blank suggestions

Author
18andlife
  • Total Posts : 117
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/30 00:11:19 (permalink)

blank suggestions

Im ready to build another float rod. I need some suggestions on rod blanks. The last rod I build was on a 13ft Rainshadow. Does anyone have any reviews on the 13 1/2 Whitewater blank? Ive also been pondering buying a new GLX and stripping it? What about the Sage switchrods? Also on my last build I used AmTack Titans. Id like to try the recoils on this build. Any reviews on them would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys...

21 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 07:12:54 (permalink)
    hi 18,

What are you looking for from this rod that the rainshadow doesn't give you?

I have the recoils on one of my fly rods and I've built them onto client rods before.  I don't use them anymore.  Yes they are lightweight.  No I don't think they make that much difference on a fly rod and I hate the singing when a fly line goes through them.  If I were doing a float rod where I wanted to keep weight down I'd go straight to Fuji titaniums.  Forget the price and just do it.  I haven't tried the Titans though.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 07:38:10 (permalink)
    If you're looking for something with less power than the Rainshadow, take a look at the Talon ITM.  Rick built a 13'er for me a few years back with Fuji Ti's and it's lighter than my 11'6" Rainshadow.  I'm gonna build a 17'er for the Yough as soon as I finish up about 13 other rods.
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:09:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

hi 18,

What are you looking for from this rod that the rainshadow doesn't give you?

I have the recoils on one of my fly rods and I've built them onto client rods before.  I don't use them anymore.  Yes they are lightweight.  No I don't think they make that much difference on a fly rod and I hate the singing when a fly line goes through them.  If I were doing a float rod where I wanted to keep weight down I'd go straight to Fuji titaniums.  Forget the price and just do it.  I haven't tried the Titans though.

Thanks,
    Rick

I love everything about the rainshadow and would build another one but Id like to build on a different quality blank just to have some selection. Id like to build this rod for erie/ohio steelhead so I could forfit some of the backbone that the rainshadow has. Id like to put my Stanton on this rod for steelhead and put the new Milner on the Rainshadow and then eventually build a lamiglas 12 for the Niagara.
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:13:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trout About

If you're looking for something with less power than the Rainshadow, take a look at the Talon ITM.  Rick built a 13'er for me a few years back with Fuji Ti's and it's lighter than my 11'6" Rainshadow.  I'm gonna build a 17'er for the Yough as soon as I finish up about 13 other rods.

Thanks, Ill look into the Talon ITM. One other question, do you guys know of a better cork supplier? I ordered my last supply from mudhole and to tell you I wasnt to pleased with their SCR2A grade cork or their burl.
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:24:22 (permalink)
    Hi just been down this road myself, after countless phone calls and hours of research this is what i found out.
    what rods to steer away from.

1. baston rainshadows
    2. lamiglass
    3. sage
    4. white water
    5. diamond back
    6. talons
    -------------------------------------------

rods that i have heard great reviews on  

1. Loomis but in the IMX not GLX
    2. Raven

I found a great site if your looking to buy a custom blank or a custom stick it's http://www.floatfishing.net/ 
    I found it was a great tool there is a gentleman out of Canada that's going to build my stick for me can check out his site it's called jccustomtackle.com  That might get you started.Check out the site alot of custom sticks going for very little........... ton's of centerpin reels for sale too.

Centerpin_drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:36:04 (permalink)
    cp,

I disagree with your steer clear list.  Each blank has their time and it all depends on what you want to do with the finished rod.  The 13' rainshadow has a great level of power and a good all around action for the erie tribs.  It has the power for the biggest fish in lake erie and enough finesse to fish 3 lb tippet.  The blank is inexpensive, but a little heavy depending how you build it.

Talon has a bunch of different blanks, so you can't lump them all together at all.  The ITM series are designed for the great lakes.  They are super lightweight and built fantastically light rods for being 13' and 3 pc.  They will fish 2 lb tippet easily.  The 13' ITM wouldn't be my first choice on the grand in high water though.  The VI+ has more power and is stiffer, but is also a little heavier.  I put it in a similar class as the rainshadow and GL2/frontier.

I haven't seen a lamiglass centerpin rod blank out, though I haven't looked for one much.  Most of their float rod blanks are for western float fishing and are really heavy by our standards.  Good for the salmon river or niagara as crosover rods to salmon.  Not the best for upper elk.

The loomis rods are nice, have good actions, and in the IMX/GLX are pretty light.  Lots of power and the IMX is one of the nicest float rod blanks I know of.  It is also one of the most expensive.

The ITM would be a good choice if you keep it light.  It makes for an awesome early season rod with single eggs and 2-4 lb line.  As I said above, not my first choice for high water on big streams, but for the PA side of things and normal OH water go for it.  Also makes a nice trout rod for the pin.  The raven would be my other suggestion.

Thanks
    Rick
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:46:42 (permalink)
    I don't use natural cork because almost everything I see is crap.  This is what I use:  http://www.lamarfishing.com/cork.htm  and here is where I get it.  http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bingham/

The exotic burl cork is heavier than natural cork, but you don't have the cosmetic defects with it either.  The extra weight will also help balance out the long rods.

This is the last grip I did with it.

is

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 08:56:06 (permalink)

the last bag of cork I ordered came from Angler's workshop.  I have ordered from mudhole before, but was never impressed with their cork even in the more expensive grades.  With angler's, I'd order a bag of 100 or so and I think it was running my $125 for the medium to high quality grade, I think called extra select.  Then I'd sort through the cork and use it where applicable.  I'd save the best couple for the fronts of grips and the backs of fighting butts.  Then the cork with the least inclusions was used on customer rods.  I rarely had to fill any puts if any, though you'd get the occasional dark spot once you started sanding.  The rest of the cork went on my own personal rods and I'd have 2-3 small pits on each fly grip.  I wouldn't get any cork that was unusable.

Thanks,
    Rick
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 09:28:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: centerpin_drift

Hi just been down this road myself, after countless phone calls and hours of research this is what i found out.
    what rods to steer away from.

1. baston rainshadows
    2. lamiglass
    3. sage
    4. white water
    5. diamond back
    6. talons
    -------------------------------------------

rods that i have heard great reviews on  

1. Loomis but in the IMX not GLX
    2. Raven

I found a great site if your looking to buy a custom blank or a custom stick it's http://www.floatfishing.net/ 
    I found it was a great tool there is a gentleman out of Canada that's going to build my stick for me can check out his site it's called jccustomtackle.com  That might get you started.Check out the site alot of custom sticks going for very little........... ton's of centerpin reels for sale too.

Centerpin_drift!

LMAO....Thats a pretty hilarious steer clear list....Believe me, you need to re-research your "steer clear" list....Yes I know about the other sites...Im a member of all of them and try to stay away from all of the  drama crap that goes on on them. That is why I became a moderator here....Im not looking to buy any more custom stuff, I have too much already, Id rather have the satisfaction of creating quality rods myself.....
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 13:21:24 (permalink)
    Well 18andlife that's your opinion i am happy that you are satisfied with whatever you like to use. I would never personally never use any of them ever again and i do own a St. Croix that has served me well but now that i know better it' getting retired. I am getting a Loomis IMX built 13ft 6 ! So i am sorry if i offended anyone but i have done my research and the steer away list in my opinion are junk, but it's all what you like. I was just trying to help you out but it's whatever. Good luck on building your custom stick like to see some pic's when you finish it!!!!!!!

Centerpin_drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 14:05:50 (permalink)

Well 18andlife that's your opinion i am happy that you are satisfied with whatever you like to use. I would never personally never use any of them ever again and i do own a St. Croix that has served me well but now that i know better it' getting retired. I am getting a Loomis IMX built 13ft 6 ! So i am sorry if i offended anyone but i have done my research and the steer away list in my opinion are junk, but it's all what you like. I was just trying to help you out but it's whatever. Good luck on building your custom stick like to see some pic's when you finish it!!!!!!!

Centerpin_drift!

"So i am sorry if i offended anyone but i have done my research and the steer away list in my opinion are junk"

According to "centerpin_drift" These blanks are junk. Do not use!!!

1. baston rainshadows
    2. lamiglass
    3. sage
    4. white water
    5. diamond back
    6. talons

Your newbness wreaks but keep going, this is entertaining....

In all seriousness though, it seems like your new to the sport and trying to run out and by all the best stuff because some body told you to. Heres an idea, try some stuff out and see what you like before making such biased opinions. Other than the Snipe are all other centrepins junk now because thats the one someone told you to buy? Im not trying to start anything here...Just trying to clear up any misconception for others in the same position that the above blanks are not "junk"....
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 14:11:48 (permalink)
    I haven't seen a lamiglass centerpin rod blank out, though I haven't looked for one much. Most of their float rod blanks are for western float fishing and are really heavy by our standards. Good for the salmon river or niagara as crosover rods to salmon. Not the best for upper elk.

casts- I have the 12ft certified pro and for the lower niagara its the cats ****. For erie tribs its way too much. The only thing i dont like about it is the stock handle...Not the most comfortable when fighting a king in that current. Thats why Id like to build my own...

The first time I used the 13 rainshadow I built was on the niagara for kings...Ill tell you what that blank can take some abuse!!
    post edited by 18andlife - 2008/01/30 14:12:26
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 14:53:34 (permalink)
    From what I've seen, every rod and blank is junk in someone's eyes.  We all have our opinions as to what we like and don't like.  I had a 13' St. Croix Wild River.  I had to put 3 or 4 oz of lead on the butt to get it to feel right with my Islander.  Was it a bad rod?.....no.  I just didn't like the way my arm felt after drifting it for a few hours.  I LOVE my St. Croix's....just not their float rods.  My Rainshadow is a little too powerful for what I want to do with it, so I'll probably be selling it soon too.  Was it a bad rod too?......not to me it wasn't.  Will probably replace it with an 11'6" ITM.  There might be a 13' Raven IM9 in the near future too (for the Naigara).  So many rods to build and so little time!
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 19:07:38 (permalink)
    18, been pinning for 6-7 years depending on how you want to look at it. And i am not scared to fish with anyone for that matter be more than glad to fish with you! Maybe I'll learn something then again maybe  you will learn something. Far from begin a newbie as you like to call it. NOBODY every said anyones gear was junk or that you had to have the best of the best in gear! You fish with whatever you feel is too your liking or comfortable with.  I figured that since you was a avid centerpinner that you are, I figured that you would be looking more into better component's and higher end gear just my two cents. As far as reels go i fish a Raven SST never had a lick of trouble with by far not one of the best reels out there either. Yes i might get the Snipe but looking at a 5 inch talisman as well for my IMX. IF your going to put the money into do it right the first time then i am doing it over and over again. But it's all about what you like i just know from
    talking to the so called Pro's that the rods they build (  WHAT THEY TOLD ME TO STAY AWAY FROM! )  Their are a few blank out their to chooses from but far and few in between, But remember your the pro how much do you charge for a guided trip, lol !   Soon as the ice blows off be more than happy to fish with you any day of the week, work permitting!

trout about from your pics looks like you build some nice sticks, I am just saying that your going to put your heart and soul into building a stick why would you want to put the money into a low end stick. I know it's whatever your comfortable with just curious!

Centerpin_drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/30 20:48:57 (permalink)
    I don't feel that any of the ones you mentioned on your list are low end, except maybe the Rainshadow.  Low end on price, not quality.  I've read some bad stuff about all the above listed too, but they were spey conversions or heavy fly sticks built as float rods.

I like Talon ITM's because they're just the right power for the size fish I use it for.  I fish big water for little trout (lower Yough).  It'll handle Erie steel and the brownies in NY, but it's WAY undergunned for salmon.  My rainshadow is too powerful for the little trout here.  They fly out of the water on the hookset, and not by choice!

Talon and Batson are the 2 largest OEM blank manufacturers.  Most people own one and probably don't even know it.

A little known fact:  Talon is the latest incarnation of the original Loomis Composites Company which was founded around 1976 or so. It then became LCI, LCI/Osprey, Osprey, Inc. and finally just Talon. They're not extremely well known outside of the Pacific Northwest but they have been building rod blanks for numerious blank resellers and commercial rod operations for 30 years.  They build over 600 models.
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 08:23:58 (permalink)

18, been pinning for 6-7 years depending on how you want to look at it. And i am not scared to fish with anyone for that matter be more than glad to fish with you! Maybe I'll learn something then again maybe  you will learn something. Far from begin a newbie as you like to call it. NOBODY every said anyones gear was junk or that you had to have the best of the best in gear! You fish with whatever you feel is too your liking or comfortable with.  I figured that since you was a avid centerpinner that you are, I figured that you would be looking more into better component's and higher end gear just my two cents. As far as reels go i fish a Raven SST never had a lick of trouble with by far not one of the best reels out there either. Yes i might get the Snipe but looking at a 5 inch talisman as well for my IMX. IF your going to put the money into do it right the first time then i am doing it over and over again. But it's all about what you like i just know from
    talking to the so called Pro's that the rods they build (  WHAT THEY TOLD ME TO STAY AWAY FROM! )  Their are a few blank out their to chooses from but far and few in between, But remember your the pro how much do you charge for a guided trip, lol !   Soon as the ice blows off be more than happy to fish with you any day of the week, work permitting!

trout about from your pics looks like you build some nice sticks, I am just saying that your going to put your heart and soul into building a stick why would you want to put the money into a low end stick. I know it's whatever your comfortable with just curious!

Centerpin_drift!

Ok man, Im done arguing with you, I might as well talk to the wall...Go buy all your gear and keep telling us how good you are...Have a great day.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 10:29:27 (permalink)
    Just incase anyone wants to measure who's 'rod' is bigger...here you go

Opinions are like ****holes....remember that guys. And the only opinion I have (or
    maybe its more of a guidline) is you have no right in knocking any rod or reel unless
    you have spent a day working one of the stream/lake. Just my 5cents.....
    .....how about those ice free streams! Woot woot!!!
    18andlife
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 10:49:55 (permalink)
    ur gonna need a bigger ruler........haha lmao
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 12:45:31 (permalink)
    Nobody was fighting or arguing, i was just trying to make a point i guess it came off the wrong way. I am not here for drama. Tommy hit it right on the head opinion's are like****amp;&&&& everyone has one. So hope the tribs free up some dying to get out on the creeks dam ice!

Centerpin_drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 13:08:30 (permalink)

hope the tribs free up some dying to get out on the creeks dam ice!

AMEN to that.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: blank suggestions 2008/01/31 15:24:02 (permalink)
    warm temps on the way might be fishing soon!
    Jump to: