Boat trailer light problem

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2016/03/31 21:01:42 (permalink)

Boat trailer light problem

Hooking the boat trailer to my sons truck the parking lights do not work.  The brake lights and the turn signals work.  I hooked the trailer to another vehicle and all the lights work.  It would then seem to be an issue with the connector on the truck.  How do I solve this problem?

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

6 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/03/31 22:09:29 (permalink)
    Panfisher there is just so many combinations of trailer wiring.  Does your son have a trailer he tows and if so, does the wiring harness match yours?  Also, the tow vehicles, are they the same mfg. difference in years etc?

Here is schematics of various wiring configurations that can be found on trailers today.  Can you pick the wiring set-up for each vehicle and assure they are the same?  http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm 

Hopefully your problem exists with the brown wire/contact on the tow vehicle which may just need cleaned or possibly the wire from the vehicle's lighting system to the connector may need removed and cleaned.  However do not rule out the ground (white) wire/contact.  Older vehicles might ground through the ball hitch while newer vehicles will require the white wire/contact.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/03/31 22:29:30

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/04/01 09:33:33 (permalink)
    If it's an after market hitch, the problem is likely either in where they tapped into the tail lamp wiring, or the little box that the after market wires run to. I would pull out the tail lamps and check the connections of the aftermarket wiring to the tail lamp wiring. Then if everything is ok, trace the wires to find the little black box. If the box looks melted or you see any blue/white powdery corrosion, replace the box. If it's a factory hitch, look at the connector for the same corrosion, check your fuses. Other than that I would need a wiring diagram.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/04/01 21:18:14 (permalink)
    The lights worked last year.  The connectors were corroded We cleaned them up as best as we could.  The wiring harness's match.  I think the harness on the truck needs replaced.  It looks like the wiring leads up to the tail light for hook up.  Will have to check it out.

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/04/01 22:21:09 (permalink)
    I have similar problems every spring and it's always the same fix: sandpaper the ball on your hitch and up inside the corresponding female part on the trailer.
    slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/04/02 09:53:43 (permalink)
    Ditto problems every year!
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat trailer light problem 2016/04/04 10:56:46 (permalink)
    Pikepredator and slabfinder
    Thanks for the info.  I will give it a try. 

Jump to: