Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Silverbullet_11
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2016/07/20 08:33:39 (permalink)

DSR

I was wondering about the DSR and if it's worth it to pay the extra money to get access to these waters?  I used to fish Erie quite a bit, but never made it up your way to fish the NY waters.  I have always wanted to in my younger days, but never made it up.   I moved back to Central PA last year after 10 years in the Army and found out after one trip to Erie last fall, that crowds and I just don't get along anymore.  I guess you can say my patience level for "combat fishing" and disrespectful individuals has been broken after years of living out west. Probably going up the last week in September and I understand that there are 250 passes so I won't be alone, but hoping it will be better than finding public access areas and trying to inch in to find a few runs to drift??  Any insight would be very valuable and I appreciate it in advance. 

-Scott
post edited by Silverbullet_11 - 2016/07/20 08:34:59

32 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: DSR 2016/07/20 08:54:30 (permalink)
    When you add in guides and season pass holders there may be more than 250 -but-- its a great place if a run occurs while you are there- nothing like it.
    Some days there are hundreds, if not thousands, of fish splashing upriver for long periods of time. It can be nuts.
    Havent fished it in a long time as I had the luxury of being on the river very often -things have changed and its on my bucket list this season.
    Call and reserve early because they frequently sell out.
    Also look into afternoon passes- I seem to recall they are available- might be worth a shot if the  regular passes are not available.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/07/20 08:56:45
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: DSR 2016/07/20 09:39:43 (permalink)
    Also be aware that even with the limited numbers, the choke points and holding and taking  places can still get crowded.  But as RG says, it can be something to see, and it is not as zooey as the town pools just upstream.
    Silverbullet_11
    New Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/20 10:12:05 (permalink)
     That's great info guys, I really appreciate it.  I am pretty much set on this being the route I am going to take. I just looked at the pass allocation, and wow, I better pull the trigger quick as what seems to be the peak time is already 65% sold out.   I have never been up there, so I was hoping to come a day early and maybe grab an afternoon pass to at least get a good look at the water.  I hate not being prepared and knowing the area around me! 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: DSR 2016/07/20 12:41:31 (permalink)
    Last week in Sept/should be prime,buuuut you never know as the fish don't hold in the DSR as it's just the highway to the upper river and the spawning grounds.There could be many or few depending on how you "hit it".I used to fish the DSR but when it became expensive I bagged it as I can find plenty of fish that week at my private spot that has no fee to fish it.
    I'll be up there that week and would be happy to show you around,I'm a OLD Army veteran and don't mind doing a favor for a YOUNG Army vet,send me a PM here and we can make arrangements to get together.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: DSR 2016/07/20 20:02:11 (permalink)
    Like the rest said, but  be ready to bag it and take the loss and move up river. The last few years the few fish that came through just stormed past especially at night  It was only a few here and a few there and then none............

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 08:09:46 (permalink)
    My last day in the DSR, 10/5/15, I walked out by 9 am. I couldn't take it anymore. I drove 7 hrs. straight to the coast and saved our vacation, striper fishing on deserted beaches.  Some walking up in the "free zone" can get you into far less crowds, but maybe less fish. I would seriously consider talking to pafisher and others and re-consider the DSR. Wait to you pay the hefty fee and have some azzhat jump in front of you with  there snag rig and azzhook  something. Or cast over your line when you have a fish on.   If they are running by the hundreds, there's some room to spread out. if not, the fish holed up in deeper spots are going to create combat fishing as bad as the easy  stretches, upriver. The past 3 years, I fished the San Juan in New Mexico, which is very crowded for a western river. Never had an incident, never felt like raising my voice. Just a warning. I lived in the west also, and travel back every year.  I've had some good times in the DSR, but one friend in particular made it that way, alone has been pretty disappointing.  Best of luck and thanks for your service.
    post edited by fichy - 2016/07/21 08:15:37
    Silverbullet_11
    New Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 13:43:35 (permalink)
    My brothers still live in Green River, WY and what a totally different world.  I was definitely spoiled out there, and unfortunately it has **** near ruined fishing around here for me.  I used to love going to Erie from 1999-2002, but this last year was just pathetic.  We walked for miles and tried different access points.  Seems like the fish (What few were there) had more fisherman surrounding them than were actual fish in the run. I am by no mean a pro, but I can hold my own, and in 2 days I caught one fish.  We used to catch dozens back in the day no problem, and rarely ran into the idiots that I witnessed on that trip. I would rather catch one fish and be semi-secluded than catch 15 and have to worry about people riding on my shoulders.   Thanks for the tip for sure!  I got hooked up with PA Fisher and it seems like we have a lot in common and hopefully that pans out!   
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 14:24:31 (permalink)
    Last year was very poor for everything on the Salmon River also.  12 days on the river from late October through mid December yielded 4 hits and two to hand for me, poorest results in years.  Things are looking better based on reports from the Lake for this year.  But solitude is not something that is easy to find anywhere on the tribs, expect to have at least some company, and a steady stream of boats as well if you fish upriver.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 14:47:56 (permalink)
    Silverbullet_11
    My brothers still live in Green River, WY and what a totally different world.  I was definitely spoiled out there, and unfortunately it has **** near ruined fishing around here for me.  I used to love going to Erie from 1999-2002, but this last year was just pathetic.  We walked for miles and tried different access points.  Seems like the fish (What few were there) had more fisherman surrounding them than were actual fish in the run. I am by no mean a pro, but I can hold my own, and in 2 days I caught one fish.  We used to catch dozens back in the day no problem, and rarely ran into the idiots that I witnessed on that trip. I would rather catch one fish and be semi-secluded than catch 15 and have to worry about people riding on my shoulders.   Thanks for the tip for sure!  I got hooked up with PA Fisher and it seems like we have a lot in common and hopefully that pans out!   

Fishing the Seeskadee NWR, Fontenelle, and the area just above Rock Springs, let alone Pinedale and up to the Lakes spoiled me too!  I might come and fish with you guys, Jack is certainly a great guy to fish with, I've netted a bunch for him.
    post edited by fichy - 2016/07/21 14:50:27
    Silverbullet_11
    New Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 15:49:29 (permalink)
    Fichy- My brothers ranch is right below Seedskadee!  It is right across from the OCI Plant along the Green River.  I know that whole area very very well..  I actually just got off the phone with Jack, and he sounds like a really good guy.  I will absolutely be making the trip and that would be great if you join us! 
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 17:36:34 (permalink)
    I caught a monster  brown 100 feet below  the bridge to OCI.   Local UPS  guy told me about that stretch  when we were waiting in line at the Taco Time in Rock Springs.  They use to let you park where they kept a pump and their  water truck. The UPS guy saw our vehicle and pulled in to say hello just after I let it go.  I LOVE WYOMING, but especially the Green.  I was gonna fish with Jack, anyway, now I'm definitely heading out when you're there.   I have to call Jack- he picks up my yearly lead shot supply.  
    Silverbullet_11
    New Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 17:55:33 (permalink)
    Now you're scaring me!! That bridge and pump station is right on my brothers ranch. The ranch house was probably 300 yards from where you caught that Brown. If you would have walked downstream about 400 yards, there is a bend that produces trout that you only see in movies. The bank is stacked with old cars that were my brothers wife grandfathers. Probably 20 feet deep in there. Small World!
    post edited by Silverbullet_11 - 2016/07/21 18:00:13
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 19:17:49 (permalink)
    Silverbullet_11
     I was wondering about the DSR and if it's worth it to pay the extra money to get access to these waters?  I used to fish Erie quite a bit, but never made it up your way to fish the NY waters.  I have always wanted to in my younger days, but never made it up.   I moved back to Central PA last year after 10 years in the Army and found out after one trip to Erie last fall, that crowds and I just don't get along anymore.  I guess you can say my patience level for "combat fishing" and disrespectful individuals has been broken after years of living out west. Probably going up the last week in September and I understand that there are 250 passes so I won't be alone, but hoping it will be better than finding public access areas and trying to inch in to find a few runs to drift??  Any insight would be very valuable and I appreciate it in advance. 

-Scott

I started fishing steelhead in Erie...Once I discovered the SR, I never fished Erie again....I live in Cincinnati and Erie is the halfway point for me.  The DSR is worth it for solitude sake.  
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 21:01:25 (permalink)
    Hey Chartist do you ever fish the Ohio tribs for Steel,since you live there I would think you would as they have some great rivers that I have fished?
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 21:03:11 (permalink)
    fichy
    I caught a monster  brown 100 feet below  the bridge to OCI.   Local UPS  guy told me about that stretch  when we were waiting in line at the Taco Time in Rock Springs.  They use to let you park where they kept a pump and their  water truck. The UPS guy saw our vehicle and pulled in to say hello just after I let it go.  I LOVE WYOMING, but especially the Green.  I was gonna fish with Jack, anyway, now I'm definitely heading out when you're there.   I have to call Jack- he picks up my yearly lead shot supply.  

Give me a yell Charlie or just post your lead shopping list here,I'll fill it for you.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/21 21:10:14 (permalink)
    pafisher
    Hey Chartist do you ever fish the Ohio tribs for Steel,since you live there I would think you would as they have some great rivers that I have fished?

I fish the Rocky River in April, down near the marina....It was pretty good last spring but not as good as years past.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 10:06:21 (permalink)
    Silverbullet_11
    Fichy- My brothers ranch is right below Seedskadee!  It is right across from the OCI Plant along the Green River.  I know that whole area very very well..  I actually just got off the phone with Jack, and he sounds like a really good guy.  I will absolutely be making the trip and that would be great if you join us! 

Scott,one thing we did n't talk about was foot gear.I hope you have studded wading boots as they are a must on the SR,that river is loaded with slippery rocks and is almost impossible to wade without studs!
    Silverbullet_11
    New Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 12:20:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for checking with me Jack. I have a new pair of corkers at the house that "supposedly'" go over my wading boots. I will definitely be trying them prior. One thing I am is overly prepared on all trips and always plan for every variable, thanks to Uncle Sam. Drives the wife crazy!!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 13:37:34 (permalink)
    Corkers do the job but they are heavy and can slip off if you get in mud,been there done that,but you won't see much mud on the SR.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 14:41:24 (permalink)
    Use deck screws through the heels of the corkers into the heels of your wading shoes, and replace the laces with Ropes, at least on the old style sandals, they stay on a LOT better.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 15:18:45 (permalink)
    studs or not, a wading staff is a must.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: DSR 2016/07/22 17:30:23 (permalink)
    Pretty neat that you folks have some history together on fishing grounds and otherwise..  Pafisher is the master of salmon fishing that I know of on this board, everyone could learn from that man and couldn't ask for a finer person . All folks that I have fished with so far have been good people , think you would fit right in.
    As to your question about DSR.
    Absolutely to me is one of the best wadeable and diverse sections to fish . Aprox, - 2 miles of opportunity to explore..
    All above responses have been accurate. This is just mine to add..
    To me I would chose that section above all on the river for salmon ( not so much trout )  if things were equal ,heck who wouldn't  & it once was,  and chaos ..
    I'm not a big fan of pay to play for stream side angling but no matter what, entertainment cost $$ so I dug into the pocket for season access until it was no longer attainable ..  It was great but by no means are other areas not at given times..  I could , & have posted pictures and video of some spectacular days on free water for all species, as have other folks, we live and learn..
    What I can add is to not get discouraged about trying the dsr and timing.. It's pretty easy to stay in an area that holds fish and anglers , yes those not so anglers too, but if the fishing or people get frustrating then go EXPLORE..
    It's a lot of transition water with small holding eddies,.. From there you will hopefully see and learn the migrating habits of the fishery and apply that in other areas in the future.. That will also help you get away from upriver  crowing ..  Comets and Bunnies are go to flies in that fresh outta the lake..
    Good luck and hope to see you on the river
    Rich

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 09:41:47 (permalink)
    pafisher
    Corkers do the job but they are heavy and can slip off if you get in mud,been there done that,but you won't see much mud on the SR.

=======================================================================================

Hello...?  Somebody holler for me?          Sorry..... 

Enjoying the read fella's, sure is bringing back some fond memories of fishing my local trout streams in days gone by.  Except back then, we couldn't afford waders and things like corkers but I sure do remember them slippery rocks and the awakening cold baths that followed.

Heck I even remember conversations taking place when a local would find a stranger fishin' in the wrong place.  Even back then there was threats to open a can of 'whoop-asz', with one or both, forgetting they was standing on mossy rocks. 

Keep the good reads coming; Tight lines and good times.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 14:22:09 (permalink)
    When first fishing the 'dsr'-there was no 'dsr' we just parked on the road and stumbled in at o dark 30 and tried to miss the ravines.
    There were good runs back then and I couldn't believe the numbers of Kings-
    Catching was another story- we used our salt water gear with huge rods and reels and big test lines- big fish right???
    Using the 2o lb  leader number one hooks and little rubber green  beads and big weights - all suggested by the local tackle shop -we pretty much caught nothing.
    We didn't know it then but we had been sold the 'snaggers delight' gear and told 'they don't bite'.
    Later the DSR came into being and at about $5 a day it was well worth it with stairs on the high spots and parking and a real porta pottie.
    I also geared down and dumped the spinning gear for fly equipment. Learned to be a very 'artfull lifter'. After a while if I could see it I could generally get it-- 'right in ( or near) the mouth'.
    After time- and with the help of the boards -this one in particular- with so many being helpful on tips and gear- I became a fisherman and happy with one or two here and there that BIT instead of regular lifts or snags -in good times from dawn till dark.
    Not that on a slow fish filled day upriver the occasional lift doesn't occur.
    By intent or accident with so many in some pools they DO get it on a tail of fin now and again. The inside of the mouth however is GREAT- especially in those conditions when ya can see it happen.
    Just a tip -those big #1 hooks when actually 'FISHING' can be very counter productive.
    Many of my feathers have #8 or #6 with great results- especially upriver.
    Low river  early more aggressive fishes can be had with big colorful feathers or bunnys with #4 but up river they seem a waste to wary skittish fishes..
    Just my way----

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/07/24 23:52:18
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 15:09:13 (permalink)
    Pensfan,
    All good responses to the question asked were given from folks that have fished there and their experiences . It's not every thread that skids off the road but sometimes it's just that other car comes along and sends you in the ditch .

Silver : Scott ,
    As said there are very good folks on this board and every single one I chose to associate with has taught me invaluable information , and that's coming from someone ( myself ) who has been on the river every season for over 35 years .
    Take the time to learn from the likes of Fichy ( Charlie ) , pafisher ( Jack ), rg ( Trevor ) , Clint ( yes Clint , lol ) and Dimebright ( Andy ) when he can ever find the time to waste at a computer , 3fan ( John ) .
    L-13 ( Charlie ) is an enclyopedia about the Great Lakes but it seems he and twobob have chosen a new path to travel along in cyber space .

It's the folks above that are needed to help this forum and hopefully yourself .
    The bs comes with the territory in which I see we have a drake trolling :(
    Thankfully it seems the site owners have taken measures to control that , yes censorship at its best , and will not allow any new members to post until approval has been given !!

Note to FishUSA ,
    Fichyfilthyhippy is most likely a troll who has been previously banned !!
    This is your site and not our personal playground

Peace & Tuna :
    Rich
    post edited by hot tuna - 2016/07/24 15:11:20

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 15:19:55 (permalink)
    In 1-1/2 to 2 miles of water, the DSR offers the best diversity of water.  You want fast runs, deep holes above fast runs, it has it all.  It's worth every penny.  I won't fish Erie anymore partly because of the behavior.  It's combat fishing like nothing you'll see anywhere.  Erie has a problem, the rivers don't have dams at their heads and so they run dry trapping the steelhead in small pools which become a snagger's paradise.  The steelhead numbers are way down, yet some guys take 3 out on a stringer daily. Some litter take a dump in view of houses, it's bad.  Sure, I voiced my disdain then decided it wasn't worth it as the SR is just 300 more miles to the north.   
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 18:28:42 (permalink)
    Hey Silver--- Just a tip--
    Before you come up to Sr country you will likely be reading fishing reports and going nuts waiting for the trip- we all do it.
    BEWARE of the doubletalk--lol.
    Many with a vested interest in the fiscal factors surrounding the Sr and some with limited experience or who just snag everything in front of them can give a real bright picture of modest ( at best) conditions.
    Small pockets of fish are often referred to as big runs and a few in the rivers estuary or staged in front of the rivers mouth are often referred to a 'big' pods about to enter the river that very night. Just as often they wait days or a week or more before running.
    Some wonder if its all just to get folks to drop everything and run to the river- buy a room,equipment and food or even a river guide etc---
    As one who fished about weekly over the past number of years and who starts in August and fishes till ice and snow time- and a bit after that too-- have been there many times in poor to modest fishing only to come home and read of GREAT things happening.
    That stuff brings folks up fast - only to be discouraged- unless they actually do hit some.
    You have plans--don't change them over reports.
    If its a good trip you will likely do a second one- lol. ( and quickly)
    HUGGGE runs down low just mean better fishing up river for a longtime after.

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/07/24 18:56:46
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 19:07:08 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Pensfan,
    All good responses to the question asked were given from folks that have fished there and their experiences . It's not every thread that skids off the road but sometimes it's just that other car comes along and sends you in the ditch .

Silver : Scott ,
    As said there are very good folks on this board and every single one I chose to associate with has taught me invaluable information , and that's coming from someone ( myself ) who has been on the river every season for over 35 years .
    Take the time to learn from the likes of Fichy ( Charlie ) , pafisher ( Jack ), rg ( Trevor ) , Clint ( yes Clint , lol ) and Dimebright ( Andy ) when he can ever find the time to waste at a computer , 3fan ( John ) .
    L-13 ( Charlie ) is an enclyopedia about the Great Lakes but it seems he and twobob have chosen a new path to travel along in cyber space .

It's the folks above that are needed to help this forum and hopefully yourself .
    The bs comes with the territory in which I see we have a drake trolling :(
    Thankfully it seems the site owners have taken measures to control that , yes censorship at its best , and will not allow any new members to post until approval has been given !!

Note to FishUSA ,
    Fichyfilthyhippy is most likely a troll who has been previously banned !!
    This is your site and not our personal playground

Peace & Tuna :
    Rich

Don't know if that is a compliment or a dig ;0).   Either way I will take it because the folks I was mentioned with are top notch and have forgotten more than I will know. 
    Jack I have a wedding that weekend , but will see what I can do about taking a another day off that week
    Rich it's a go for that day
    Andy has been busy with the most important thing there is to live for and is doing fine.
    post edited by Clint S - 2016/07/24 19:11:30

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: DSR 2016/07/24 22:08:09 (permalink)
    Does that mean Andys out Deer hunting already ???
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: