NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 06:35:17 (permalink)
You seem to want to return to the 19th century by claiming longer seasons will not further reduce a declining game population.  Yes, grouse quail and rabbit population is controlled by other factors plus do not get much hunting pressure, pheasant is put and take and the elk are too few and tightly controlled to consider in this conversation. 

The ones that get pressured, deer, bear, and turkey are controlled by hunting pressure and Sunday hunting will increase the pressure on them. Plus we all know that deer is the one most are concerned about and when many areas in the state have 8 or fewer dpsm down from high 20's or 30's for the prior 60 years I think decimated is the proper word. Sunday hunting will further reduce them unless you are proposing eliminating Sat hunting.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 08:17:50 (permalink)
S-10
You seem to want to return to the 19th century by claiming longer seasons will not further reduce a declining game population. 

Actually it is you clinging to 19th century game populations. I have never said, hunting would not reduce game populations. If a hunters kills a grouse, there are less grouse. What I said, yet again, if that hunting is not the controlling factor in many modern day game populations in this state. A distinct difference. You get it yet?

The ones that get pressured, deer, bear, and turkey are controlled by hunting pressure and Sunday hunting will increase the pressure on them.

I agree. Except turkey. Currently the concensus is that it is not hunting that is controlling the population but studies are being done to examine this further.

Plus we all know that deer is the one most are concerned about and when many areas in the state have 8 or fewer dpsm down from high 20's or 30's for the prior 60 years I think decimated is the proper word. Sunday hunting will further reduce them unless you are proposing eliminating Sat hunting.

It has the potential to reduce overall deer populations further, since hunting is the main controlling factor in deer populations at the moment. I have not disputed that SH has the potential to do that. What I have said is that the PGC has proven it can reduce or increase deer populations with or without SH.

Plus, you contradicted yourself when you pointed out that the modern day PGC does indeed work to protect species from overharvesting by hunting.

If a regulatory transfer happens, it would be up to you and I to let the commissioners know our concerns about the added pressure on deer. I think adding pressure right now is not a good thing unless allocations are reduced. The current BOC has been working to increase deer populations. Such is the ebb and flow of game management.

With our current season and bag limit structure, I don't think SH would make a lick of difference with any other game animal other than deer and the PGC has proven they can do what they want with deer over the years.
post edited by dpms - 2015/07/01 10:43:44

My rifle is a black rifle
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 09:29:10 (permalink)

If a regulatory transfer happens, it would be up to you and I to let the commissioners know our concerns about the added pressure on deer

LOL....   you and I can let those same commissioners know our concerns about deer pressure... RIGHT NOW....

and many have been for about 10 years now....

regulatory transfer does not mean they will listen to our opinions any more than they do now.....  

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 09:58:42 (permalink)
Dr. Trout

If a regulatory transfer happens, it would be up to you and I to let the commissioners know our concerns about the added pressure on deer

LOL....   you and I can let those same commissioners know our concerns about deer pressure... RIGHT NOW....

and many have been for about 10 years now....

regulatory transfer does not mean they will listen to our opinions any more than they do now.....  

Yep. That is how the process works.  Is that process not acceptable to you right now Monday through Saturday? If it is, why the resentment for the same process for Sundays?

Quite the conundrum you put yourself in Doc. You lament about the commissioners and deer then complain when you don't get the doe tags you want. Another conundrum.

One either believes that it should be game agencies regulating hunting or one believes politicians are better suited to do it.

Which camp are you in Doc?
post edited by dpms - 2015/07/01 10:42:25

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 10:59:18 (permalink)
I have never held to the idea that politicians, even elected one, should control game laws... size, seasons, weapons, species, etc....

as for holidays, taxes, what can be done on what days of the week, things like that and other LAWS..... yep ... let them decide that based on what there voters want....

If the majority of all the people (not just sportsmen) want something =  let them decide....

who should decide if hunting (HEAVEN FORBBID) should suddenly become something that the majority of the Pa folks want to outlaw ...
the PGC or elected official who have to answer to their voters ???

who should "rule"...  if .... the PGC decided by what ever means THEY wanted every deer in Pa killed....  the PGC or elected officials, who as mentioned , have to be held accountable to the voters ????

As of now the USA is still hanging on to being a democracy....  to me that means the people rule  and how are they supposed to do that ...thru elected officials...

Do we really believe that adding SH with cause that much of a disaster to the deer.....  crossbows didn't.... and I feel SH will not directly either for a couple reasons...

#1=  many hunters are going to lose the land they have permission  to hunt now. Not just for Sunday but everyday...

#2= after a season or two state and other public land will be even more over-hunted

#3= here's where I sort of laugh at a lot of the SH debate.... IMHO it really is not going to add that much to the situation as it is now..

a...not much increase in income for business, no new jobs, etc... because based on areas like mine ...
SH is ACTUALLY only going to add about 4-5 EXTRA hours of hunting... guys who are here hunting on Saturday usually stay over night and go home on Sunday  afternoon  ... they will still stay over night ( no extra income for hotels, motels, etc...)

They will get up Sunday morning and hunt for half a day so they can still close up camps and get home Sunday evening... in fact ... by going hunting Sunday morning instead of  going out for breakfast at the local  restaurant.. those business may lose some income... ??

b...guys like me, who hunt right where they live...yep... it will give us a whole day...  so yes depending on weather that Sunday I may get a better chance for a harvest... will it increase my total deer harvested  .. nope...  I only have so many tags I can fill ....

c... IMHO .. the change in harvest numbers may only apply to those guys that only have a day or two to hunt and do not harvest deer under today's rules .... it still will not automatically mean they will get a deer....  the day of the week may not have that much impact on success , weather will still be #1  IMHO...

My #1 reason for NO SH is I want that one  day in the fall (especially turkey, bear, and deer seasons)...   I do not have to have.... ANY...NONE. ...ZERO ...  thoughts about hunters in the area  or stray bullets....

sorry but remember --- 

a friend got shot near here this year in bear season on state game lands....

YEAH I KNOW HUNTING IS SAFE...  but even at only 1 accident I do not want it to be me, my family, pets, or a friend.... and with no SH .. I don't have that as any concern on Sundays.......
and want it to remain that way .....

how about just small game... I may support that ... BUT we all know that is not what it is about ... and it will never stay just that ....

NO to ANY SUNDAY HUNTING for me

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2015/07/01 11:07:42
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 11:35:11 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
I have never held to the idea that politicians, even elected one, should control game laws... size, seasons, weapons, species, etc....

If you agree with that, why do you not support game agencies regulating hunting 365 days of the year? You are contradicting yourself again. The bill only transfers regulatory control to the agency that is tasked with regulating hunting. The old bill included the language "shall institute". This bill does not include that language. This bill is exactly what you say you support.

who should decide if hunting (HEAVEN FORBBID) should suddenly become something that the majority of the Pa folks want to outlaw ...
the PGC or elected official who have to answer to their voters ???

That responsibility lies with our elected officials. SH does not change anything there.

who should "rule"...  if .... the PGC decided by what ever means THEY wanted every deer in Pa killed....  the PGC or elected officials, who as mentioned , have to be held accountable to the voters ????

They way the system works is the agency that is tasked with a responsibility performs that responsibility with oversight by the general assembly. Again, that does not change with SH.

As of now the USA is still hanging on to being a democracy....  to me that means the people rule  and how are they supposed to do that ...thru elected officials...

True. No one is disputing that. We are talking about agencies and what they are tasked with doing.

My #1 reason for NO SH is I want that one  day in the fall (especially turkey, bear, and deer seasons)...   I do not have to have.... ANY...NONE. ...ZERO ...  thoughts about hunters in the area  or stray bullets....

It is your land. If you own it , you control it. There are plenty of landowners that don't share your concerns and you want to prevent them from doing a wholesome outdoor activity on their own land. Many landowners deal with all forms of trespass unrelated to hunting and all of those activities are legal every day of the week. Why should hunting be illegal on Sundays so you don't have to deal with hunters, while all of the other outdoor activites that other landowners may deal with be legal on Sundays?

Do you support Sunday fishing. Lots of fisherman trespass and fishing is allowed every day of the year, all year long. Do you oppose Sunday ATV on private property? That is a huge issue with many landowners.

YEAH I KNOW HUNTING IS SAFE...  but even at only 1 accident I do not want it to be me, my family, pets, or a friend.... and with no SH .. I don't have that as any concern on Sundays.......
and want it to remain that way .....

Hunting is extremely safe. Many families experience tragedies from other outdoor activities almost every day. All of those activities are legal every day, including Sundays.

You have a better chance of a stranger walking onto your property and assaulting you than getting hurt by a hunter.

how about just small game... I may support that ... BUT we all know that is not what it is about ... and it will never stay just that ....

How about it? That is a great way to implement it.

NO to ANY SUNDAY HUNTING for me

You don't have to partake or allow it on your property. Your choice. Quite a shame though considering your long held position of being anti political regulation of game management. Funny how some flip around like a fish out of water with certain issues.
post edited by dpms - 2015/07/01 11:52:24

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 11:54:13 (permalink)
BTW, had a discussion yesterday. Quite a bit more momentum this time around. Do I think this bill will pass this session? No.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 12:42:03 (permalink)
DPMS--you are so full of it.  We  tried for 15 years to get the PGC to back off the herd reduction and were totally ignored until we started to pressure the politicians. The BOC since 2011 is on record supporting it so it's a given what they will do if given the chance. We both know that deer hunting is the driver for the whole effort and will be incorporated into Sunday hunting as soon they can do it. Your hunting ground may be safe but for many it won't be. When the folks upon whose land you hunt (which is 80% of them) don't want it (whatever their reason) the wise man listens to them and does not call them names as you have been doing. Spin it all you want but you and HUSH are hurting the sport for your own selfish interests. I am done
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 12:55:08 (permalink)
S-10
DPMS--you are so full of it. 

Full of what? I have directly addressed everything I believe.

We  tried for 15 years to get the PGC to back off the herd reduction and were totally ignored until we started to pressure the politicians.

That is how the system works. That is how every state's game management works. Their game agencies are tasked with regulating hunting with oversight by the general assembly. There were some pressuring the PGC to reduce the herd for years and the PGC chose not too. That is the ebb and flow of game management.

We both know that deer hunting is the driver for the whole effort and will be incorporated into Sunday hunting as soon they can do it.

As our most popular game animal, deer is a big driver. The current BOC seems to be in deer protection mode. Another BOC may go another direction. The PGC can go any direction it wants, with or without SH. And oversight is always there if they go to far either way.  

Your hunting ground may be safe but for many it won't be. When the folks upon whose land you hunt (which is 80% of them) don't want it (whatever their reason) the wise man listens to them and does not call them names as you have been doing.

This is not a landowners rights issue.

Dairy farms come with stink. Owning rural property comes with hunters wanting to use your land, fisherman, atv riders cutting through on tractor trails, mushroom hunters looking for the golden morel patch etc.... Only one of those activties is illegal on Sundays. It is up to each landowner to do what they want with their lands.  Many properties will be newly opened to hunting on Sundays. Both private and public.

Spin it all you want but you and HUSH are hurting the sport for your own selfish interests.

No spin necessary when you have good information and not sky will fall predictions that simply have not come true to any measurable affect anywhere in the nation.

You head it hear first, folks. SH is hurting the sport of hunting in the majority of the country that already allows it. People really believe that?

As for "selfish reasons". What are mine? I have said I would not partake very much in it. I bet you would hunt more on Sundays than me.

I am done

I thought you were done before? This was just getting good.....
post edited by dpms - 2015/07/01 13:02:15

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 13:24:53 (permalink)
I find the comments about wild animals becoming extinct in Penn's Woods to be quite interesting.  Of particular interest are those animals becoming extinct or, near extinct from the practice of hunting.  

I think it is amazing how the PGC has returned populations of extinct or, near extinct  wildlife to the PA. Wilds.  It is fascinating how sections of the state are chosen, regulated, prepared and, restocked to allow for natural rebuilding of once extinct or, near extinct animals.  These "incubators"; if you will, have to be controlled regarding food supplies, protection from natural predator/disease and,  limited competition for the same habitat.  

I think controlling competition and spread of disease would be quite a challenge but, certainly not undoable and, would go hand-in-hand.   As for controlling natural predators, well, doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how the PGC attempts to accomplish that.  

Anyway; thanks to the efforts of the PGC, PSU and,  the money of hard working hunters, we have (depending on who you talk to) nice flocks of turkey, sleuths of bear, herds of whitetail and, the mighty elk.

The re-establishment of the elk is quite fascinating in that the Eastern Elk, once natural to PA. Wilds, went extinct in the late 1800s.  Sometime around 1913 the newly established PGC took advantage of an offer from Yellowstone National  Park  for free elk which was overpopulating Yellowstone. 

Those elk, first roamed, a small area of PA. (approx.) 350 sq. mi.  where their habitat, food, predators, competition and, disease were monitored by the PGC.  Today the range covers  (approx(?)) 800 sq. mi. with a herd of (approx) 1000 animals.  Habitat improvement, though not attributed to but, greatly aiding the elk (reportedly the bull elk) included, but not limited to, clear cutting hundreds of acres of forest on state game lands in the newly established elk range.

This new range, along with future locations, includes an area once heavily populated with whitetail now known as WMU 2G (before being subdivided to add 2H in 2013) along with WMUs to the south where..................  wait for it..........  wait for it.......   CWD infected    white tail have been found!!!                    

Yep through the efforts of the PGC, PSU and, money contributed by the hunters......  extinct/near extinct animals once again grace Penn's Woods. 

I gotta go............  thinkin' fishin' might be out for today,  I'll go visit a couple of the "elk farms/mills" now operating in my little section of Penn's Woods.

Til next time, 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 15:25:19 (permalink)
why do you keep mentioning trespassing.... most land owners I know do not allow that 7 days a week.... why add one more day to intice hunters to do it ??

my not wanting guys walking around on the bordering SGL on Sundays has nothing to do with trespassing.... they aren't....

as for fishing ... guys fishing near me or my home or property produce NO sense of any danger to me ....

guys hungry to shoot a moving big game animal do...  it's that simple ...

is it really that terrible for us wanting one day a week in the fall , free of hunters, are we asking that much ?????

We deal with the 6 days a week  of hunters  that it is allowed now....

Do you really think the "general public" knows how safe hunting is ?

I'll bet hardly any of them read PGC press releases about shooting accidents...  or how many there are....they just see what hits the evening news in their area...

again not for trespassing.. but just "some" hunters.... do you have any idea how many are cited for safety zone violations every year even though they are not technically trespassing... just that they are to close to a dwelling..... I believe it is #2 in awarded citations....

that alone is scary to me .... they all know the law... but that big game animal might be right behind that camp or barn ..... or that deer is running across the pasture.. I don't see anyone ... I  won't miss ....
so BANG.... ooppps.. missed ..... keep shooting...

we all see or hear it EVERY year.. to say it doesn't happen is only fooling oneself......

guns/hunting are safe in lawful people's hands and folks with common sense know it is not the gun that kills or injures people ... but look at all the efforts to take them from us because of the actions of a few .... 

JUST SAY NO TO HUNTING ON SUNDAY....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2015/07/01 15:27:42
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 15:41:03 (permalink)
BTW ---
one last comment .... my anti-Sunday hunting has NOTHING TO DO WITH harvesting more animals of any species..

I truly believe it will not have that great an impact.....

you want rabbits on Sunday .. just ask the PGC to show why that is needed and to seek support of our elected officials for that to be added to what can be hunted on Sunday....  they will NOT DO it ...

why do you think they are NOT the ones asking for Sunday hunting...they know majority of citizens/hunters do not want it.. " let the elected ones take the "heat" for changing it".......

and that came right from an elected official mouth .....LOL
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2015/07/01 15:47:56
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 15:55:10 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
why do you keep mentioning trespassing.... most land owners I know do not allow that 7 days a week.... why add one more day to intice hunters to do it ??

Trespassing and day of rest. Many landowners oppose stating that don't want to deal with trespassing hunters another day of the week. Some oppose because they want a day of rest. That is the biggest opposition to it.

my not wanting guys walking around on the bordering SGL on Sundays has nothing to do with trespassing.... they aren't....

In that case, you are correct.

as for fishing ... guys fishing near me or my home or property produce NO sense of any danger to me ....
guys hungry to shoot a moving big game animal do...  it's that simple ...

Well the facts show there really is nothing to worry about. Why perpetuate the fears. You driving to work and fishing is more dangerous to you than hunting.

is it really that terrible for us wanting one day a week in the fall , free of hunters, are we asking that much ?????

Is it terrible for a urbanite to want Saturdays free from hunters so they can hike? No other outdoor activity is illegal on Sunday. None. Hunters do not ask for an exclusive day to hunt free from all other outdoor activities, do they?

We deal with the 6 days a week  of hunters  that it is allowed now....

And the point you keep missing is many landowers deal with the 7 days of the week that every other outdoor activity is legal. "You" are not the only one "dealing" with outdoor activities. Every one is legal 7 days except hunting.

Do you really think the "general public" knows how safe hunting is ?

They don't. Work to educate them instead of playing into their concerns. The PFB threw hunters under the bus during the last bill discussion going to the press with how dangerous hunting is to the public to gain an edge. Their leadership and spokepeople should be flogged for that. Hunting is well documented as one of the safest outdoor sports that exists.

again not for trespassing.. but just "some" hunters.... do you have any idea how many are cited for safety zone violations every year even though they are not technically trespassing... just that they are to close to a dwelling..... I believe it is #2 in awarded citations....

Yep. That happens within our sport. If law enforcement took trespassing seriously, citations to particpants in non hunting sports would increase substantially.

that alone is scary to me .... they all know the law... but that big game animal might be right behind that camp or barn ..... or that deer is running across the pasture.. I don't see anyone ... I  won't miss ....
so BANG.... ooppps.. missed ..... keep shooting...

Again, go back to the safety record for hunting. The perception may be there, but the reality is your chances are extremely low for a incident. You are more likely to be asaulted in your own home by a stranger than hurt by a hunting accident.

we all see or hear it EVERY year.. to say it doesn't happen is only fooling oneself......

It happens. As it does with every outdoor sport, and just life accidents.

guns/hunting are safe in lawful people's hands and folks with common sense know it is not the gun that kills or injures people ... but look at all the efforts to take them from us because of the actions of a few .... 

Good example. Who is driving this? Politicians. Who do you want to keep regulating hunting on Sundays? Politicians.

JUST SAY NO TO HUNTING ON SUNDAY....

You can. Don't allow it on your property and don't partake if it becomes legal.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 16:08:17 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
BTW ---
one last comment .... my anti-Sunday hunting has NOTHING TO DO WITH harvesting more animals of any species..
I truly believe it will not have that great an impact.....

On that you and I agree. Minimal impact for the most part. If it were ever legal for deer, I would urge a slow guarded approach.

you want rabbits on Sunday .. just ask the PGC to show why that is needed and to seek support of our elected officials for that to be added to what can be hunted on Sunday....  they will NOT DO it ...

You do realize that if we based regulations and seasons on "need" most would be eliminated. We don't even need a rabbit season. Rabbits are controlled by means other than hunting. We don't "need" a archery season. A 3 week rifle season would take care of everything. You following me?

Most of our seasons are regulations are there to provide opportunity to hunters in a responsible way. Much of it is not "needed".

why do you think they are NOT the ones asking for Sunday hunting...they know majority of citizens/hunters do not want it.. " let the elected ones take the "heat" for changing it".......

Who is "they"? The PGC? The PGC passed a resolution suporting the transfer. They can't do a thing. Hunters? many have been asking for SH or a transfer of regulatory control for some time.

There is a law against SH. So yes, the elected ones should be those on the hot iron.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 16:17:11 (permalink)
for some of  those "other legal activities"  that are more dangerous than hunting there are safety precautions I can take...

driving = seat belts
fishing = life vests
ATV = helmets
biking = helmets
lightning = stay in doors
weed eating =  safety glasses
mowing the lawn = ear plugs
on and on

NONE of those put me in danger on my own property from OTHERS !!!

as for a trespasser or a possible assault from a stranger  = 9mm

I am not in favor of -  to be safe from a hunting accident =stay indoors

You are more likely to be asaulted in your own home by a stranger than hurt by a hunting accident

now who is =  Why perpetuate the fears.

I do not know one person personally that has happened to ...

I can not even BEGIN to tell you how many I know within just say 10 miles of here that have had an experience with some form of hunting incident.... it happens EVERY YEAR ...
anything from a bullet hole in a building ( which DOES NOT GET REPORTED by PGC) to pets, farm animals, or people getting injured or killed..

ranting over !!!   questions answered ...  not changing my mine ... :)

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/01 16:54:01 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
for some of  those "other legal activities"  that are more dangerous than hunting there are safety precautions I can take...

driving = seat belts
fishing = life vests
ATV = helmets
biking = helmets
lightning = stay in doors
weed eating =  safety glasses
mowing the lawn = ear plugs

The fact is even with seat bealts and helmets, injury rates are substantially higher than hunting. Way higher. Hunting is very safe doc to for the hunter and for non hunters in the area.

NONE of those put me in danger on my own property from OTHERS !!!

You are in virtually no danger by having hunters on your property. More of chance getting struck by lightning or assaulted.

I am not in favor of -  to be safe from a hunting accident =stay indoors

YOu don't have to stay indoors to be safe from a hunting accident. Statistics show you are more likely to hurt yourself in your own home or be assaulted by a stranger in your own home.

now who is =  Why perpetuate the fears.

You are. I have used known data. You have not.

I can not even BEGIN to tell you how many I know within just say 10 miles of here that have had an experience with some form of hunting incident.... it happens EVERY YEAR ...
anything from a bullet hole in a building ( which DOES NOT GET REPORTED by PGC) to pets, farm animals, or people getting injured or killed..

Think of all of the other outdoor activites that are legal every day of the week resulting in injuries that do not get reported.

The bottom line is you clinging to this bogus safety angle when the data is smacking you in the face.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 08:17:31 (permalink)
Sunday hunting expanding in North Carolina yesterday. The Governor signed into law a bill expanding SH to allow firearms hunting on private property on Sundays, except during the late morning hours.

Bow hunting is legal all day on Sundays.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 13:22:49 (permalink)
 allow firearms hunting on private property on Sundays, except during the late morning hours.

OKAY so maybe ...just maybe .. I could support this ....  ???????

what are late morning hours though ????
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 13:22:50 (permalink)
dpms
Sunday hunting expanding in North Carolina yesterday. The Governor signed into law a bill expanding SH to allow firearms hunting on private property on Sundays, except during the late morning hours.

Bow hunting is legal all day on Sundays.

And that effects us here in PA in what way?  What are you fishing for?
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 13:53:13 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
 allow firearms hunting on private property on Sundays, except during the late morning hours.

OKAY so maybe ...just maybe .. I could support this ....  ???????

what are late morning hours though ????

From an article I read:

9:30 - Noon.  

"The Sunday hunting will still be limited to private property, and hunters must stay at least 500 yards away from a church or a house not on the property. Hunting with firearms will remain barred in Wake and Mecklenburg counties. Other counties could opt out of Sunday hunting in 2017 with a local ordinance."
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 14:21:32 (permalink)
now we are starting to hear some possibilities ..... :)

9:30 - Noon.  

"The Sunday hunting will still be limited to private property, and hunters must stay at least 500 yards away from a church or a house not on the property. Hunting with firearms will remain barred in Wake and Mecklenburg counties. Other counties could opt out of Sunday hunting in 2017 with a local ordinance."

Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 14:36:48 (permalink)
I don't really care one way or the other what PA does in this regard.  

I'm a pastor, so Sunday morning hunts are pretty much out for me.  I'd probably hunt Sunday evenings for deer if given the opportunity.    

Lots of social issues surrounding the issue.  Like it or not, faith & religion play an important role in the lives of many, many landowners PA.  Especially rural areas, which are typically more traditional along those lines.  I understand the argument that a landowner could simply say, "No Sunday hunting," but I think the NC legislation provides some adequate teeth for landowners and others concerned about allowing their land to rest, noise or safety concerns or not wanting to be bothered by hunters at least one day a week.  

Although getting 500 yards away from homes on other property would probably be a challenge on most private property I hunt.  
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 15:17:05 (permalink)
fishin coyote
And that effects us here in PA in what way?

Quite a bit actually. Look at crossbows. Within the last 10 years, many states have fallen. Look at same sex marriage. 10 years ago most opossed it. Now, most favor it. As more states legalize Sunday hunting, it will be accepted as the norm and more states will fall. Only two states don't allow air rifles for hunting. That may be down to one state if our senate passes the current bill that moved swiftly through the house. Momentum is the name of the game.

What are you fishing for?
Mike

Fishing? That is legal on Sundays here and many trespass doing it.
post edited by dpms - 2015/07/09 15:20:05

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 15:25:02 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
now we are starting to hear some possibilities ..... :)

If you all remember when the first bill was floated around, one side wanted to sit down and discuss with the other side to look at concerns and see if there was some common ground that could be worked on. Stiffening trespass legislation was on the table. Private land versus public land. Signage. Specific species etc.....

One side would not even discuss the issue and may have lost their best chance or putting some teeth in our trespass laws.

There is room to work together. Yes, even in Pa.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 15:35:08 (permalink)
rsquared
Although getting 500 yards away from homes on other property would probably be a challenge on most private property I hunt.  

Yeah. I agree on that. Where I do a lot of hunting, 500 yards would be a tough deal.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 16:01:01 (permalink)
dpms
fishin coyote
And that effects us here in PA in what way?

Quite a bit actually. Look at crossbows. Within the last 10 years, many states have fallen. Look at same sex marriage. 10 years ago most opossed it. Now, most favor it. As more states legalize Sunday hunting, it will be accepted as the norm and more states will fall. Only two states don't allow air rifles for hunting. That may be down to one state if our senate passes the current bill that moved swiftly through the house. Momentum is the name of the game.

What are you fishing for?
Mike

Fishing? That is legal on Sundays here and many trespass doing it.

I'm thinking "forced to accept it" would be the norm..................

Maybe the Sunday Hunting Advocates could get the U.S. Supreme Idjuts to force landowners to accept S/H and make it unlawful for anyone to oppose that too!!

You want to hunt Sundays, buy or lease some land, I don't care what you do in your own backyard, at what time of the day or, 500 ft from a church!  

Just don't try shoving it to me(nooooooo pun intended) with B/S excuses and bogus "studies reveal" jargon.

Now, as far as Sunday Hunting goes, I shall remain open minded.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 16:10:32 (permalink)
any help here ???

Is it a rumor that some bakery owners got fined $125,000 for not making a wedding cake ???

Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 16:33:02 (permalink)
Dr. Trout
any help here ???

Is it a rumor that some bakery owners got fined $125,000 for not making a wedding cake ???

Not a rumor.  In fact, add $10 grand.  All the cash went to the couple that filed suit for "emotional damages."  Plus a gag order from the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry that the bake shop owners may not speak about the case.  
post edited by rsquared - 2015/07/09 16:41:46
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 17:12:48 (permalink)
Ummmmmmmm............  errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............. uhhhhhhhhhh..................

Don't make me get a court injunction forcing a return to the main issue of this thread!  I'll do it.......  so I will!

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: NEW LEGISLATION JUST INTRODUCED. 2015/07/09 17:50:45 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Don't make me get a court injunction forcing a return to the main issue of this thread!  I'll do it.......  so I will!

Its Fishin Coyote's fault. 

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: