John Skinner, bucktailing and flounder jigging

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/02 22:14:06 (permalink)

John Skinner, bucktailing and flounder jigging

Have you guys watched any of John Skinner's videos?  He also writes fishing books, if you still remember what books were.  He's a guy from NY that fishes for mainly stripers and fluke (flounder) but also a few other interesting species.  If you find yourself bored or are just looking for well made fishing videos, check him out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KastgsmIFFI  That's the basic fluke video, you can find the rest of his stuff easily from there.  

Anyway, I plan to do a bit flounder fishing this year (April FL trip + summer DE Bay trips + fall OBX trip) and I'm building a couple of his rigs.  For that flounder bucktail jigging he uses a 7' tsunami rod rated 10-20, or basically a MH rod with a quantum accurist conventional reel spooled with 15lb spiderwire.  The reels are widely available and decent feeling reels (they have them at the local Field and Stream) so I'll get two of those same reels.  Can't find the rod, so I went with a StCroix TRC70MHF.  First StCroix stick for me.  For the other rod, I'm thinking I'll grab an Ugly Stick Elite USECA701MH.  That's essentially the same rod for half the price tag.  I'll be able to use them side by side and decide if the extra $50 is worth it.  And if it is, I'll upgrade the Ugly to an Avid.  Talked myself into the StCroix because I had a $25 off $100 coupon and a $10 cert.  Still felt a bit ginchy paying $100 for a rod.  

I'll report back in the spring when I get to test it out.

1 Reply Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    • Reward points: 0
    Re: John Skinner, bucktailing and flounder jigging 2015/12/02 22:36:46 (permalink)
    Will you be fishing under slip bobbers, by chance?

Aw c'mon that was funny............. huh?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Jump to: