Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Silverbullet_11
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2016/10/04 19:06:26 (permalink)

LFZ Closing

So I was all ready to make a trip up this past weekend to fish with Jack, and luckily he was already up there to tell me that the Lower Fly Zone was closed so I didn't waste a 5 hour drive. My questions is "What the heck is wrong with the people that made this decision?"  What is the purpose of closing a catch and release area with the goal of ensuring more fish make it up river? Being from PA, I have already witnessed how the PA Fish Commission has ruined the Erie Steelhead runs with their asinine laws but I guess I expected more from NY.   **** Shame that money rules once again and the sportsman has to suffer...

32 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 20:27:45 (permalink)
    Because its really the only area they can close  (other than the upper)  so they did. The majority of the fish get jacked by the 81 bridge and they certainly will not close any of that.  On top of that the hatchery and BD Brooke are loaded too. How bout just stand on the short bridge during fishing hours and write 500 tickets. Its a gesture at best as most guys that fish there can fish other places, but the goons in the town pool  will never fish in the Zones

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 20:36:18 (permalink)
    Sorry we both missed the pleasure of fishing with Jack and other good folk here .
    Glad to see however some did albeit short .

Could the mouth of the river to the mid river point at 2a in Pulaski be closed to all fishing ?
    Why not , the river regulations are state managed , right ?
    Wonder who then. Would file a law suit ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 21:05:19 (permalink)
    It makes no sense to close the LFZ after the fish made it to that safe haven after running the gauntlet.  If the state is so concerned about having adequate numbers for their stocking program they could institute other measures including but not limited to more enforcement. 

How about cutting take numbers by a third, one male and female per angler, per day, any species. 

To begin with I honestly have trouble understanding why anyone would want to keep and eat a salmon that is on its death march.  I personally revel in the battle with a fair hooked fish and couldn't care less about the flesh or skein.

At least our neighbors to the north have the presence of mind to close down those rivers that inhabit Atlantic Salmon if the conditions and lack of numbers warrant such action.  To some its more about the resource than money.  That is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 21:25:54 (permalink)
    Problem is some don't know the difference in male and female. Just cut it to one fish and if it's on a string YOUR DONE.  They could also just SHUT IT DOWN  a few days.  500 tickets would make up some of the revenue lost too. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 23:11:35 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Sorry we both missed the pleasure of fishing with Jack and other good folk here .

Could the mouth of the river to the mid river point at 2a in Pulaski be closed to all fishing ?

Get yer azz in gear and yer mouth in public mode and do it.... I'VE TALKED THE TALK AND WALKED THE WALK FOR  30 YEARS, TIME FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO DO SOME WORK 'STEAD OF JES WHININ'....  jes' sayin'! 
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/04 23:16:43 (permalink)
    Clint S
    Problem is some don't know the difference in male and female. Just cut it to one fish and if it's on a string YOUR DONE.  They could also just SHUT IT DOWN  a few days.  500 tickets would make up some of the revenue lost too. 

From what I heard, NYS will get lots of revenue from the town pool last weekend.  Takes time to comply with the uniform procedures, and fill out all the forms, but lots of checks will be flowing to the coffers in Albany cause it's easier to cop the plea than to drive back and meet the JP!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 01:03:45 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Clint S

From what I heard, NYS will get lots of revenue from the town pool last weekend.  Takes time to comply with the uniform procedures, and fill out all the forms, but lots of checks will be flowing to the coffers in Albany cause it's easier to cop the plea than to drive back and meet the JP!

Are you saying they actually wrote some tickets lucky?
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 06:17:58 (permalink)
    I heard they went down the wall inviting everyone to meet the local JP, twice, on Saturday.  I was not there so it is just what I heard.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 06:51:14 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    hot tuna

Get yer azz in gear and yer mouth in public mode and do it.... I'VE TALKED THE TALK AND WALKED THE WALK FOR  30 YEARS, TIME FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO DO SOME WORK 'STEAD OF JES WHININ'....  jes' sayin'! 

I know personally I have attended meetings , wrote emails, called and even spoke to local DEC.  It's a very limited audience your preaching to here L.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 08:08:27 (permalink)
    L-13
    That's a pretty broad statement from not know my involvement

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 12:49:34 (permalink)
    I must have missed the closing of the LFZ, when did that happen?
    I was up last friday and saturday and there were people fishing it.

wishin i was fishin
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 15:00:20 (permalink)
    bigbear2012
    I must have missed the closing of the LFZ, when did that happen?
    I was up last friday and saturday and there were people fishing it.

they closed it Friday mid day.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/05 21:21:43 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    L-13
    EThat's a pretty broad statement from not know my involvement

That's my thoughts he is preaching to the choir here.  But I also understand not all that read post 

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/07 15:52:41 (permalink)
    DSR reports that the run is loaded with fish.....yet no one here is even joining in the circus above that,what's up locals!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/07 18:56:01 (permalink)
    pafisher
    DSR reports that the run is loaded with fish.....yet no one here is even joining in the circus above that,what's up locals!

I pulled my boat 2 weeks ago Jack . A week after the lake circus left .
    Heading to the mountains tomorrow for fins, feathers & hides . Probaly let some brass fly too .
    Gosh bless the Great Lake fishers and good luck

Ps . Another first as memory serves :
    First non trib salmon season I can recall
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/10/07 18:58:52

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/08 11:09:33 (permalink)
    I can imagine what the circus in town is like this weekend,hope the DEC gets writing cramps!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/16 15:46:47 (permalink)
    Now they are running the water at 335 again for today? Meanwhile the DSR reports that the fishing is so good that people are calling it a day as they can't take anymore of it.There is no shortage of fish!!!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/17 14:27:18 (permalink)
    Water dropped from 600+ to 280 in about a hr at Pineville guage,starting to resemble the old days.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/17 18:49:17 (permalink)
    Semis the hatchery wanted a push for the egg take.  FWIW I went on Sunday for a while , but did not really fish alot. Crowds everywhere I went.   There are more fish this year than the last two combined. Everyone that ''wanted one'' had one on a string.    I had one quick on and off and that's it.
    post edited by Clint S - 2016/10/17 18:52:22

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/18 08:47:18 (permalink)
    Charter Operator I know was up for the egg take yesterday, he said it is mostly males reaching the hatchery, no surprise with the emphasis  on "egg wagons" on other sites like Salmoncrime.  He also said the DEC has taken some females from the Genesee, which is loaded with fish right now.  The lack of rain may be having the effect of concentrating all the fish into the larger tribs, like the Black, Salmon, Oz, Genny, Oak, 18 and the big N.  Salmon Creek in Hamlin has seen almost no fish, the weeds in the estuary are so thick they would have a hard time getting through.  Could all change by the weekend, though, the weather man is calling for 2 inches of rain by Saturday in my neighborhood.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/18 10:27:58 (permalink)
    Lucky13
    Charter Operator I know was up for the egg take yesterday, he said it is mostly males reaching the hatchery, no surprise with the emphasis  on "egg wagons" on other sites like Salmoncrime.  He also said the DEC has taken some females from the Genesee, which is loaded with fish right now.  The lack of rain may be having the effect of concentrating all the fish into the larger tribs, like the Black, Salmon, Oz, Genny, Oak, 18 and the big N.  Salmon Creek in Hamlin has seen almost no fish, the weeds in the estuary are so thick they would have a hard time getting through.  Could all change by the weekend, though, the weather man is calling for 2 inches of rain by Saturday in my neighborhood.

So closing the LFZ did nothing to meet their goals for females to get to hatchery,but allowing the snaggers to continue to snag the rest of the river is wiping out the egg production.Why am I not surprised?
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/18 13:22:27 (permalink)
    I think there may be some serious discussions among the powers that be about what is acceptable in relation to insuring adequate eggs in future seasons.  But they have always said that the LZ was supposed to be a sanctuary area for fish that could then run up Beaver Dam, and they must have felt that the closure was necessary to allow any fish that could make it to there to rest.  And my friend, who I think you also know, said they had hens, just nowhere near as many as males.

It is certainly interesting to read the take of the Lake guys on all this, there is a thread on Lake Ontario United about the Russians, and the general mayhem that has existed around Pulaski for the last three weeks or so. 

I personally think that if there is a need for emergency closure to insure adequate egg take in the future, they should close the river from 3 to 2a as this is the steep slope area that sets up the gauntlet, or just close the entire river until they get the eggs needed.  The entire Lake fishery depends on that "one basket" above Altmar, and while it is a hardship for the industry to have to put up with the changes, if the current plan is not working, might be time for something more drastic!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/19 04:37:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info L-13 and yes , a drastic change is needed . I think $$ should not be the driving force of the fishery but rather .sustainability , even if it means closing the lower river to ensure the fish have a chance to reach the upper sections or at the very least continue the natural spawning so claimed .

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/19 09:55:54 (permalink)
    From the reports I've seen, along with video, there is no shortage of fish.  The Genny and Oz are stacked with fish so DEC has other alternatives for getting the needed resources to meet their goals.    
    If you want to make the entire SR a no kill zone after October 15th I have no problem with that given the fact I'm not interested in taking salmon for table fare to begin with.

bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/19 10:57:22 (permalink)
    I think the first 2 miles should be closed.

wishin i was fishin
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/19 12:58:28 (permalink)
    troutbum21
    From the reports I've seen, along with video, there is no shortage of fish.  The Genny and Oz are stacked with fish so DEC has other alternatives for getting the needed resources to meet their goals.    
    If you want to make the entire SR a no kill zone after October 15th I have no problem with that given the fact I'm not interested in taking salmon for table fare to begin with.

The problem with that is that they are an industrial setup into which the needed fish swim if they get them at the hatchery.  Going out and netting or having locals "angle" for them as they did a few years back requires labor and additional time, and they could still have a problem between where they get them and the hatchery. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/20 14:54:49 (permalink)
    L-13
    While I can get on the net here , I notice you don't make many friends in high places like ST . It seems like the same ole story about how it's OK to line, lift or hook "aka , snag" a fish because everyone else does so it's acceptable for them to as they have perfected the art while staying so called " legal " .
    I'm beating the same drum as you and chose not to follow the sheep.
    In retort however , you have no idea as to how many times I have beat that drum over the years to the agencies . I finally gave up and chose a different path , one which releases me from the river and more on the focus of the lake .
    Yes it's one and the same fishery but different agendas on sportsmanship .
    I will leave the trib guys alone and quite possibly the entire region as well very soon .

Good luck , but then again your L-13 and Neil is still rockin in the free world at 71 years young

Peace & Tuna

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/21 07:10:48 (permalink)
    Hey guys, no need to worry about netting fish to save the egg count. The ground was already semi saturated before this front moved in yesterday. As of now local flow gauges are off the charts. Our near year long drought is over :)
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: LFZ Closing 2016/10/21 11:06:01 (permalink)
    dimebrite2
    Hey guys, no need to worry about netting fish to save the egg count. The ground was already semi saturated before this front moved in yesterday. As of now local flow gauges are off the charts. Our near year long drought is over :)

Wish I could say the same for SE Penna.,we are getting ZERO rain here and my pond is down 5' as I speak.I think the last rainfall we had here was back in May.Did they open the LFZ ? Does n't really matter to me as I wont be in the SR area again anytime soon:)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: