Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits?

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/09 15:15:48 (permalink)

Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits?

Logged into the PA license portal a few minutes ago to renew my licenses.  Turns out I have a year left on my 3 year license, but I still needed:

- 2016 button for me
- 2016 button for the wife
- 2016 Erie stamp for me 
- 2016 Cast net permits

Was successful on the buttons and the Erie permit (went with a combo this year, even though I have zero intention of ever fishing for trout-oids) but couldn't get cast net permits.  They aren't listed yet, which seems a bit odd.  Not like I need them until the spring, so not really a big deal.  Just figured I'd get everything done at once.  Going to grab Arthur and Shenango permits this year I think.  In case BTDT wants to trade some more fishing trips and then actually uses bait.  :)  

Didn't get the wife an Erie stamp yet, since she generally boycotts all day trips especially to places with choppy water.  But we'll see on that one.  She might be tempted by the new boat (assuming I get it finished).

I really appreciate the license portal.  They did a great job and it beats the hell out of going to Walmart and hoping someone is actually working at the sporting goods booth.  Do most of you guys use the web to buy hunting and fishing licenses?  Have to think yes.  Here's the site in case you didn't know that you could buy online:  https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php  It is shockingly good for a government website.  I assume they farmed the work out to some high school kids to accomplish that.  Is it 2016 fishing season yet?!

12 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/09 15:34:25 (permalink)
    I use it for PA fishing, but not PA hunting because while you can print the fishing license, as of now the PGC must mail the hunting license. I would rather go to a retail outlet and leave with my hunting license in hand.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/09 17:05:25 (permalink)
    For those that get their fishing license on-line,it is a good idea to print a few extras so as to keep 1 in the vehicle & 1 in your tackle box along with 1 in your wallet so that incase you lose 1 you still have 1 in possession. Last year I found a tackle bag that a guy left behind & he had to drive approx.30 miles to get it even though the only thing of value was his license.  sam
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/10 06:09:53 (permalink)
    I got the 5 year license and it's good thru 2017.  Not only is it saved on my computer but I've got signed copies in my each of my tackle boxes, on the boat, on my vests, in the truck and one in my wallet.  Did I read somewhere the fish commission tried to stop people from printing copies because it led to a loss of revenue for replacements but it got shot down in the courts?
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/10 14:43:42 (permalink)
    pikepredator2,If you can find where you read that, please post the source. That is almost as good as one that I heard about the PFC stocking those flying carp so that they would save money on stocking Trout. sam
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/10 15:54:47 (permalink)
    Never heard ya can't run duplicates from the web but, getting a replacement from an issuing agent gonna cost ya some greenbacks.

12.I lost my license, now what? A lost fishing license is replaced by applying to any issuing agent. The cost is $6.70 for the license, price includes the cost of any trout/salmon or Lake Erie privileges that were purchased with the original license....view fishing license information from our Summary Boo

Zelie them new buttons look like this, by chance?              

Last but not least, last year I made my mind up to never buy another PA. fishing license as long as I live.

Have a good day folks and think SPRING

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/10 16:41:16 (permalink)
    Wont know for a couple weeks.  But yeah, something like that.  So you sprung for the life resident eh?  Guess now you can't move to somewhere better, like a state with an ocean.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/10 18:06:50 (permalink)

Pymatuning's not an ocean?     Ummmm, Shenango?????

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/11 01:14:42 (permalink)
    mr. crappie that was a long time ago when buying and printing licenses on your home computer first became available.  wish I could remember where I read that (hel, it might have even been on fisherie), i'll keep looking tho.  
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/11 06:12:19 (permalink)
    I remember reading that a group of people who were arrested for some fishing violation all had the same fishing license printed off the internet and that had the PFC wanting to stop people from making more then one copy.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/11 07:31:08 (permalink)
    Walleye that very well could have been part of it.  I do know tho that they were concerned with the loss of revenue from not having to issue replacement licenses.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/11 08:38:40 (permalink)
    I'm thinkin, maybe the dudes that run the automated services POS) and issuing agents 'boo hooed ' about losing their cut of the sales.  While a replacement includes all stamps on the original license, the "PALS" dude get $.70 for each stamp plus the basic license and the issuing agent gets $1.00....... again.

Also, no way to prevent copies being made from a printer even if each year were of a different color.

Enforcement of, printing multiple copies, just not practical.

But, I've been wrong a time or two.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: Time to renew PA licenses / Cast net permits? 2015/12/11 11:36:31 (permalink)
    DarDys
    I use it for PA fishing, but not PA hunting because while you can print the fishing license, as of now the PGC must mail the hunting license. I would rather go to a retail outlet and leave with my hunting license in hand.

Same here.  Wish you could print the hunting licenses.  I will need to re-up my fishing license this year.  I bought the "extended term" one several years back.

I also print out several copies and save the .pdfs of my wife's and my fishing licenses. 
    Jump to: