Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/01 10:19:25 (permalink)

Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions

Here is an article from the LA Times concerning major problems with the salmon populations in California. 

Regulators issue the warning as the number of chinook in the Sacramento River falls to historic lows.

By Eric Bailey, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 30, 2008
 SACRAMENTO -- -- Faced with an "unprecedented collapse" of California's Central Valley salmon population, federal regulators warned Tuesday that the West Coast fishing industry is on course toward steep restrictions this year.

The number of chinook salmon returning to the Sacramento River plummeted to near historic lows last year, and fishery experts are predicting similarly light returns this year.

Donald McIsaac, director of the Pacific Fishery Management Council, said the reason for the decline remains unclear.

But the numbers of chinook or king salmon returning to many other West Coast rivers were also down last year, and scientists suspect the culprit is ocean conditions linked to global warming.

"The implications of a precipitous decline could be substantial for both commercial and recreational fisheries coastwide," McIsaac said, drawing a comparison to 2006, when plummeting Klamath River salmon stocks prompted major fishing cutbacks.

Some environmentalists blamed the troubles on water exports from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, headwaters of the giant aqueducts that funnel water to Southern California.

The Sacramento River's "missing salmon" were juveniles migrating to sea in spring 2005, when state and federal water managers "set records for pumping delta water south," said Mike Sherwood, an attorney with Earthjustice, a nonprofit environmental legal group that has been jousting with water managers over water exports.

McIsaac sent an e-mail late Monday to members of the Pacific Fishery Management Council outlining the steep salmon decline.

Only about 90,000 returning adult salmon were counted in the Central Valley in 2007, the second-lowest number on record and nearly one-tenth the all-time high of more than 800,000 five years ago.

McIsaac said he wanted to give council members "an early alert to what at this point appears to be an unprecedented collapse." Particularly worrisome, he said, is the historic slump in the number of returning 2-year-old salmon, which are used as an indicator of future adult salmon returns. Just 2,000 of the young fish returned to the Sacramento River last year, an all-time low, compared with more than 76,000 in 2004.

The fishery council, which sets annual federal fishing limits on the West Coast, is slated to meet in Sacramento in March to discuss potential restrictions, with a final decision in April. The salmon season typically begins in May.

eric.bailey@latimes.com
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-me-salmon30jan30,0,7454206.story

pax vobiscum +

47 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 11:50:37 (permalink)
    Bug,now I know why wild Salmon is $27/lb at Wegmans.

How's it going?We're getting ice/rain here and it's coming down heavy,good day to stay inside and work on taxes.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 11:58:51 (permalink)
    pafisher,

It is pretty messy right now, rain and freezing rain.  Tonight they are predicting freezing rain and snow.  I agree it is a good day to stay inside, but I hate doing taxes....  I think I will tie a few flies instead.  Maybe take a nap later...

pax vobiscum +
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 13:26:34 (permalink)
    U can't go wrong w tying and flies and taking a nap!  I'm gonna do the same!!

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 16:19:59 (permalink)
    "But the numbers of chinook or king salmon returning to many other West Coast rivers were also down last year, and scientists suspect the culprit is ocean conditions linked to global warming."

lol of course the hippies had to blame global warming on that.

HOW BOUT OVER FISHING BY LARGE FISHING BOATS?
    Sea Lice ? Putting up Dams every 25 miles? Poor water quality from Businesses dumping waste?

nope lets blame global warming.

Thats why in 1973 the record high for Johnstown in Feb was 75 degrees and Its currently in the 30s oh no its Global warming.

thank you Al Gore whats next Man-bear-pig spotted in Colorado?

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 16:50:13 (permalink)
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 17:50:20 (permalink)
    "lol of course the hippies had to blame global warming on that."

Understand Kyler that the debate about whether or not global warming is happening is over...the debate revolves around what the causes are...so...the hippies and a couple hundred million other people generally accept that global warming is having an affect on many aspects of our world. 
    Having said that, I'm positive that the major problem is the diversion of water from the Sacramento.  This all comes down to federal decisions based on water allotments.  This has decimated certain stocks in Oregon and Washington, not to mention that fact that the federal governemnt now counts stocked fish the same as wild fish, thus, removing many river systems from various federal protections.
    This issue is extremely serious as our natural, renewable resources are one of the reasons this country is so strong.  Not to mention the fact that there are thousands of fishermen whose families depend on these stocks of fish. The asian market is probably partly to blame, as you stated, but we need to do a much better job of protecting our natural resources, at all costs.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/01 18:20:51 (permalink)
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 02:51:04 (permalink)
    i accpet global warming. buts its not something news its been happening for ages. If something goes wrong dont blame that.

basically what they are saying bout the salmon is kinda like if we said "theres fewer white tail deer in PA now then there was 20 years ago."

Remember this country isnt no longer trying to survive on Steel mills those days Acid rain was an every day thing. Now the reason fish, deer, or any other species that Humans are over harvesting are causing numbers to decrease. Not the global average temp raising 1 degree.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 07:42:26 (permalink)
    "Some environmentalists blamed the troubles on water exports from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, headwaters of the giant aqueducts that funnel water to Southern California"

My guess it that this is a pretty good bet as to the cause of the collapse of the fishery.  Put on top of that sea lice, over fishing and perhaps global climate change to some degree.  Most environmental problems are usually more complicated than we usually believe.

pax vobiscum +
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 08:20:53 (permalink)
    What about overprotecting walrus', seals, killer whales, etc.????
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 09:32:53 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         It simply amazes me that an area facing severe water shortages would allow the "development" that is going on to continue.  If water is in such short supply, WHY are they still allowing golf course communities to be built?  If you have ever flown in over certain parts of Cali. and looked down it is golf course after course. and rampant development.  Of course since the housing crash maybe that has slowed down.  But I still can't see the short-sightedness that would allow such development to occur.  It's a freeking desert!  They suck so much out of the Colorado that there is almost none reaching the ocean and what WAS a beautiful delta area 100 years ago is now an alkaline wastland.   But thats OK I guess cause it's in Mexico.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 10:23:06 (permalink)
    indsguiz one word - MONEY.  I watched uncontrolled development destroy my home town and surrounding area.  I am currently watching it destroy the area where my mom lives.  Developers do add to the economy, create jobs, increase the cash flow, etc... but so do drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes.  When you worship money, you really don't care about the path of destruction you leave in your wake.  We will reap what we sow.  It is harvest time and now we are seeing the results of our actions.

pax vobiscum +
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 10:46:01 (permalink)
    Everyone knows the INTERNET is ruining it...or is that video....not sure...confused now...you know...gps coordinates - pictures - reports - yeah INTERNET -hope they do not post fishing spots up there....

Chaos Theory Rules the day.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 12:16:52 (permalink)
    Developers are only giving the people what they want,no one forces you to golf,buy a McMansion,etc.There's too many people,and more being produced every day.Don't take this wrong because I too am one,and managed to produce one,just stating the obvious.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/02 16:14:45 (permalink)
    Resource depletion, over development, overpopulation and man made climate change....we are in trouble. Something IS going to give if we continue business as usual.

When the Earth shakes off a few billion of us by famine, disease and war over resources, the Earth will return to a more balanced environment.  Thats what is so disturbing WE will pay the price, yet are resistant to do something about it, and very few care or realize the implications of our actions.

These kind of stories will increase in the coming years....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/03 15:51:27 (permalink)
    Global warming is hooey if one is considering anything other than the proven fluctuations in temperature that have been occuring naturally since the beginning of time. The problem with the current usage of "Global Warming" is that it is loaded with anti-religious, anti-human sentiment.

Yes, we do need to practice more careful care of our environment, but the current, natural warming cycle (look up the historical temperature charts) is being used as a weapon by globalists against individualists, capitalists and freedom in general.  

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/03 15:59:12 (permalink)
    It's the speed of the warming that has me concerned, its not taking 10, 000, 5,000 or even 1,000 years..this is gonna happen in the span of one human lifetime.

Mcluvin, you talk like we have nothing to do with it, and that is wrong. As I said before we are going to be the ones to pay the price.

Oh, and explain to me how "Global Warming" is anti-religious????  Scientist are blaming man, you are the one blaming God....

GreeneGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 11:19:34 (permalink)
    I would say it is a combination of overfishing and the water being rerouted into developements.  As far as global warming is concerned, I would say that is is happening, but there is nothing we can do to reverse it.  Yes, the earth fluxuates temps in cycles, but I'd say that maybe we kicked started it in the last century and a half with the fossil fuel burning we do.  As far as overpopulation is concerned, the smartest professor I have every met said that there is no doubt with the travel that people do, something huge will come out of rural china that will take care of that.  Bummer....
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 12:20:03 (permalink)
    " Oh, and explain to me how "Global Warming" is anti-religious????  Scientist are blaming man, you are the one blaming God...."

What I said specifically was this: "The problem with the current usage of "Global Warming" is that it is loaded with anti-religious, anti-human sentiment."

There are regular environmental reports blaming ecological problems not on the misuse of resources, but on the very presence of humanity. To be anit-human is to be anti-God since God created people and loves humanity.

Adventures with Fish
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 15:14:33 (permalink)
    Interesting, I never heard any scientist blame the mere presence of the human animal as a cause of global warming. I have only heard theories based on scientific data regarding the emission of greenhouse gasses by man as the cause for the recent global climate change.

If you would post some of those regular reports blaming the existence of man on the planet for the current change in climate, I'd like to read them...Thanks

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 15:21:08 (permalink)
    Most people of faith view the world as God's creation.  It is then our job to be good stewards of God's creation and not exploit it.  At one point in history we depended on wood as our sole source of fuel to burn for warmth, and cooking.  Later we discovered coal and eventually oil.  We also decided we could industrialize our enterprises and with the industrial revolution we needed even more fuel.  Little care was given to the environment and the consequences of our actions.  Pollution and environmental degradation was seen as part of progress; a price to pay to modernize the world.  We almost drown in our own waste, but with time it became apparent things needed to change.  We are still correcting the mistakes our parents and grandparents made and our children will have to deal with the mess we leave behind.

Today we have the technology to conserve energy, and to exploit a variety of renewable energy sources that do much less damage to the environment.  There is little need to continue using oil or coal as energy sources.  It may cost more, but the environment will suffer less and in the long run we will be passing onto our children a better world.

For me as a person of faith, respect and love for the planet earth is no different than the respect we should show to one another.

As for the impact of human activities on the climate, only a person who does not understand the basics of biology, geology, chemistry, physics and meteorology would say human activity has no effect on the climate.  The evidence for human activity altering the climate is overwhelming.  To say human activity is responsible for all of the changes we are seeing in the climate is equally naive.  The debate among serious scientists is not whether humans have a hand in the global climate change, but it is to what extent.  There is also debate as to whether there is anything we can do about it.

The one thing that is certain is the climate is changing and unless we start to realize that and prepare ourselves for the anticipated changes, we will be in a world of hurt.

pax vobiscum +
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 15:26:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: GreeneGuy

I would say it is a combination of overfishing and the water being rerouted into developements.  As far as global warming is concerned, I would say that is is happening, but there is nothing we can do to reverse it.  Yes, the earth fluxuates temps in cycles, but I'd say that maybe we kicked started it in the last century and a half with the fossil fuel burning we do.  As far as overpopulation is concerned, the smartest professor I have every met said that there is no doubt with the travel that people do, something huge will come out of rural china that will take care of that.  Bummer....

Green, I agree and disagree with you

I think you are right on the money with the salmon problem. Misuse of freshwater resources, I'll bet, is the leading culprit in the salmon collapse.

I disagree, however, with your view on the climate change. You say we "kick started it" then why would you say we can't do nothing about it.....I think we can, but some just will not do anything to help bring about a change in our daily practices.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 15:31:06 (permalink)
    Well put Bug.

"There is also debate as to whether there is anything we can do about it."

I think the debate is more about are we willing to do anything about it.... 

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 15:37:25 (permalink)
    What most people don't want to hear about Global Warming is that they may have to actually change their lifestyles or that it may affect capitalism in our country. 

This country was built on sacrafice by everyone, but it has grown fat and cumbersome  with the sacrafice of the few and on the discipline that we need to exploit ideas that were discovered 100 years ago and continue to build our empire around a model that is fast growning outdated. Money in our capitalist society is consolidated in positions of power. One of those positions is the energy companies and you can bet they don't want to give up their strangelhold.

Say what you want about global warming, but it doesn't change the fact that fossil fuels and the internal combustion engine as we know it are fast becoming dinosaurs. We need every edge we can get to develop alternate energy sources. It is a matter of national security and global security. 
    keneyeam
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 20:16:03 (permalink)
    Toe-

It's a shame leaders of this country dump money into wars and agencies like NASA.  NASA seems to be trying to find a planet to run to when we finish soiling this one.

Any chance all those fires have denuded areas that are now eroading soil into west coast streams?  I wonder.

The next leader should refocus all the scientists at NASA on finding a "Zero" emmission engine for transportation and otherwise prepare to cloan the last king salmon to someday return to California waters. 

The Pacific Ocean has had a dramatic increase in CO2 adsorbed.  This has adjusted the waters pH and plankton productivity.  I would not be supprised if this has something to do with the aquatic foodchain out there.

We have blamed forest regeneration on overpopulation of deer in Pennsylvana's big woods for years.  There are much less deer now then ever, so I'm sure the walrus, seals, and whales are to be blamed out west, cause it would never be our fault. 

PA's soils are acidifing as a result of NOX and Sulfur emissions, killing adult trees, and limiting regrowth to acid tollerant species.  It's not the deer, there are not enough animials.

Somewhere in the good book in Isaah it notes something on the order of "Woe unto the who places house to house and field to field until there be no place left". 

Woe 

Go well, do well.

tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 20:39:39 (permalink)
    What the heck do you know fishboy!!!!

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 20:43:41 (permalink)
    Keney,

Due to the very nature of the challenges it faces in it's missions, many of the solutions WILL come from NASA. Safer more effective use of hydrgen, solar power, and other energy sources, are integral parts of their efforts.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 22:00:44 (permalink)
    I can see it now, electric nascar races. Rowboats only, with 6 batteries for his trolling motor.Electric trains to transport you to work. The wave to get us out of the warming.

luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    RE: Salmon collapse could force fishing restrictions 2008/02/04 23:34:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Interesting, I never heard any scientist blame the mere presence of the human animal as a cause of global warming. I have only heard theories based on scientific data regarding the emission of greenhouse gasses by man as the cause for the recent global climate change.

If you would post some of those regular reports blaming the existence of man on the planet for the current change in climate, I'd like to read them...Thanks

I didn't actually say in my response that scientists were saying this, but if memory serves, there have been many scientists whose personal opinion was that humans should be limited in their spread in order to stop the human effect on earth, rather than develop solutions involving people.

Most scientific studies which I've seen that actually give facts and figures researched over centuries deny the phenomena which many today are calling Global Warming.

Here is one of the troubling stories that has come out:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/07/24/scigwarming124.xml

Here is an interesting debate with some good links.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070125114234AAxhwWE

I'm not on my home computer and am a bit pressed for time so I regret only offering these two. I want to thank you for the civil debate though. I respect that. A lot of people get pretty hyped when someone disagrees with them, but I'm open to being proven wrong by a civil person with better evidence than mine! :)

Adventures with Fish
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: