Helpful Reply2016 archery season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/11 08:38:02 (permalink)
I watched my neighbor shoot a button buck, that was smaller than one of my Ponters, from a ground blind last evening. I had just walked out on the porch and put the binos on the deer when he let the arrow fly, which was pretty coincidental.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/11 10:47:36 (permalink)
Finally made it out with my son Saturday evening and yesterday evening in 2D.  Small properties where deer move through, but don't seem to stay much.  Had some really fun hunts, although he didn't let any bolts fly.  

Saturday we watched two young bucks sparring for a good 5 minutes, about 75 yards away.  Something I've actually never seen while I've been in the woods hunting.  Have seen it spotting, and just driving around, but never got to just sit and watch it unfold in front of me like it did.  Had a BIG doe sneak in behind us about 15 feet above our head on a high bench, and 10 yards behind us, as we just sat up against some trees on the ground.  This property is near a high fence operation, and the red stag were going nuts with their bellowing all evening.  

Yesterday evening was on a different property.  We were set up on a corner field edge where the deer congregate coming off of another property where they bed.  Had my 6 year old with us too, and he did an awesome job of being quiet and still in the ground blind.  At about 6:35, 2 does with their young sons came out directly in front of us.  If the bigger does had not been around, I would have had a really hard time telling that those were button bucks, and not 1.5 year old does without putting glass on them.  They were in great shape, and very healthy, but next to the adult does, you could tell they were a little smaller and leaner.  They made a retreat back into the woods after a few minutes, but then 10 minutes later came out single file from our left, but just at about 36 yards.  My son shoots well at 30 yards, but needs to get better at 40, so I made him hold off.  The property owner's wife came home at that point, and they retreated into the woods again when she got out of her car 100 yards away to walk into the house.  As we were getting ready to exit the blind, a single deer just inside the woods snorted and took off.  Didn't see it, but probably the buck that's been rubbing the saplings along the field.  

On the 150 yard walk back to the car, deer were in other fields on that property too.  

Couple of fun hunts with some cool action.  We'll let those properties cool off for a week or so, and hopefully get out to a few others this week.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/11 23:14:49 (permalink)
Just before six PM this evening I moved directly from my house to the ladder stand bordering my field and the neighbors bean field where I saw the deer standing last night.  Wind was out of the South which was ideal because I would be North of the critters should they come into the field as they did last night.  I broke every rule of approaching a hunting stand as I wanted to get to my ladder as quick as possible so, it wasn't until I turned into the tree row that I spotted a large doe standing 100 yds (+/-) into the bean field but luckily, she didn't follow the rules either because she was looking the other way.

I'm now standing stiffer than a dead tree, only ten yds from my tree stand and the doe put her head down to which, I took two giant steps then refroze as she picked her head up but, still looking in the opposite direction.  Two more giant steps followed by three baby steps when she dropped her head again.  Almost there when up pops the head, this time toward me and I am halfway through another giant step.  Dam I forgot to say "mother may I" and almost got sent home but the doe turns her head the other way and takes time watching behind her.  Nuts, I was certain another pair of eyes would becoming into the field so it was hop, skip, jump and, I was on the bottom rung of my ladder.  Head down one rung up, head up looking the other way; one rung up, head down; one rung up, heck if you think this is getting monotonous you shoulda been in my shoes. 

AT LAST on the platform, bow stowed in the holder, I now sitting and, the doe still feeding with no additional eyes seen along the fields edge.  Head up; I sit, head down; I sit then finally, the deer begins to move... away from me of course.  First it was one step then two steps then the doe turns toward me taking 3 baby steps followed by 4 giant steps before stopping, looking the other way before, laying down 100 yds (+/-) from my stand.

OK so it wasn't all a loss, it was a beautiful afternoon and I enjoyed the coolness of the evening air as I watched the fields and trees turn to a warm orange from the glow of the setting sun.  This time I followed the rules of leaving ones stand so I stayed well past sunset.  Although certain I could climb down without being seen by the doe, I checked with each step down, in her direction to assure she wasn't standing looking at me.

One rung to go, then I was on the ground turning toward my field when I was reminded that the rules recommend checking 360 degrees around your stand BEFORE descending.  I still don't know who scared who more and I'm still wondering where the hell the deer came from.

I'll be back at it, this time (maybe) in the morning.

Addendum:  Stupid deer!!

Can you spot the deer in this picture?

And doesn't this tree look like the tree in Mopar's picture?

Ooops.. wait, what?  Honest it's in my yard!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/11 23:35:12

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 04:53:24 (permalink)
Well what's up guy's, Been a few.  Well this year started off good by seeing quite a few deer first morning and evening hunt was nice also. Didn't get a shoot tho. Following sunday went to shoot a few arrows and well **** could not even pull my bow back.  Went and found out have pulled ligaments and some torn muscle. And so ofcoarse had to buy a crossbow. Bought a ten point titan ss,  **** that thing shoots pretty freaking fast and not even that loud. Last friday evening SLAMMED a nice doe she dropped like a bad habit  LOL  no tracking on that one. Got some meat in the feezer and one more doe then going after the BUCK. See a Piebald 9 point at the one farm I hunt and was getting bait for catfishing walked right by within 20 yards FREAKING COOL as it gets!!!
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 11:11:10 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
                                                                           Can you spot the deer in this picture?                                                                                                                                             And doesn't this tree look like the tree in Mopar's picture?                                                                              Ooops.. wait, what?  Honest it's in my yard!
. BTDT but my tree has deer under it .... lol 🍺😜🍺. Good story bud ...well yesterday evening I get to my favorite spot , ya know where the tree is at now this is on my uncles property ( only info ) I'm giving up . So I see my uncle walking down the field , he spots me and says hey you have a chain , I'm stuck so I go and pull him out, then go check my camera's , get ready to get in my stand get a call from my son telling me he just blew a tire but he is ok just can't get his car jacked up. Had to go home get my little floor jack and go help him anyhow got his tire changed then his car wouldn't start dead battery 😡...gave him a jump followed him to his house , checked his battery no water in it put water in it and put it on charger .... got back home at 7:30 so NO HUNTING ..... KIDS !!! 😜🍺

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 11:22:34 (permalink)
mopars0

. BTDT but my tree has deer under it .... lol 🍺😜🍺. ..... KIDS !!! 😜🍺

OUCH!!!  LMAO!  

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Welcome back Big Head and congratulations on your deer.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/12 11:25:25

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 17:26:06 (permalink)
Dateline: Today; Right now.

OK thought I'd send an update while playing rock-a-bye BTDT in the tree.

Wind is south at 10 MPH, Sun is shining, humidity 44%, temp. is 72 and I'm wishing I would have wore my shortyshorts with the RealTree Fig Leaf camo pattern.

Thought I'd get an early start today and by now I'm guessing yinz know there is nothing going on because I am sitting in my tree rocking to and fro playing with my...... stupid phone.

Stay tuned, breaking details as they happen.

Film at 11... which I doubt but, I can allows hope.

Meanwhile don't forget to look for the deer in the picture.

PS. Not Mopars pictures.

PSS. Stupid Squirrels.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/12 17:35:47

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 18:18:18 (permalink)
Yes congrats Big Head on your deer at least someone is getting them 👍.... and BTDT glad ya made it out this afternoon .... myself , well that didn't happen went out for dinner with my better half and neighbor lady .... couldn't turn down a free Italian dinner .... lol. HAPPY hunting guys 🍺🍺

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 23:03:52 (permalink)
Thanks Steve, it was good getting back out and I did get to see three doe this evening, one in the bean field came out just before dark and further to my south then last night, so no hope there.   A half hour before that two doe entered my field just to the East of me and it looked like they would be working their way up the edge maybe giving me a 20 yd shot.  Closer they got I could see they were both young-uns with one looking to be about 1.5 and the other 2.5 years.  Didn't matter, the older of the two seemed fascinated with something going on west of us and darted toward the center of my field then started the foot stomping thingy before heading back from which they came.

I'm thinking they stayed in the woods longer today because the deer I startled when I (thank goodness it was on the way down) missed the last rung on my ladder last night,  sent "hunter text alerts" out to everyone.

Calling for rain in the morning which I'm going to use for an excuse to sleep in but I thinkin I'll be back out in the afternoon.

Hope you enjoyed your dinner and thank you for making me hungry so late in the evening.  Do ya know if McDonald's serves spaghetti?

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/12 23:47:10 (permalink)
So getting the fever...have not been out yet holding out until last 3 weeks then going out as much as possible.
Glad to see the same ole stuff here...got a feeling BTDT puts a nice buck down this rut...hes over due right?
will take this chance to say GOOD LUCK to everyone!
I have an 8pt on cam I think 2.5 yr old with high g2 and g3 I know there are better around but if he steps out and stops broadside I know I will be tempted...looking forward to getting out soon
WCW

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/13 05:38:36 (permalink)
Congrats on the doe bighead.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/13 11:14:10 (permalink)
WCW thank you , greatly appreciated and right back at ya. Great picture, that might not be a rack for the wall but being so different makes it awesome, I'd have no problem sending him a invite to dinner via 'arromail' Rain has stopped and it's going to be a great day for still hunting so gotta grab my compact, put on some makeup and go see what I can find in the woods.   Or field. Much luck to all.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/13 14:02:26

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/13 21:02:07 (permalink)
............... Stupid deer!      But the afternoon was not a total loss as I found a new bedding area of several deer and had they not seen me coming, I might have got a shot at one of them.

Also learned a new way to make my own camouflage clothing so now I will only need to wear a dark pair of cotton pants and a dark cotton shirt then run through the "Burr" weeds three or four times,  "VOILA".......! instant camo!  Hand wash cold water; line dry only.

Weather dude calling for frost overnight and into the morning again so I think I'm going to give it a go before first light,  I'm thinking (hoping) that I may have disrupted the routine of those deer and I'm 'most sure I saw antlers going into the woods.  So with any luck at all, the deer will be looking for a new place to bed down in the morning and maybe it will be near my deer stand. Now all I need do is just figure out which stand that might be.

Frosty nights and a full moon is coming, it's gonna get interesting..........

Stay tuned.

Luck to yinz all.

PS. Picture of my new camo pattern (patent pending)     

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/13 23:03:14

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 15:55:27 (permalink)
Nice cool day yesterday so I slipped out in the afternoon. Climbed into the stand at 3:30 and just as I got my bow to the top of the stand and grabbed it I looked up to see a decent buck 25 yds out coming straight at me. That lasted only a split second because he saw me at the same time, turned quickly into the multifloral rose and was gone. Stayed till 7, but saw no other deer.

Was back at it this morning with the day off. Was a balmy 34 degrees when I hit the stand before sunup. Decided to stand up and stretch my legs around 8:30. Shortly after I see a nice doe come into the old logging path my stand is on followed by 2...3...6 doe in all. Watching them about 30 yds out I see 2 more come out about 60 yds away. Its on. Doe #1 starts working her way toward me while the others feed on acorns on the path. At 22 yds she turns broadside and I let the bolt fly. The NAP kill zone connects and they all take off like a shot. Found her piled up after a 70 yd tracking job. Turned out to be a great morning. Big thanks to my buddy Josh for the help getting her all skinned and quarters out quickly. Tenderloin dinner tonight!

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 16:45:52 (permalink)
Nice shot. Text book. Nice big burger doe. Congrats
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 18:18:32 (permalink)
Nice one Crappie ... good deal !!! Congrats ... in my stand right now but pretty slow .... as you can tell cause I'm on here ....lol

STEVE.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 19:06:03 (permalink)
Nice job......that will dent your freezer

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 19:52:12 (permalink)
Thanks guys. Nice to have some fresh meat in the freezer. Couple cold ones by the fire tonight with some friends and I'm sleeping in tomorrow. Then its time to chase the horned ones. Good luck to those heading out in the am.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/14 23:35:37 (permalink)
Nice Crappie...went out myself this evening on OTHER property jus wanted 2 get out.
Checked cams which was main reason to go out and sat last hour and half...had 3 large gobblers and group of 8-9 hens feed around me for hour and saw lil 8pt pushing doe and 4 youngins around...gud 4 da soul...camera cards had this on it going to have to go back over there again!
Trying to hold off on stands here at home until end of Oct but everything is ahead of schedule lots of fields harvested here earlier than I can remember it happening last 10 years guess the dry weather has corn and beans dried out...the fever is setting in   --WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 10:48:38 (permalink)
Congratulations Crappie_Slayer and a great story too.  I must apologize...  ummm, what time did you say dinner was?      I woke up yesterday with my eyes feeling like two golf balls just whacked out of a sand trap.   Guess running through "Burr" weeds and standing in the Goldenrod, hiding from deer the night before, wasn't such a good idea.  Had a exciting afternoon hanging around in my yard sitting in my tree yesterday.  Almost 6:00 PM straight-up and a doe pops from the treeline walking into the bean field and I assumed it's the same deer I've been seeing.  Shortly past 6:00 a second doe appears on the edge of the field, looking like a twin of the first, and of course both deer are 100+ yds. to my south.  Watched for a bit then the second doe  takes three giant steps to the west and up pops four more deer which in itself, was very exciting for me to see. Of course deer being deer; all six screwed around like they have all day or something and daylight was burning, but being the patient type of guy I am, I decided to hang around a bit longer. Well the sun was set when four of the critters turned and started walking toward me and they weren't wasting time so it was bow in hand, nock arrow [note to self; pointy end out], affix release [note to self; close jaws] and wait.    I have a marker at 20 yds. and 30 yds. and I didn't want to be seen drawing the bow so I stood ready well before they approached the outer mark and they kept a comin'.    Thirty yard pin now on the lead deer that's just steps from the marker when she turned broadside  aaaand....  went into the woods, followed by the other three. All was not a loss, there is a trail 20 yds to my east and I have a lane leading right to the trail and sure enough, here comes the lead doe.  Taking her time of course, which was to my advantage because it will give me time to re-draw, when her head gets behind a Cherry Tree, just before she steps into the lane.  Just as her head disappears, I draw, annnnnd.... she stops behind the tree.  Yes, I remained full draw and she remained behind the tree with only her head beyond and daylight is going fast when she takes one baby step giving me a shot, just behind the shoulder.  Except it's much darker in the woods and while I could see my sight pin, I couldn't find the spot (aim small; shoot small) I wanted to see  on my target nor was I sure, she was far enough into a clear lane..  A few seconds later, I let the bow down and the deer walked into my field which is to my north but there was only three and I'm not knowing what became of the fourth. What really is exciting, seeing a clan having a matriarch, 2.5 yr. old and, two 1.5yr old deer which may even consist of, additional members.  Plus the gooder part, I got to pull and hold full draw on a legal shooter and it's been 8+ years since I Been There Done That.  What a rush!  I was so excited, I had no problem getting out of bed "before sunrise" and getting back in my stand this morning and I did see deer, but tooo far into the woods. Stupid deer!!  [note to self; wear boots, not slippers this afternoon]
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/10/15 16:11:32

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 12:10:58 (permalink)
Very cold calm morning. 8am a lone button buck tried to sneak through followed by 2 small doe. Wife told me I had to put some blood on the ground today so I figured the first one would do. At the shot I saw my arrow knock end fly up in the air about 5 ft from the deer then the rest of the arrow graze the top of its back. No idea what the fmj hit but it broke the arrow in half and I for sure didn't see any tree limb around.

The doe decided to mosie around for 10 minutes under the brush and it's sister decided she wanted to stand right where the first was on my messed up shot. I was just about to draw back again when the first turned and came straight down my trail so I put the sight on her again and when she stopped at 10 yards I let the 2ND arrow fly. She didn't move. Dropped in her tracks and flipped over once and that was it.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 12:41:11 (permalink)
Great story Dave and congratulations and what time will dinner be?

Heard four shots today, not knowing if anyone got lucky.  My short Haired Pointer is standing on the back deck looking in the back door so I think somebody may have just fired a shot close by.   Must go see and chase the dog off the deck which has two gates at either side which she has no problem jumping.

Loads of luck to all.

outasync
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 13:26:45 (permalink)
Still have no clue what happened to the arrow on the first shot. It broke about 5 inches from the knock. What's odd is my wife had the same thing happen a few years back and we never figured out what broke hers either. Only thing I can figure is it maybe broke when it hit the ground and I saw it catapulting back up in the air?
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 14:15:05 (permalink)
 Your arrows are to light for your bow,my guess.You seem to have trouble getting broadheads to fly. How fast does your bow shoot? I'm guessing you hit that fawn high in the spine. Heavy arrows have more kinetic energy,and fly better and easier to tune in, I hate fast bows and short brace height,and 80 let off. I killed 5 bucks in one year in 4 states with my bow turned down to 50 lbs and a whopping 197 ft per second. It was and old new then XI bow made by Myles Keller.
post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/10/16 15:25:26
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 14:24:38 (permalink)
I'm shooting 400 Easton full Metal jackets from a 60 lbs pse axe 7 that Ken at field and stream set up. I figured out the broadhead problem. I had the between the limb dampeners on it and after removing them my arrows all shoot fine.
First shot only grazed her back not even 1/4 deep across her back. 2nd was perfect double lung top of the heart shot.
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 16:23:38 (permalink)
Found the issue. Flexed my arrows found 2 more bad ones. I think I'll retire all the blue labeled fmjs.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 16:34:14 (permalink)
Back at it bright and early this afternoon, 74 degrees with a strong wind out of the south. Not much going on except the tree swaying one direction and my ladder stand going in another, making weird muffled thumps and bumps.

Not overly concerned as I once read a report where more climbing injuries ocurr from people standing on their kitchen chairs then do from a ladder.

Which I can not imagine to be correct... who the hell hunts deer standing on a kitchen chair?

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 16:40:50 (permalink)
Dammm- good luck one of them isn't sticking outa your -or the wifes- hand.
Complete arrow change in order ??
Ranem over with the truck??
Or are they getting stress cracks when shooting???
That's unusual stuff for too many arrows IMHO.
post edited by r3g3 - 2016/10/15 16:43:24
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 16:46:38 (permalink)
I have 6 of the blue labeled ones about 5 years old that are getting trashed. Have 6 I picked up last year I'll use then replace after the season. First kill with a rage chisel tip. I'm impressed with the hole. May try out a swhacker next
post edited by outasync - 2016/10/15 16:50:02
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: 2016 archery season 2016/10/15 17:25:09 (permalink)
I tried fmjs hated them heavy arrow but they bend I used them in 2013 not a fan cool concept but bad results

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to: