please chime in I'm pretty confused.... Ed

23 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/03 20:11:58 (permalink)
    If by "bucks" you mean he hunched (arched) his back in the air I'll be willing to bet ....gut shot.

Mark the shot point and start the circle search, good luck finding your buck and lots of luck with the field dressing.

Oh.... no bleeding is not unusual on a gut shot; might even want to look for green bile instead of blood.

As for a 270 150 grain, you'll see what kind of damage it does.... when it hits the gut. Hope such is not the case, for you and the deer.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/03 20:57:50 (permalink)
    Yes back up in air....
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/03 21:02:22 (permalink)
    It's all thickets and pines but I do know the way he was headed. ..
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/03 21:50:14 (permalink)
    Hands and knees. Or very small, slow circles till you find evidence of a hit. Have heard of gut shots getting plugged with fat or stomach contents. Maybe like btdt said, look for green/brown instead of red.

Only deer I've ever killed with a gun that didn't drop where it was or in sight required hands and knees on a solid heart shot with a 30/30

Found a FEW hairs where he stood at the shot. Could follow about 20 yards of where he kicked up some leaves. 45 minutes on hands and knees following what I thought was his escape route finding pin pricks of blood.

Quarter size drops at about 60 yards. More blood at 80. Dead at about 100.

It was a weird one for sure but I was pretty certain I made a good shot and in fact I did.

Maybe you nicked a branch or something was funky about the shot that caused weird bullet penetration but still got a lethal shot. A gut shot will prob still be lethal, but not for a couple hours.

How much did you look already? Or did you just decide right away to go back in the AM?
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/03 22:34:38 (permalink)
    I've seen heart shot deer not bleed a bit. Seems strange but I've seen it happen. Perhaps the bullet didn't pass through? Judging by your description of the scenario I'd venture to guess there is a dead deer nearby.

Just my two cents

PT2
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 05:15:06 (permalink)
    What's up Ed. ^^^^ what they said.  You'll be need to find any water (pond,lake,river,creek ) Thats where you will find the deer.  I gut shot a deer ocne and all I could find was like a green hocker. Found the deer 3 days later in a creek I was lucky tho, She must lasted that long because when dragging out of the creek she wasn't all stiff so when I cut into her she was still really warm inside. So in the freezer she went.  Good luck man HIT THE WATER today
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 09:43:01 (permalink)
    Or you shots underneath it and he jumped at being splattered with dirt. The no hair is an indication of a miss.

Trust me, it just happened to me last evening.

I was sure if a solid hit by the deer's reaction. A search last nigh found no hair, no blood, and no deer. A renewed search this morning again found no hair, no blood, and no deer. But we found where the bullet hit the ground.

I was shooting a .240 Weatherby Magnum with 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Having shot dozens of deer with this combo, when hit there is a lot of hair at the impact site, even if there is little blood.

I shot under one a few years ago and it actually flipped over backwards at the shot. There was snow and there was no hair, no blood, but a hole in the ground.

I hope yours was as righteous a miss as mine turned out to be.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 10:01:37 (permalink)
    First- be darned sure you are starting to look where the deer actually was when ya shot at it.
    Go back to where ya were when ya shot and relive it--then take exact note of where the deer was and where he went after the shot.
    Lack of hair or blood often means little -initially.
    Have had some high lung hits that left no blood ( and not enough hair to notice) for  quite some distance. If the deer ran after the hit it may be some yards before he slowed and ( especially with a high hit) blood starts to show.
    Hopefully ya can still see some running tracks in the leaves to follow. Its when he slows that it gets tough.
    A friend following up on a shot went about 60 yards and lost the track in the brush before stumbling upon ONE drop of blood many yards later while swinging back and forth on the general line.
    (Remember they don't run off in straight lines so the farther out ya get the more likely your in the wrong area).
    Shortly thereafter he came upon a very dead lung hit buck.
    Sounds  a lot like Dar said but ya always gotta follow up- even for a day or so- till ya answer the questions.
    Good luck.
    Have shot a number of them and every one that reared up was heart hit or the shot went low. A hunched up back can mean many different scenarios.

PS- I am 69 and have shot a deer or two ( or more) most every year since my late teens-and I firmly believe in a heavy bullet so as to have an exit wound to double the chance  external bleeding. Double is a big deal IMHO.
    Yes, have used the light shells and they can be devastating- Butt- I want an exit wound for a blood trail. Personally use a 180 soft point in my single shot Ruger #1.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/12/04 10:32:09
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 10:34:46 (permalink)
    Always mark the spot of impact with a high visible marker such as a old hunting vest as high as you can. Mark each spot thought to be made by your game thereafter.

You need reference points Ed to make a thorough search. You are wasting your valuable time if your searching in hope of getting lucky.

Keep in mind, the deer may not have been dead when you conducted your initial search and you caused it to run further away.

Hope you find him or figure out you missed.

FYI... On one search we marked the initial spot with a hunting coat then laid a trial of "bread crumbs" hanging ribbons of toilet paper in the underbrush.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 15:10:31 (permalink)
    Update. Shot the gun 4" high after I just sighTed it in a week ago... now I'm thinking ok high lungs... looked all morning so sign.. headed back tomorrow with 2 guys to hunt and look. Not convinced i missed at all... I hit the pines hard today I thought he would of been right there...
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 15:27:38 (permalink)
    I'd agree,without hair I'd say you shot under it and a miss more than likely. I shot a doe about 6 years ago with a 270 130 gr nolser partition  federal bullet. Double lunged her at a little over  a hundred yards,there was snow on the ground. There was a pile of hair at impact area. I proceeded to trail her about 60 yards without one drop of blood,then there was blood every where and she laid about 10-15 yards farther. Go figure did the bullet malfunction,did fat seal the hole,don't know,there usually and easy blood trail or down within 30-40 yards with that gun.
    outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 16:02:19 (permalink)
    Several years ago my dad had a doe at 20 yards broadside. At the shot she didn't react at all except for turning her head towards him with hair flying everywhere and he could see the blood starting to flow. She turned and ran into a cornfield on a dead sprint. After 35 yards there was blood from the ground to almost 4 ft high on the corn and we even found a good sized part of lung. We tracked her another 150 yards into the field when the blood ended. We spent the rest of that day and then the next I went back and tried everything to try to find that deer to no avail. 3 weeks later while checking my trap line I found her about 400 yards from where we lost her.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 16:14:54 (permalink)
    It will take time for the body cavity to fill with blood. If shot high in the vitals. The lower the shot or exit wound the quicker the blood results.

Hitting a vein or artery will produce quicker results but may take longer for the animal to bleed out.

I'll take a archery shot from a elevated position producing a high entry wound and very low exit wound through the lungs over a ground level shot from a rifle any day.

Still wishing you luck Ed and hope you find the deer. I sure don't envy your situation but certainly will be happy to see some pictures.

Pssssst..... fellas. heyy fellas psst. Yinz thinkin' what I'm starting to think. Maybe "shirttail trimming" time? lol

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 19:57:05 (permalink)
    Hes a hawg . Snow tonight ups my chances
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/04 21:47:14 (permalink)
    Not if it covers tracks in the mud, hair, dried blood on the vegetation, etc.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/05 01:21:35 (permalink)
    12 gauge slugs to deer head trustmee turn antler into anterless..zombiz bewarz

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/05 12:00:03 (permalink)
    Mountian Man

Who woulda thunk???

That's interesting..... didn't think you would shoot a gun. Thought you would be afraid of chipping a nail.

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/05 12:56:24 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Mountian Man

Who woulda thunk???

That's interesting..... didn't think you would shoot a gun. Thought you would be afraid of chipping a nail.

I have my fair share of guns.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/09 06:58:21 (permalink)
    BigHead said water, I agree it's the best guess for a place to focus on when there is no evidence of a hit and you are pretty certain you did
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/09 08:53:37 (permalink)
    Either a miss or a gut shot.

Miss...  It happens.  I missed one years ago, it never moved, not even an inch.  Follow up shot blew his lungs out.  I felt super confident in the first shot, too.  IDK if it was oil in barrel, a funny factory load, a twig somewhere between me and him, etc.

Gut Shot...  You should have found hair.  Find water.  He will be within ten yards of a creek.  Probably laying under a jagger bush. 

High Vitals?  there would still be blood and hair from the initial shot, I would think. I agree that this is a tough scenario to find blood fast.  It would still die quick though.

I would guess you missed.  A .270 should blow some hair off him, no matter where you hit on the body.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/15 11:16:25 (permalink)
    Eman89so
    Update. Shot the gun 4" high after I just sighTed it in a week ago... now I'm thinking ok high lungs... looked all morning so sign.. headed back tomorrow with 2 guys to hunt and look. Not convinced i missed at all... I hit the pines hard today I thought he would of been right there...

Betting you missed.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/15 12:18:55 (permalink)
    Buck Fever..... didn't chamber a round.

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3103
    Re: Help.... 2016/12/15 14:17:53 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Buck Fever..... didn't chamber a round.

Yup, a 270 hit anywhere in the lungs is a dead deer
    Jump to: