Another article

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/05 06:28:45 (permalink)

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

13 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3066
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 07:54:02 (permalink)
    Did I misread or did this guy say Ontario had a Thiamine deficiency because of too many bait fish in the  system because Ontarios bait can come in through the ST Lawrence ??
    Sounded like the Ontario gamefish were overeating on an abundance of baitfish causing thiamine issues  while the other lakes had issues because of heavy icing and too few baitfish.

Everyone can have an opinion but this one is wayyyyy far from any this reader has seen as yet.
    Some of his other stuff bout climate change and overharvest or Govt funding for fish may or may not be relative depending on where ya fish or your political views.

We had a rule in the Narc Division --when a snitch came in and told ya stuff ya wanted to hear- but had a fact or two that ya KNEW were BS -ya had to discount this ENTIRE story- no 'cherry picking'. 

post edited by r3g3 - 2016/01/05 08:22:14
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 09:53:58 (permalink)
    "...push on harder, pummel it even harder, harvest even the last one- go to any length like a crack addicted drug addict to get the chrome fix. "

Agree that a lot of it requires at least hip boots to wade through, but he does hit some nails.

I have never heard anything about the ocean currently contributing significantly to the LO Alewife population.  The issue here, at least hypothetically, is that the longer periods of ice cover and assumed resultant reduction in phytoplankton and zooplankton biomass,  and the longer periods of cold temperatures, cause increased thiaminase production in the alewifes, who also suffer in terms of body condition from less available food and the harsher conditions.  The predator gets a higher dose of thiaminase in each prey fish consumed, and has to consume more prey fish per unit of energy needed, and as a result is not able to get enough Vitamin B for maintenance of metabolism.  After one bad winter in 2014, this exhibited most dramatically as the chrome die off in the SR.  Then, a second winter even worse than the first, and the deep lake pretty much shut down after mid-June.  It seems logical that if this condition became advanced enough in large numbers of the trout and salmon out in the lake in 2015, they hit the bottom instead of making into the tributaries.  Some of the fish survived, but no where's near what would be expected from "normal recruitment" (I've seen west coast numbers where 1-2% return is considered good, but we don't have seals and seal lions and Orcas and the commercial and Native American fleets in LO!), and the Salmon and Steelhead were both affected (I saw pretty good numbers of browns in the CNY tribs I have been on, maybe they are more focused on the gobies).  A silver lining in all this for the long run is that as long as the hatchery is selecting the healthiest fish, these are possibly individuals with a genetic resistance to the thiaminase, as they have some how managed to survive and make it back to the hatchery, so the genepool gets "stronger."  But if it takes a long time to get things "back on track," it's little consolation for geezers like me and Twobob. 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 11:56:45 (permalink)
    Well I can certainly agree with a lot that he wrote about.The Erie tribs in Penna. have no where near the fish that were there 10 yrs ago.However I did n't read anything about the Walleye contributing to the decline.From what I gather the eye's had some very good spawning years recently and lake Erie is loaded with them.They are gobbling the smolts in the spring as they enter the lake,lots of pictures posted of walleye stomachs loaded with smolts to prove that.So what's the answer to that problem? Some think the DEC should hold the smolts until they get larger and can escape the eye"s,or maybe encourage a larger eye harvest,who knows? I hope something changes soon 'cause I'm not getting younger!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 12:16:44 (permalink)
    Pretty much as I agree with Lucky . My only comment / question is ( salmon ) did not hit well in the coolers on the lake in 2015 . If they were out there in " normal " numbers wouldn't one think the creel would have shown those results and they didn't end up on the lake bottom because they were not out there ?
    Flip side and story goes that they hid from all the pro and novice anglers with fancy electronics somewhere on the lake that no boats dare to go .
    Get ready folks, the lake trout fishery is going to BOOM >>>> then CRASH from over harvest again .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 13:24:16 (permalink)
    I'm suggesting that they died off in late spring into early summer, when the Charter captains with whom I've spoken say it got very tough out there. Earlier, they reported a nice mix of species.  If they had just disappeared way out into the lake, they should have showed up in the tribs in better numbers.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 14:17:26 (permalink)
    Agree with you guys on the lack of fish and why- NOT what this guy said bout too many bait.
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 14:19:50 (permalink)
    Well here is a question that might bare asking?
    Assuming the issue is with the larger, adult bait fish.....since their life span is only about 3 years.....shouldn't the fingerlings being stocked now be in good shape in 2-4 years depending on the severity of the next couple winters?

wishin i was fishin
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 15:09:54 (permalink)
    Might think so Bear- especially if the bait have a decent spawn.
    HOPE----and easy winters.

OOps---- that guy says Ontario  already has too many baitfish.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/01/05 15:11:49
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 15:20:19 (permalink)
    The river pimp of Michigan has spoken.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 18:20:05 (permalink)
    Did he miss  out on giving  an Orvis endorsement?  There's more than a few things in that bloggish  lump that I disagree with, but the guy is a salesman, and adept at marketing. The majority of west coasters don't give the tiniest of fecal excretions about the GL fisheries, and they aren't going to change. Of course, if a published author and famous guide beats on their forum doors, well..., maybe. The opposite may hold true, though, and the philosophy of fishing without catching  taking hold in the Great Lakes would do his guide business a whale of good. Kind of like bluefin guys that'll blow 10,000 bucks  on trips to get one surface take.  I'm sure I've opened myself to the usual lecture about how I don't know squat, but, since I wasted my time reading it, I figured I'd add to the pile...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Another article 2016/01/05 20:50:37 (permalink)
    Fichy , he ( author ) totally lost me at the endorsement piece in the beginning so I didn't bother the continued reading from an expert opinion .
    My response was from L-13 post . Kinda agree that my pre - sophomore experience and interaction from fellow lake fishers and views were very similar . I toss the promotional reports or posts on FB as 5% or less of real picture . Absolutely there are 10% of the group with 90 % knowledge , I just cut 5 % out .

So now I went back and really read after your post .
    Things I learned :
    1.Don't post self promotion on social media unless you are trying to promote high end self promotion .
    2. If your not a fisheries science major or someone with a higher fisheries major , a self promotional degree in theory and what others should do to promote the fishery in which supports the said major will suffice in gaining respect in your field .
    3 . The social media is bad for the fishery unless you are only promoting your views and promotion towards the fishery in which supports you , aka. I'll show pictures but only if you do as I say it's in the interest of the fishery otherwise , stop posting about how well your day was because its ruening the sport .

Sorry guys , I'm just stuck at a keyboard watching webcams of lakes starting to ice over waiting to load my gear .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: Another article 2016/01/06 10:42:58 (permalink)
    Another Jan. 5 Article: http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/01/guides_problem_of_dying_struggling_steelhead_on_salmon_river_persists.html

(Jus my opinion, probably not yours. (yukyuk)
    My comment to article:
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for keeping us informed!
    I would have written that the normal # of twirlers (not last year) seen on a daily basis, over the last 25 years, is 99.99% LESS this year. Ya-Hooo! (Guess I should have returned your call ;)
    In the last 25 years or so Ive seen 3-4 twirlers, on a daily basis, all steelhead season.
    This year Ive only seen 3-4 TOTAL steelhead twirlers for the ENTIRE (almost daily) last 3 month steelhead season.
    Yes, it persists, BUT is normal, and is 99.99% better than the last 25 years. (excluding last year)
    Sincerely, Randy Jones
    A Salmon River Pulaski NY full-time Fishing Guide who is on the water almost daily over the entire Salmon River Fishing season.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Another article 2016/01/06 11:21:38 (permalink)
    I didn't fish them very often this year and only caught a couple but they were  thin and fought tired. 
    Never saw a swirler up river this year but then Steel numbers seemed quite low  even compared to last season.
    Yes-  there were deads here and there but  some are likely  to be poor releases or over stressed fish caught and not properly revived.
    The very few I caught early in the Steel season didn't have an overabundance of gill lice.
    Face it- it was a poor season all round and appeared well below  the norms of fish being somewhat cyclitic in numbers.
    Whatever the Lake issues are, they persist-and natural breed stock is being decimated-Hope for a few mild winters - they cant hurt.
    One may fear that even the majority of stocked fish from the past few years have been 'lost ' in the lake.
    Down would be catastrophic-- the only place to go is UP.
    Ma Nature seems to be on board this year with-- UP.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2016/01/06 20:16:21
    Jump to: