Upcoming season is approaching, good luck....

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
  • Reward points: 0
2016/09/07 11:55:24 (permalink)

Upcoming season is approaching, good luck....

Good luck to all in the upcoming season.  Some I've had differences with (BT) but hopefully that's water under the bridge.  Season starts in Special Regs soon...... May your aim be true.
I'll be toting my bow when I am by myself and I will be getting the kids out this year for Mentored Youth with a cross bow.  At 10 and 8, they still aren't strong enough for a compound that is ethical to use on a deer but, they are definitely excited to get out there with me.  
Have my Barronett 2 man ground blind I used in rifle with them last year and picked up an 18' 2 man ladder at Dunhams last week for $89 that I still need to set. It will be nice just spending time in the woods with the kids and if we get the chance to harvest a buck, all the better.

20 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/07 12:32:16 (permalink)
    Right back at ya Eyes, we will be waiting for the pictures.  Mentioning your kids and the excitement over hunting with dad, sure does bring back memories, of twenty years ago for me.  Heck, I'm even getting over the mentored hunt thingy......... just not completely, yet.

Kudos

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/07 22:18:52 (permalink)
    Happy Hunting both with the kids and alone -good luck out there.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/11 07:44:07 (permalink)
    Mr. Gills, I fondly remember those years and the times I spent with my son and daughter both hunting and fishing. Enjoy those times together, and good luck with the season. And to all have a safe and enjoyable season.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/12 11:20:29 (permalink)
    Just coming to the realization that it is going to be a stretch to get them out there but we will do our best.  Two different dek hockey leagues that they are both in on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and Soccer on Wednesdays and Thursdays and V-ball for my daughter starts up in November and NFL flag football starts up in October on Thursdays and Saturdays for my son.  Wheww.....we are going to be busy.

Might be some "educational" field trips to the great outdoors during the week in their future on non-test days....as long as they keep their grades stellar.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/12 13:11:39 (permalink)
    LMAO Eyes, I sure do remember those extra curricular activities, good luck.

Myself, after using a bearing type release for 25 plus years, I switched to a caliper type release.  Whyyyy, I asked myself, did I ever wait so long?  

I guess being a newbie back then, I relied on those whom I thought to be experienced at the art of archery hunting.  A bearing style release was thought to be more forgiving but unfortunately, is harder on the bow string serving.    Well I don't know about the "forgiving" part but I can attest for the serving thingy.   Seems every six shots or so I was pushing the serving back up the string to close the gap.  Oh, I tried the trick of pinching the brass nocking points above and below the release contact point which didn't take long to create a large gap to appear on the right side of my beard.

Anyway, at first I found the calipers somewhat cumbersome as the pincers, unlike my bearing release, doesn't pivot.  The good news, I have not had a problem with the serving.   I seem to be (slowly) getting use to the calipers and, I can hit the dam target three times in a row from, twenty yards out.......  how cool is that??  And they said "bearing style releases" are more forgiving.

I make it a point to practice no less than twice daily shooting 4 rounds of three arrows from twenty yards out with a 55 lb draw.  As opening day draws nearer, I'll turn the draw weight up by  1 to 2 pounds until I can draw and hold 65 lbs at 65% let off.

I know it is recommended to practice wearing the clothing of which one will be hunting in  but today, is very warm so I shall be wearing only my new 800 gram Thinsulate 8" high waterproof Wolverines and a pair of my favorite shorty shorts. 

Now there is a picture to be painted in the minds eye, of those people that know me.  So the next time yinz are sitting  in your favorite tree getting bored, waiting on Mr. Trophy, just remember me practicing with my new caliper release.

Good luck to all and to all, from your tree, do not fall.

Safety first, wear that harness. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/12 15:08:53 (permalink)
    You don't use a string loop for your release?
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/12 15:31:39 (permalink)
    eyes, you hunt in 2B right?  so, you'll get to start this weekend?

so glad i bought a crossbow for my son when he was 10.  hands down the best time of the year to be in the woods.  he missed a great 8 a few years ago (i misjudged the distance - clean miss) but other than that hasn't shot at one with the x-bow.  have had plenty of close encounters though and have seen some great sights you normally don't get to see in gun season when deer are often moving quick.   

i love the mentored program!  although, he's 12 now so he'll be toting his own weapon into the woods, which during archery season means i'll be watching since i sold my vertical bow 10 years ago.  

love our ground blind.  i hate tree stands, but he loves 'em.  have some friends with 2 man ladder stands set up around their property.  although this year, i guess i can send him up while i sit on the ground 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/13 10:27:42 (permalink)
    We could start Saturday but with all the stuff going on, we won't get out.  Have soccer at 10am and then dek hockey playoffs in Murrysville Saturday afternoon/evening.  I have Friday off so I will be doing as much scouting, trail trimming and stand hanging as I can but my spots are all over 2B (except the west side) so I don't know how much I'll get done.  I don't get real excited until the low temps get into the 40's and the highs are barely breaking 60, at most.  I don't have good evening "food" stands or places to put a blind so early season is mostly observational looking for travel routes.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/13 20:24:03 (permalink)
    I got somme studs on cam....
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/14 08:45:35 (permalink)
    Eman89so
    I got somme studs on cam....

Lets see 'em!  Need to get the juices flowing.....

Did see lots of deer and turks out this am in the fields.  All does/fawns from what I could tell and there was a fawn still with faded spots standing in the middle of the road yesterday on my way home from work (5:10pm).  Had to beep the horn to get it to move out of the way.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/14 09:52:32 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    You don't use a string loop for your release?

Yes Eyes, past two years I used both the string and metal type "D-Loop" and they did make a difference with with wear/separation on the serving.  The metal "Loop" was very close to the string and posed a problem in that, the bearing release would barely close and sometimes hesitate before releasing. Also, I had difficulty in holding my set points precisely, each and every time, as  I developed a bad habit of allowing my release hand to drift right of string and I think it was because the extra 1/2" added by the loops.  There did not seem to be the same "feel of the string" as when not using a loop.  

As my luck would have it, I shoot a 29" draw and that is the minimal to which my bow can be set or I think readjusting to a 28 1/2" draw may have been just the ticket for using a "loop".

So far the calipers (and they are cheap) have caused no problems at all so I'm thinking of investing in a better quality release which will be shorter in construction and, should help with the draw length.

To think, it's only taken 25+ years but, like they say in the old country; "Yinz is never too old to learn".

Good luck and hunt safely.

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/14 20:57:44 (permalink)
    I can't even show you these....
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/15 17:57:49 (permalink)
    The defiant is shooting great stands been up over a month now I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! I'm super pumped this year for hunting season between archery and duck season I'm gonna be a busy guy till April and steelhead on Sundays , been seeing a lot of nice bucks hope this year is the year I finally put one on the wall

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/16 05:07:16 (permalink)
    Hey Eyes have fun with your kids. Best times of my time spent in the woods with my son he banged limits of squirrel and bunnies over my pack of  excellent beagles. Then when he turned 14 he could handle a bow turned down to 55 pounds and the doe slaying began. He shot so many does those first 5 years he would even shoot one now. Those where fun times,but I will admit my buck production went way down. He's 31 now and just about all he wants to do is bow hunt for bucks. We hunt Pa. and Ohio so where looking forward to getting are 4 bucks again this year. Been working every day since two weeks before Easter so just about no anything for me. Missed early goose season in Ohio but see them everyday on my work travel. My neighbor told me me there's 4 dandy bucks in the woods behind my house according to his trail cams,and the late garden damage,those deer just love Swiss chard.lol I did drive to my stop in Ohio one pre dawn morning and observed a dandy velvet buck about 20 yards from my ground blind munching green soybeans. He appeared to be 18-20 inch range in late July. Oh well good luck to all,have fun be safe and.enjoy your time afield. Turning 64 I'm trying to get out and do everything I can,my best hunting years are behind me now. I bought 4 packs of Rage broadheads so I'm good for 6 years.lol I've released 2 arrows each season for the last 4 years.lol not complaining because they all been decent bucks. Hard to go up after my Ohio 12 pt last year but I'll be happy with any decent shooter bucks it's hard to pass up bucks in the 17 inch spread and up regardless of there on the hoof age lol. Well I've got to go works calling me. Happy hunting guys.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2016/09/16 05:09:45
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/18 20:39:05 (permalink)
    Eman89so
    I can't even show you these....

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    BTW, flocks and flocks and flocks been flyin over the house last couple of days.

BH
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/18 21:23:12 (permalink)
    Saw a pic on FB today of a bear shot in the 2B portion of Butler County on Saturday. Not sure which township Though.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/19 09:37:45 (permalink)
    Good stuff.  I always debated if I should get a bear tag "just in case" but I haven't the past couple years.  Did see some bear scat while scouting in northern 2B on Friday.  
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/19 09:53:00 (permalink)
    I don't think I'd ever shoot a bear. Too many other expenses in our life for a big taxidermy bill and I don't think I'd enjoy eating a whole bear.

One property we hunt in the Butler Co portion of 2B, the neighbor had 5 different bears on trail cam a year or two ago. They are definitely becoming more common in our neighborhood.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/19 15:41:59 (permalink)
    Bear rugs are expensive but a tanning job is much cheaper- still a lot though.
    The meat is excellent as far as wild game goes.
    Don't listen to those who have never actually had one but 'have heard all about it'.
    The only thing about the meat is a very different oily feeling fat when handling it.
    NEVER cut open the stomach or entrails--yucky stuff in there.
    Kinda reminds me of beef without all the tasty fat on the steaks-- makes nice roasts on the grille.
    Double wrap it in foil with some bacon and tomatoe on it so it wont dry out too much while cooking.
    They can be heavy boned so make a good broadside boiler room shot.
    Perhaps angled slightly forward towards the opposite leg.
    Don't be surprised if you don't pass through- they are tough critters.
    Good luck.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/09/19 15:49:27
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: Upcoming season is approaching, good luck.... 2016/09/27 09:40:28 (permalink)
    Thought about heading out this AM and even put the "1/2 day vac" stickie on my computer monitor at work but when I rolled over with the alarm at 4am...well...I am in the office.  Did kick myself a little when I saw several deer out on the fields on my drive in b/w 6:30 and 7 am.  Maybe tomorrow morning....
    Jump to: