Meeting Wednesday

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/04 22:00:48 (permalink)

Meeting Wednesday

So I hear there is a meeting Wednesday at 1830 at the hatchery to discuss stocking next year. From what I hear it is only open to guides and business owners only....................

Guessing they will be cutting stocking in the future years.............
FWIW I am almost glad as it will cut traffic and azzhattery down............
You may want to hold off on that new boat HT

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

10 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 07:52:51 (permalink)
    Sounds like something is going to change

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 09:49:05 (permalink)
    Well after poking around it seems they are going to advise a reduction of salmon stocking .

Bodhi
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 09:52:08 (permalink)
    Lake Michigan just did the same thing to let prey populations build back up. 
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 10:04:41 (permalink)
    I may try to go up if I feel like it, maybe they will let me in.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 10:25:57 (permalink)
    Its easy to understand why they are talking to the local folks with a vested fiscal interest in the fishery first.
    Of course its not a secret and obvious whatever the story is it will be out immediately.
    Actually am kind of happy to hear of the meeting- many answers of direction and the state of the fishery over the next few years may come of it.
    Speculation stinks and to KNOW whats up is half the battle in dealing with the reality- whatever it may be.
    Folks here will continue to fish no matter if its a banner season or a poor one- and we will enjoy it because we are sportsmen and sportswomen.
    We know that a great experience has nothing to do with how heavy your game bag is at the end of the day.
    Thanks for the 'heads up' Clint.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/05 10:28:29
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/05 17:51:27 (permalink)
    yep, I'll make it up if all I catch is fallfish :)

wishin i was fishin
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/15 16:33:34 (permalink)
    Sorry I deleted the previous remarks but I'm getting a kick outta a site where those that live so far away know so much and those that live so close know little about the fishery on the Great Lake..
    Yea L~13,
    keep your friends close and enemies even closer .. LOL..
    Have fun out there in the ADK's..

Great Lakes Adventure to continue after I pick another round in the garden :) 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/15 18:43:21 (permalink)
    x
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/08/15 20:54:42
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/15 19:12:32 (permalink)
    It's not how far away , it's how far outta touch is the meaning

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Meeting Wednesday 2016/08/16 09:32:19 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I get all the drift here, but I've been in the woods for a couple of weeks.  I was not informed about a hatchery meeting, but I am involved with the Stakeholder's group for the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, so I've heard much of this.  I have not posted a lot of the discussion as that was the request of the GLFC and OMNR and NYSDEC staffers, only when we have been ok'd to communicate something from a meeting (mainly long conference calls) have I posted it.

The legal agreement that Clint has referred to is the Fish Community Objectives for Lake Ontario, and there was significant public input to the document.  It can be found on the Great Lakes Fishery Commission website. http://www.glfc.org/.  On the far right in the row of green tabs is one labelled Boards and Committees.  Click on that, choose the Lake Ontario Committee and then scroll down to Fish Community Objectives 2013, the full document is there.  As has been stated, both the United states and Canada have made a commitment to keep the King as the top level pelagic predator, and the Lake Trout as the benthic predator. 

Another important document in this discussion is the Lake Ontario Lakewide Action and Management Plan (LAMP), which is summarized at http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/92335.html.  I believe the emphasis on Native Species (Lake Trout and Atlantic Salmon) comes from that plan.  But as Clint points out, if the goal of the managers was to eliminate the kings, the best course of action now would be to do nothing, as the numbers of kings put out there would crash the alewife, likely beyond recovery, at which point native species rehabilitation should be possible, although maybe not in my remaining lifetime.  
    Jump to: