Phesant recipes??

Author
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
  • Reward points: 0
2016/11/15 19:13:36 (permalink)

Phesant recipes??

With archery season over I decided to take my pup to the gamelands in search of a phesant for an hour or so after work. Haven't really trained her to hunt, just thought if I take her out and put a few over her she might get the gist of what we're after. At the very least it's another set of legs beating brush. Any way, today we got lucky and she **** near ran into one before it flushed. First phesant either of us have gotten. Can anyone offer up a good phesant recipe?

24 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/15 19:45:59 (permalink)
    No recipe Crappie_Slayer but a big hearty congrats on your first bird. Terrific story, can almost see you two in the field and the excitement as the bird flushed.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/15 20:01:03 (permalink)
    When I ran English setters I kill  a lot of birds. I never plucked them so slow moist cooking is a must.  Cut breast into 2 -4 pieces and thighs,legs are full of tendons and not much meat. Brown parts in olive oil add onions,garlic,red bell pepper ,mushrooms ,after everything cooked a little while add water and dry white wine cook till fork tender. Boil noodles or rice..I always deboned meat before cooking them. There good in spaghetti sauce, breaded with 4 C bread crumbs fried then finish in the oven covered in foil till tender. Any rabbit or squirrel recipe will work. Pulled pheasant breasts,you need a few like 4 birds makes a nice mess nice dry rub add little water and a splash of white vinegar toss in the crock pot cook till they fall apart, shred the meat add just a little barbecue sauce, and get those Hawaiian rolls,pheasant sliders. Just a few,just remember the meat is very dry. Good luck  with you lab pup,they make wonderful dual purpose dogs. They get on to pheasants real easy just them into birds and watch the tail and the rush to flush. There great dogs,my buddy had one that was just a hunting machine of birds and one hell of a waterfowl retriever.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/11/15 20:08:33
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/15 20:24:49 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Was a good time. The dog definitely got surprised when it flushed, but was into it after that. She's a lab mix, but has been very easy to train so far and seems pretty smart, so I'm hopeful she'll catch on quick. Thanks for the recipes Tuna. I might have to stockpile this one and get a few more. Pulled phesant sliders sound great!
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/16 18:21:31 (permalink)
    Think the pup and I may get hooked on this. Sure beats going for walks around the neighborhood. Went back out tonight for a few. Around 5 heard some crowing coming from a patch of high brush that got the attention of both of us. Got within about 20 yds and Nina couldn't take anymore and went in to investigate. Shortly after 2 roosters flushed out. Should have had another one toward making the pulled pheasant, but poor shooting on my part equaled zero birds.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/17 10:46:08 (permalink)
     Crappy Slayer, Working any dog that loves to hunt is a joy. Their enthusiasm is addictive. I have a just turned one year old mutt that is a hunting machine. He appears to be Chocolate Lab with some German Shorthair thrown in and who knows what else. He is lethal on Pheasants and has had 16 birds shot over him this year. With better shooting three times that should have been in the bag.
      Sounds like you have a wonderful pal there, and a dog you can enjoy hunting with is special.
       I roll the quartered pieces of Pheasant in flour and quick fry in olive oil, hot and quick. It seems to stay moist this way plus its fast. 
    post edited by treesparrow - 2016/11/18 07:57:20
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/18 10:34:55 (permalink)
    Sounds like you've got a heck of a dog there treesparrow. Hoping mine turns into a hunter like that, we'll see. Had her out for a few after work again yesterday. Put one up right before dark as we were heading back to the truck, never took a shot at it though. The excitement she has after flushing one is contagious. Probably gonna head out again this afternoon.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/18 16:10:36 (permalink)
    Pheasant hunting over dogs can be addictive.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/18 20:42:55 (permalink)
    Definitely seems like it is Dardys. Was out tonight for the 4th evening in a row. Been crazy busy at work and I can't figure a better way to spend an hour or 2 after work than winding down taking the dog hunting. Might need to hone my scatter gun skills though. Flushed 5 tonight, no shot on one, got one, and missed the other 3. Most of them have been luck I think, but tonight I got to watch Nina actually work 2 of them. Thinking about hitting it after work again tomorrow if it's not pouring.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 05:22:16 (permalink)
    Don't think it's luck, that little girl can smell them. Your going to have a pheasant nut on your hands. Does she retrieve them ? Wait till you knock a wing tipped bird down,and she tracks it down. I love hunting small game with a dog. The more she's into birds the more she'll learn. Like I said labs are quick learners and love to please. You got yourself a hunting buddy. I'm know expert but if your flushes are close, improved cylinder might help you hit more birds. When I ran close working Setters,I shot a little over and under 20 gauge improved and modified. 5 's or 6's high brass.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/11/19 05:28:51
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 07:30:17 (permalink)
    Got some work to do on the retrieving part. Right now she get so excited when she flushes one that she just keeps working the area where it came from. So far I'm very impressed with her though. Got her for a house dog mainly, but after this week I think she'll end up being a decent hunting dog.

As far as hitting them, I've been using an old Stevens pump I inherited. Admittedly, I just suck using a pump. Have a tendency to grab the gun close , then have to reach further up to grab the rack to get the next shell in. Not too many 2nd shots happening. My dad is letting me use his old Charles Daly o/u 20gage that I've shot since I was s kid. Its a smooth shooting gun that I've always done well shooting clays with. Gonna try to find an o/u I like to buy for next year. Think I'm gonna look into some different shells also.
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 07:32:11 (permalink)
    By the way Tuna, hope you're healing up well and get to run that beagle some this season.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 08:00:09 (permalink)
    Thank C.S. I should be good to do we I want.December 21 was the Dr good to go date but I've been cheating a little. I really can't see the harm in sitting in a ground blind with a crossbow but the Dr. said no but I said different. I hunted 11 times short sits at deer time saw a few shootable does and could have taken a very small 4pts in Ohio. Maybe I should lower my standards and just kill a deer. Hope to bunny hunt and do a lot of ice fishing,if we get ice. Bella's always my back up plan,she knows it's time and is just dying it run a bunny. Funny she shows no interest in a pheasant or anything else for that matter. 100 percent rabbit dog. My other hounds would run pheasant or grouse,different bark and always anticipating the flush. I always knew they where running pheasant,one was a natural retriever,bunnies or birds. Have fun with your new buddy.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 08:04:39 (permalink)
    Misses happen, but if they are happening often, then it can be several factors.

1). The shotgun does not fit you properly. Unlike a rifle that you can wiggle around and "crawl into" in order to aim, a shotgun is pointed and if it doesn't fit, it doesn't point in the right direction.

With the shotgun in a down position, pick out sonething, look at it, and quickly mount the gun. Two things should happen -- first, the bead should be pointing at or near the object and second, you should only see the very top of the receiver and the bead.

Do this about a dozen times and if that isn't the case 10 out of 12 times, the gun doesn't fit. If the gun doesn't fit, any hits are pure luck.

I know that certain stock configurations never fit me.

Another reason for missed is rushing the shot which results in two issues -- shooting way too close when your pattern is way too small (with I/C choke the ideal distance for 6 or 7.5 shot is 18-22 yards) and not getting your wooden head down on the wooden stock (because you want to see the bird fall) which results in shooting over the bird.

Finally, and I have literally hundreds of photos of this from guiding with my Pointers, make sure that your front foot is pointed where you plan on killing the bird. More often than not on a Miss when the gun fits, the mount is right, and the distance is right, the hunter's feet become stuck where they were when the bird flushed and the front foot is behind the flight path of the bird and your swing cannot catch up, resulting in shooting behind or just getting tail feathers.

As the bird comes off the ground, take the time to move your feet so that the front foot is pointed to where you are going to kill the bird -- this also lets it get out to the desired range. The follow the four "B" method --as you are mounting the shotgun and starting your swing, have your eyes pass through the bird's Butt, Belly, and Beak, then as the gun mounts into your shoulder, Bang. By doing this, you physically cannot stop your swing.

Over the last six months I have review over 5,000 of my hunting photos while working on a book about training pointing puppies and saw so many classic miss photos, that had to include a partial chapter on shooting live birds (the dog can't get retrieving practice if you don't kill the bird).

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 08:19:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips. I think you hit it with the gun not fitting, and me rushing the shot. I'm interested to see if the o/u will improve my hit percentage. Like I said, it's always felt like a smooth shooting gun to me as far as shooting clays. The pump has always seemed awkward to me, but it was my grandfather's so I'll continue to hang on to it.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 08:44:17 (permalink)
    And when you shoot that bird remember beer can with Apple juice!
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/19 17:30:11 (permalink)
    Crappy Slayer, DarDys is giving very good advice. I guided Duck hunters and was behind them observing there shooting. It was very educational. Gun fit and determination of the shot. With that said enjoy the misses as well as the folds.
      My Brother and I have a contest for the best excuses for misses. The all time best. "He went up so close my old eyes have trouble refocusing for distance."
    CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/11/20 09:23:45 (permalink)
    treesparrow
    My Brother and I have a contest for the best excuses for misses. The all time best. "He went up so close my old eyes have trouble refocusing for distance."

Lol, that's pretty funny.

Nina and I ventured around for about 3 hrs yesterday. First hit the spot we flushed 3 on Friday, but there was no action so decided to take a ride to another gamelands I've never been to. Worked the fields and wood edges until the snow really started to fly around 4:30. No flushes here either, but got to explore some new territory that I'll definitely be back to. Go figure that I got in the truck and drove 150yds down the road and almost hit a rooster that popped out.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/14 22:18:32 (permalink)
    Ever hear the one about the pheasent farm near Cambridge Springs closing in Jan. 2017 . Ha Ha Ha real funny huh !
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/15 08:10:55 (permalink)
    According to a recent PGC press release, they are closing two of their pheasant farms in January. And proposing a $25 pheasant permit (so it doesn't need legislative action) at the same time.

How is the pup's toe nail?

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/16 11:36:35 (permalink)
    It won't affect me. I've not stepped on a game lands for at least 25 years,when my last setter went to doggy heaven. The greedy PGC is the loser. Loss of pheasant stocking 10 and 25 dollar tags will drive more hunters away. After this year,being harassed by the same warden twice in less than a week,I've lost all respect for that agency. I'm done with Pa. I will continue to hunt in Pa. manly because I have a lifetime license,but will spend more days in Ohio chasing deer,waterfowl, squirrels and rabbits. It amazes me how a law biding hunter like myself can get harrassed and well known poacher that shoot 14-22 deer a year never even gets checked and brags opening about how he shoots them anywhere but puts unlimited 2b tags on them and still takes them to a deer processor. The same game warden frequents there and checks tags but never questions Mr. Poacher. I'll never be come out off the woods to let them check me,and if he chooses to park behind my truck again he will have two options,wait till dark or come find me in the woods. He almost forced me to leave the woods on the last day of gun season. I've been very kind to the deer herd in the last several years killing a buck every year and maybe every two years shooting a doe.I've never been busted for anything but get treated like a criminal. From now on I'll try to kill as many deer as tags I buy and not feel bad at all. I got two doe tags and a buck tag and anything thing legal that walks by in flintlock or X bow is going to die big or little skipper. Sorry to rant but I've been ****ed since the last day. After all my health issues and passing on several deer I'm officially done with PGC. Just for the record, I hunted mornings and afternoons for all 12 days total deer 2 bucks,one one legal one not 105 does,one friggin deer harvested. If I wasn't limited health wise my buck season would have been over in bow season. Sorry to turn this into a novel but I can truly say I hate the PGC.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/16 16:47:38 (permalink)
    Big Tuna
    It won't affect me. I've not stepped on a game lands for at least 25 years,when my last setter went to doggy heaven. The greedy PGC is the loser. Loss of pheasant stocking 10 and 25 dollar tags will drive more hunters away. After this year,being harassed by the same warden twice in less than a week,I've lost all respect for that agency. I'm done with Pa. I will continue to hunt in Pa. manly because I have a lifetime license,but will spend more days in Ohio chasing deer,waterfowl, squirrels and rabbits. It amazes me how a law biding hunter like myself can get harrassed and well known poacher that shoot 14-22 deer a year never even gets checked and brags opening about how he shoots them anywhere but puts unlimited 2b tags on them and still takes them to a deer processor. The same game warden frequents there and checks tags but never questions Mr. Poacher. I'll never be come out off the woods to let them check me,and if he chooses to park behind my truck again he will have two options,wait till dark or come find me in the woods. He almost forced me to leave the woods on the last day of gun season. I've been very kind to the deer herd in the last several years killing a buck every year and maybe every two years shooting a doe.I've never been busted for anything but get treated like a criminal. From now on I'll try to kill as many deer as tags I buy and not feel bad at all. I got two doe tags and a buck tag and anything thing legal that walks by in flintlock or X bow is going to die big or little skipper. Sorry to rant but I've been ****ed since the last day. After all my health issues and passing on several deer I'm officially done with PGC. Just for the record, I hunted mornings and afternoons for all 12 days total deer 2 bucks,one one legal one not 105 does,one friggin deer harvested. If I wasn't limited health wise my buck season would have been over in bow season. Sorry to turn this into a novel but I can truly say I hate the PGC.

Your not alone in your feelings toward the PennState Game Commission but why take it out on a deer heard that has truly suffered from that same bunch of nitwits?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/19 03:50:01 (permalink)
    DarDys
    According to a recent PGC press release, they are closing two of their pheasant farms in January. And proposing a $25 pheasant permit (so it doesn't need legislative action) at the same time.

How is the pup's toe nail?

All healed up like it never happened. Hoping to take her out Friday morning and put one or two over her.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2016/12/19 14:08:27 (permalink)
    Crappie Slayer, better get them while the getting good,it's the beginning of the end of that program. Back in the day my sportsmen club raised our own, hey but that's when people worked on projects. When I belong to a beagles club I would trap 30-40 rabbits out of town and release them in January. All small game hunting has declined. I don't even think th squirrel population is all that good.lol Good luck with the pup and your shooting.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    Re: Phesant recipes?? 2017/01/01 10:01:16 (permalink)
       Had two Pheasant quartered and skinned that I needed to cook. Well I had enough fried so I thought I would try something different. I put a can of cream of mushroom and can of cream of celery in the crock pot then the Pheasant pieces. Let it cook for a few hours until the pheasant was fall off the bones. My son and I each ate a leg for appetizer as they are to hard to bone. I boned the rest back into the crock then cooked up some egg noodles and added them. This made a very good meal. Next day I looked forward to another helping but my son had eaten it all. He is a college student not a food critic anything better than ramon soup is devoured. But it was good and I will do again.
    Jump to: