Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/25 20:37:12 (permalink)

Schroon

i have a trip tomorrow on Schroon Lake
the target will be Lake trout, Salmon & Pike ( but if the other 2 work out, i'd pass on the pike)
I'll be on checking in at Crossroads around 6am (exit 25)
and be on the ice by 7am around exit 27 (narrows)
stop by either the store or the blue clam 2000 (Forever Wild Outfitters) and say hello
:
report to follow.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

8 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/26 16:49:53 (permalink)
    another great day
    iced 3 lakers & 1 perch
    had 7 flags to chase
    i'll update a full report on my homepage once i unpack

icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/26 17:17:15 (permalink)
    nice looking lakers tuna. i am kind of new to the message boards and have just begun to icefish again within the last couple of years. i wish i had known sooner about your schroon trip. you seem very knowledgeable and from your other posts i gather that you are a guide as well??.  i had already committed myself to queechy lake today, but would have loved to have been out on schroon instead. we got all but skunked. 1 late flag with a stinkin hungry smallmouth bass on. what a waste of a flag. nobody seemed to have any luck though. we will go back for the tournament on feb 10th. love queechy and schroon lake no matter what kind of luck we have. any tips on landing those lakers on schroon ??, such as bait, area or how far down you put the bait??. thanks. steve.    
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/26 17:35:16 (permalink)
    Looks like you had a great day ouit there tuna. Youngster looks like he'll be hooked on ice fishing.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/26 18:51:35 (permalink)
    steve:
    yes i am a professional guide
    i do these things not only for the love i have of the outdoors but to help others enjoy and learn the great resource.
    i will be back out as always and you can feel free to contact me directly.
    some help i can offer in targeting lakers is no secret:
    1. fish deep water, usually i'll set up no less than 40 & up to 100' keeping my bait or jig 2'>3' off bottom
    you need to have quality equipment with that amount of line
    2. when fishing deep look for areas that drop off sharply , use the contour lake maps DEC offers on line
    3.use big bait, i like med suckers or large icicles(if you can get them) if not use med shiners
    4.when jigging use #7 pimples or large bucktails and move often until you locate fish
    5. P.S. > make sure the water has Lakers (lol)

now for salmon this all goes out the window......
    good luck and hope to see you on the water

icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/27 15:13:06 (permalink)
    thanks for the tips tuna. i will look on the DEC site for those maps. we always have plenty of line for when we fish schroon anyways and usually bring suckers and shiners. we use nothing but heritage laker tip ups. equipment hasn't been our problem, i think we have been fishing too shallow for them. we are going to be fishing glass lake for the bailey mtn tourney next weekend, but i will definitely stay in touch as far as schroon lake is concerned. my dad loves the tournaments because of the friends we have made over the years, but i would just as soon fish queechy lake and schroon lake most of the time. i have grown to love both of those lakes since getting back into ice fishing. would love to meet up with you guys someday soon. take care and thanks again for the tips. steve.  
    icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/27 18:10:25 (permalink)
    tuna:
           how thick was the ice on schroon lake yesterday. is it thick enough for full size vehicles yet or just atv's and snowmobiles?. was just wondering, may be heading that way monday or tuesday. thanks. steve.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/27 18:48:53 (permalink)
    middle & northern end was 6>8", we did hit a place that had 4" near shore
    don't know how the southern end was but i'd say 6" & not much more as it was open 2 weeks ago down there
    do NOT take a vehicle out there, you should be fine (north) with an ATV but please be careful
    snowmobiles were around but they move quickly.
    good luck and maybe i'll see you out there

P.S.
    Crossroads off exit 25 has icicles but once their gone thats it for the year
    they also have shiners & suckers
    post edited by hot tuna - 2008/01/27 18:51:00

icefishinsteve
    Novice Angler
    RE: Schroon 2008/01/27 19:14:15 (permalink)
    tuna:
          thanks for the info. didn't think it was going to be thick enough for any vehicles. weather's been too warm except for those few cold shots we had. not really a big fan of driving out on the ice anyway. too many risks involved. i am more of a walker. i have been looking into purchasing a polaris ranger or similar vehicle for my landscaping business, but have been hard pressed to justify the cost right now. thanks for the info and rest assured if i go, i am certainly walking out. we usually fish in the area at the end of fowler ave, between fowler ave and the town beach/boat launch/access. the DEC map shows that area as being 60' deep. would this be a good spot to attempt to locate lakers or not. if my memory serves me right, i believe there was a pretty good size laker caught by a lady fishing next to us during the tournament a few years ago. i believe it was just north of the beach/boat launch/access.   
    Jump to: