Wolf Creek

Author
andyg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/30 15:04:53 (permalink)

Wolf Creek

I am in my senior year of high school and am considering going to Grove City College to play baseball. I was just wondering if anyone has fished Wolf Creek where it runs close to the campus and if its any good (or holds) for smallies.

17 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 15:41:14 (permalink)
    Andy,

I have spent very little time fishing the campus section, and above, and none since the dam was removed. From E. Main st. down stream clear till it meets SR creek it is an excellent, ( and underutilized ) Smallmouth water. It is also stocked with Trout near GC, and gets Trout that move upstream a ways from SR creek.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 15:48:24 (permalink)
    Andy,

A PS: Grove City is an excellent school, but it, and it's professors are VERY conservative leaning. If you choose GC, be sure to take advantage of learning opportunities outside of campus, to get a more rounded world view.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 15:50:36 (permalink)
    don't know anything about wolf creek andy, but your post reminded me of a buddy i went to high school with.  he went to lock haven to wrestle so he could be near some of the best trout fishing in the east.  he also considered some schools in wyoming.  best of luck to you. 
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 16:25:05 (permalink)
    I've never seen a smallmouth in Wolf Creek around Grove City but there are many stockings of trout in the area of the campus.  Closer to Slippery Rock there are lots of smallies in WC so maybe some have come upstream since the dams were taken out.

I suggest not fishing right at the campus but for you to walk down Greenwood Drive downstream towards the sewage treatment plant for the best fishing. I don't know what comes out of their discharge pipe but the trout love it!!

And, take spoonchuckers advise.  A good campus but intense brainwashing takes place by many professors.  Grove City isn't called Bubble City for nothing.  (Try, for example, having a Democratic party bumper sticker.)  One day I might write a book about the place.

Back to fishing.  If you have transportation there are some nice smallie waterways not too far away such as the Allegheny and French Creek!

(P.S. I nca spell, I just can't type!)
    post edited by kayak99 - 2008/01/30 16:32:10
    andyg
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 17:45:21 (permalink)
    thanks for all the responses. I've heard about the extreme uncollegelike rules and close minded views of GCC, but the only reason i'm considereing it is 1)its a good price 2) i can play baseball there and 3)there may be some creek smallie fishing nearby, which is probably my favorite type of fishing and some would say the only kind i'm remotely good at. The other schools i'm considering are Duquesne and Pitt which are a bit more pricey, wouldn't allow me to play baseball, and also only offer shore river fishing at best, unless i can talk my dad into loaning me the boat to dock at a downtown marina but it's doubtful. But to be honest Duquesne is the frontrunner now, so I'll have to come home every weekend to fish until i at least have a car on campus which can't be until at least my third year 
    post edited by andyg - 2008/01/30 17:48:01
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 18:59:52 (permalink)
    andy,
    I went to grove city, for a while.  I have also electro fished the section from where the lower dam was (just south of the football stadium) downstream for about 400 yards.  Of the thirty some odd streams we sampled last summer that was the most diverse stream we did.  We got over 34 different species of fish in that stretch.  The dam removal did leave some temporary sediment but a few more good storms and that should be back to normal.  The smallmouth fishing in that area is good, last year seemed to be a down year but there are a lot of fish in that stream.  Good luck.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    eddie spaghetti
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 19:39:39 (permalink)
    Andy,
    I graduated from, and now live in Grove City. Wolf Creek offers a nice opportunity to fish only moments from your dorm. It's not Spring Creek, but you will catch fish. I have caught bass just below the old dam. I stop in the mornings before work sometime just to wet a line. A degree from GCC has opened doors for many people. Don't worry about the so called "brainwashing" – only you can decide what path you will follow in life. The school has a good reputation, it's a good value, and you can fish and play ball if you like. Best of luck no matter what path you may take.
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/30 22:37:29 (permalink)
    Andy, I presently have a son attending (junior) and he loves the school. It is a very good value compared to some of the schools you mentioned. We live two blocks from I.U.P. and would have a difficult time recommending it. It has gone through a lot of changes since I graduated from there and they weren't for the better. Being at GCC puts you in close proximity of some of the best fishing in Pa. Depending on your major you may not be blessed with all the free time you might think you'll have. A friend of mine has a son scheduled to go there and plans on playing baseball too.   Lou
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/31 09:21:51 (permalink)
    Just a thought, not knowing how good of a ball player you are or your transportation situation...  Have you looked at Mansfield?  Good school, great ball team, and really good fishing nearby.
    andyg
    Avid Angler
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/31 15:05:23 (permalink)
    I've gotten a lot of stuff sent from mansfield but never really looked into it because after looking at schools as far away as virginia, i realized that i just don't wanna be that far from home (new castle)
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/31 15:55:37 (permalink)
    Best of luck to you in your endeavors.  One small piece of advice that I would offer (to any young person going out into the world for the first time), make the most of your short time in college, go enjoy yourself and experience what life has to offer.  Never turn down an adventure that you will look back on someday and regret not taking.  College is a lot of work (particularly the first two years), but you will have opportunities to make memories for a lifetime.  Don't pass those up.  Griffon

FYI, Mansfield usually ends up in the D2 World Series and they send a lot of ball players to advanced leagues beyond college.  Also, there is never a lack of students or staff to go fishing/hunting with on your free time (most of the baseball team traditionally).
    post edited by griffon - 2008/01/31 15:58:37
    CREEKTROLL3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/01/31 21:01:47 (permalink)
    Fished wolf cr. all the time. I live in slipperyrock. We have got smallies in every section of the creek. There is a few pike in it too!!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/02/01 09:11:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: andyg

thanks for all the responses. I've heard about the extreme uncollegelike rules and close minded views of GCC, but the only reason i'm considereing it is 1)its a good price 2) i can play baseball there and 3)there may be some creek smallie fishing nearby, which is probably my favorite type of fishing and some would say the only kind i'm remotely good at.

You'll definately satisfy those three areas by going to GCC and you do seem bright enough to make your own decisions concerning some of the other issues you'll run into.

Good luck!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Wolf Creek 2008/02/01 10:31:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kayak99

I suggest not fishing right at the campus but for you to walk down Greenwood Drive downstream towards the sewage treatment plant for the best fishing. I don't know what comes out of their discharge pipe but the trout love it!!

i lived right up the road from greenwood. fished there many a times waiting for my son to get out of school. there are smallmouth and trout and they also throw palomino's in
    there every once in a while.
    try terrestrials along the bank. it has a speratic hendrickson hatch and i've done great with a tan to dark body hendrickson dry, catching both trout and smallmouth. ~dt 
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/02/01 10:33:42

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Randyo1975
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Wolf Creek 2020/10/16 06:56:33 (permalink)
    Yes it holds good fish. Also has some pike
    My buddy got a 18 in her and I'm sure there are bigger smallies in there
    Randyo1975
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: RE: Wolf Creek 2020/10/16 07:00:26 (permalink)
    Go to volant for neshannock pike smallies and musky. It's only a ten minute drive
    fishfighter1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: RE: Wolf Creek 2020/10/17 19:41:21 (permalink)
    Being the post is from 12 years ago, I'm thinking he probably graduated 
    Jump to: