Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/21 16:20:46 (permalink)

air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting

For those that may have been following Pa House Bill 263, or for those that did not know, Governor Wolf signed HB263 into law today. Air rifles and semiautomatic rifles will be legal hunting devices by law with the PGC being tasked to regulate their use for hunting.

HB263 started as a bill to legalize air rifles for hunting a few years ago. This bill moved well but was recently stalled. There were several other bills to legalize semiautomatic rifles for various species floating around as well. Over the past month, the original HB263 was amended to also include semiautomatic rifles as legal devices without specie restriction. It passed almost unanimously in the senate and was concurred by a large majority in the house. Signed by Wolf today.

The PGC now has full authority to regulate both for hunting. I have already sent my thoughts to the Board of Commissioners and have had an exchange with one Commissioner already. Reading between the lines, it appears there is a will on the current board to develop regulations for both for the next license year. Look for air rifles being considered for all small game and possibly groundhogs and furbearers. Look for semiautomatic rifles to be considered for small game, furbearers, fall turkey, and groundhogs. Trapping dispatch was mentioned as well.

Big game maybe not the next license year but in the future.

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/21 16:39:00 (permalink)
It will be interesting to see what they come up with at the January meeting.

mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/21 22:39:31 (permalink)
 Airbows are next..  sam
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/21 23:53:41 (permalink)
Auto-Loading Airbow...........

I don't like the sound of using auto loading rifles greater than 22 caliber for anything but whistle pigs.

But once the auto-loaders get their foot in the door it should be interesting hearing them empty 30 round clips while they sweep the woods or fields chasing Bambi. Not that the PGC would allow such action by keeping the rounds limited to 4 per clip....

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 08:49:01 (permalink)
I foresee yotes being the test case for semi's.
No problem with either one of these.  Finally, PA getting out of the stone age as far as hunting regulations go. Now if Sunday hunting would pass, I'd be a happy camper; my wife, not so much.  
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 10:28:43 (permalink)
Glad to see some movement in the right direction. Air gun hunting is fun for small game I've done it in Ohio for squirrel and tried it once rabbit hunting but little to much brush for that,semi's would be great for varmints. Deer hunting would be fine,although I would probably never use one. 
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 10:58:36 (permalink)
mr.crappie
 Airbows are next..  sam

This legislation legalizes them as a hunting device. Depending on how the regulations are set up by the PGC will determine if they can be utilized on certain game.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 11:04:01 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
I foresee yotes being the test case for semi's.

Yep. Probably groundhogs, furbearers, and maybe fall turkey as an outside shot for centerfire. Rimfire probably small game, trapping dispatch, groundhogs, and as an outside shot fall turkey and furbearers.

Had an exchange with a sitting Commissioner yesterday. He expects significant movement on this.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 12:23:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2016/11/22 13:26:04
Be interesting to see if this law becomes a major issue for Wolf's re-election.

Pro-hunting is one thing; use of AR weapons for any reason, maybe not so much.

Sure Wolf will get strong support from the "brown and downers" followed closely by the "kill for thrillers".

Ummm..... no offense.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 15:20:02 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Be interesting to see if this law becomes a major issue for Wolf's re-election.

Pro-hunting is one thing; use of AR weapons for any reason, maybe not so much.

Most non hunters have no clue what is legal to hunt with and what is not. Nor do they have any clue what gun is what type of action. 

With this law, many semiautomatic action firearms, other than "AR" type are now legal hunting devices. Most look nothing like what many non hunters and/or gun owners think of when "semiautomatic" or "AR" is mentioned.

If the PGC allows them for furbearers and groundhogs next year, the odds of the public actually even seeing a hunter with the prototypical AR is almost zero.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/22 16:26:54 (permalink)
Dpms I'll end with saying Wolf's opposition will not be concerned with anything but saying he promotes the use of automatic weapons and use the AK7 and AR15 as their poster child.

You know these people fight by throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I'm in no way against auto loading weapons, just the damage that will occur, by the slobs who will abuse the privilege.

You know there will be those doorknobs using their ARs for the mere purpose to kill for the thrill.

Unfortunate but a fact, the more damage these people create, the more ammunition the anti hunters and gunners have, to bolster their agendas.

Hell who knows, maybe Wolf is betting on the old saying; give them enough rope and, they will hang themselves.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/23 10:38:23 (permalink)
Executive Director Hough was on the live PCN call in program last night. I asked him about the BOC taking action on this. He said they fully support this legislation and plan to propose regulations at the January meeting. So next fall, there will likely be some opportunities to use air rifles and semiautos.

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/23 12:55:37 (permalink)
Non hunters hearing antis over and over may think 'trophy hunters' just cut off the heads out in the woods and leave the bodies.
Don't pay attention to their BS.
I hate antis with their made up idiotic drivel.
If you say semi they say automatic military rifle.
Many of them even claim to have found numbers of wounded deer while out hiking ( in all the combined years of hunting how many have you found flopping around ?-they really push the slob hunter thing.
You are correct that non hunting office holders can really misunderstand.( can ya blame them with the loud anti lobby)
Hey -good luck with this - hope ya get some positive changes.
Ok --sorry bout the rant
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/11/23 12:58:52
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/23 16:26:49 (permalink)
Keep semi-autos rifles out of Bear and Deer seasons. Allow semi-auto rifles for predators/varmints
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 08:09:37 (permalink)
For those that oppose semiautos for certain seasons because of safety concerns. Please ponder the next few sentences. 

During gun rights discussions, the overwhelming majority of hunters support a person's choice to own and use semiautomatic rifles and pistols. Saying that the poor actions of some people should not keep the good people from owning these firearms. When the discussion is hunting, some of these same hunters then turn around and say that the poor actions of some hunters is reason enough to keep the semiautomatics out of the hands of the the good hunters. Saying that the gun is at the root of the perceived concern and not the person. In essence saying that on one issue the person should drive policy then on the other issue the gun should drive policy.

Quite the conundrum...... Is it the person or the gun that should drive policy.......
post edited by dpms - 2016/11/24 08:12:43

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 10:02:36 (permalink)
dpms I am sure you have heard the idiom "Be careful what you wish for".

Concerns are more about what could be lost in the future resulting from the misuse and/abuse, that will occur from the use of ARs for hunting.

It is said nearly a million hunters will be in the PA wilds next Monday. I'll venture nearly 500,000 of those hunters have no idea of how or where their guns will be shooting if and when they pull the trigger using their manual loading guns. I imagine 250,000 of those hunters will not reload while the remaining will need seconds to get another round into the chamber before firing multiple shots at a deer, that is likely running by now.

Imagine this same scenario with say, 10,000 hunters, now capable of firing 5 rounds within a matter of a few seconds.

I know I'm making this dramatic, but if I can, imagine what the opposition will do when they are given a chance. And you know, they will get their chance.

Now for your question; it ain't the gun, guns do not kill........
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/11/24 10:26:45

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 10:59:26 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I know I'm making this dramatic, but if I can, imagine what the opposition will do when they are given a chance. And you know, they will get their chance.

Same thing the opposition does when it comes to good citizens owning Glocks and ARs. The overwhelming majority of hunters support your and my choice to own them if we wish and not let the poor decisions of others drive policy. We are willing to stand up to the opposition on that front.

Now for your question; it ain't the gun, guns do not kill........

If it is the person and not the gun, then why the flip flop to the gun and not the person when the discussion is hunting and wish for the gun to drive policy and not the person? 

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 11:13:41 (permalink)
Guarantee you somebody - several somebodies probably - in PA will have "heard" or "read" this news and be out there Monday morning with an AR15 ready to let 'er rip.

Man I don't know ... I see what both of yinz are saying dp and bt. Prob a bit in the middle.

Fortunately I've not had to hunt public land for deer in decades, but do some occasional pheasant or duck hunting on public lands in the past ten years. Duck hunting especially brings out the worst behavior. Fortunately many of this jackwagons are shooting into the sky with very limited range after the shot. I don't wanna be anywhere near that type of person if they have a semi rifle or slug gun in deer season.

With the sheer volume of deer hunters in PA I think semis in deer season would be a bad move.

Good wit em for everything else though.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 11:30:38 (permalink)
rsquared

With the sheer volume of deer hunters in PA I think semis in deer season would be a bad move.

The densest population of hunters in the woods occurs in the SRA. These areas also happen to contain the densest population centers. Semiautomatics shooting single projectile saboted ammunition has been legal in these areas for deer for years with zero safety issues. 

We already allow these in our most populated areas for deer.

Yet some have concerns about these in our least populated areas with lower hunter densities. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 11:40:46 (permalink)
I'm thinking it's more about a law that by actions of a few will bring continued hardship to those who are in constant battle to keep our right.

Why push the luck, is it for the sport or just the thrill?

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 12:35:06 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Why push the luck, is it for the sport or just the thrill?

Semiautomatic firearms are legitimate sporting devices that have been legal in the majority of the country for decades. They are well entrenched and excepted as normal hunting devices by hunters and non hunters alike. Most non hunters are clueless to what is a legal firearm for hunting in those states as well. There are no measurable safety concerns after decades of use in those states and here in the SRAs of Pa.

What this is about is nothing more than a choice for sportsman. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 12:56:53 (permalink)
dpms I can appreciate your feelings with regard to the use of ARs for the sport of hunting.

I also understand, regardless of type of weapon, there shall be the slob hunters and/or those who will "kill for the thrill".

I also believe in S.P.O.R.T. so I never have to say "I told you so".

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and good luck this gun season.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 13:00:55 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
dpms I can appreciate your feelings with regard to the use of ARs for the sport of hunting.

Actually, I support semiautomatic actions for hunting. The AR style is just one of many different designs.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and good luck this gun season.

And you the same. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 13:11:19 (permalink)
" A Rose by any other name; is still a Rose".

Couldn't resist...... Take care.

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 19:19:41 (permalink)
I'm hoping they don't legalize it for big game, small game hell yea iv always wanted one of those pellet guns

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 20:48:49 (permalink)
I got me a couple of those auto-loading pellet guns but of course, they are both hand guns and not rifles. Just my luck..... Eh?

However.... I have forwarded a letter to the North Pole asking for a, Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Not likely I'll get it; wife says I'll shoot my eye out!

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/24 21:18:47 (permalink)
Hey I love my Gamo .22 caliber air gun. There pretty quiet and hit hard. They'll take out fox squirrels at 25 yards even hit in the body.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/26 08:09:26 (permalink)
   Air rifles would be neat for small game.
   Semi's scare me a bit. I certainly would not outfit a youngster with one. You ever hear the Dutch machineguns (760 pumps) during deer season. Referred to as that in area I hunt and I am sure not all of those volleys are the Dutch. I am definitely not coordinated enough to take aim with  the speed of some vollyes I hear.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/26 13:40:15 (permalink)
Whatchya wanna bet a bunch of yinzers'll be out with their AR's on Monday cause they "heard" or "read" that semi rifles are now legal in the state?
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: air and semiautomatic rifles legal for hunting 2016/11/30 07:45:19 (permalink)
rsquared
Whatchya wanna bet a bunch of yinzers'll be out with their AR's on Monday cause they "heard" or "read" that semi rifles are now legal in the state?

I didn't see any. Of course, I did even see another hunter all day Monday and Tuesday. I only heard 12 shots on Monday. First shot was not until 8:15.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Jump to: