Some healing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Some healing 2016/06/12 15:47:21 (permalink)
Gerry, did you go? Cornwall Bridge is an absolutely beautiful stretch of water. I've only fished it in the winter. Hope the streamers produced for you.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Some healing 2016/06/13 11:42:05 (permalink)
Fichy, No fishing this weekend.  A family member passed away Friday so I changed my plans.  
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Some healing 2016/06/13 21:38:59 (permalink)
troutbum21
Fichy, No fishing this weekend.  A family member passed away Friday so I changed my plans.  

Sorry to hear that, hope you get 'em when you can.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: Some healing 2016/06/18 20:59:51 (permalink)
I fished the Housatonic in Cornwall CT from 6:30 until after dark this past Thursday.  I went three for four on nice chunky browns and added one dink smallmouth.  The action didn't start until about 20 minutes before last light.  A whole lot of slurping going on as the light faded but I finally called it a day around 9:05 PM.  All fish were taken on a size 14 light Cahill.  As I left the stream I observed (with the help of a flashlight) a good caddis hatch, either tan or zebra caddis (Alder's).  Hope to hit the waters again tomorrow or Monday night.  Tight lines everyone.   
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Some healing 2016/08/28 10:08:35 (permalink)
I coerced Uglyfish (Wayne ) to try  some SW fly fishing. After some practice on the Hudson with shooting heads, bigger guns, and weighted flies, he gave it a go. We went over to the coast and spent 3 tides on the beach and marsh and a day in a boat with a great guide/friend fishing the waves crashing on rocks.  He did well, as did I, and hopefully he's got the Davy Jones Jones, now. We put up some good numbers, but no fish over 28". Still had lots of hard pulls.  Interesting fact: The coast north of Boston and beyond has a large number of 1 year old fish that are providing fairly constant action for light tackle. RI was flooded with them in the Spring. Biologists from various universities conducting striper studies have confirmed that they are Hudson River fish and migrating far beyond what was considered their normal range of migration. Chesapeake fish are known to travel as far as Nova Scotia (they have this year) , but Hudson fish are more homebodies and have historically occupied LI and NJ. They are applauding the DEC for imposing the slot limit.  Though many are angry with the slot limit and  mishandle stripers on the release, they are NOT trout, and  in fact are very tough fish. Bleeding gills does not mean a dead fish, as the radio tracked fish have proven numerous times. I've fished for the biologists with a friend who is hired to provide  fish for them and stripers that have been hooked deep have a fairly good survival rate. This is as good a note as I've seen in 10 years , as far as the striper fishery goes. It certainly gives me more confidence in the decisions that will be made concerning the lake. Not the same people, but the same agency, with the same  overall goals . Give credit where credit is due.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Some healing 2016/08/28 12:14:51 (permalink)
Well done guys !!
Does the slot apply to the salt as well ?
The ones I see released and one from my boat were floaters

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Some healing 2016/08/28 19:20:47 (permalink)
No, apparently many of the river slot fish are surviving and spawning.  These fish are from last Spring's crop, and '16's should be even better. I suspect the  20-25 % the Hudson fish represent on the Eastern seaboard may go up a few ticks. Some may be floaters, but it may be, ones taken home AND the released floaters take more out of the spawning stocks than just bad releases. . If the population of mature fish  increases, the slot will go away. Right now, the sustainability is an issue. South of the GWB the limit is 1 > 28, as it is in most of New England, now.
post edited by fichy - 2016/08/28 19:42:06
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: