Eskimo ice auger broke!

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/01 18:44:14 (permalink)

Eskimo ice auger broke!

Bummer!  basically in great shape but this Eskimo  model #8900 10 " with a Tecumseh engine just broke on the ice! .. the thruttle spring mechanism failed..lucky I always bring my 6" lazer hand auger which is still more fast enough..portable and light weight too!  I tried to fix this pos myself in my garage and I swear they engineer these things so you can't fix them yourself! the thruttle spring bent  and feel apart hard to get to trouble area  most vunerable to fall apart!  I wouldn't recomend this eskimo brand cause I tried to locate service online and found nothing on the internet for replacement parts or servicability. JIFFY probably better if anyone is in the market for a gas auger.  If by chance anyone here knows a good service vender, could you please let me know? hope everybody is safe and having fun or at least making the best of each day! I know I do  my best and feel blessed I have what I have including my health! But most importantly peace of mind knowing my savior lord jesus

9 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/01 18:56:54 (permalink)
    really wish I could meet up with you guys this weekend but doubtful, I am eyeing the weatherchannel, That nasty Midwest storm coming to the east soon. later folks, going to bros for dinner and good superbowl weekend to all!
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/02/01 18:58:18
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/01 19:38:22 (permalink)
    Backin79:

With all this rain the fishing will be iffy unless we get some really cold weather.  Most of the lakes are covered with water and slush on top of the ice.  Sorry about your Eskimo ice auger, as Dakotaman had a problem with the point on his Eskimo auger as it broke off.  I have a Strike Master 2000 with 3HP, 10 1/4" cut and it works great.

Eagle Ed
    post edited by eagleed - 2008/02/01 19:40:37
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/01 21:43:17 (permalink)
    yeah Ed, it's okay cause my 6" hand lazer is more than enough these days. As for the gas power, I will inquire a  few local service shops and see if they want to mess with it.. as i said this pos was engineered to fall apart and I am somewhat disapointed these  fragile plastic spring cheaply made alloy parts that need replacing are next to impossible to reach without major dissembly. Live and learn! I will not purchase from Eskimo again,especially when the company offers no online service website. You take good care up there ,later
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/01 21:55:49 (permalink)
    Look for Tecumseh engine repair shop.
    They can probably order the parts if they do not have it in stock.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/01 22:57:54 (permalink)
    So far I found this  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2006/tecumseh.html   i'm sure this model is closer to 10 seasons old however, why have recalls for later models for faulty parts/engineering?  I will phone them and inquire about this models servicability.  thank you  too
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/02 05:53:26 (permalink)
    I have an Eskimo 10in and a Jiffy Lite 8in and they both have the same motor. Your Eskimo can be repaired by any Jiffy dealer. Hope this helps some.

Dakota Man
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/02 10:09:11 (permalink)
    Yes thanks dakota, I will phone the number in the link I found online. Hopefully, get this thing  serviced locally before the season is over. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/03 15:29:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eagleed

Backin79:

With all this rain the fishing will be iffy unless we get some really cold weather.  Most of the lakes are covered with water and slush on top of the ice.  Sorry about your Eskimo ice auger, as Dakotaman had a problem with the point on his Eskimo auger as it broke off.  I have a Strike Master 2000 with 3HP, 10 1/4" cut and it works great.

Eagle Ed

the big storm friday (great fishing weather in the shanty) up north started out all snow with about 4" hitting the ground before turning to sleet than all rain at night.
    what the rain did was help conditions
    prior it was brutal walking (which i found out on day 1) on the ice with out cleats
    you could get no traction , so day 2 on went the korkers.
    now after the rain fri night it crusted up the snow  and made walking with out cleats possible.
    the ice conditions are best they have been all year and only getting better.

79>
    Any small engine repair shop would (should) be able to repair that very easy.
    for those looking to buy an auger hand or gas, don't go to big on hole size
    6 or 8" is plenty
    the bigger the hole the more power or energy needed to drill.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Eskimo ice auger broke! 2008/02/03 22:42:07 (permalink)
    tuna, i agree 6" 7" 8" is plenty for all but the biggest species. I wouldn't go bigger than  6"  for hand auger and would say 8" is plenty for even muskie. The only advantage  for a 10" hole is sub zero fishing when one needs to skim the fast thickening icing perimeter. But thats when the hatchet or spud come in handy. holes fast freeze-over holes. How about tyhem giants! what a great superbowl game! Earlier today took my german shorthair to monksville res. in nnj and the upper was frozen with russians out there keeping pickeral perch sunnies! Any guy with his son using a chainsaw to cut holes! lol ice was about 5" to 6"..i haven't fished freshwater jersey in over a decade cause new york is way better.
    Jump to: